Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> TRAVEL TO EUROPE V2, all about Europe here. ;)

yvonnesoo
post Apr 20 2017, 04:52 PM
Wanderluster
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(Docile @ Apr 20 2017, 03:54 PM)
OMG do you mean Sept will be hot?
I checked the weather forecast it would most likely be around 19-21 celcius.
I don't want hot...i hate it.. don't like to be icky and sticky.
What month is comfortable? Can dress thin and it wont be too cold.
end of sep will be ok. beginning of sep is quite warm and hot. plus some place no aircond brows.gif

QUOTE(Duckies @ Apr 20 2017, 03:55 PM)
I think I'll like Berlin.

Hmm what is the best time to go? I don't like summer.

London > Paris > Amsterdam > Berlin
spring or autumn would be nice. i also dislike summer and summer is peak season in western countries hahaha. if u wanna go berlin. oct would be great cause oct fest tongue.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
glozz
post Apr 20 2017, 09:01 PM
"Robocop"

QUOTE(Docile @ Apr 20 2017, 03:54 PM)
OMG do you mean Sept will be hot?
I checked the weather forecast it would most likely be around 19-21 celcius.
I don't want hot...i hate it.. don't like to be icky and sticky.
What month is comfortable? Can dress thin and it wont be too cold.
Mid/End-September is around the very early beginnings of Autumn, it depends on the part of Europe; but Germany/Prague will be in the 15-20 C range, which is nice and cool (it's the Genting/aircond temperature range). Summer is generally from Mid/end-May until August; with slight fluctuations now that the weather here has gone completely bonkers! It's snowing here this week and it's supposed to be Spring!

I like Sept-late Oct/Early Nov. It generally goes in the 10-20 C range, which is perfect for my wife to wear shorts and slippers still. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(yvonnesoo @ Apr 20 2017, 04:52 PM)
end of sep will be ok. beginning of sep is quite warm and hot. plus some place no aircond  brows.gif
spring or autumn would be nice. i also dislike summer and summer is peak season in western countries hahaha. if u wanna go berlin. oct would be great cause oct fest  tongue.gif
Depends where you go. Also; the further east you head, be careful! The temperature peaks during the day and can go to 20-25 and the drops at night can be quite sudden; and drop as low as 15 or so. I fell sick once in Poland in June because it was 30 C and freaking hot during the daytime but suddenly dropped to 15 C with bad winds at night. I was still out (after dinner) with shorts and short sleeved shirt without layers because I thought I would be over-dressed!

The locals could be used to it; but be careful!

Also; Oktoberfest tends to be over-rated; most locals tend not to go to Munich during that time period but celebrate it in their local pubs/beer gardens. Apparently; each City has a special way of spending Oktoberfest. When we were visiting Austria during the Oktoberfest; there was a music festival every night in the city we were staying at (Graz).
QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Apr 20 2017, 03:59 PM)
Don't worry, it's not so bad.
IIRC last year only one day reached 30 ~32 Celsius during September, it was the hottest day but nothing compared to what we have been through.
but that's South of France so the rest I am not so sure.
The temperatures around the mediterranean coast are the warmest in Europe. It's still quite comfortable during winter! I've noticed that France tends to be warmer than Germany/Prague in most cases. The weird thing was Vienna (during my trips) had been colder than Prague; but I was told it's due to the landscape causing the temperature differences; so that plays a part too. Apparently...
QUOTE(Docile @ Apr 20 2017, 01:43 PM)
Thanks for breaking it down for me, i was actually planning MYR15k including flights hahaha.
Just checked expedia KL to Prague and Zurich to KL would cost MYR3.5k (cheapest)
I guess i might just drop Berlin, would prefer Zurich over Berlin though, and probably shrink it to 3 weeks which is 21 days.

Prague - 3 nights
Krakow - 3 nights
Budapest - 3 nights
Bratislava - 2 nights
Vienna - 3 nights
Zurich - 3-4 nights

The remaining nights i would probably fit into some cheap cities, for me to relax and sleep, do laundry and etc.

It seems like the Eurail Pass, best suits my trip would be the Global Pass, which covering 5 countries or more (€305)  sad.gif
But for transport wise definitely need to spend more time to do research.
What do you think overall? Do you think this is wise?
I'm sorry for asking so much coz u r kinda my only sifu here.
Having used the EUrail pass previously; my personal opinion is that from Prague onwards east, train ticket prices are very similar to what you pay for in Asia; so I wouldn't get the EUrail pass if you're headed that way (After Prague). Use the EUrail pass in countries which are $$$, Central Europe generally. Otherwise, some budget airlines could be really cheap; but train could save you an overnight hotel (and time!) Also; remember that EUrail passes don't cover the cost of reserving a bunk/bed.

Looking at your country list, it's not bad, but I have personally been told Bratislava's quite boring and not more than 2 days/1 night. But why Zurich? That's the most boring (and $$$) place (in my opinion) out of the whole of Switzerland...
My sister did a 5-weeks EU trip last year, and she did the below:

Netherlands (Amsterdam, a couple more small towns)
Belgium (Brussels, Bruges, Antwerp, a couple more small towns)
Luxembourg
Germany (Frankfurt, Munich a couple more small towns)

That took her about 16 days or so; I guess they didn't rush it though. Then she met me (I drove from Prague) on the outskirts of Munich and we went to the below, took about 15 days:

Germany (Fussen to see the famous "disney" castle)
Switzerland (Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken and surrounding towns/hills/villages, Zermatt, St. Moritz)
Austria (Salzburg, Hallstatt, Vienna, Dachau)
Czech Republic (Cesky Raj, Bohemian Switzerland, Bastei (in Germany), Prague, Cesky Krumlov and some other towns)

Then they left and covered Berlin and couple more towns before flying out of Amsterdam.

QUOTE(lyc1982 @ Apr 20 2017, 03:13 PM)
2 girls...generally europe is a safe place...but make sure you bring your passports along whenever you are outside, keep your valuables in your front pocket, avoid crowded places, don't venture into dark alleys alone etc
if you see ppl approaching you for no apparent reasons and wanna let you wear something like flower bracelet or anything, stay away as they will demand you to pay even though they say it's free in the first place.

hostel 1 & 2 happen in slovakia or slovenia if iinm ?  laugh.gif
for a first timer i would probably advise to go mainstream cities such as london  / amsterdam / berlin...not bratislava or krakow

unfortunately i don't have a travel blog although i did plan to write, in the end i only record the experiences in my memories and some personal notes...

first few trips went alone, the adventures were awesome...can do whatever i like without worrying the other travel mates

sep is the start of autumn...temperature wise should be ok as i hate travelling in summer time
The general rule in Europe is #1: There's no such thing as FREE THINGS!!! So; if people approach you to give/do things for you; remember #1!!

QUOTE(Duckies @ Apr 20 2017, 03:55 PM)
I think I'll like Berlin.

Hmm what is the best time to go? I don't like summer.

London > Paris > Amsterdam > Berlin
I personally like Autumn; less people and the weather is not as weird/fluctuating as Spring. Spring weather can sometimes feel like Winter; depending on where you are. Just last weekend; Prague weather was really weird, raining and cold wind in 1 part of the city while sun shining in the other part. Really bad winds though. And this week is now snowing! Although today's sunny now though...

This post has been edited by glozz: Apr 20 2017, 09:43 PM
+Quote Post
christ14
post Apr 20 2017, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast

QUOTE(glozz @ Apr 20 2017, 09:01 PM)
Mid/End-September is around the very early beginnings of Autumn, it depends on the part of Europe; but Germany/Prague will be in the 15-20 C range, which is nice and cool (it's the Genting/aircond temperature range). Summer is generally from Mid/end-May until August; with slight fluctuations now that the weather here has gone completely bonkers! It's snowing here this week and it's supposed to be Spring!

I like Sept-late Oct/Early Nov. It generally goes in the 10-20 C range, which is perfect for my wife to wear shorts and slippers still.  biggrin.gif
Depends where you go. Also; the further east you head, be careful! The temperature peaks during the day and can go to 20-25 and the drops at night can be quite sudden; and drop as low as 15 or so. I fell sick once in Poland in June because it was 30 C and freaking hot during the daytime but suddenly dropped to 15 C with bad winds at night. I was still out (after dinner) with shorts and short sleeved shirt without layers because I thought I would be over-dressed!

Also; Oktoberfest tends to be over-rated; most locals tend not to go to Munich during that time period but celebrate it in their local pubs/beer gardens. Apparently; each City has a special way of spending Oktoberfest. When we were visiting Austria during the Oktoberfest; there was a music festival every night in the city we were staying at (Graz).

The temperatures around the mediterranean coast are the warmest in Europe. It's still quite comfortable during winter! I've noticed that France tends to be warmer than Germany/Prague in most cases. The weird thing was Vienna (during my trips) had been colder than Prague; but I was told it's due to the landscape causing the temperature differences; so that plays a part too. Apparently...

Having used the EUrail pass previously; my personal opinion is that from Prague onwards east, train ticket prices are very similar to what you pay for in Asia; so I wouldn't get the EUrail pass if you're headed that way (After Prague). Use the EUrail pass in countries which are $$$, Central Europe generally. Otherwise, some budget airlines could be really cheap; but train could save you an overnight hotel (and time!) Also; remember that EUrail passes don't cover the cost of reserving a bunk/bed.

Looking at your country list, it's not bad, but I have personally been told Bratislava's quite boring and not more than 2 days/1 night. But why Zurich? That's the most boring (and $$$) place (in my opinion) out of the whole of Switzerland...

Luxembourg

That took her about 16 days or so; I guess they didn't rush it though. Then she met me (I drove from Prague) on the outskirts of Munich and we went to the below, took about 15 days:

Switzerland (Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken and surrounding towns/hills/villages, Zermatt, St. Moritz)
Czech Republic (Cesky Raj, Bohemian Switzerland, Bastei (in Germany), Prague, Cesky Krumlov and some other towns)

Then they left and covered Berlin and couple more towns before flying out of Amsterdam.
The general rule in Europe is #1: There's no such thing as FREE THINGS!!! So; if people approach you to give/do things for you; remember #1!!
I personally like Autumn; less people and the weather is not as weird/fluctuating as Spring. Spring weather can sometimes feel like Winter; depending on where you are. Just last weekend; Prague weather was really weird, raining and cold wind in 1 part of the city while sun shining in the other part. Really bad winds though. And this week is now snowing! Although today's sunny now though...
how much was spent on the 16 days from netherlands to germany?
+Quote Post
lyc1982
post Apr 20 2017, 11:26 PM
On my way

QUOTE(glozz @ Apr 20 2017, 09:01 PM)

I like Sept-late Oct/Early Nov. It generally goes in the 10-20 C range, which is perfect for my wife to wear shorts and slippers still.  biggrin.gif

Luxembourg

i like zurich, but not as much as interlaken
Luxembourg boring for me..
+Quote Post
Duckies
post Apr 21 2017, 08:04 AM
Rubber Ducky

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Apr 20 2017, 04:03 PM)
Personally? SPRING!

It's cooling, has some sun but it's really cooling. Photos will turn out amazing, and it's convenient to travel around (without all your winter stuffs) and not forgetting the scenery is much better, with flowers everywhere and longer daylight! Sun sets about 9~10PM. It's already Spring btw. During Winter, people are colder (I feel that the moods and atmosphere among the people change according to seasons as well), shops close earlier, night comes faster, harder to travel with all the clothes. But it's up to you, different seasons will give your an entirely new perspective and views.  cool2.gif
Oh I like either Spring or Autumn. I don't like Summer as it's hot. Winter also is bad since it's too cold and hard to move around.

When does Spring starts? I do like it if it's on October since I plan to go for the October fest laugh.gif

EDIT: All these attacks in Paris makes me feel afraid to go anymore cry.gif

BREAKING NEWS: 'Terrorists' kill two police officers and wound another in AK-47 ambush on the Champs Elysees with one attacker killed as more shots are fired at new location - and French Presidential candidates debate nearby
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4271666

This post has been edited by Duckies: Apr 21 2017, 08:06 AM
+Quote Post
adele123
post Apr 21 2017, 08:16 AM
Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Tzalikiar @ Apr 12 2017, 12:49 AM)
I am going to visit Paris soon. What can you recommend me to see and do there? I have found a great guide at https://www.glamourapartments.com/blog/trav...to-do-in-paris/ but maybe there is something more that is not included in it. I would appreciate any input from you, guys wink.gif
I hope this is not too late. Depends if you are the museum type.

The blog is OK. I think what i suggest will be much better. I did spend 8 days in Paris. biggrin.gif

1) Louvre
2) Arc de Triomph
3) Eiffel Tower (i didn't go up, should just enjoy it from the park. biggrin.gif )
4) Versailles
5) Notre Dame
6) Sacre Coeur
7) Sainte Chapelle
8) Musee d'Orsay
9) Army Museum
10) Chateau de fontainebleau

Many things la.
+Quote Post
glozz
post Apr 21 2017, 03:37 PM
"Robocop"

QUOTE(christ14 @ Apr 20 2017, 10:00 PM)
how much was spent on the 16 days from netherlands to germany?
Well; they were on their own transport-wise, so i believe they spent 150ish EU per night for 2 persons. But they mostly stayed in hostels; I believe.
QUOTE(lyc1982 @ Apr 20 2017, 11:26 PM)
i like zurich, but not as much as interlaken
Luxembourg boring for me..
Interlaken's nice; and very convenient for the surrounding areas! Each time I go Switzerland (3 out of 3 times now), we always stop at Interlaken. Luxembourg's different; for sure, it's kinda like Malacca, but on hills..
Not sure what's so great about Zurich though; personally-speaking.
QUOTE(Duckies @ Apr 21 2017, 08:04 AM)
Oh I like either Spring or Autumn. I don't like Summer as it's hot. Winter also is bad since it's too cold and hard to move around.

When does Spring starts? I do like it if it's on October since I plan to go for the October fest laugh.gif

EDIT: All these attacks in Paris makes me feel afraid to go anymore cry.gif
I think most Asians won't like summer; it's only the caucasions whom like it; although my wife loves the amount of sun that comes as we get closer to Summer though. Spring is now actually; started late March normally, but with the weather being crazy now; it feels more like late-winter though.

By all means, go for Oktoberfest at least once! But be careful of rowdy drunks; sometimes they get kinda out of control.

As for security situtation; in general, the world is not a very safe place right now. What's happening in Europe is just reflecting what's happening in the middle-east.

This post has been edited by glozz: Apr 21 2017, 03:43 PM
+Quote Post
christ14
post Apr 21 2017, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast

reading so much incidents there. most updated on paris. hope all travellers safe and be mindful on surroundings
+Quote Post
Docile
post Apr 21 2017, 07:00 PM
Group: Junior Member

Hi guys, since im a rather budget traveler, i would like to ask what is the best way to get the cheapest flight ticket?

I have been through skyscanner and expedia, they often offered me tru and flo same airlines.
Since i will be landing in one city and fly off from another city, do you think this is the best choice? I'm not really picky on what airlines to choose though. I just want it cheap.
Or should i buy the ticket seperately? Like one way go and one way return, but that mostly turned out much more expensive than the expedia.

I seriously have no idea how this thing works.

This post has been edited by Docile: Apr 21 2017, 07:04 PM
+Quote Post
glozz
post Apr 21 2017, 08:27 PM
"Robocop"

QUOTE(Docile @ Apr 21 2017, 07:00 PM)
Hi guys, since im a rather budget traveler, i would like to ask what is the best way to get the cheapest flight ticket?

I have been through skyscanner and expedia, they often offered me tru and flo same airlines.
Since i will be landing in one city and fly off from another city, do you think this is the best choice? I'm not really picky on what airlines to choose though. I just want it cheap.
Or should i buy the ticket seperately? Like one way go and one way return, but that mostly turned out much more expensive than the expedia.

For flying in/out of different cities; you can try using google flights as well. Sometimes, single flights can be cheaper, but not all the time. Google flights has a map so you can also decide on the cities based on that and the prices.

Flying in and out of different cities is not normally cheaper, especially if you're using the same airline. It's more for convenience/logistic benefits.
+Quote Post
adele123
post Apr 22 2017, 07:11 AM
Look at all my stars!!

You can then benchmark the price against the middle east airlines for landing in one city and flying off from another. I did that for paris/london and it was decently priced, as in I don't think any surcharge compared to single destination.

Qatar, turkish, emirates, etihad was the few i compared.
+Quote Post
junecheah
post Apr 22 2017, 10:13 AM
Group: Junior Member

For multi-city flights, u can check on those arab airlines, Emirates, Qatar, Etihad. I have compared them with MAS/Spore airline and their price is extremely cheap. I bought my tickets during Emirates sale, early in Jan. Im flying to Rome and out from Prague, my ticket is only RM 2.9k. Where as MAS is like 4-5k while Spore airline, worse 15k.

I use google flight, expedia & tripadvisor to check on the flight schedule & airline price. After that I will buy directly from the airline website, which is for me Emirates.
+Quote Post
tishaban
post Apr 22 2017, 06:13 PM
Look at all my stars!!

Lots of suggestions already. Another option is to fly in and out of the same city, but look at either low cost airlines, or my preferred option, the train to get back there. If you're flying into London and out of Paris, the Eurostar will link the two together and it can be pretty cheap for a one way ticket if you plan ahead.

Again you'll have to play around with the options and decide how much pain in terms of money, time or convenience you want to spend/waste.

Personally I'd spend the money and save time but that's just me.

+Quote Post
bearbear
post Apr 28 2017, 06:00 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone!~!~

anyone travelling to Europe after 23rd October 2017 and come back before 11th November pm ME. I am buying the 3 sim card for UK + europe that has 12GB. Can sell to you to share cost.
+Quote Post
Kendywen
post Today, 02:53 AM
Group: New Member

Hi! Now Msia to Europe valid to stay for 3 months? May I know how much is the Visa cost?
+Quote Post

41 Pages « < 39 40 41Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0802sec    6.68    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 30th April 2017 - 09:10 AM