Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

198 Pages « < 165 166 167 168 169 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

TRAVEL TO EUROPE V2, all about Europe here. ;)

views

aspartame
post Dec 9 2019, 04:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,165 posts

QUOTE(cute_boboi @ Dec 7 2019, 10:11 PM)
Multi-layer winter clothing, outermost is wind-breaker/proof + water-resistant/proof. Inner layer can winter jacket/sweater/etc. Something you can peel off layer by layer when you enter into buildings or heated areas.

Boots - waterproof it with those spray. Or buy those water-resistant hiking/trail shoes.

Important is head protection from cold, that can roll down to cover both ears completely. If possible, wind-breaker jacket can cover up the head + neck when strong wind is blowing.

Scarf if you need it also.

Gloves is a must if you want to stay outdoor for longer periods. Water-proof type, not leather as water may enter.

Walking stick if you plan to hike/trek a lot

Long pants that are water-resistant/proof as well, if you plan to play in snow.

Thick comfortable socks, there are some which are heat-tech/wool/etc which is not suitable to wear in MY, but good for winter.

Long-john, inner tights, etc. subject to individual resistant to cold, whether need to wear it or not.

Sunglasses is highly recommended, but beware it may blown off by strong winds.

Bring a flask of hot tea/coffee, and enjoy sitting outdoor while most others are not fully prepared with their gear and run inside.
icon_rolleyes.gif
If a person does not intend to stay outdoor more than 10 minutes but intend to walk through the ice tunnel, is there a significant reduction in thickness of clothing or boots required?
cute_boboi
post Dec 9 2019, 04:57 PM

° 忍 °
6,416 posts

QUOTE(aspartame @ Dec 9 2019, 04:31 PM)
If a person does not intend to stay outdoor more than 10 minutes but intend to walk through the ice tunnel, is there a significant reduction in thickness of clothing or boots required?
If walk through ice-tunnel for 10 minutes, just your usual winter / cold wear (sweater/jacket) is enough. Any normal boots/shoes that does not slide/slip when walking on ice will do.
Gloves optional, just stick both hands into pocket/jacket.
Head cover optional, may not even need it, or just any normal cap will do.
icon_rolleyes.gif

cute_boboi
post Dec 9 2019, 09:25 PM

° 忍 °
6,416 posts

QUOTE(Edward12399 @ Dec 9 2019, 08:46 AM)
Thanks.

I'm thinking to take the 8 Days Swiss travel pass (Shockingly expensive for me)

1. Arrive Zurich (8.30am)
2. Zurich - Lucerne
3. Lucerne - Interlaken -
4. Interlaken
5. Interlaken - Montreux
6. Montreux  - Zermatt
7. Zermatt - St. Moritz (Glacier Express)
8. St. Moritz - Basel
9. Basel - Zurich
10. Depart Zurich (10am)

Quite Peck schedule, which place i should skip or spend more time? Due to time limitation i need to scarifies Geneva + Bern.

Swiss Pass provide 50% discount on the mountain excursion, which one in your opinion must do as im travel on budget.

Thanks.
QUOTE(Edward12399 @ Dec 9 2019, 11:43 AM)
Thanks.

Yeah, i thinking to spend entire trip in Switzerland.. other country in another trip.

You are right some westerner blogger said Lauterbrunnen is a must visit village.
Missed your post. I spent full 2 weeks in Switzerland only this year, and we didn't even cover all major attractions, such as Geneva, Basel, Interlaken (pass by but did not stop/overnight). We took the Bernina Express all the way to Tirano (Italy) and back, which we think has better view than Glacier Express during our research. Cannot take both express, too expensive and need to spend more time.

Transport cost alone (including cable cars) even with the 50% discount pass ... for us is RM2k+ per pax make sure you get the original pass before leave Malaysia (or if you plan to buy there), and not you print yourself from email/receipt. If you can't show your original discount pass when conductor check ticket in the train, you have to pay the full price + fine. Saw someone frantically searching for ticket and finally get fined right in front of us.

Your schedule to us, looks quite packed and touch'nGo. Kind of Amazing Race. Maybe you can explain a bit what you will do in each city.
e.g. we only spent final 1 night in Zurich.
Lucerne we spent two nights and did the big loop for Pilatus (cog, cable, boat, train) and Titlis. Also spent time walking around the city.
Zermatt - ok, Matterhorn, frankly this is not my top mountain favourites view, in fact is near the bottom of the 7 mountain areas we went.
Interlaken - I can't comment, drive pass by only, like a big lake view.
Montreux - Can't comment, but I was nearby at the western side of Vevey for two nights.

We spent nearly half of our time in Jungfrau region and covered Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Schilthorn, Wengen, Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald, First, etc.

Your St. Moritz - Basel - Zurich doesn't make sense like east-west-east. Suggest to cancel Basel, and spend that day somewhere along your route.

e.g. We bought some food at Lucerne, then somewhere halfway up to Titlis at Trubsee, we brought our food (and cili sauce rolleyes.gif ) stop by to do a simple semi-BBQ for lunch to save cost as well. And warm food in cold places drool.gif Wood is provided free. Do your research.
user posted image

middle valley is Lauterbrunnen. Top right is Wengen. Ride the hot air near the rock wall from the sun shine. Nasib baik tak mati macham King of Random bye.gif
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

icon_rolleyes.gif

Edward12399
post Dec 10 2019, 08:23 AM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(cute_boboi @ Dec 9 2019, 09:25 PM)
Missed your post. I spent full 2 weeks in Switzerland only this year, and we didn't even cover all major attractions, such as Geneva, Basel, Interlaken (pass by but did not stop/overnight). We took the Bernina Express all the way to Tirano (Italy) and back, which we think has better view than Glacier Express during our research. Cannot take both express, too expensive and need to spend more time.

Transport cost alone (including cable cars) even with the 50% discount pass ... for us is RM2k+ per pax make sure you get the original pass before leave Malaysia (or if you plan to buy there), and not you print yourself from email/receipt. If you can't show your original discount pass when conductor check ticket in the train, you have to pay the full price + fine. Saw someone frantically searching for ticket and finally get fined right in front of us.

Your schedule to us, looks quite packed and touch'nGo. Kind of Amazing Race. Maybe you can explain a bit what you will do in each city.
Lucerne we spent two nights and did the big loop for Pilatus (cog, cable, boat, train) and Titlis. Also spent time walking around the city.
Zermatt - ok, Matterhorn, frankly this is not my top mountain favourites view, in fact is near the bottom of the 7 mountain areas we went.
Montreux - Can't comment, but I was nearby at the western side of Vevey for two nights.

We spent nearly half of our time in Jungfrau region and covered Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Schilthorn, Wengen, Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald, First, etc.

Your St. Moritz - Basel - Zurich doesn't make sense like east-west-east. Suggest to cancel Basel, and spend that day somewhere along your route.

e.g. We bought some food at Lucerne, then somewhere halfway up to Titlis at Trubsee, we brought our food (and cili sauce  rolleyes.gif  ) stop by to do a simple semi-BBQ for lunch to save cost as well. And warm food in cold places  drool.gif  Wood is provided free. Do your research.
user posted image

middle valley is Lauterbrunnen. Top right is Wengen. Ride the hot air near the rock wall from the sun shine. Nasib baik tak mati macham King of Random  bye.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif
Thanks for your reply.

Few Point to discuss:

1. Pilatus and Titlis. if i can only do one, which one should i go with?

2. Jungfrau region and covered Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Schilthorn, Wengen, Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald - my plan im thinking to cover Lauterbrunnen, Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch. 2 days not enough? from your comment jungfrau region seem the best within your trip.

3. Basel route i will seriously consider to cancel.
cute_boboi
post Dec 10 2019, 11:54 AM

° 忍 °
6,416 posts

QUOTE(Edward12399 @ Dec 10 2019, 08:23 AM)
Thanks for your reply.

Few Point to discuss:

1.  Pilatus and Titlis. if i can only do one, which one should i go with?

2. Jungfrau region and covered Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Schilthorn, Wengen, Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald - my plan im thinking to cover  Lauterbrunnen, Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch. 2 days not enough? from your comment jungfrau region seem the best within your trip.

3.  Basel route i will seriously consider to cancel.
1. Hard to say, Titlis is more famous and higher (but not my point) than Pilatus. If just want relax and see more things from more angles, do that big loop I mention. We have clear sky that day, can see Pilatus top from the boat ride, and also the cog wheel funicular train (very small), and cable car (very small).
Titlis is the experience on top of snow mountain top, and the lake halfway up (if not frozen). Depends on other factors which other mountains you plan to go in your trip as well.

2. Two days is enough, 1 day each for Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch, and in between can slot in Lauterbrunnen, etc. We do our trips more relax, and we took multiple hikes/walks along the paths to enjoy the environment rather than come and go. Yes, I feel we enjoy the most in this region for Switzerland (so far), and the place we stay for 5 nights has very minimum tourist -> Murren (car free town). Which is halfway up the mountain with million dollar view. Cooler temperature with some wind. Big difference with staying down in Lauterbrunnen, which of course has more facilities/bigger supermarket/cars/buses/tourists/etc.

icon_rolleyes.gif

tangtang22
post Dec 10 2019, 01:29 PM

Getting Started
209 posts

QUOTE(cute_boboi @ Dec 9 2019, 09:25 PM)

e.g. We bought some food at Lucerne, then somewhere halfway up to Titlis at Trubsee, we brought our food (and cili sauce  rolleyes.gif  ) stop by to do a simple semi-BBQ for lunch to save cost as well. And warm food in cold places  drool.gif  Wood is provided free. Do your research.
user posted image

middle valley is Lauterbrunnen. Top right is Wengen. Ride the hot air near the rock wall from the sun shine. Nasib baik tak mati macham King of Random  bye.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif
Bernina express should be enjoyed in parts and split the journey into 2 days to fully appreciate! seems like u had great fun!
cute_boboi
post Dec 10 2019, 01:59 PM

° 忍 °
6,416 posts

QUOTE(tangtang22 @ Dec 10 2019, 01:29 PM)
Bernina express should be enjoyed in parts and split the journey into 2 days to fully appreciate! seems like u had great fun!
Unfortunately, we are travelling east and west of Zurich, and unable to spend more time in the east even though we spent two nights east of Zurich, before we proceed to Lucerne. Even if we spend 3 nights, still, we may not able to do Bernina in two days, as there are other activities around St. Gallen that we didn't manage to squeeze in as well.

Yes, recent years travel, we only target one country/area only and not to Amazing Race around many countries. Rather than the time spend for transport/airport/transit, is utilize to enjoy the local environment more. Unless the country is too small or less things to do.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Docile
post Dec 12 2019, 10:52 AM

Naked Sleeper
404 posts

QUOTE(Edward12399 @ Dec 10 2019, 08:23 AM)
Thanks for your reply.

Few Point to discuss:

1.  Pilatus and Titlis. if i can only do one, which one should i go with?

2. Jungfrau region and covered Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Schilthorn, Wengen, Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald - my plan im thinking to cover  Lauterbrunnen, Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch. 2 days not enough? from your comment jungfrau region seem the best within your trip.

3.  Basel route i will seriously consider to cancel.
If you are going to Jungfrau, please consider taking the Jungfrau Adventure Card
It too much fun
Worth every penny
I would go again
Edward12399
post Dec 12 2019, 03:57 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(Docile @ Dec 12 2019, 10:52 AM)
If you are going to Jungfrau, please consider taking the Jungfrau Adventure Card
It too much fun
Worth every penny
I would go again
so far i only intended to get 8 days swiss pass. i roughly calculate, it really make a lot saving.

with swiss pass i read give us 25% discount the ticket to jungfrau.
Docile
post Dec 12 2019, 06:59 PM

Naked Sleeper
404 posts

QUOTE(Edward12399 @ Dec 12 2019, 03:57 PM)
so far i only intended to get 8 days swiss pass. i roughly calculate, it really make a lot saving.

with swiss pass i read give us 25% discount the ticket to jungfrau.
I would calculate nicely all my routes and the fares and see if swiss pass or half fare pass is better

You dont wanna spend extra for something u dont use
Edward12399
post Dec 13 2019, 08:38 AM

Getting Started
230 posts

QUOTE(Docile @ Dec 12 2019, 06:59 PM)
I would calculate nicely all my routes and the fares and see if swiss pass or half fare pass is better

You dont wanna spend extra for something u dont use
Swiss pass really a killer saving pass. i checked half fare is cheap, but some of the route im taking dont really give half fare, a little discount only. Furthermore, booking trip by trip is too troublesome. with this pass, i can just hop in n hop off on my own pace.

Attraction that i planned to take Mount Titlis/Pilatus (50% off), Jungfraujoch (25% off), Mount Gornergrat (50% off), Glacier Express (FOC, only pay reservation CHF33), Mount Gornergrat (50% off), Schilthorn (if time allow, 50% off). the saving alr more than CHF350.00. This saving not including local train from one place to another.

sadly the pass don have like 10days one, 8 days just a bit not enough. 15days too much. stuck in between.

hihihehe
post Dec 14 2019, 08:22 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,451 posts

Planning to try Michelin star restaurant in Europe .Gordon Ramsay restaurant booked out.any other to recommend in London,Paris or Milan?
Hansel
post Dec 15 2019, 01:40 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

Received news on 30 Nov of a happy family-related event in Europe, and needed to proceed there.

Decided to do a bit of a driving escapade there too since has never before driven in Continental Europe under winter and snowing conditions.

Have done so previously in Central Japan under heavy snow conditions; in Jasper, Rocky Mountains, Canada (under snowing conditions too); and during winter in Melbourne and Tasmania.

Research started one week later as was still busy, but is almost complete now, with majority of bookings and rentals having been made. Quite tedious there, I must say,.. but that's supposed to be the 'fun' part, since we are not joining any tour groups,...

Is there a limitation towards uploading of photos here in this thread ?
justin6293
post Dec 15 2019, 09:09 PM

14 posts

im planning to go paris,zurich,rome and barcelona on june 1 2020 until june 20 2020
any advice for me on these few countries?

This post has been edited by justin6293: Dec 15 2019, 09:11 PM
stimix
post Dec 16 2019, 05:08 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

QUOTE(justin6293 @ Dec 15 2019, 09:09 PM)
im planning to go paris,zurich,rome and barcelona on june 1 2020 until june 20 2020
any advice for me on these few countries?
U like summer? 😅. Normally Msian prefer autumn, spring or even winter. Only Westerners choose summer and summer really peak season in Europe. For me, I'll avoid Summer.
Hansel
post Dec 17 2019, 09:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

QUOTE(Hansel @ Dec 15 2019, 01:40 AM)
Received news on 30 Nov of a happy family-related event in Europe, and needed to proceed there.

Decided to do a bit of a driving escapade there too since has never before driven in Continental Europe under winter and snowing conditions.

Have done so previously in Central Japan under heavy snow conditions; in Jasper, Rocky Mountains, Canada (under snowing conditions too); and during winter in Melbourne and Tasmania.

Research started one week later as was still busy, but is almost complete now, with majority of bookings and rentals having been made. Quite tedious there, I must say,.. but that's supposed to be the 'fun' part, since we are not joining any tour groups,...

Is there a limitation towards uploading of photos here in

this thread ?
user posted image
sweet_pez
post Dec 18 2019, 04:25 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(Hansel @ Dec 15 2019, 01:40 AM)

Is there a limitation towards uploading of photos here in this thread ?
Feel free to share your itinerary, experience and travel photos here as reference for the others. But if possible try to resize the photos ensuring it's not too large/ over the frame, so as not to inconvenient members' browsing experience. Happy sharing.
Hansel
post Dec 18 2019, 06:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

QUOTE(sweet_pez @ Dec 18 2019, 04:25 PM)
Feel free to share your itinerary, experience and travel photos here as reference for the others. But if possible try to resize the photos ensuring it's not too large/ over the frame, so as not to inconvenient members' browsing experience. Happy sharing.
Tq mod,... will do my best.

I will try to answer questions too if there are any from our travellers here,... thumbsup.gif
zstan
post Dec 19 2019, 03:17 PM

10k Club
All Stars
15,671 posts

Assuming i have more than a week and flying in and out of London and on a tight budget, should i just travel around UK or try to visit other european countries as well?
stimix
post Dec 19 2019, 07:44 PM

Dunno
Group Icon
3,542 posts

QUOTE(zstan @ Dec 19 2019, 03:17 PM)
Assuming i have more than a week and flying in and out of London and on a tight budget, should i just travel around UK or try to visit other european countries as well?
You probably want to fly in to London and depart from Paris? Cheaper airfare as the airport tax is very high vs Paris CDG. With thia, u can cover more countries

198 Pages « < 165 166 167 168 169 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0166sec    0.55    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:18 PM