Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

cannot open pen drive/no autorun, need to right click n open

views

TScruel_boy
post Jan 25 2007, 07:52 PM, updated 18y ago

BeyONd cRUelIty LieS sIVa
913 posts

da pen drive doesnt autorun. If click in my computer also its not opening. What comes out is the Open With window where i need to chose program.... soi Had to right click open in my computer. A fren of mine last time fixed this problem.... he went to command prompt, and fixed from there.... dunno how but somehow he did. Anyone know this method? i really need to know how to fix this coz many of us having da same problem.

i also cannot open any form of drive in my desktop. I kena da wincrack thingy yesterday. was able to remove it but now for all drive that i try to open it says something like dll32 missing. So need to right click n open... very leceh coz c drive also like dis.
kb2005
post Jan 25 2007, 08:18 PM

Yahoo!
All Stars
17,372 posts

Maybe your pen drive rosak liao! You might want to format it and try again biggrin.gif
TScruel_boy
post Jan 25 2007, 08:28 PM

BeyONd cRUelIty LieS sIVa
913 posts

QUOTE(kb2005 @ Jan 25 2007, 08:18 PM)
Maybe your pen drive rosak liao! You might want to format it and try again biggrin.gif
da pendrive is not my concern, but i need to know the way to fix it... so pls guide me. It seems like windows problem... coz it happens for all pen drive that i cucuk

This post has been edited by cruel_boy: Jan 25 2007, 08:31 PM
benzene88
post Jan 25 2007, 08:32 PM

Anonymity
2,384 posts

when u wanna safely remove hardware also cant rite? it says the pendrive is running or watever.. correct?
alextan99
post Jan 25 2007, 08:38 PM

Wassup
2,645 posts

Maybe its due to the drive letter conflict. Usually that is the problem
SUSsynz
post Jan 25 2007, 08:49 PM

vas te faire enculé
2,642 posts

No 'Tumpang' thread is allowed, create a fresh topic instead

Thread cleaned

This post has been edited by fru!tlo0p: Jan 25 2007, 08:51 PM
imperialrealcs
post Jan 25 2007, 09:16 PM

IMPERIAL DEATH STAR!
6,724 posts

my MiniSD last time also can.. seems like i kena a virus called ship-up.. after format, no problem edi
kb2005
post Jan 25 2007, 10:01 PM

Yahoo!
All Stars
17,372 posts

QUOTE(imperialrealcs @ Jan 25 2007, 09:16 PM)
my MiniSD last time also can.. seems like i kena a virus called ship-up.. after format, no problem edi
You mean you have the same problem as the thread starter ?
Hattori
post Jan 25 2007, 10:26 PM

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
1,177 posts

Nonsense man, you don't know what the thread starter is talking about.

This is very common problem when the pendrive is infected with a virus that adds the "autorun.inf" into the thumbdrive.

The "autorun.inf" is set to run the virus as soon as the thumbdrive is plugged into the computer.

However, if the virus is intercepted and deleted by the computer's antivirus AutoGuard, then the thumbdrive cannot be opened and the user will get "Open With" dialog box.

To fix this, you must use the command prompt like situation the thread starter described.

You should run a full antivirus scan on your thumbdrive first before doing the steps below.

1) Run the Command Prompt.
2) Browse to the thumbdrive drive letter buy typing the drive letter and colon at the command line. (Example = e: )
3) Type "attrib -h -r -s autorun.inf" at the command line.
4) Type "del autorun.inf" at the command line.
5) Eject your thumbdrive, and reinsert it again.
6) This time you should be able to browse to the thumbdrive using Windows Explorer.

Enable view all hidden files and system files, and delete those suspicous hidden files and folders on your thumbdrive like "Config.Msi" folder because they are generated by the virus.
"Config.Msi" folder should not exist on thumbdrives because only the *.msi installer will generate their installer in C:\> drive which is perfectly normal.

This post has been edited by Hattori: Jan 25 2007, 10:28 PM
sotong4896
post Jan 26 2007, 01:41 AM

babywears.my
974 posts

i had the same problem
fixed with the help of this solution
thank you so much
tycheah_7
post Jan 26 2007, 04:15 AM

Enthusiast
795 posts

i've haad this problem but fixed it by formatting. I had "view hidden files" checked on but still unable to see any suspicious file inside before i format the thumbdrive.
Hattori
post Jan 26 2007, 11:07 AM

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
1,177 posts

It's not only the "Show hidden files and folders" must be selected, but the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" option must be unchecked as well.
spayre
post Jan 26 2007, 12:18 PM

hush puppy
1,251 posts

sounds like my friend's rig.. later we found out that he got infected by bro_act virus...
Mooneyes
post Jan 26 2007, 02:33 PM

Time heals
2,730 posts

does this method work for hard disk or not....1 of my frens partition got this kind of problem...pops out choose programs to open...must use right click to view the partition
Hattori
post Jan 26 2007, 09:12 PM

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
1,177 posts

Yes it does.

By right, only CD-ROM is suppose to use the "autorun.inf" feature to launch the CD-ROM applications.

There is no purpose of having an "autorun.inf" in harddisk drive/partitions other than launching malwares automatically.

Restart the PC after deleting the "autorun.inf" from the harddisk, and you should be able to browse the drive/partition like normal.

This post has been edited by Hattori: Jan 26 2007, 09:16 PM
PeterMaw
post Dec 11 2007, 12:28 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(Hattori @ Jan 25 2007, 10:26 PM)
Nonsense man, you don't know what the thread starter is talking about.
This is very common problem when the pendrive is infected with a virus that adds the "autorun.inf" into the thumbdrive.

The "autorun.inf" is set to run the virus as soon as the thumbdrive is plugged into the computer.

However, if the virus is intercepted and deleted by the computer's antivirus AutoGuard, then the thumbdrive cannot be opened and the user will get "Open With" dialog box.

To fix this, you must use the command prompt like situation the thread starter described.

You should run a full antivirus scan on your thumbdrive first before doing the steps below.

2) Browse to the thumbdrive drive letter buy typing the drive letter and colon at the command line. (Example =  e:  )
6) This time you should be able to browse to the thumbdrive using Windows Explorer.

Enable view all hidden files and system files, and delete those suspicous hidden files and folders on your thumbdrive like "Config.Msi" folder because they are generated by the virus.
"Config.Msi" folder should not exist on thumbdrives because only the *.msi installer will generate their installer in C:\> drive which is perfectly normal.
Thanks a lot man!!! It works for my pendrive!! notworthy.gif
fsloke
post Dec 11 2007, 10:17 AM

Getting Started
129 posts

QUOTE(Hattori @ Jan 25 2007, 10:26 PM)

2) Browse to the thumbdrive drive letter buy typing the drive letter and colon at the command line. (Example =  e:  )

This solution is GREAT!!!
But why the fellow said:

QUOTE(cruel_boy @ Jan 25 2007, 07:52 PM)
da pen drive doesnt autorun.
The solution is to solve autorun. Is it help to solve non-autorun problem? sweat.gif

Haha... Dear friend format pendrive jer la.....

post Dec 12 2007, 02:08 AM

Regular
1,601 posts

very obviously is that pendrive got a hidden file "autorun.inf" = ="
PeowYong
post Dec 12 2007, 02:15 AM

PeowYong
2,263 posts

it can be cleaned up by antivirus software also...
i m using kaspersky, if an infected thumbdrive is connected, it will show that the thumbdrive is infected with some virus or trojan, after cleaning it and scan a few times confirmed its clean then its safe to use

vandechrome
post Dec 12 2007, 08:01 PM

^^^^^^^
4,016 posts

u can use error checking in tools option,then restart ur pc..try it,mine solved with this method
Gamerz_Paradise
post Jan 10 2008, 09:38 AM

Getting Started
270 posts

then after performing the delete how to create back the autorun for the system.. i mean by plugging in the pendrive then the system will popup the autorun in which u can choose to run open with windows explore or wat so ever..
spartacvs
post Jan 11 2008, 05:27 AM

I thought my jokes were bad!
1,281 posts

I had this problem months ago and I had solved it by reformatting it, considering that there weren't much files and folders in my pendrive. Somehow by doing so, the autorun function seems to work once again and the "Open With" dialogue box never seems to appear anymore.

tplcaik
post Jan 11 2008, 09:39 AM

<DeaL WiTh ConFideNcE>
3,541 posts

Hattori solution is the 1st way. If you cant understand command prompt then here is the easy way.

1) Right Click->explore then copy out all folders & files
2) Right Click pendrive again-> format
3) The pendrive is work now. Then scan all the folders & files that u move out just now and paste back to ur pendrive.

Done!
kukichi
post Nov 3 2008, 11:43 AM

On my way
540 posts

It solves my issue... thank you so much lowyatians... rclxms.gif
sordanny
post Nov 5 2008, 09:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,008 posts

QUOTE(Gamerz_Paradise @ Jan 10 2008, 09:38 AM)
then after performing the delete how to create back the autorun for the system.. i mean by plugging in the pendrive then the system will popup the autorun in which u can choose to run open with windows explore or wat so ever..
I'm facing the same problem also. How to restore the autorun for the pendrive? I've run flash disinfector with the pendrive and the virus is gone now. But everytime I plug it in there's no autorun to wither open with a program or open folder to view it?

How to restore this function?
notworthy.gif
nlinley
post Nov 5 2008, 09:33 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
181 posts

There is a registry key in windows that controls autorun. Autorun can be disabled on all drives or enabled only for certain drives. Also the autorun.ini could have been modified by virus as mentioned previously. It is actually a really stupid idea to have autorun enabled on any drive for the system as viruses like to use this as a method of infecting or reinfecting you. If your computer is getting group policy applied, it might have been disabled for you. Look in the registry under this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\ for a key called NoDriveTypeAutoRun to see if it was disabled. Also the same key exists per user under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. I think there may be some other keys for working with specific drives. You can search google to find what the various values are. I think 255 means disable autorun for all drives.

You should be able to open the file list of any drive by clicking Start-> Run and then typing the drive letter you want to open. This will typically open the drive up in windows explorer.
sordanny
post Nov 5 2008, 10:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,008 posts

Found the key "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" under hkey current user (pic attached)
So if say I delete the 2 values that will mean autorun will be enabled again?
And also, now even my laptop external dvd won't autorun sad.gif

edit : forgot pic sweat.gif

This post has been edited by sordanny: Nov 5 2008, 10:05 AM
s00jin
post Nov 5 2008, 10:25 AM

1 posts

having the same problem also, can any sifu please advice?
sordanny
post Nov 5 2008, 10:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,008 posts

QUOTE(sordanny @ Nov 5 2008, 10:04 AM)
Found the key "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" under hkey current user (pic attached)
So if say I delete the 2 values that will mean autorun will be enabled again?
And also, now even my laptop external dvd won't autorun  sad.gif

edit : forgot pic  sweat.gif
Is it safe to delete both keys NoDriveTypeAutoRun?????
Will my laptop autorun be restored to same as the previous?????
nlinley
post Nov 5 2008, 10:33 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
181 posts

Ok from the screen shots, that NoDriveAutoRun key is also part of this. From microsoft's description of that:

The value of this entry consists of 32 bits. The lower 26 bits each represent a drive, with the lowest (right-most) bit representing drive A, and the 26th bit from the right representing drive Z. If a bit is set to 0, the Autoplay feature is enabled on that drive. If a bit is set to 1, the Autoplay feature is disabled on that drive.

With your value's being as they are, autorun is completely disabled on all of your drives. If you want to enable it, set all the values to 0's for both keys. But again...I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT ENABLING AUTOPLAY DUE TO SECURITY REASONS!!. Learn the other easy ways to open your drives quickly.

Added on November 5, 2008, 10:38 amOh yeah, one more thing. If you have a computer that has group policy being applied from a company network, or even a local group policy on your machine that is disabling autoplay, changing the registry is not going to help you as the group policy settings will override whatever you have set in the registry. You can check your local group policy by doing the following:

Click start-> Run
type: gpedit.msc

Go to User section, Administrative templates, Windows Components, System...and look at "Turn off autoplay" to see if anything is set there.

Go to Computer section, Administrative templates, Windows Components, System...and look at "Turn off autoplay" to see if anything is set there.

If you see turn of autoplay enabled, and you have admin access to your machine you can disable them. Then do:

Start->Run
type: gpupdate /force (for windows XP)

This post has been edited by nlinley: Nov 5 2008, 10:38 AM
sordanny
post Nov 5 2008, 11:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,008 posts

QUOTE(nlinley @ Nov 5 2008, 10:33 AM)
Ok from the screen shots, that NoDriveAutoRun key is also part of this.  From microsoft's description of that:

The value of this entry consists of 32 bits. The lower 26 bits each represent a drive, with the lowest (right-most) bit representing drive A, and the 26th bit from the right representing drive Z. If a bit is set to 0, the Autoplay feature is enabled on that drive. If a bit is set to 1, the Autoplay feature is disabled on that drive.

With your value's being as they are, autorun is completely disabled on all of your drives.  If you want to enable it, set all the values to 0's for both keys.  But again...I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT ENABLING AUTOPLAY DUE TO SECURITY REASONS!!.  Learn the other easy ways to open your drives quickly.

Added on November 5, 2008, 10:38 amOh yeah, one more thing.  If you have a computer that has group policy being applied from a company network, or even a local group policy on your machine that is disabling autoplay, changing the registry is not going to help you as the group policy settings will override whatever you have set in the registry.  You can check your local group policy by doing the following:

Click start-> Run
type: gpedit.msc

Go to User section, Administrative templates, Windows Components, System...and look at "Turn off autoplay" to see if anything is set there.

Go to Computer section, Administrative templates, Windows Components, System...and look at "Turn off autoplay" to see if anything is set there.

If you see turn of autoplay enabled, and you have admin access to your machine you can disable them.  Then do:

Start->Run
type:  gpupdate /force  (for windows XP)
Thanks bro nlinley for your help
The problem now is, how to set the value to 0 for both keys?
I've taken some pics from there, pls teach me how to do it...

And also i don't notice any folder or key named System in gpedit.msc
pic also attached

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it notworthy.gif
nlinley
post Nov 5 2008, 11:20 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
181 posts

On the registry editing, you can just select modify from the menu then replace each number with a zero. For the binary value FF FF, if you just click at the beginning of it and start typing 0's i think it overwrites what is there. For the other Dword key, just change the value to 0.

For the group policy, I might have typed the full path wrong. If you look at the left side of your screen shot, System folder all the way at the bottom, it should be there. I checked the path in XP, but it should be the same for Vista I think.
sordanny
post Nov 5 2008, 11:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,008 posts

For changing the binary value FF FF, is it typing in four 0 at the beginning?
And how to change the Dword key to 0?
Dword key means the y thing at the end of right side?

Under gpedit - turn off autoplay, it's not configured. So I guess it's ok to just leave it?

Also, erm I'm using XP, it's a vista interface thing that I applied that makes it look like vista sweat.gif
nlinley
post Nov 5 2008, 11:42 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
181 posts

Yes type 0 zeros at the beginning of the binary value. For the dword one, just modify, clear what is there now and type 0.

For it to take effect though you might need to log off your machine and log back in after the changes are done.
sordanny
post Nov 5 2008, 11:51 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,008 posts

I keyed in four 0 (zero) in front of the FF words. But after I delete the four y at the end. The FF words disappeared. Is it normal? Can u please post a pic to teach me how to do it?
Thanks notworthy.gif
nlinley
post Nov 5 2008, 11:58 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
181 posts

Actually I don't have that key on my machine. Everything is just configured by the dword key. The binary key just gives you more control. Since you want to enable autoplay, you could just delete that key completely. It is only required when you want to restrict autoplay.
sordanny
post Nov 5 2008, 01:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,008 posts

Thanks for your help!!! notworthy.gif
My problem solved laugh.gif
metalslug
post Nov 5 2008, 01:34 PM

Casual
404 posts

so unpro. lol tongue.gif
sordanny
post Dec 10 2008, 05:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,008 posts

Is there a version of flash disinfector that will install itself? I just plugged in my pendrive and I don't know what my colleague did to it all autorun turned off vmad.gif vmad.gif vmad.gif

Can someone help me to remove flash disinfector and it's settings?

I know it is flash disinfector causing all the problems cuz there's a folder created by it vmad.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0230sec    0.70    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 01:24 PM