Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

TRAVEL TO EUROPE V2, all about Europe here. ;)

views

lyc1982
post Jan 24 2017, 02:14 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(kitkit88 @ Jan 24 2017, 11:19 AM)
hi all, any comments on this brief itenerary?

4/1/17 (KL-Rome)
8/2/17 Rome to Florence
10/2/17 Florence to Venice
12/2/17 Venice to Milan
14/2/17 Milan to Barcelona
17/2/17 Barcelona to Paris
20/2/17 Paris to London
25/2/17 London to KL
IMO:
milan to paris
paris to barcelona
fly from barcelona to london
lyc1982
post Feb 14 2017, 01:06 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ Feb 14 2017, 10:56 AM)
europe travel there 13 days is it sufficient?
13 days for 4 cities...average 3 days one place
if 3 cities even better if you like to wander around off-tourist paths
lyc1982
post Feb 14 2017, 04:50 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ Feb 14 2017, 04:27 PM)
i see. thanks for the replies.

is it too late to plan for a europe trip from 7 march 2017 to 19 march 2017?

which airline will be the most affordable and good one?

how long is the journey?

what kind of budget/money spent required for this duration of europe trip?
which airline is affordable + good, duration etc....check google flights and skyscanner.net to compare
lyc1982
post Apr 20 2017, 01:02 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

just based on the map....if wanna minimize repeated route:

berlin - prague - krakow - budapest - bratislava - vienna

OR you do it the other way around

my previous trip route was:

prague - vienna - salzburg - zurich - paris

This post has been edited by lyc1982: Apr 20 2017, 01:03 PM
lyc1982
post Apr 20 2017, 01:11 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(Docile @ Apr 20 2017, 01:09 PM)
Hi lyc, i was thinking to include Zurich too, do u think Vienna to Zurich is good?
Which means i land in Berlin, and then fly back from Zurich.
yea why not...i took the overnight train from innsbruck (austria) to zurich

swiss has breathtaking views
lyc1982
post Apr 20 2017, 01:17 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(Docile @ Apr 20 2017, 01:12 PM)
Thanks. But is the city expensive?
I'm a backpacker and will mostly stay in cheap airbnb.
Do you think MYR15k is enough to do this?
And how much does the overnight train cost?
generally stuff in swiss are more exp compared to other european countries...

you are planning for 6-7 different cities in 6-7 different countries right ? how many days ?

the overnight train cost might have changed over the years as i took it like 4 years ago...you can check on https://www.raileurope.com/train-tickets/?country_origin=AP.
for the amount of countries that you gonna visit by train...i suggest you to consider Eurail Pass to save costs

lyc1982
post Apr 20 2017, 01:34 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(Docile @ Apr 20 2017, 01:19 PM)
I am looking at 3-4 weeks maximum.
Don't you think bus is cheaper?
I know that there are times when we can take the overnight train to save cost on the accomodation.
I still don't know how eurail pass works but im definitely looking into it.
let's assume 4 weeks (28 days), means rm15k divided by 28 days = rm535 (~110 euro) per day
accommodation - not sure how much will it cost for backpacking in a hostel, based on my experience sharing a room with 9 other backpackers costed me around 20-30 euro/night ?
food - assuming 10 euro per meal, 3 meals per day = 30 euro
left with 50 euro for transports / entrance tickets / shopping etc
i guess if you are thrifty enough should be able to survive...

bus definitely cheaper than trains...but you have to consider these few things:
- the comfort of long hours sitting in the bus
- the travelling duration is certainly longer than train, which means wasting time on the road
- the uncertainties of bus breaking down
lyc1982
post Apr 20 2017, 02:02 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(Docile @ Apr 20 2017, 01:43 PM)
Thanks for breaking it down for me, i was actually planning MYR15k including flights hahaha.
Just checked expedia KL to Prague and Zurich to KL would cost MYR3.5k (cheapest)
I guess i might just drop Berlin, would prefer Zurich over Berlin though, and probably shrink it to 3 weeks which is 21 days.

Prague - 3 nights
Krakow - 3 nights
Budapest - 3 nights
Bratislava - 2 nights
Vienna - 3 nights
Zurich - 3-4 nights

The remaining nights i would probably fit into some cheap cities, for me to relax and sleep, do laundry and etc.

It seems like the Eurail Pass, best suits my trip would be the Global Pass, which covering 5 countries or more (€305)  sad.gif
But for transport wise definitely need to spend more time to do research.
What do you think overall? Do you think this is wise?
I'm sorry for asking so much coz u r kinda my only sifu here.
nay...i am just sharing merely based on my own experience...not sifu haha

rm15k including air fares assuming rm3k+ return...even with 3 weeks also same budget as per my first calculation

you can do laundry with airbnb, just need to find the ones with washing machine + dryer...that's what i always do

overall the itinerary looks ok to me....again if taking bus then you may be spending lesser time in each city, sometimes flight is cheaper or same price with train...have to check frequently

in swiss you can visit zurich / bern / interlaken (alps view) / geneva...

never visited krakow / budapest / bratislava...so can't give you any advice

btw...you going alone or ?

lyc1982
post Apr 20 2017, 03:13 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(Docile @ Apr 20 2017, 02:11 PM)
I will be going with a travelmate, so 2 girls.
Kinda worry about the trains too, like u see in the movie Hostel or Hostel 2...but worst case is i die, no big deal.

Most of the time we would be staying in airbnb that comes with a washer at least, and breakfast probably will settle in house before go out, and maybe cook dinner if we are back home early.

Many thanks for your advise, at least now i have a clear picture on how the route would be, after flight ticket is purchased then only can do in depth research.
First time travelling to Europe, kinda excited and nervous at the same time. Do you have blog or anything regarding your trip? Mind to share?
Did you went alone? Any useful tips and tricks? I will be going on Sept this year.
2 girls...generally europe is a safe place...but make sure you bring your passports along whenever you are outside, keep your valuables in your front pocket, avoid crowded places, don't venture into dark alleys alone etc
if you see ppl approaching you for no apparent reasons and wanna let you wear something like flower bracelet or anything, stay away as they will demand you to pay even though they say it's free in the first place.

hostel 1 & 2 happen in slovakia or slovenia if iinm ? laugh.gif
for a first timer i would probably advise to go mainstream cities such as london / amsterdam / berlin...not bratislava or krakow

unfortunately i don't have a travel blog although i did plan to write, in the end i only record the experiences in my memories and some personal notes...

first few trips went alone, the adventures were awesome...can do whatever i like without worrying the other travel mates

sep is the start of autumn...temperature wise should be ok as i hate travelling in summer time
lyc1982
post Apr 20 2017, 04:03 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(Docile @ Apr 20 2017, 03:43 PM)
Yeah i guess Sept will be rather chilly and less crowd...
So far im not strong enough to travel alone yet, coward. But definitely will try one day.

Thanks alot for your advise and opinion.
If i have other question can i PM you?  biggrin.gif
sure you can PM me...

the sifus here can also assist you
lyc1982
post Apr 20 2017, 11:26 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(glozz @ Apr 20 2017, 09:01 PM)
Mid/End-September is around the very early beginnings of Autumn, it depends on the part of Europe; but Germany/Prague will be in the 15-20 C range, which is nice and cool (it's the Genting/aircond temperature range). Summer is generally from Mid/end-May until August; with slight fluctuations now that the weather here has gone completely bonkers! It's snowing here this week and it's supposed to be Spring!

I like Sept-late Oct/Early Nov. It generally goes in the 10-20 C range, which is perfect for my wife to wear shorts and slippers still.  biggrin.gif
Depends where you go. Also; the further east you head, be careful! The temperature peaks during the day and can go to 20-25 and the drops at night can be quite sudden; and drop as low as 15 or so. I fell sick once in Poland in June because it was 30 C and freaking hot during the daytime but suddenly dropped to 15 C with bad winds at night. I was still out (after dinner) with shorts and short sleeved shirt without layers because I thought I would be over-dressed!

The locals could be used to it; but be careful!

Also; Oktoberfest tends to be over-rated; most locals tend not to go to Munich during that time period but celebrate it in their local pubs/beer gardens. Apparently; each City has a special way of spending Oktoberfest. When we were visiting Austria during the Oktoberfest; there was a music festival every night in the city we were staying at (Graz).

The temperatures around the mediterranean coast are the warmest in Europe. It's still quite comfortable during winter! I've noticed that France tends to be warmer than Germany/Prague in most cases. The weird thing was Vienna (during my trips) had been colder than Prague; but I was told it's due to the landscape causing the temperature differences; so that plays a part too. Apparently...

Having used the EUrail pass previously; my personal opinion is that from Prague onwards east, train ticket prices are very similar to what you pay for in Asia; so I wouldn't get the EUrail pass if you're headed that way (After Prague). Use the EUrail pass in countries which are $$$, Central Europe generally. Otherwise, some budget airlines could be really cheap; but train could save you an overnight hotel (and time!) Also; remember that EUrail passes don't cover the cost of reserving a bunk/bed.

Looking at your country list, it's not bad, but I have personally been told Bratislava's quite boring and not more than 2 days/1 night. But why Zurich? That's the most boring (and $$$) place (in my opinion) out of the whole of Switzerland...
My sister did a 5-weeks EU trip last year, and she did the below:

Netherlands (Amsterdam, a couple more small towns)
Belgium (Brussels, Bruges, Antwerp, a couple more small towns)
Luxembourg
Germany (Frankfurt, Munich a couple more small towns)

That took her about 16 days or so; I guess they didn't rush it though. Then she met me (I drove from Prague) on the outskirts of Munich and we went to the below, took about 15 days:

Germany (Fussen to see the famous "disney" castle)
Switzerland (Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken and surrounding towns/hills/villages, Zermatt, St. Moritz)
Austria (Salzburg, Hallstatt, Vienna, Dachau)
Czech Republic (Cesky Raj, Bohemian Switzerland, Bastei (in Germany), Prague, Cesky Krumlov and some other towns)

Then they left and covered Berlin and couple more towns before flying out of Amsterdam.
The general rule in Europe is #1: There's no such thing as FREE THINGS!!! So; if people approach you to give/do things for you; remember #1!!
I personally like Autumn; less people and the weather is not as weird/fluctuating as Spring. Spring weather can sometimes feel like Winter; depending on where you are. Just last weekend; Prague weather was really weird, raining and cold wind in 1 part of the city while sun shining in the other part. Really bad winds though. And this week is now snowing! Although today's sunny now though...
i like zurich, but not as much as interlaken
Luxembourg boring for me..
lyc1982
post Apr 30 2017, 12:37 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(Kendywen @ Apr 30 2017, 02:53 AM)
Hi! Now Msia to Europe valid to stay for 3 months? May I know how much is the Visa cost?
msian passport don't require visa to enter most of the european countries ...and yes can stay for 90 days without visa
lyc1982
post May 3 2017, 03:01 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(babysiew @ May 2 2017, 11:28 AM)
Hi all, going to Europe for my 10th wedding anniversary next year. Planning right now and waiting for good air ticket sale. I am going around July to Aug for 3 weeks. Just my hubby and I. For first timers, which country shld we go? We are dead set on Italy, Paris and Switzerland. Another other countries that we can squeeze in? We are looking at 4 countries for 21 days. Thanks!
can consider austria since it's neighbouring swiss
lyc1982
post May 11 2017, 02:22 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(digitalz @ May 11 2017, 08:24 AM)
Let me do a recommendation since it's your 10th year wedding anniversary. When in Italy, try go along Cinque Terre. Its 5 beautiful towns connected along the coast and it's just brilliant. Not trying to be a stereotype or anything here but certain cities are either overrated or just too "touristy", that is unless you go wander around and "get lost" in the beauty of the cities itself.
Which country? Which City? Probably gonna need more details from you too. Oh yeah, end of this year, around Dec/Nov?
for first timers...i would suggest to stick to the mainstream cities first instead of venturing into unknown territories, once you got a hold of it then can venture into off-paths.
lyc1982
post May 12 2017, 01:47 AM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(digitalz @ May 11 2017, 08:10 PM)
Alright. But just as an advice, the weather has been crazy for the past few years. I am now in Spring and we still got snow for one or two sunny afternoon. If you are planning UK, I would recommend Scotland. London Edinburgh Amsterdam Belgium/Germany/France then back to Malaysia.
Depending on preferences. Some like to explore some like to go to big cities. Personally I like both.
the reason i am suggesting that is because you are in an alien place...if you get lost at off-paths it's not easy to get help, especially when the ppl there don't speak english unless you have done extensive homework that can bail you out

my preference is first trip visit main cities...when i am more familiar then i would venture into unfamiliar places in the next trip
lyc1982
post May 15 2017, 09:47 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(meihong @ May 15 2017, 09:25 PM)
You can have a look at our tour package - see my signature - which may also serve as reference on which major cities that you can visit  rclxms.gif
you can intro your tour package to the first timers here as i don't fancy joining tours...i like to tailor my own itineraries with the things i am interested in

and i have been to quite a few major cities already...
lyc1982
post May 17 2017, 09:56 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(babysiew @ May 17 2017, 05:02 PM)
We are planning this for 21D and 20N... I was thinking, shld we cut down a few nights at Rome and Florence and go to Austria instead? Many ppl said Austria must go since we go Swiss. Aduh pening haha

Paris France 3N
Swiss Alps Switzerland 3N
Lucerne Switzerland 2N
Munich Germany 3N
Fly from munich to venice
Venice Italy 1N
Cinque Terre 1N
Florence Italy 3N (pitstop Pisa on the way to Florence)
Rome Italy 4N

IF to go AUSTRIA:

Paris France 3N
Swiss Alps Switzerland 2N
Lucerne Switzerland 2N
Salzburg 2N (Hallstat and St Wolfgang)
Vienna 1N
Munich Germany 3N
Fly from munich to venice
Venice Italy 1N
Cinque Terre 1N
Florence Italy 2N (Pisa/Tuscany)
Rome Italy 3N

Feasible?
you were asking for 4 countries initially hence i suggested austria...

anyways...your first itinerary is better, keep austria and czech for next trip...1 day in vienna definitely insufficient

lyc1982
post May 19 2017, 11:20 AM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(babysiew @ May 19 2017, 09:48 AM)
My friend did a day tour to hallstat. She said it is a must cos very beautiful.
Interlaken seems good. Maybe a day tour from Lucerne since it is 1 hr only?

Paris to Swiss Alps by train most probably. 8 hrs
Lucerne to Munich is a 6 hrs train ride.

neuschwanstein looks so good!!! Train ride is only Euro7 and takes 1 hour. Will put in my itinerary. Any other good places? We put 3 days cos at least for a country we r there for 3 days. Like Switzerland, add up total 4 nights, Paris 3 nights, Germany 3 nights, Austria 3 nights. Italy is my dream so thats why we have more nights there. We can take day tours.

Yes going to Tuscany and Siena. my fren did a day tour. Worth it she said.
Yes mostly all by train. Unless flying shorter time and price is right.

meaning drive from Paris to Switzerland? a bit worried to drive in Europe. I read forums they said why need a car while the railway is well connected hehe...

Thanks for ur wonderful advice!!!
interlaken one day trip...definitely not enough

trust me...

itinerary all seem hunky dory but you need to allocate some time for unexpected events such as missing the train...train schedule not fit your timing...having hard time searching for your accommodations etc etc, those will shorten your vacation time...especially when you are newbie in those foreign lands

btw....italy alone 7 days might be able to cover all places

This post has been edited by lyc1982: May 19 2017, 11:21 AM
lyc1982
post May 19 2017, 11:30 AM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(babysiew @ May 19 2017, 11:28 AM)
Itinerary seems not flexible but we are. If we cant make it, then so be it. At least we have been there once in our lifetime.

Switzerland, we will have 4 nights. We will be based at Lauterbrunnen. Then from there make day trips and etc. All accommodations we will prebook because we will be going during summer. Kiddo's holiday so no choice but to go during summer which is the peak zzz!
with kid even more time needed...

good luck and have fun !

p/s: pre-book doesn't mean you don't need time to search for the location

This post has been edited by lyc1982: May 19 2017, 11:36 AM
lyc1982
post May 19 2017, 11:43 AM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(punei @ May 19 2017, 11:38 AM)
Hai there. Enjoy your trip. Swiss, especially Interlaken & Tuscany region indeed are beautifull places. CT also, if u into hiking its really suitable for you as u can hike from 2nd village (Manarola) to the last village instead ride the train. FYI the 1st village to 2nd village trail is closed due to land slide.

Source: Just came back from 1 month trip around Central and West Europe.
i've been to swiss twice...never get bored with the scenery especially during winter

14 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0999sec    0.38    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:00 PM