Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

TRAVEL TO EUROPE V2, all about Europe here. ;)

views

christ14
post Mar 15 2017, 12:16 AM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(glozz @ Mar 14 2017, 11:01 PM)
I have; posted about it before. Seen the lights 3 times...
wow sad.gif ayam planning but budget x cukup
christ14
post Mar 15 2017, 06:39 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(glozz @ Mar 15 2017, 05:05 PM)
Well; it's not cheap, but we did it on an "OK" budget. For the 1st trip (2014 I think) we spent on average ~EU150 per night for 2 persons including accomodation (chalet in camp ground with shared toilet), groceries (self-cook) and car rental in our 1st destination - Tromso, Norway. This is considered cheap for the area.
Due to bad weather conditions, we decided to go east to Finland since it's much cheaper and we had EURail passes that we bought (we took the train from Prague where we live). So, we ended up in Ivalo, Finland and spent ~EU50 per night for 2 persons, but no car; although we brought bikes along, so we were still "OK". Managed to see it great on the last night.

Our last trip (2015); we went with 2 other friends for a group of 4 persons and focused solely on Finland (Ivalo, Inari, Nuorgam) to see the lights due to $$$-concerns. We spent in total EU480 per person for 4 nights of chasing the lights (min. 3 nights required for 75% success rate) and other expenses and included flights (from Prague), car rental, rental of accomodation (houses/flats with toilets), petrol and groceries for self-cooking. We managed to see the lights on the 3rd and 4th nights, so we were definitely satisfied.

So; all in, you don't have to spend crazy $$$ to see the lights. All it takes is a willingness to rough it out (shared toilets, self-cook, etc) as your major expenses are transportation, accomodation and food. And, I can't stress how important praying for good weather is.  laugh.gif
Lapland man, Helsinki is too far south. You need to be north of the artic circle to see it "during season".

Found the old thread on this.

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=3386979&hl=
wow...holy lights... hahahah i thought those can be seen daily but i guess its like another form of "weather" if it comes then it comes.

i guess the thing is the more the merrier. because u can save up alot if in a group of say 4 rather than alone/couple hmm.gif duly noted. will plan this out.
christ14
post Mar 20 2017, 11:01 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

i didnt know ang mohs story can be so long laugh.gif

end up reading 1 line of travel stuff hahhahahaha
christ14
post Apr 20 2017, 04:34 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Apr 20 2017, 04:03 PM)
Personally? SPRING!

It's cooling, has some sun but it's really cooling. Photos will turn out amazing, and it's convenient to travel around (without all your winter stuffs) and not forgetting the scenery is much better, with flowers everywhere and longer daylight! Sun sets about 9~10PM. It's already Spring btw. During Winter, people are colder (I feel that the moods and atmosphere among the people change according to seasons as well), shops close earlier, night comes faster, harder to travel with all the clothes. But it's up to you, different seasons will give your an entirely new perspective and views.  cool2.gif
wow

its already spring there? cant plan for a quick getaway then for Q3 sweat.gif
christ14
post Apr 20 2017, 10:00 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(glozz @ Apr 20 2017, 09:01 PM)
Mid/End-September is around the very early beginnings of Autumn, it depends on the part of Europe; but Germany/Prague will be in the 15-20 C range, which is nice and cool (it's the Genting/aircond temperature range). Summer is generally from Mid/end-May until August; with slight fluctuations now that the weather here has gone completely bonkers! It's snowing here this week and it's supposed to be Spring!

I like Sept-late Oct/Early Nov. It generally goes in the 10-20 C range, which is perfect for my wife to wear shorts and slippers still.  biggrin.gif
Depends where you go. Also; the further east you head, be careful! The temperature peaks during the day and can go to 20-25 and the drops at night can be quite sudden; and drop as low as 15 or so. I fell sick once in Poland in June because it was 30 C and freaking hot during the daytime but suddenly dropped to 15 C with bad winds at night. I was still out (after dinner) with shorts and short sleeved shirt without layers because I thought I would be over-dressed!

The locals could be used to it; but be careful!

Also; Oktoberfest tends to be over-rated; most locals tend not to go to Munich during that time period but celebrate it in their local pubs/beer gardens. Apparently; each City has a special way of spending Oktoberfest. When we were visiting Austria during the Oktoberfest; there was a music festival every night in the city we were staying at (Graz).

The temperatures around the mediterranean coast are the warmest in Europe. It's still quite comfortable during winter! I've noticed that France tends to be warmer than Germany/Prague in most cases. The weird thing was Vienna (during my trips) had been colder than Prague; but I was told it's due to the landscape causing the temperature differences; so that plays a part too. Apparently...

Having used the EUrail pass previously; my personal opinion is that from Prague onwards east, train ticket prices are very similar to what you pay for in Asia; so I wouldn't get the EUrail pass if you're headed that way (After Prague). Use the EUrail pass in countries which are $$$, Central Europe generally. Otherwise, some budget airlines could be really cheap; but train could save you an overnight hotel (and time!) Also; remember that EUrail passes don't cover the cost of reserving a bunk/bed.

Looking at your country list, it's not bad, but I have personally been told Bratislava's quite boring and not more than 2 days/1 night. But why Zurich? That's the most boring (and $$$) place (in my opinion) out of the whole of Switzerland...
My sister did a 5-weeks EU trip last year, and she did the below:

Netherlands (Amsterdam, a couple more small towns)
Belgium (Brussels, Bruges, Antwerp, a couple more small towns)
Luxembourg
Germany (Frankfurt, Munich a couple more small towns)

That took her about 16 days or so; I guess they didn't rush it though. Then she met me (I drove from Prague) on the outskirts of Munich and we went to the below, took about 15 days:

Germany (Fussen to see the famous "disney" castle)
Switzerland (Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken and surrounding towns/hills/villages, Zermatt, St. Moritz)
Austria (Salzburg, Hallstatt, Vienna, Dachau)
Czech Republic (Cesky Raj, Bohemian Switzerland, Bastei (in Germany), Prague, Cesky Krumlov and some other towns)

Then they left and covered Berlin and couple more towns before flying out of Amsterdam.
The general rule in Europe is #1: There's no such thing as FREE THINGS!!! So; if people approach you to give/do things for you; remember #1!!
I personally like Autumn; less people and the weather is not as weird/fluctuating as Spring. Spring weather can sometimes feel like Winter; depending on where you are. Just last weekend; Prague weather was really weird, raining and cold wind in 1 part of the city while sun shining in the other part. Really bad winds though. And this week is now snowing! Although today's sunny now though...
how much was spent on the 16 days from netherlands to germany?
christ14
post Apr 21 2017, 06:44 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

reading so much incidents there. most updated on paris. hope all travellers safe and be mindful on surroundings
christ14
post Sep 9 2017, 11:36 AM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(zipZ @ Sep 9 2017, 10:38 AM)
I am planning to go Switzerland (Lucern & interleaken), Barcelona, Venice, and Santhorini, I have a few questions, i hope someone can give me some advice:
1. I would like to add one more city or country, where do you recommend?
2. Do i need visa if i travel these few places?
3. Anyone travel these few places before can send me your itinerary for reference as i am planning to travel in March 2018 for my honeymoon.
for 2.

i refer here usually : Malaysia outgoing visa
christ14
post Oct 26 2017, 10:26 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

fuh... keep read all this. makes my bank cry if i go to eur
christ14
post Nov 17 2017, 07:38 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(Docile @ Nov 17 2017, 05:23 PM)
Hi lyc1982 will u be going to iceland too? I see u been asking question about this land of extreme  tongue.gif

Yep i have been searching high and low in google but i would prefer some info from fellow malaysians too, we have similar lifestyle afterall.
Everything is so expensive in iceland so i would have to do my homework well, if possible wanna keep my budget at 10k.
Only 2 of us will be going. Will be renting 4x4 and prefer to cook our own meals to save wang.
Can i tag along?
christ14
post Nov 18 2017, 04:37 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(Docile @ Nov 18 2017, 11:16 AM)
Hi, i did ask my sister if we should jio people to join us to split the car rental and petrol but she said she is not so comfortable.
Im so sorry about that  sad.gif
Haha noted. Its hard going alone. Cuz the fare would be sole burden.
christ14
post Nov 18 2017, 04:37 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(Docile @ Nov 18 2017, 11:16 AM)
Hi, i did ask my sister if we should jio people to join us to split the car rental and petrol but she said she is not so comfortable.
Im so sorry about that  sad.gif
Haha noted. Its hard going alone. Cuz the fare would be sole burden.
christ14
post Feb 6 2018, 04:32 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(nles @ Feb 6 2018, 03:59 PM)
Ya was initially planning for Amsterdam as well. But if I buy one way ticket to London, then back from Amsterdam the different quite huge.
how many pax?

am trying to plan for a very short trip as i have 2 weeks off. but not sure where to go hahaha some more abit cold now weather sweat.gif
christ14
post Feb 7 2018, 12:17 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(nles @ Feb 7 2018, 01:56 AM)
I'm going alone, but meeting my friend at Brussels for Tomorrowland.
I'm also around 2 weeks off.

If I buy 2 way ticket to London then my itinerary would be
London>Paris>Brussels>Amsterdam>London
cool. thanks for the heads up. will mix and match some place from other ppl itinerary if i do go haha
christ14
post Feb 11 2018, 11:02 AM

Regular
1,503 posts

i got a noob ques. sorry if asked before. iceland using euros? cuz i see they have their own money but dont think our local money changer got it hmm.gif
christ14
post Feb 11 2018, 12:54 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Feb 11 2018, 12:41 PM)
No, they use kronur. Bring USD/EURO to change there.
thankies chubby-chu
christ14
post Feb 12 2018, 08:40 AM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(pitapupux @ Feb 12 2018, 07:16 AM)
The last time I went only used credit card, you can pay everything with credit card, even toilet biggrin.gif
shocking.gif shocking.gif notworthy.gif thanks sifu, then i wont bother to change haha

can i ask how many times u went? just checking the flight integrity, will have alot delays or cancellation or not.

was thinking of squeezing a few days of iceland inside LHR>paris>amsterdam>LHR trip sweat.gif
christ14
post Feb 12 2018, 12:39 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(lyc1982 @ Feb 12 2018, 10:44 AM)
first...how many days in total for your trip ?

and you can use CC in iceland...because if you can't finish ISK, you won't be able to use it elsewhere, kinda wasted...
but take note the gas stations only accept 4-digit pin code on CC
2 weeks

alot of people are renting cars to get around though. thats what i've been reading. is it really feasible for a solo traveler? hmm.gif
christ14
post Feb 12 2018, 02:08 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(lyc1982 @ Feb 12 2018, 01:12 PM)
2 weeks in winter period or...?

if winter...then 7 days in iceland to tour south region.

yes, self driving can see a lot more places...if you can't use your CC at gas stations, you have to either buy prepaid cards from N1 or go to a manned gas station.

solo traveler i won't recommend though...there have been few cases whereby the solo traveler went missing and can't be found...during winter the paths can be quite slippery and if you slip and fall into the cliffs/waterfalls...then that's it
mother of god..... shocking.gif

last minute plan. in 2 weeks time to fly unsure.gif unsure.gif
christ14
post Feb 12 2018, 03:45 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(lyc1982 @ Feb 12 2018, 02:11 PM)
by the way...

the roads in iceland mostly closed these few days due to heavy snow and blizzard

so you might be stuck at same location for hours / day
so its not a good idea to visit then? sweat.gif guess its for next time hmm.gif
christ14
post Mar 1 2018, 02:00 AM

Regular
1,503 posts

beast from the east arrived. and my flights in 6hr damn.... scared cold and cancel all the bus

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0978sec    0.31    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:22 PM