Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Built in wardrobe, No back panel?

views

TSEve90
post Aug 22 2016, 01:05 AM, updated 8y ago

Getting Started
151 posts

So I just recently engaged a contractor to do my built in wardrobe for my new condo. He is almost finishing the work but I noticed that my wardrobe in the master room do not have a back panel. He literally just used the wall as the back of the wardrobe. The other room wardrobe however came with the back wood.

I questioned him about it and he said it is normal as it is a walk in kind of wardrobe and he did a few which is also without the back panel. My wardrobe isn't even a walk in type in the first place.

Did I get cheated? Like is it even normal that a built in wardrobe do not have a wood attached to the wall?? This is the first time I am hearing such a thing.

TQVM
hanknives
post Aug 22 2016, 01:17 AM

Getting Started
252 posts

got photo?

ozak
post Aug 22 2016, 09:09 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

It is not called cheat. But cost down. biggrin.gif

Normally standard custom or ready make from factory, the cabinet unit is complete with back.

They just assembly and add in the door and outer skin.

But without the back, how they screw it to the wall ? Is all the ugly attachment can be see ?

idoblu
post Aug 22 2016, 11:17 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

both ways also got but no backing is a cheap way out - save cost measure
yours have no doors right?

mine doesnt have a backing either but mine is aluminum pole system so you cant have a backing. But not all walkin wardrobes have no backing.

maybe a photo would help

This post has been edited by idoblu: Aug 22 2016, 11:19 AM
ozak
post Aug 22 2016, 11:25 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Aug 22 2016, 11:17 AM)
both ways also got but no backing is a cheap way out - save cost measure
yours have no doors right?

mine doesnt have a backing either but mine is aluminum pole system so you cant have a backing. But not all walkin wardrobes have no backing.

maybe a photo would help
Totally different type la.

Your wife got pole dance for you ? brows.gif
idoblu
post Aug 22 2016, 11:34 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Aug 22 2016, 11:25 AM)
Totally different type la.

Your wife got pole dance for you ?  brows.gif
haha.... rclxms.gif
thank goodness NO tongue.gif

last time I got one buildin wardrobe wall to wall type. It doesnt have backing either. It was a low budget wardrobe for my second room. I didnt see any screws attachment etc.

I had a problem later on with it. The wall somehow attracts a lot of mould. It wasnt the wardrobe's fault but the wall. Behind the wall is open air. The wardrobe stinks of sour smell from the mould. Yucks

This post has been edited by idoblu: Aug 22 2016, 11:35 AM
enriquelee
post Aug 25 2016, 11:37 AM

Don't ask for more, ask for COKE
All Stars
10,507 posts

QUOTE(Eve90 @ Aug 22 2016, 01:05 AM)
So I just recently engaged a contractor to do my built in wardrobe for my new condo. He is almost finishing the work but I noticed that my wardrobe in the master room do not have a back panel. He literally just used the wall as the back of the wardrobe. The other room wardrobe however came with the back wood.

I questioned him about it and he said it is normal as it is a walk in kind of wardrobe and he did a few which is also without the back panel. My wardrobe isn't even a walk in type in the first place.

Did I get cheated? Like is it even normal that a built in wardrobe do not have a wood attached to the wall?? This is the first time I am hearing such a thing.

TQVM
Why not you throw a question to them, "Why only master room wardrobe is not having back panel while other room have?"
I think the worker miss out this, and they just want to avoid the hassle to putting it back. The cost of the back panel is relatively cheap. But to install it back after the carcass is already installed is kind of troublesome.
TSEve90
post Aug 25 2016, 04:12 PM

Getting Started
151 posts

QUOTE(enriquelee @ Aug 25 2016, 11:37 AM)
Why not you throw a question to them, "Why only master room wardrobe is not having back panel while other room have?"
I think the worker miss out this, and they just want to avoid the hassle to putting it back. The cost of the back panel is relatively cheap. But to install it back after the carcass is already installed is kind of troublesome.
Already asked. He replied to me saying all the wardrobe he did for other places like Mon't Kiara also like this.

Anyway I insisted that I want the back panel. He charged me extra of course.
TSEve90
post Aug 25 2016, 04:12 PM

Getting Started
151 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Aug 22 2016, 11:34 AM)
haha.... rclxms.gif
thank goodness NO  tongue.gif

last time I got one buildin wardrobe wall to wall type. It doesnt have backing either. It was a low budget wardrobe for my second room. I didnt see any screws attachment etc.

I had a problem later on with it. The wall somehow attracts a lot of mould. It wasnt the wardrobe's fault but the wall. Behind the wall is open air. The wardrobe stinks of sour smell from the mould. Yucks
Yeah this is what I was concerned about. The moisture in the wardrobe due to the wall.
enriquelee
post Aug 25 2016, 04:36 PM

Don't ask for more, ask for COKE
All Stars
10,507 posts

QUOTE(Eve90 @ Aug 25 2016, 04:12 PM)
Already asked. He replied to me saying all the wardrobe he did for other places like Mon't Kiara also like this.

Anyway I insisted that I want the back panel. He charged me extra of course.
Then he confirm want to con you la.
lizziewong
post Aug 26 2016, 11:26 AM

Getting Started
185 posts

Maxima Kitchen wardrobes do not come with back panels. The Installer showed me that the wardrobe is just as strong (if not stronger) by doing a swing on the carcass. I was told that this is Australian standards. After some thoughts on the matter, I now also prefer wardrobes without back panel. This is especially good, if the wardrobe is installed on the wall that is facing the exterior or bathrooms -- you never know when there is leaking or water flowing in during a thunder storm. Also, termite attack will not go unnoticed! Of course, there is also some cost savings which hopefully will pass to the consumer.
McSundae
post Aug 26 2016, 10:41 PM

Getting Started
263 posts

My house newly done wardrobe without back panel, sharing is caring.

Without door
user posted image

With door
user posted image

Dont ask me about the price, my wife fully in charge in this.

This post has been edited by McSundae: Aug 27 2016, 01:16 AM
qwerty223
post Aug 27 2016, 01:24 PM

On my way
670 posts

people always think concrete is water proof but it is not, it actually works like a sponge. Leaving back panel off will cause your wardrobe humid all the time.

But yes, it is a normal way to cut cost. So your contractor is not "wrong".

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0176sec    0.22    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:12 PM