Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The watch thread v13!

views

friedricetheman
post May 9 2021, 10:01 AM

Watch Idiot Savant
734 posts

QUOTE(pleasuresaurus @ May 9 2021, 02:28 AM)
Haiyooo bro, was really tempted, i really like sector dials, sexy af. Dah la sales girl pun comel. BUT! Unfortunately been pulling too many triggers di recently on watches 😅 so have to exercise some restraint.

The Longines Heritage line is genuinely interesting, they really have a number of pieces that aren't just attractive, but also at a great price point.
Longines and Tissot have been releasing really great vintage inspired pieces lately. Tissot PRX is a really nice watch with integrated bracelet at a great price point.
pleasuresaurus
post May 9 2021, 10:41 AM

spin spin sugar
2,332 posts

QUOTE(friedricetheman @ May 9 2021, 10:01 AM)
Longines and Tissot have been releasing really great vintage inspired pieces lately. Tissot PRX is a really nice watch with integrated bracelet at a great price point.
Interesting that u mention Tissot, on the same trip I also stopped by their shop to take a look at the PRX. Seems they only had the white dial in store, the blue one laku keras, sold out with no indication of when restock.

The girl asked me to fill a form saying she'll let me know when there's stock.

Tissot pun dah kena waitlist la bang, macam mana ni?! What is the world kambing to?? 🤣🤣🤣
friedricetheman
post May 9 2021, 10:55 AM

Watch Idiot Savant
734 posts

QUOTE(pleasuresaurus @ May 9 2021, 10:41 AM)
Interesting that u mention Tissot, on the same trip I also stopped by their shop to take a look at the PRX. Seems they only had the white dial in store, the blue one laku keras, sold out with no indication of when restock.

The girl asked me to fill a form saying she'll let me know when there's stock.

Tissot pun dah kena waitlist la bang, macam mana ni?! What is the world kambing to?? 🤣🤣🤣
Too much hype and Tissot intentionally drip feeding the blue dials. It’s quite normal that the wait list cancer is slowing making its way downstream.

Just like status symbols tend to start at the top and slowly being adopted by the lower classes. Trends in watches are also the same, starts at the top or near top and trickles downwards to the lower tier brands. This effect is called “trickle-down theory”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickle-down_effect

This post has been edited by friedricetheman: May 9 2021, 03:47 PM
vankodoq
post May 12 2021, 11:14 AM

Casual
345 posts

Just a curious question, how do you guys see affordable watches?
I'm a relatively new watch enthusiast and to be honest, at first I felt intimidated when people are talking about watch as a hobby
Because from general middle-class point of view, it immediately connects to watches like Rolex, Patek, AP, Omega, and other brands that are largely unaffordable bye.gif

It's not until a friend of mine introduced me to a much more affordable brands, like Seiko or Orient, that I found my interest in watches
Of course in the end I want to have a couple of those atas brands, but since I'm in the hobby, I somehow want to share to the general public that it's not always about the expensive brands icon_idea.gif
infiniti123
post May 12 2021, 11:23 AM

Getting Started
291 posts

QUOTE(vankodoq @ May 12 2021, 11:14 AM)
I'm a relatively new watch enthusiast and to be honest, at first I felt intimidated when people are talking about watch as a hobby
Because from general middle-class point of view, it immediately connects to watches like Rolex, Patek, AP, Omega, and other brands that are largely unaffordable bye.gif

It's not until a friend of mine introduced me to a much more affordable brands, like Seiko or Orient, that I found my interest in watches
Of course in the end I want to have a couple of those atas brands, but since I'm in the hobby, I somehow want to share to the general public that it's not always about the expensive brands icon_idea.gif
There's a lot of brands with strong and rich heritage in the market and i think on the forum you've seen many speak fondly about longines and tissots. its unfortunate that on social media its all Rolex rolex rolex, omega etc etc.

on the bright side, these brands usually fetch a 15-20% discount on boutiques and its a better stepping stone into the world of watches.

i personally love the new releases from Seiko recently!

user posted image

This post has been edited by infiniti123: May 12 2021, 11:24 AM
friedricetheman
post May 12 2021, 12:02 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
734 posts

Bro. My advice to you is to buy the most expensive watch you can afford as your first watch. You will be wearing it a lot longer than if you buy a cheap one and keep upgrading upwards every few months or so.

Also, you will end up with a lot of unwanted watches which you are unable to sell off without taking a huge hit on resale value.

I was a poor fresh grad but I saved up for a year (bonus and all) plus used up all my savings to buy myself my first Rolex, which was a Datejust (at RM9800) in 2003. The watch was my only watch for 6 years before I became a full fledge WIS and started collecting watches.

I still have that watch until today and I still wear it on rotation.

I don’t think I would be wearing my first watch today if it was a cheaper watch as those watches usually cost more to service than to replace with a new one.

My two cents.
pleasuresaurus
post May 12 2021, 03:10 PM

spin spin sugar
2,332 posts

That is a valid view point – that it’s not always about expensive brands.

For most of us, watch collecting is just a hobby. There are myriad facets to the hobby (any hobby really), from acquisition, design, mechanics, engineering, maintenance, modification, history etc... And as hobbies go, it always starts with an individual sense of enthusiasm, growing into a more communal experience. (Note that I speak of hobbies and enthusiasts, not commerce and flippers. That’s a whole other can of worms.)

Some enthusiasts can afford to splurge, some are constrained, some like min-maxing within that constraint, some enjoy knowledge and understanding rather than material accretions, some achieve satisfaction from acquiring rare or valuable pieces, some flex on IG.... it means different things to different people.

Don’t dampen your enthusiasm and experience simply because you think you can’t afford a Patek, AP, Rollie, FPJ, Omega whatever... few people can. You don’t have to own it to appreciate it. Don’t feel the need to have to keep up with the Joneses. We genuinely don't wanna see fellow forumers end up with AKPK or Insolvency Dpmt. Likewise, those who genuinely like watches would appreciate an interesting timepiece regardless of price tag. That's not even to say about the fact that the general population don't really know and care about the watches we wear and might only be attracted to its looks (*insert fashion watch joke tongue.gif )

Besides, there’s a whole world of brands out there with plenty of value like your friend had suggested. Conglomerate brands, independents, microbrands. Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Casio, Minase, Christopher Ward, Smiths, Marathon, Zelos, Farer, Baltic, Tissot, Titoni, Mido, Sinn, Vostok, Stowa, Magrette, Doxa....shit dude, Seiko 5 alone got so much going on in its sub category that you can stay occupied with it for years!

Don’t have to jump off the deep end yet, even if you can afford to. Like friedrice bro mentioned, research and save up for that solid first piece that you will wear for a long long while. Not only would it be very puas hati, you would have learnt a lot more about watches along the way, talked to a lot of people and learn from them about what to observe and avoid, it would also make a lot more financial sense in the long run.

In parting, I would stress again that this is a hobby, its not a competition. Stay safe, happy raya and welcome to the dark side!

This post has been edited by pleasuresaurus: May 12 2021, 03:15 PM
fuzzy
post May 12 2021, 03:26 PM

*pew pew pew*
6,043 posts

They are largely inane items as well, so there's no need to own them to be a fan of them.

How many people can or want to own a lambo or ferarri for everyday use? But that doesn't mean one cannot be a fan of cars or supercars in general and talk about it.

I'm pretty sure we all own sub RM500 watches, in fact one of mine collection is a RM30 that shits proudly beside a figure figure piece. So price is really the last measure an enthusiast use as a benchmark for quality.

My advice is to actually go and try on the watches you think you like, regardless of the price point. You will find there are pieces that is "worth" the big ticket money, there are pieces that is absolutely garbage in your eyes. And just buy what you enjoy.

swanlover
post May 12 2021, 04:46 PM

Getting Started
185 posts

It’s better to have 3 grail watches then having 6-7 great or hyped watches ...
Chinoz
post May 12 2021, 04:54 PM

Llamas"R"Us
1,217 posts

I should also add, a lot of the frequent flyers here have been collectors for 10+ years.

We didnt all become Rolex enthusiasts overnight.
friedricetheman
post May 13 2021, 08:42 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
734 posts

QUOTE(Chinoz @ May 12 2021, 04:54 PM)
I should also add, a lot of the frequent flyers here have been collectors for 10+ years.

We didnt all become Rolex enthusiasts overnight.
I was a huge Rolex fan before the prices kena goreng by the grey market.

My first proper watch was a Rolex Datejust 36 that I still wear occasionally. It was just serviced by RSC two years ago and is still running beautifully.

The guy needs to know that he should get the watch he really wants that he can afford as his first watch. I am sure he has a rough idea on what he wants as his first watch. I know I did.

If he wants an Omega, he should wait awhile and save up for one instead of buying something cheaper now that he won’t be wearing in 20 years time.

Never buy placeholders just because you think you can’t afford your dream watch. Because in the end, you would still buy the watch you really want. But by then, you would have wasted so much money on “placeholder” watches along the way that could have been used for that one watch you really wanted in the first place.
swanlover
post May 14 2021, 08:21 AM

Getting Started
185 posts

Your lovely Rolex AD is your good friend and also the devils...
Ultima
post May 15 2021, 12:02 PM

KiRiSuTe GoMeN
5,170 posts

QUOTE(friedricetheman @ May 12 2021, 12:02 PM)
Bro. My advice to you is to buy the most expensive watch you can afford as your first watch. You will be wearing it a lot longer than if you buy a cheap one and keep upgrading upwards every few months or so.

This one soooooo very true.

Buy the most expensive one u can afford first as your first watch. Else u will end up like me also, too many unused watches 😅

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0234sec    0.73    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th May 2021 - 08:34 AM