Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[Desktop PC] Graphics Distorted + Coloured Stripes, Image attached, better than describing

views

TSjim0n
post Jul 29 2016, 08:54 PM, updated 8y ago

16 posts

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with the graphics on my PC. It happened while I was watching a video (haven't played any games in a few days). Suddenly the PC froze and displayed a black and white vertical criss-cross pattern over the whole screen.

I rebooted the PC and after that anything displayed is distorted with coloured bars on screen (see attached picture). I don't think it's a problem with the monitor since when use the monitor menu buttons the on screen display looks fine?

Attached Image

Am I screwed? Do I have to become a Serious Buyer tomorrow and PM someone for best price on a new GPU? Thanks for any advice you can give.

BTW I'm using a Sapphire Radeon 7950 Dual-X OC on an AMD FX6300 with 650w power supply.
vince316
post Jul 29 2016, 08:56 PM

Casual
306 posts

QUOTE(jim0n @ Jul 29 2016, 08:54 PM)
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with the graphics on my PC. It happened while I was watching a video (haven't played any games in a few days). Suddenly the PC froze and displayed a black and white vertical criss-cross pattern over the whole screen.

I rebooted the PC and after that anything displayed is distorted with coloured bars on screen (see attached picture). I don't think it's a problem with the monitor since when use the monitor menu buttons the on screen display looks fine?

Attached Image

Am I screwed? Do I have to become a Serious Buyer tomorrow and PM someone for best price on a new GPU? Thanks for any advice you can give.

BTW I'm using a Sapphire Radeon 7950 Dual-X OC on an AMD FX6300 with 650w power supply.
I think that is called an artifact.
Most likely the GC is a goner.
But I have heard people fixing the issue by heating up the chip.
bobowyc
post Jul 29 2016, 09:00 PM

You are who you are.
1,888 posts

QUOTE(vince316 @ Jul 29 2016, 08:56 PM)
I think that is called an artifact.
Most likely the GC is a goner.
But I have heard people fixing the issue by heating up the chip.
Lol. Might as well buy a new one, in case accidentally screw it up by melting it. xD HAHAHA. Anyway the GPU is pretty old already. Can upgrade to other better cards.. lol
TSjim0n
post Jul 29 2016, 09:49 PM

16 posts

Lol heating up means opening up the cooler and heatsink and stuff? Too scary haha.

Aww man my worst fear is confirmed. Haih. Well, maybe time to try nvidia and look for a gtx 960 / 970.

Ok lah consider this answered. Thanks for taking the time to answer guys!
UserU
post Aug 2 2016, 09:07 PM

CSONLINE2.NET - FREE COUNTER-STRIKE
Group Icon
Elite
5,013 posts

QUOTE(jim0n @ Jul 29 2016, 09:49 PM)
Lol heating up means opening up the cooler and heatsink and stuff? Too scary haha.
Nah, you'd need a heat gun which IMHO, is absolutely not worth buying solely for the GPU.

Well, the GTX960 is a good buy if you could get it for less than RM600. Shld be able to happily run modern games.
TAGreptiles
post Aug 3 2016, 05:41 PM

taggyMY
Group Icon
1,874 posts

You can throw it into the oven if you dont have a heat gun. remove all plastic parts and wrap the thing up with aluminium foil, exposing only the GPU chip. Bake at 400*c for 2 mins. Preheat the oven first. then pray that it works. You most likely be able to use it for a couple of months before its a perma goner. Did this to my old 9800 and managed to use for another 7 months before i had to replace it. laugh.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0138sec    0.14    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:36 PM