Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Career in Environment, Health & Safety, ESH, OSH

views

nGeeMoN
post Dec 8 2013, 11:46 AM

Getting Started
206 posts

QUOTE(klein @ Dec 8 2013, 08:31 AM)
All want to be HSE officer because of the money. The most qualified person to be one is those who already have experience working in the plant/ offshore. Just because u are fresh out of college/ uni then attend a course, u think u are entitled to it and will make a good one to earn big bucks.. laughable.. Wait till shit happens, u will be first to go
i know right.. but cannot blame them, even to attend safety course minimum qualification is SPM whistling.gif
although most of them will be a laughing stock, I've met those quality HSE Officer from this new generation, differ from old timer one.

QUOTE(MAD MAX @ Dec 8 2013, 10:54 AM)
Hi klein, money is no doubt important in our lives. Some of us want to take the risk of switching careers to lead a good life and earn well. It's a big risk, thats why i hope people understand some of our concerns here. We just wanna know how to get about things and advise from experienced ppl in the industry to guide us.
yes..switching career might be risky but the patient must be there.
you might earn more than 3k in previous job just dont expect once you switch it will be better.

MAD MAX
post Dec 8 2013, 01:15 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

QUOTE(nGeeMoN @ Dec 8 2013, 11:46 AM)
i know right.. but cannot blame them, even to attend safety course minimum qualification is SPM whistling.gif
although most of them will be a laughing stock, I've met those quality HSE Officer from this new generation, differ from old timer one.
yes..switching career might be risky but the patient must be there.
you might earn more than 3k in previous job just dont expect once you switch it will be better.
yes definitely...can't expect big salary straight away..not realistic.in any field also..as long as there is a path and plan, can be good in the future.
klein
post Dec 8 2013, 01:56 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(nGeeMoN @ Dec 8 2013, 11:46 AM)
even those fresh grads who are lucky to be hired by operators directly to be hse executives.. I know some are struggling because they are not plant/ offshore ppl.. Talking about hazards n accidents is easy on paper/ powerpoint slides, but its those who have 1st hand experience in the environment who have the upper hands
kusanagi_kof
post Dec 8 2013, 08:01 PM

43 posts

QUOTE(nGeeMoN @ Dec 6 2013, 07:23 PM)
laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif
bro, if you think with the amount of RM4,950.00 from you pocket can guarantee you a spot of RM4,000.00 basic soon after you finished the course, you are TOTALLY WRONG.
if like that dont you think everybody would take this so called short cut already?  hmm.gif
and by saying you wasted your money by taking the course already proven you are not suited for this field.
RM4,000.00 is the value of knowledge on what safety is all about, not the ticket price to be SHO.

but dont feel bad, let me try to explain how to be a SHO, correct me if I'm wrong  tongue.gif

let say:

situation 1:
-you are a fresh grad (Dip/Deg/Master) in any field EXCEPT related to safety, health & environment
-you need to take SHO course+exams (total RM4,950.00)
-first job straight approach a Safety Health Officer (SHO) position. (1% successful rate)
-at the same time, try look for other entry level safety position. (safety supervisor, safety executive, safety promoter, safety representative, safety coordinator) << 70% successful rate depends on your interview but the salary might be below your expectation.
-3 years later, your experience could give you a shot in applying green book (GB) << 80% successful rate
-become the SHO << demand your own salary
situation 2:
-you are a salary man (engineer/banker/technician/operator/salesman)
-you need to take SHO course+exams (total RM4,950.00)
-straight approach a Safety Health Officer (SHO) position. (1% successful rate, unless you are familiar with the job nature, mostly technician and engineer rise to 50% successful rate) << yet cannot demand salary since not a competent SHO
-at the same time, try look for other entry level safety position. (safety supervisor, safety executive, safety promoter, safety representative, safety coordinator) << 90% successful rate salary, might drop from your previous job since you need to start from ground zero. (depends on situation)
-3 years experience could give you a shot in applying green book (GB) << 80% successful rate
-become the SHO << demand your own salary
Thanks for the explanation. However, I'm not intend to looked any short cut here to get for a 5 figure income. It's just my desire and interest to be one as previously i don't have enough budget to enter this course and now since i have enough budget so why not I'm take it. It's just I need to know if there is any chances for me who doesn't have any experience in that field to be one and get experience in that field.

Thanks again for your information as it is really helped and prepared me to get in this field.

nGeeMoN
post Dec 8 2013, 08:07 PM

Getting Started
206 posts

QUOTE(kusanagi_kof @ Dec 8 2013, 08:01 PM)
Thanks for the explanation. However, I'm not intend to looked any short cut here to get for a 5 figure income. It's just my desire and interest to be one as previously i don't have enough budget to enter this course and now since i have enough budget so why not I'm take it. It's just I need to know if there is any chances for me who doesn't have any experience in that field to be one and get experience in that field.

Thanks again for your information as it is really helped and prepared me to get in this field.
"those who wish to sing always find a song"

dont worry...

mynameisjude
post Aug 7 2014, 11:09 PM

40 posts

Hello, not sure if thread still active since it's been awhile from the last post.

Anyway, currently planning on taking the 22 days course by NIOSH ; question is what module does has higher percentage of failing?

2nd question is regarding NEBOSH ; do i need to take it outside Malaysia? is there any local institution ?

Thank you.
nursyabilazabidi
post Mar 31 2015, 10:46 AM

2 posts

Hi Guys,

How do we call person with NIOSH Safety and Health Certificate (Trainee)? I mean, just ended course n r looking for first job in HSE.

6 Pages « < 4 5 6Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0136sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:41 PM