Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

TRAVEL TO EUROPE V2, all about Europe here. ;)

views

yvonnesoo
post Sep 23 2016, 02:49 AM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(10&Counting @ Sep 21 2016, 12:00 PM)
Dec - winter in Iceland (very cold & usually windy making it colder)
2 weeks include flight means about 11 days for actual trip
KLM has flight to Iceland with transit in Amsterdam. Amsterdam airport is good for long transit.
Another alternatif, spent a night for two at any city that has connecting flight to Iceland to break journey.
Euro is the currency widely accepted and credit card is usually more welcome than cash even for the smallest amount.
how about going end of sep or beginning of oct? plan to self drive but i don't want to drive during winter as it snow and freezing. will there be any chance to see the aurora during that period? hmm.gif
yvonnesoo
post Sep 23 2016, 10:18 AM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(10&Counting @ Sep 23 2016, 09:03 AM)
Sept / Oct is ok but might still be a big challenge to drive in certain parts as weather has changed quite a bit now.
Self drive is always a risk in Iceland. You may be stuck for hours before any other car comes along especially in low season.
Yes, a good chance to see aurora. This year it was seen as early as August.
won't be traveling the whole circle or off road. probably will focus on reykjavik & the south region. not too remote am i right? as most traveler do this route including the golden circle. on sep/oct the road should be no snow yet i guess hmm.gif just wanna avoid the summer peak season

about the abandon dc plane, i read that one need to walk at least 4km before reaching that site?? shocking.gif can't find much latest info whether the car can drive further or near to the site or not as the landowner decided to closed the road leading to the place cry.gif
yvonnesoo
post Sep 23 2016, 01:30 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(10&Counting @ Sep 23 2016, 11:41 AM)
Are you going in a group?
Not so remote but some roads are not paved
If solo, better to take day trips from Reykjavik.

Not sure about the dc plane current happenings.
2 persons only haha
yvonnesoo
post Sep 23 2016, 02:46 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(10&Counting @ Sep 23 2016, 02:36 PM)
Check out both options and see.
If doing day tours go for small company as they have a smaller group (14 - 16 Max). Sometimes even less.
Bus tours will be really big groups
yeah i had survey all this. now waiting to purchase promo tickets.. else i will change to plan b. instead of go iceland, i go switzerland tongue.gif
yvonnesoo
post Sep 26 2016, 11:34 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Sep 26 2016, 08:40 PM)
you are back from your europe trip and planning for the next one? buzz me when there is an airline promo again k
seems that you also back already? hehe.. is that means you are planning for the next one too? europe too? tongue.gif yeah i'm planning for my next year trip brows.gif suppose wanna have a short trip end of december but after consideration, it's better to save the bullet for longer vacay biggrin.gif

waiting for any airline promo.. we both share info ya. buzz me too when you get to know any as well icon_idea.gif
yvonnesoo
post Sep 30 2016, 10:05 AM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(-Mogwai- @ Sep 29 2016, 05:55 PM)
during december will be in winter time and sometimes you can get heavy snowy. Last winter, 4 friends get skid to the roadside because of slippery surface.
they have to call the tow truck, pay to to the tow truck driver and pay to the rental company for fixing and it's cost lot because Iceland is
number 4 the most expensive country in the world to live.

I am not trying to discourage you, but this is according to friends' experience.

source: I was in Reykjavik, Iceland.
hi, sorry for hijack people post. would like to know whether will it be alright if drive during month of september or october or beginning of nov? don't have a fix date yet

This post has been edited by yvonnesoo: Sep 30 2016, 10:05 AM
yvonnesoo
post Sep 30 2016, 03:31 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(-Mogwai- @ Sep 30 2016, 03:28 PM)
hi yvonnesoo

from my experience, would be okay in september. if you try to avoid tourists, drive in mid of september as Icelandic school students started and price will get low for car rental. in September; at the night time, do not forget to view at sky and if you are lucky enough, you may catch the northern lights.

in term of safety: heavy snowy will start in end of November, thus September, October should be safe to drive as long as you follow speed limit and road sign rules.

weather: if you planning for cramper; be prepared for outdoor attire since the weather sometimes can drop to 0C at night and normal around 6-11C.

hope I am answering your question

-mogwai
thanks alot mogwai. it does really helps. has been asking around and couldn't find any firm answer to my questions. hopefully to catch the aurora lights too if lucky. so in your opinion should i book for the northern lights tour or trying my own luck? laugh.gif those experts should know where to catch the lights as they more familiar however the tour will be wasted if luck is on my side.. hmm.gif
yvonnesoo
post Sep 30 2016, 03:56 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(-Mogwai- @ Sep 30 2016, 03:41 PM)
it depends on your budget. if you have extra budget, you can book for the northern light tour.

for my point of view, try to save budget as the extra money, you can use for another country. actually, there is a trick if you would like to catch the northern lights, go bit outskirt of city center which you can't catch any light at all (the best on top of hill) [1] and from that point of view, you can catch the northern light for free  biggrin.gif

if you have extra budget: you can join the tour as price per head is around €675-900[2]

source: 1. I had the northern lights view in Norway and Iceland for free & twilight last year once in Norway for free too smile.gif
2. iceland-like-a-local.com

-mogwai
yes i'm planning to save it too for another country. i have read information on this too. just not sure whether driving at night to the outskirt (not sure where also haha) is easy or not. as i read that at night, the road is less lights. afraid get lost and no where to get help tongue.gif guess if not winter time should be no issue? probably will not put much hope on this aurora lights. plan it as an alternative and if lucky to catch it then it would be great. else if the purpose to go there just for the aurora and end up empty handed, sure very disappointed.

i also plan to go visit the dc plane wreck but read that is has been closed by landowner. now have to walk at least 1hr to the site. unsure whether still worth to go or not hmm.gif
yvonnesoo
post Sep 30 2016, 04:39 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(-Mogwai- @ Sep 30 2016, 04:29 PM)
yes, not good idea to drive at the night time as only 15-20% of roadside lights because Iceland now implementing for a green technology country. if you afraid of lost, download these 2 useful apps: here.com and map.me for offline maps. basically, if you lost out of nowhere, you can easily to ask help from local people, drivers that pass through as the Icelandic, they are really helpful, positive people and speak fluent english.

besides than Iceland, you can catch the northern lights in Finland and Norway.

plane wreck: the latest news, you can't get there anymore as lot of tourists disrespectful the area and landowner close the road.

may I know, you will travel alone or with friend to Reykjavik?

source: icelandmag.visir.is/article/landowners-have-closed-road-leading-plane-wreck-solheimasandur-beach

-mogwai
i knew they are friendly. just unsure will there be anyone if i'm out late at night. i guess probably the locals will be in their home early not like asian will be out till late hours as iceland is not a happening city anyway. of cause won't be traveling alone. will travel along with my partner. i just back from norway so not planning to go there that soon. knew about finland but not in my list yet. more further up = freezing laugh.gif

yes i read about the latest news that is why i'm in dilemma whether wanna walk that far or not.. sweat.gif have you been there? worth the walk?
yvonnesoo
post Sep 30 2016, 05:29 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(-Mogwai- @ Sep 30 2016, 05:08 PM)
yes it's worth it if you appreciate the history of the country. just go for it. where will you stay in Reykjavik? cheapest hostel that you can get is around €25 per night. if 2 people, go for airbnb. if you looking for free, couchsurfing.
haven't plan where to stay yet. but i guess will stay more than 1 place as i will explore south island and it's quite a distance to drive back to reykjavik right? thanks for the info smile.gif
yvonnesoo
post Oct 1 2016, 12:49 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(-Mogwai- @ Oct 1 2016, 02:44 AM)
Reykjavik to Vik = 180km like 2.15H drive
Reykjavik to Kirkjubæjarklaustur = 250km like 3H drive

both are south.
thanks i will plan which attractions to visit and come out a rough itinerary. from there only decide whether to drive back to reykjavik or not
yvonnesoo
post Jan 14 2017, 02:56 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

what is the best route to travel to switzerland or italy from kl so that can save on flight ticket? i mean as the base? eg to travel to iceland, people will usually use uk as their base so that flight ticket will be cheaper? i only know few route as i'm not a frequent traveler to europe. i know flying to amsterdam and paris is cheaper as it's the main hub for connecting to other european cities

This post has been edited by yvonnesoo: Jan 14 2017, 02:57 PM
yvonnesoo
post Jan 14 2017, 04:44 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Jan 14 2017, 03:00 PM)
coincidently i am also toying with the idea to italy this year  biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif share some idea and planning please
yvonnesoo
post Jan 14 2017, 08:15 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Jan 14 2017, 05:14 PM)
just at dreaming phase only.
venice-milan-rome-vatican city maybe
dream already then can start planning hehehe

those places you mentioned, i also plan to go
yvonnesoo
post Jan 15 2017, 01:09 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(avantasia @ Jan 14 2017, 09:15 PM)
Last december i took a route from KL to amsterdam then going back to KL from Rome Italy. RM12,400 3 adult 2 child using emirates

From amsterdam we travel by ICE to cologne, germany €224. From cologne we travel back to the hague, stay 2 night then from rotterdam central we travel by thalys to Paris Nord €180.

At Paris we stay around Gare du nord so that easier to travel earlier by eurostar to London St Pancras £223.
From London we fly to Milan, Italy by easyjet £135 stay half day at duomo milano and then we travel by trenitalia frecciarossa 1000 from Milano centrale to Napoli Centrale €280. Stay at pompeii 3 night and travel to rome by trenitalia frecciarossa 1000 €140....

Next schedule is from rome to florence by .italo high speed train €29.90/person 1 way.
whoa seems like the route is quite complicated.. i don't plan to go london nor paris so it might not suits me
yvonnesoo
post Jan 19 2017, 02:46 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(tientien @ Jan 15 2017, 08:13 PM)
My experience 2 yrs back, start with Paris since u can easily get ticket below 2200, then down to switzerland n milan. From milan I took night train back to Paris, 3 of us taken 1 cabin to have privacy n i had a very good sleep.
N I just bought ticket to ams this yr, hands too itchy, should have wait price drop below 2000
i hold my horses haha.. cause unsure whether to london & iceland or switzerland & italy
air ticket to ams can get lower then 2k?? hmm.gif btw, which airline you bought your ams ticket?

QUOTE(azkoleq @ Jan 19 2017, 02:02 PM)
I think it is a good price. I bought the same promo last year to paris for rm1870. Price this year increase due to weak ringgit.
paris this price is good. i guess because of a few attacks in paris that cause the tourism low hence they try to put promo price to paris? tongue.gif
yvonnesoo
post Jan 20 2017, 01:24 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(tientien @ Jan 19 2017, 09:56 PM)
I saw last yr price below 2k, actually i wan to wait till march matta fair promotion, tats d time i saw many air ticket to euro priced below 2k last yr. i bought qatar airway to ams at 2040, i checked iceland accomodation at some places taking up pretty fast n limitted, so better get d ticket done then i can sort out accomodation soonest. My planning tis yr ams-iceland-london-ams biggrin.gif
oh really?? i plan to go iceland too. which month you are going? i'm still decided hmm.gif

so you are flying in to iceland via ams route? from kl to london the ticket is more pricier compare to amsterdam? i thought of flying in to iceland via london as i want to have the stamping on my passport tongue.gif
yvonnesoo
post Jan 24 2017, 02:06 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(digitalz @ Jan 23 2017, 04:41 PM)
For those planning to go to Iceland, why not try flying from Edinburgh instead of London? smile.gif
more better?
yvonnesoo
post Jan 24 2017, 02:07 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(tientien @ Jan 21 2017, 01:38 AM)
I going sept, London is 2 or 3 hundreds extra compare to ams, but from london u gt more choice of flights to iceland n is cheaper.
ahhh ic. september is a peak season though. i plan to go on oct..
yvonnesoo
post Feb 6 2017, 12:20 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(tientien @ Jan 25 2017, 05:48 PM)
Sept is low season la,  initially i plan to go on oct also but i wan to go north as well which may run into snowing condition. I had driven on snowy road b4 n its not fun, i wan to avoid tat biggrin.gif
sep still consider ending of summer ma.. kekeke.. travel to europe cities before on that month and accommodation is still high.. going to the north means norway or finland? cause i plan to see northern lights if got chance.. that's why i plan oct

QUOTE(digitalz @ Jan 26 2017, 09:03 AM)
Well, you can explore Edinburgh, and its easier to travel as well in Edinburgh compared to London. Hahahaha.
ahh icic.. thanks

This post has been edited by yvonnesoo: Feb 6 2017, 12:22 PM

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0993sec    0.33    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:53 AM