Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

198 Pages « < 37 38 39 40 41 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

TRAVEL TO EUROPE V2, all about Europe here. ;)

views

glozz
post Apr 18 2017, 08:02 PM

"Robocop"
1,681 posts

QUOTE(junecheah @ Apr 18 2017, 11:30 AM)
Hello. Wanna ask for advise. Will be travelling to Italy, Austria & Prague soon. Any advise on getting sim card? Need data, which telco provide data for this 3 country or I need to be buy separately at each country?
You can easily find EU-wide roaming SIMs at the arrival airport. I normally don't use roaming though; because CZ SIMs have very crappy EU-wide roaming packages. I just live with wifi in the hotels.
avantasia
post Apr 19 2017, 10:20 AM

a while in dreamland!!!
2,827 posts

QUOTE(gloomtojoy_01 @ Apr 15 2017, 10:05 AM)
Hi all,

I am going to italy next month. I would like to know where do you guys normally change euro ?

I am having some USD. If i change it in Malaysia, usually money changer will convert my USD to MYR, then only from MYR to EURO, there will be slippage.

But, if i were to do it in Italy (first stop Venice). I googled and found out that i can only do it in the bank, and not all bank will exchange for me if i don't have an account with them, and commission might be high.

Is there anyone that can provide some advice ?
Change at mid valley, ampang park or ampang point. Usually they give a good rates.

Myself always bring less euro roughly 500 to 1000 euro depends on how many days of travel. Use card is much more better since widely accepted there.
yvonnesoo
post Apr 19 2017, 11:14 AM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(junecheah @ Apr 18 2017, 11:30 AM)
Hello. Wanna ask for advise. Will be travelling to Italy, Austria & Prague soon. Any advise on getting sim card? Need data, which telco provide data for this 3 country or I need to be buy separately at each country?
just rent a pocket wifi in malaysia. it can select few countries. so far the connection is quite good during my previous trip to 3 different destination in europe
gloomtojoy_01
post Apr 19 2017, 12:04 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(avantasia @ Apr 19 2017, 10:20 AM)
Change at mid valley, ampang park or ampang point. Usually they give a good rates.

Myself always bring less euro roughly 500 to 1000 euro depends on how many days of travel. Use card is much more better since widely accepted there.
Thanks for your info, will take note of that. =)

This post has been edited by gloomtojoy_01: Apr 19 2017, 12:04 PM
gloomtojoy_01
post Apr 19 2017, 12:06 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(yvonnesoo @ Apr 19 2017, 11:14 AM)
just rent a pocket wifi in malaysia. it can select few countries. so far the connection is quite good during my previous trip to 3 different destination in europe
May i know what are the companies that you have got the wifi from ? And how much is that ?
yvonnesoo
post Apr 19 2017, 04:38 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(gloomtojoy_01 @ Apr 19 2017, 12:06 PM)
May i know what are the companies that you have got the wifi from ? And how much is that ?
travel recommends rm26/day if i'm not mistaken
Duckies
post Apr 20 2017, 12:07 PM

Rubber Ducky
9,544 posts

Going for a budget trip to Euro for 2 weeks. How much do you think I'll need?

Initial plan is to go London > Amsterdam > Bruxelles > Paris > Frankfurt

Along the way can modify the plan to go to Venice and Spain and cancel Amsterdam and Bruxelles. Possible to drive to all these places? I am going with my friends so we could switch drivers.

Wanted to see northen lights at Norway but macam seems out of budget.

This post has been edited by Duckies: Apr 20 2017, 12:13 PM
Docile
post Apr 20 2017, 12:51 PM

Naked Sleeper
404 posts

Hi everyone. I am planning a 3 weeks Central Europe trip which will be covering these cities:

Berlin, Krakow, Vienna, Prague, Budapest and Bratislava.

I'm not sure how do i arrange the best route without any redundancy.
Has anyone been through the trip like mine?
Could you please suggest the best route?

Please note that i will land in one city and fly back from another different city.
I most likely would be taking train or bus in between the cities.

Thanks in advance smile.gif
lyc1982
post Apr 20 2017, 01:02 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

just based on the map....if wanna minimize repeated route:

berlin - prague - krakow - budapest - bratislava - vienna

OR you do it the other way around

my previous trip route was:

prague - vienna - salzburg - zurich - paris

This post has been edited by lyc1982: Apr 20 2017, 01:03 PM
Docile
post Apr 20 2017, 01:09 PM

Naked Sleeper
404 posts

QUOTE(lyc1982 @ Apr 20 2017, 01:02 PM)
just based on the map....if wanna minimize repeated route:

berlin - prague - krakow - budapest - bratislava - vienna

OR you do it the other way around
my previous trip route was:

prague - vienna - salzburg - zurich - paris
Hi lyc, i was thinking to include Zurich too, do u think Vienna to Zurich is good?
Which means i land in Berlin, and then fly back from Zurich.
lyc1982
post Apr 20 2017, 01:11 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(Docile @ Apr 20 2017, 01:09 PM)
Hi lyc, i was thinking to include Zurich too, do u think Vienna to Zurich is good?
Which means i land in Berlin, and then fly back from Zurich.
yea why not...i took the overnight train from innsbruck (austria) to zurich

swiss has breathtaking views
Docile
post Apr 20 2017, 01:12 PM

Naked Sleeper
404 posts

QUOTE(lyc1982 @ Apr 20 2017, 01:11 PM)
yea why not...i took the overnight train from innsbruck (austria) to zurich

swiss has breathtaking views
Thanks. But is the city expensive?
I'm a backpacker and will mostly stay in cheap airbnb.
Do you think MYR15k is enough to do this?
And how much does the overnight train cost?
lyc1982
post Apr 20 2017, 01:17 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(Docile @ Apr 20 2017, 01:12 PM)
Thanks. But is the city expensive?
I'm a backpacker and will mostly stay in cheap airbnb.
Do you think MYR15k is enough to do this?
And how much does the overnight train cost?
generally stuff in swiss are more exp compared to other european countries...

you are planning for 6-7 different cities in 6-7 different countries right ? how many days ?

the overnight train cost might have changed over the years as i took it like 4 years ago...you can check on https://www.raileurope.com/train-tickets/?country_origin=AP.
for the amount of countries that you gonna visit by train...i suggest you to consider Eurail Pass to save costs

Docile
post Apr 20 2017, 01:19 PM

Naked Sleeper
404 posts

QUOTE(lyc1982 @ Apr 20 2017, 01:17 PM)
generally stuff in swiss are more exp compared to other european countries...

you are planning for 6-7 different cities in 6-7 different countries right ? how many days ?

the overnight train cost might have changed over the years as i took it like 4 years ago...you can check on https://www.raileurope.com/train-tickets/?country_origin=AP.
for the amount of countries that you gonna visit by train...i suggest you to consider Eurail Pass to save costs
I am looking at 3-4 weeks maximum.
Don't you think bus is cheaper?
I know that there are times when we can take the overnight train to save cost on the accomodation.
I still don't know how eurail pass works but im definitely looking into it.
tishaban
post Apr 20 2017, 01:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,615 posts

QUOTE(Duckies @ Apr 20 2017, 12:07 PM)

Along the way can modify the plan to go to Venice and Spain and cancel Amsterdam and Bruxelles. Possible to drive to all these places? I am going with my friends so we could switch drivers.
If you keep to the original route I personally would drop Frankfurt. More than enough to see in London, Amsterdam, Brussels and Paris that I would find 2 weeks to be too short. Spain IMO will take 2 weeks alone.

If you're driving don't forget to calculate parking charges which can be 25 euros or more per day in the cities. Alternatively take the train (Thalys, Eurostar). I found London to Brussels for as low as 26 pounds one way.

TSmiyakochan89
post Apr 20 2017, 01:33 PM

Wut?
6,615 posts

QUOTE(tishaban @ Apr 20 2017, 01:23 PM)
If you keep to the original route I personally would drop Frankfurt. More than enough to see in London, Amsterdam, Brussels and Paris that I would find 2 weeks to be too short. Spain IMO will take 2 weeks alone.

If you're driving don't forget to calculate parking charges which can be 25 euros or more per day in the cities. Alternatively take the train (Thalys, Eurostar). I found London to Brussels for as low as 26 pounds one way.
I agree with him. Spain and Venice are too far away, you would take one whole day just to reach from driving (without stops) Assuming you are driving through France (actually through any part of the Europe), it's just too far away to drive all the way to Spain or Venice.

I would do this though, London -> Paris - > Brussels -> Amsterdam but yours London -> Amsterdam - > Brussels -> Paris work just fine. smile.gif

lyc1982
post Apr 20 2017, 01:34 PM

ExpectNoMercy
2,327 posts

QUOTE(Docile @ Apr 20 2017, 01:19 PM)
I am looking at 3-4 weeks maximum.
Don't you think bus is cheaper?
I know that there are times when we can take the overnight train to save cost on the accomodation.
I still don't know how eurail pass works but im definitely looking into it.
let's assume 4 weeks (28 days), means rm15k divided by 28 days = rm535 (~110 euro) per day
accommodation - not sure how much will it cost for backpacking in a hostel, based on my experience sharing a room with 9 other backpackers costed me around 20-30 euro/night ?
food - assuming 10 euro per meal, 3 meals per day = 30 euro
left with 50 euro for transports / entrance tickets / shopping etc
i guess if you are thrifty enough should be able to survive...

bus definitely cheaper than trains...but you have to consider these few things:
- the comfort of long hours sitting in the bus
- the travelling duration is certainly longer than train, which means wasting time on the road
- the uncertainties of bus breaking down
Docile
post Apr 20 2017, 01:43 PM

Naked Sleeper
404 posts

QUOTE(lyc1982 @ Apr 20 2017, 01:34 PM)
let's assume 4 weeks (28 days), means rm15k divided by 28 days = rm535 (~110 euro) per day
accommodation - not sure how much will it cost for backpacking in a hostel, based on my experience sharing a room with 9 other backpackers costed me around 20-30 euro/night ?
food - assuming 10 euro per meal, 3 meals per day = 30 euro
left with 50 euro for transports / entrance tickets / shopping etc
i guess if you are thrifty enough should be able to survive...
bus definitely cheaper than trains...but you have to consider these few things:
- the comfort of long hours sitting in the bus
- the travelling duration is certainly longer than train, which means wasting time on the road
- the uncertainties of bus breaking down
Thanks for breaking it down for me, i was actually planning MYR15k including flights hahaha.
Just checked expedia KL to Prague and Zurich to KL would cost MYR3.5k (cheapest)
I guess i might just drop Berlin, would prefer Zurich over Berlin though, and probably shrink it to 3 weeks which is 21 days.

Prague - 3 nights
Krakow - 3 nights
Budapest - 3 nights
Bratislava - 2 nights
Vienna - 3 nights
Zurich - 3-4 nights

The remaining nights i would probably fit into some cheap cities, for me to relax and sleep, do laundry and etc.

It seems like the Eurail Pass, best suits my trip would be the Global Pass, which covering 5 countries or more (€305) sad.gif
But for transport wise definitely need to spend more time to do research.
What do you think overall? Do you think this is wise?
I'm sorry for asking so much coz u r kinda my only sifu here.
yvonnesoo
post Apr 20 2017, 01:44 PM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

norway is far out from all the places you plan eh.. if you like to see northern lights. then your trip should focus on Scandinavian countries or surrounding places that is nearby. also everything in norway is expensive. unless you cook yourself and plan wisely
Duckies
post Apr 20 2017, 01:54 PM

Rubber Ducky
9,544 posts

QUOTE(tishaban @ Apr 20 2017, 01:23 PM)

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Apr 20 2017, 01:33 PM)
I agree with him. Spain and Venice are too far away, you would take one whole day just to reach from driving (without stops) Assuming you are driving through France (actually through any part of the Europe), it's just too far away to drive all the way to Spain or Venice.

I would do this though, London -> Paris - > Brussels -> Amsterdam but yours London -> Amsterdam - > Brussels -> Paris work just fine. smile.gif
QUOTE(yvonnesoo @ Apr 20 2017, 01:44 PM)
norway is far out from all the places you plan eh.. if you like to see northern lights. then your trip should focus on Scandinavian countries or surrounding places that is nearby. also everything in norway is expensive. unless you cook yourself and plan wisely
Yea I guess Norway is out of the question. Just asking to see if there's a miracle way to fit it in.

So I think London -> Amsterdam - > Brussels -> Paris will work. I wanted to go to Germany, perhaps Berlin instead of Frankfurt? Maybe drop Brussels perhaps?

Venice and Rome...I guess not enough time to make it.

This post has been edited by Duckies: Apr 20 2017, 01:58 PM

198 Pages « < 37 38 39 40 41 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0147sec    0.24    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:39 PM