cannot open pen drive/no autorun, need to right click n open

views

nlinley
post Nov 5 2008, 09:33 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
181 posts

There is a registry key in windows that controls autorun. Autorun can be disabled on all drives or enabled only for certain drives. Also the autorun.ini could have been modified by virus as mentioned previously. It is actually a really stupid idea to have autorun enabled on any drive for the system as viruses like to use this as a method of infecting or reinfecting you. If your computer is getting group policy applied, it might have been disabled for you. Look in the registry under this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\ for a key called NoDriveTypeAutoRun to see if it was disabled. Also the same key exists per user under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. I think there may be some other keys for working with specific drives. You can search google to find what the various values are. I think 255 means disable autorun for all drives.

You should be able to open the file list of any drive by clicking Start-> Run and then typing the drive letter you want to open. This will typically open the drive up in windows explorer.
nlinley
post Nov 5 2008, 10:33 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
181 posts

Ok from the screen shots, that NoDriveAutoRun key is also part of this. From microsoft's description of that:

The value of this entry consists of 32 bits. The lower 26 bits each represent a drive, with the lowest (right-most) bit representing drive A, and the 26th bit from the right representing drive Z. If a bit is set to 0, the Autoplay feature is enabled on that drive. If a bit is set to 1, the Autoplay feature is disabled on that drive.

With your value's being as they are, autorun is completely disabled on all of your drives. If you want to enable it, set all the values to 0's for both keys. But again...I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT ENABLING AUTOPLAY DUE TO SECURITY REASONS!!. Learn the other easy ways to open your drives quickly.

Added on November 5, 2008, 10:38 amOh yeah, one more thing. If you have a computer that has group policy being applied from a company network, or even a local group policy on your machine that is disabling autoplay, changing the registry is not going to help you as the group policy settings will override whatever you have set in the registry. You can check your local group policy by doing the following:

Click start-> Run
type: gpedit.msc

Go to User section, Administrative templates, Windows Components, System...and look at "Turn off autoplay" to see if anything is set there.

Go to Computer section, Administrative templates, Windows Components, System...and look at "Turn off autoplay" to see if anything is set there.

If you see turn of autoplay enabled, and you have admin access to your machine you can disable them. Then do:

Start->Run
type: gpupdate /force (for windows XP)

This post has been edited by nlinley: Nov 5 2008, 10:38 AM
nlinley
post Nov 5 2008, 11:20 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
181 posts

On the registry editing, you can just select modify from the menu then replace each number with a zero. For the binary value FF FF, if you just click at the beginning of it and start typing 0's i think it overwrites what is there. For the other Dword key, just change the value to 0.

For the group policy, I might have typed the full path wrong. If you look at the left side of your screen shot, System folder all the way at the bottom, it should be there. I checked the path in XP, but it should be the same for Vista I think.
nlinley
post Nov 5 2008, 11:42 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
181 posts

Yes type 0 zeros at the beginning of the binary value. For the dword one, just modify, clear what is there now and type 0.

For it to take effect though you might need to log off your machine and log back in after the changes are done.
nlinley
post Nov 5 2008, 11:58 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
181 posts

Actually I don't have that key on my machine. Everything is just configured by the dword key. The binary key just gives you more control. Since you want to enable autoplay, you could just delete that key completely. It is only required when you want to restrict autoplay.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0198sec    0.72    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:33 PM