Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Traffic light - need to shift gear to N or not?, need advise

views

sakaic
post Feb 2 2007, 05:23 PM

Enthusiast
918 posts

Its a safety thingy........Some cars lurch forward if you don't apply brake before engaging D.

Shifting in and out of D causes the clutch plates to grind so if you treat it like a manual then its gonna wear prematurely. If its cos of long periods then yeah cos the gearbox oil will heat up and increase wear on the oil seals.

I thought we had this discussion sometime ago......
pilotHans
post Feb 6 2007, 12:35 AM

scuderia ferrari pit crew (" ,)
2,525 posts

personally when arriving to traffic lights I break, nearlly stop then I change to N.....

speaking of shift gears....is it okay if I change from D to N to R quikly.....sometime I do that when parking..... sweat.gif
tester1979
post Feb 6 2007, 01:21 AM

*** O.M.G ***
1,317 posts

QUOTE(pilotHans @ Feb 6 2007, 12:35 AM)
personally when arriving to traffic lights I break, nearlly stop then I change to N.....

speaking of shift gears....is it okay if I change from D to N to R quikly.....sometime I do that when parking..... sweat.gif
as long as you come to a complete stop, it would still be ok.....

it would hurt the gear box a lot if you car is still rolling forward and then you engaged from D > N > R

this is also same if manual.....

Added on February 6, 2007, 1:23 am
QUOTE(sakaic @ Feb 2 2007, 05:23 PM)
Its a safety thingy........Some cars lurch forward if you don't apply brake before engaging D.

Shifting in and out of D causes the clutch plates to grind so if you treat it like a manual then its gonna wear prematurely. If its cos of long periods then yeah cos the gearbox oil will heat up and increase wear on the oil seals.

I thought we had this discussion sometime ago......
hmm.....i believe as long as you get the oil changed at the correct interval, any wear and tear could still be controlled....

anyway, i am still new with auto car.....have not experience changing the oil seals for auto trans......any idea how many oil seals and how much it costs?

This post has been edited by tester1979: Feb 6 2007, 01:23 AM
bukanmain
post Feb 13 2007, 02:06 PM

I'm only 20,still learning..
1,711 posts

aiyoh bro..if isawara dont change to N the car and me will shake like hell..
porkchop
post Feb 13 2007, 03:42 PM

Lalala Life's Sweet
6,626 posts

i would think this is what most ppl does..

ever feel sometimes your legs are freakin tired?? so when at traffic light, change to n pull handbrake and rest your legs la....
sakaito
post Feb 15 2007, 01:48 AM

Regular
1,366 posts

hahha... for me, if at traffic light, i put all the way to P! why? cos i kena before already, put N but accidently pushed it back into D, "bang" kissed the car in front. learnt my lesson, never leave in D or N at traffic light. biggrin.gif
acbc
post Feb 15 2007, 01:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,476 posts

Always keep to D. If car vibrates, it means the gearbox or engine mountings need replacement.

My car used to vibrate a lot when in D but after changing all 4 engine mountings, it's vibration-free now. The cost? Some RM 600++
K3nnYkl82
post Feb 15 2007, 10:03 AM

2,479 posts

QUOTE(giggs_509 @ Jan 25 2007, 12:33 PM)
if use auto, is it true that changing gear frequently from D to N and back will cause more wear to the valves and clutch plates?
FYI, there isnt any clutch pads in an Autogearbox... its using a torque convertor ... except for AMT .
tester1979
post Feb 15 2007, 10:39 AM

*** O.M.G ***
1,317 posts

QUOTE(sakaito @ Feb 15 2007, 01:48 AM)
hahha... for me, if at traffic light, i put all the way to P! why? cos i kena before already, put N but accidently pushed it back into D, "bang" kissed the car in front. learnt my lesson, never leave in D or N at traffic light. biggrin.gif
that's why its the law to pull your handbrake at traffic lights.....

anyway, sakaito, wanna ask you something.....when the accident happened....your car very near to the car infront?

i usually stop about 5 feet or more from the car infront to avoid this accidents. even so when on slope....you'll never know if the front's car has faulty handbrake or the guy accidentally released his brake when his feet are tired.....

Added on February 15, 2007, 10:42 am
QUOTE(acbc @ Feb 15 2007, 01:52 AM)
Always keep to D. If car vibrates, it means the gearbox or engine mountings need replacement.

My car used to vibrate a lot when in D but after changing all 4 engine mountings, it's vibration-free now. The cost? Some RM 600++
if change to N, you'll avoid from abusing the mountings unnecessarily.......

scared of the wear and tear of gearbox? that's the use of auto transmission oil....just change regularly and no problem at all

This post has been edited by tester1979: Feb 15 2007, 10:42 AM
Dannyl
post Feb 15 2007, 10:42 AM

what the fucuk-yimai
6,113 posts

QUOTE(tester1979 @ Feb 15 2007, 10:39 AM)
that's why its the law to pull your handbrake at traffic lights.....
Ya, and it's also the law to stop at such a distance from the car in front that you can see his rear tyres.
hk_loo
post Feb 16 2007, 08:11 AM

Regular
1,750 posts

QUOTE(sakaito @ Feb 15 2007, 01:48 AM)
your car don't have brake 1? hmm.gif
also, it clearly shows u like to stop the car very near to the front car tongue.gif
turbo10
post Feb 16 2007, 11:25 AM

Getting Started
237 posts

my opinion..shift to N while stopping, engage 2 to start moving and engage D when u have gained the speed. it will relief the gearbox when u use higher torque with lower gearing coz if u accelerate from static it will need a lot of torque and will stress the gb more..e.g we drive manual y we start moving with 1st gear but not 3rd or 4th? u will damage your AT (or even manual) if u did not change the gear oil accordingly.btw AT doesnt have clutch plates, it have torque converter..just to share experience..my 2 cents..if kena flame i lariiii..
Liuism
post Feb 16 2007, 11:34 AM

Regular
1,866 posts

QUOTE(turbo10 @ Feb 16 2007, 11:25 AM)
my opinion..shift to N while stopping, engage 2 to start moving and engage D when u have gained the speed. it will relief the gearbox when u use higher torque with lower gearing coz if u accelerate from static it will need a lot of torque and will stress the gb more..e.g we drive manual y we start moving with 1st gear but not 3rd or 4th? u will damage your AT (or even manual) if u did not change the gear oil accordingly.btw AT doesnt have clutch plates, it have torque converter..just to share experience..my 2 cents..if kena flame i lariiii..
Thanks for the info! icon_rolleyes.gif
clsiluf
post Feb 17 2007, 09:46 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,058 posts

u mean suppose all auto car should start from 2 and not D ?

ceo684
post Feb 17 2007, 11:49 AM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

For what? 2 and D the difference is only the max gear, they both start in 1st. Use D for normal driving and 2 for genting. And accelerate slowly in 1st then tekan more in 2nd to reduce stress on the autobox..since accelerating from dead stop is more stressful than once it starts rolling.

This post has been edited by ceo684: Feb 17 2007, 11:50 AM
LaiN87
post Feb 26 2007, 05:46 PM

Nom nom nom...
1,281 posts

LOL!!! This turbo10 really wanna kena flame la u... U think if D means the car will move from 0 km/h at gear 3/4 ar.. Siao mer XD Try putting ur manual car at gear 3/4.. Rev up to 6k RPM maybe it'll move la + it's downhill.

It's liddat rite? You can treat any auto car as a Semi-auto as in you can control your gear. How?

First explain gear....

1 - Max gear 1 will be used
2 - Max gear 2 will be used
D - Max gear 3 will be used (OD off)
D - Max gear 4 will be used (OD on)

So, if you want you can start your car with 1, rev/release throttle whenever u wan until you are happy and you wanna change gear, then change to 2. Repeat and change to D for gear change.

So, I'm saying is~ Using D means u'll still start with gear 1 > <

This post has been edited by LaiN87: Feb 26 2007, 05:46 PM
kev da man
post Feb 26 2007, 05:49 PM

super lurker
All Stars
15,278 posts

AT gearboxes do have clutch plates but not clutch pads.
and anyways, with a car that has sufficient low end torque, you can start moving from gear 5 (like the chevy corvette Z06)

it will NOT kill your tranny
Haihzz
post Mar 1 2007, 09:08 AM

On my way
511 posts

what if i switch from D to P. some roads are rather slopepy. if N maybe can slide down?.
tester1979
post Mar 1 2007, 01:37 PM

*** O.M.G ***
1,317 posts

QUOTE(Haihzz @ Mar 1 2007, 09:08 AM)
what if i switch from D to P. some roads are rather slopepy. if N maybe can slide down?.
i am assuming that you are parking the car. so switch to P all the times. its for the obvious safety and security reasons.

turbo10
post Mar 9 2007, 05:07 PM

Getting Started
237 posts

ok..my bad sad.gif ..thanx 4 clearing things up icon_rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by turbo10: Mar 9 2007, 05:15 PM

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0181sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:42 PM