304 Pages « < 257 258 259 260 261 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The watch thread v13!

views

swanlover
post May 3 2021, 05:13 PM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(friedricetheman @ May 3 2021, 05:03 PM)
Same thing with Patek Philippe. It’s a dress watch company but it makes very popular sports watches like Aquanaut and Nautilus.

Audemars Piguet is a sports watch company that makes quite a lot of dress watches like the Code 11:59, Jules Audemars and super complicated dress watches.

Nothing wrong with a Breguet sports watch. Also, it’s so different that you would probably be the only one at the party wearing one..
Not sure but it looks like 11.59 is a flop ...

It’ll remain the watch you are forced to buy to be able to get the RO you actually want…

friedricetheman
post May 3 2021, 06:07 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(swanlover @ May 3 2021, 05:13 PM)
Not sure but it looks like 11.59 is a flop ...

It’ll remain the watch you are forced to buy to be able to get the RO you actually want…
You really need to think whether if a Royal Oak is suitable for your lifestyle or not. You need to evaluate whether if you are buying one because it is selling for a lot more in the grey market or you are buying one because you like it for what it is.

I have been on the hunt for an AP RO since 2016. I believe I also opened a thread on an international watch forum during that time discussing whether if I should go with the Daytona or Royal Oak. In the end, the TT Daytona won even though everyone on the forum was pushing me towards the Royal Oak.

Do note that in 2016, Royal Oaks were freely available with the local boutique here stocking 2 pieces of the 15450 and a 15202 when I visited them in Starhill. They also have a Diver in black while I was there. I was also offered the Black dial ceramic Daytona at a slight premium of around 10% (which was the norm in the boutiques during the 2014-2016 era) but declined due to it being too plain.

But 4 years down the road, I ended up buying an Offshore. I did think long and hard about a RO 15450 but in the end due to the water resistance issue and my love for water activities, the Offshore won out.

For me, a Royal Oak Offshore is a better option due to the minimum 100m water resistant for their chronograph range and 300m water resistant for their divers. I am planning to add another ROO in the near future and possibly skipping the RO line all together.

You must have your reasons why you want a Royal Oak but make sure it’s because you have genuine love for the watch and not because of FOMO.

Just my two cents.

This post has been edited by friedricetheman: May 3 2021, 06:20 PM
vankodoq
post May 3 2021, 08:12 PM

Casual
373 posts

I just found out today that last March, Citizen announced their new mechanical movement called Caliber 0200
Their introduction is quite lengthy, but I was really interested in their new model using that movement
In the back of my mind, Citizen is this brand offering reliable watches with affordable price, so I was excited that I might be able to buy this!
But boy am I wrong or what!! Based on an article in Hoodinkee, the watch will come out in Autumn 2021, with a price tag of US$6,000! notworthy.gif

Well, the fact that they seem to use the expertise of La Joux-Perret (acquired in 2012 by Citizen) might be one factor to the price
That being said, as a new watch enthusiast who is still in the middle class society, I think I can only say farewell to this one bye.gif
swanlover
post May 3 2021, 10:04 PM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(friedricetheman @ May 3 2021, 06:07 PM)
You really need to think whether if a Royal Oak is suitable for your lifestyle or not. You need to evaluate whether if you are buying one because it is selling for a lot more in the  grey market or you are buying one because you like it for what it is.

I have been on the hunt for an AP RO since 2016. I believe I also opened a thread on an international watch forum during that time discussing whether if I should go with the Daytona or Royal Oak. In the end, the TT Daytona won even though everyone on the forum was pushing me towards the Royal Oak.

Do note that in 2016, Royal Oaks were freely available with the local boutique here stocking 2 pieces of the 15450 and a 15202 when I visited them in Starhill. They also have a Diver in black while I was there. I was also offered the Black dial ceramic Daytona at a slight premium of around 10% (which was the norm in the boutiques during the 2014-2016 era) but declined due to it being too plain.

But 4 years down the road, I ended up buying an Offshore. I did think long and hard about a RO 15450 but in the end due to the water resistance issue and my love for water activities, the Offshore won out.

For me, a Royal Oak Offshore is a better option due to the minimum 100m water resistant for their chronograph range and 300m water resistant for their divers. I am planning to add another ROO in the near future and possibly skipping the RO line all together.

You must have your reasons why you want a Royal Oak but make sure it’s because you have genuine love for the watch and not because of FOMO.

Just my two cents.
Yeah, RO is 50WR only , Diver is a nice watch but kinda too big on me...might be dropping AP..

See how it goes...Tq for the info

friedricetheman
post May 3 2021, 10:13 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(swanlover @ May 3 2021, 10:04 PM)
Yeah, RO is 50WR only , Diver is a nice watch but kinda too big on me...might be dropping AP..

See how it goes...Tq for the info
Buddy. Diver is only 1mm bigger than 15500 lah..

42mm vs 41mm.

It looks big because of the thicker bezel and O-ring. Otherwise, I believe both the 15500 and Diver wears the same.
ellimistx99
post May 4 2021, 11:59 AM

Getting Started
234 posts

Hey guys,

I got an Omega Speedmaster Professional as a gift. However, recently it broke, I think the main spring just broke inside.

When I went to the Omega store, they were asking somewhere around 3 - 4k to get it serviced.

However, I took it to a shop in Starling and they quoted me 1k. I understand that the 3/4k would be full servicing, but are there any decent aftermarket repair shops that I can trust?

Thanks.

This post has been edited by ellimistx99: May 4 2021, 12:00 PM
fuzzy
post May 4 2021, 12:45 PM

*pew pew pew*
6,659 posts

QUOTE(ellimistx99 @ May 4 2021, 11:59 AM)
Hey guys,

I got an Omega Speedmaster Professional as a gift. However, recently it broke, I think the main spring just broke inside.

When I went to the Omega store, they were asking somewhere around 3 - 4k to get it serviced.

However, I took it to a shop in Starling and they quoted me 1k. I understand that the 3/4k would be full servicing, but are there any decent aftermarket repair shops that I can trust?

Thanks.
My go-to is TSC in USJ. They were one of the more reputable ones in Amcorp before they shift to USJ.
friedricetheman
post May 4 2021, 01:32 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(ellimistx99 @ May 4 2021, 11:59 AM)
Hey guys,

Thanks.
Better to take it back to Swatch Group in Wisma Goldhill. I take all my watches back to the authorized service centers for servicing.

You get a 2 year warranty and free polish back to factory specs if you go the authorized service center route.
swanlover
post May 4 2021, 03:36 PM

On my way
627 posts

These repairer can get genuine parts from omega, Rolex, tag? How they get all the replacement parts?
friedricetheman
post May 4 2021, 05:11 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(swanlover @ May 4 2021, 03:36 PM)
These repairer can get genuine parts from omega, Rolex, tag? How they get all the replacement parts?
They can’t. They can only get parts for ETA movements as they are available for order.

For Rolex and Omega, the 3rd party watch repairer will usually just clean and oil the movement without changing any parts. The mainspring is swapped for a generic version that match your caliber the closest. If the length is a bit short, they will add a spacer inside the drum to compensate for it. Most watch repairers are prone to modify your movement and sometimes reshape your main plate with files and micro drills to accommodate more generic parts.

That’s why if you don’t want a frankenwatch, always send your watch back to the authorized service center.

This post has been edited by friedricetheman: May 4 2021, 05:12 PM
friedricetheman
post May 4 2021, 07:32 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

AP just sent another email stating that they are not closing their service center in Singapore but it is just temporary closed to public. Lol.

They apologize for the miscommunication in their earlier email.
r3kahsttub
post May 4 2021, 11:00 PM

IG: @MTHRFKNWIN
2,278 posts

Got the chance to view the 5990/1R in person today, and wow what a hunk of gold. Sadly, can see and cannot buy once again (no money, even if I did... wouldn't qualify).

user posted image user posted image

rx330
post May 5 2021, 09:49 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,586 posts

fuiyoh... really a chunk of gold there
pleasuresaurus
post May 7 2021, 10:41 PM

spin spin sugar
2,574 posts

Stumbled upon this piece while walking off a heavy buka puasa. Really digging the sector dial

user posted image
infiniti123
post May 8 2021, 06:09 PM

On my way
558 posts

QUOTE(pleasuresaurus @ May 7 2021, 10:41 PM)
Stumbled upon this piece while walking off a heavy buka puasa. Really digging the sector dial

user posted image
stumble already got buy or not? haha!
Yes i fine the longine heritage line to be very attractive as well! happy for brands like breitlings and longines on tackling their re-imagine vintage pieces as it seems to be the trend as well
pleasuresaurus
post May 9 2021, 02:28 AM

spin spin sugar
2,574 posts

QUOTE(infiniti123 @ May 8 2021, 06:09 PM)
stumble already got buy or not? haha!
Yes i fine the longine heritage line to be very attractive as well! happy for brands like breitlings and longines  on tackling their re-imagine vintage pieces as it seems to be the trend as well
Haiyooo bro, was really tempted, i really like sector dials, sexy af. Dah la sales girl pun comel. BUT! Unfortunately been pulling too many triggers di recently on watches 😅 so have to exercise some restraint.

The Longines Heritage line is genuinely interesting, they really have a number of pieces that aren't just attractive, but also at a great price point.
friedricetheman
post May 9 2021, 10:01 AM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(pleasuresaurus @ May 9 2021, 02:28 AM)
Haiyooo bro, was really tempted, i really like sector dials, sexy af. Dah la sales girl pun comel. BUT! Unfortunately been pulling too many triggers di recently on watches 😅 so have to exercise some restraint.

The Longines Heritage line is genuinely interesting, they really have a number of pieces that aren't just attractive, but also at a great price point.
Longines and Tissot have been releasing really great vintage inspired pieces lately. Tissot PRX is a really nice watch with integrated bracelet at a great price point.
pleasuresaurus
post May 9 2021, 10:41 AM

spin spin sugar
2,574 posts

QUOTE(friedricetheman @ May 9 2021, 10:01 AM)
Longines and Tissot have been releasing really great vintage inspired pieces lately. Tissot PRX is a really nice watch with integrated bracelet at a great price point.
Interesting that u mention Tissot, on the same trip I also stopped by their shop to take a look at the PRX. Seems they only had the white dial in store, the blue one laku keras, sold out with no indication of when restock.

The girl asked me to fill a form saying she'll let me know when there's stock.

Tissot pun dah kena waitlist la bang, macam mana ni?! What is the world kambing to?? 🤣🤣🤣
friedricetheman
post May 9 2021, 10:55 AM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(pleasuresaurus @ May 9 2021, 10:41 AM)
Interesting that u mention Tissot, on the same trip I also stopped by their shop to take a look at the PRX. Seems they only had the white dial in store, the blue one laku keras, sold out with no indication of when restock.

The girl asked me to fill a form saying she'll let me know when there's stock.

Tissot pun dah kena waitlist la bang, macam mana ni?! What is the world kambing to?? 🤣🤣🤣
Too much hype and Tissot intentionally drip feeding the blue dials. It’s quite normal that the wait list cancer is slowing making its way downstream.

Just like status symbols tend to start at the top and slowly being adopted by the lower classes. Trends in watches are also the same, starts at the top or near top and trickles downwards to the lower tier brands. This effect is called “trickle-down theory”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickle-down_effect

This post has been edited by friedricetheman: May 9 2021, 03:47 PM
vankodoq
post May 12 2021, 11:14 AM

Casual
373 posts

Just a curious question, how do you guys see affordable watches?
I'm a relatively new watch enthusiast and to be honest, at first I felt intimidated when people are talking about watch as a hobby
Because from general middle-class point of view, it immediately connects to watches like Rolex, Patek, AP, Omega, and other brands that are largely unaffordable bye.gif

It's not until a friend of mine introduced me to a much more affordable brands, like Seiko or Orient, that I found my interest in watches
Of course in the end I want to have a couple of those atas brands, but since I'm in the hobby, I somehow want to share to the general public that it's not always about the expensive brands icon_idea.gif

304 Pages « < 257 258 259 260 261 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0214sec    0.34    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:55 PM