Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Is co-curriculum marks that important in stpm?

views

TSHesther
post Jul 28 2016, 07:27 PM, updated 8y ago

10 posts

My school keep asking form 6 students to take part in every activities in school to gain kk marks. Do I need a lot of kk marks (like over the minimum requirements) to enter public university? Do I need to join every activities in school to get those marks? Or is a good result in stpm (with some kk marks) enough to enter university? Need some advice thanks in advance ☺

This post has been edited by Hesther: Jul 29 2016, 07:12 PM
SUSGregyong
post Jul 28 2016, 07:40 PM

Regular
1,167 posts

curriculum or co-curriculum ?
They mean different things tongue.gif

Anyways, you don't need the latter to get a job or university position, but rather if you've serve in certain positions, it gives credibility to your bullshit when talking with interviewers.
Also gives the right experience when you're in the right position.
regan96
post Jul 28 2016, 07:41 PM

On my way
581 posts

Dont blame anyone but yourself if the UA did not give you Uni and the reason stated is "because your kk mark low"
Graz
post Jul 28 2016, 08:56 PM

17 posts

If u plan to get into IPTA or apply any scholarship, they will take into your account of kk mark... So be serious .
maprocks
post Jul 28 2016, 09:11 PM

Getting Started
267 posts

QUOTE(regan96 @ Jul 28 2016, 07:41 PM)
Dont blame anyone but yourself if the UA did not give you Uni and the reason stated is "because your kk mark low"
This.

(referring to TS)
Anyway, with the new Co-curricular format, we are required to do some projects, Co-curricular projects. 20 marks for the project, which is included in a total of 100 marks. 50 marks for attendance, 10 - Position, 10 - level of involvement, 10 - achievement and 20 marks projects. 20 marks are broke into 2 parts, Position and Involvement.
20 project marks, 50 marks for attendance, 10 marks for position and 10 for involvement shouldn't be a problem.

May I know which school and which area you are from?

This post has been edited by maprocks: Jul 28 2016, 09:15 PM
hihichew
post Jul 28 2016, 10:23 PM

On my way
677 posts

not sure bout this, but they do say it's a requirement if you're planning to enter IPTA, but IPTA is everything based on luck....

nothing is 100%
nexona88
post Jul 29 2016, 12:16 AM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,806 posts

yes, for IPTA your KK mark is very important.. some top students failed to get place because of lack of KK marks doh.gif mad.gif

but if u aiming for Private or foreign universities. then don't give damn about it blush.gif
azarimy
post Jul 29 2016, 01:22 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

contrary to what many people believe, public unis arent just a place to churn out capable workers. most of the time, the public unis are more interested in what you can do for them rather than what they can do for you. i know this because i'm incharge of intakes in UTM (for architecture).

in general, the universities' intake policies would mention "outstanding candidates" as a primary criteria (without explicitly saying what it is). it could absolute brilliance in academics, could be an excellence in sports, exceptional leadership skills, highly profitable entrepreneurial skills, national/international competition winners and so on.

i've interviewed many candidates since 2002. been doing this a long time. trust me, if u've never get involved outside the school (like representing in competitions etc), ur KK marks mean nothing even if u score full marks. there are always those who have achieved many great things even in primary school, and we look for these criteria on top of academic excellence.

bottom line is, u may disregard ur KK marks. but u better be damn sure ur academic marks are top tier A+. ALL OF IT. it's the only way to beat an A- average but with several international involvements under their belt.
TSHesther
post Jul 29 2016, 07:21 PM

10 posts

QUOTE(maprocks @ Jul 28 2016, 09:11 PM)
This.

(referring to TS)
Anyway, with the new Co-curricular format, we are required to do some projects, Co-curricular projects. 20 marks for the project, which is included in a total of 100 marks. 50 marks for attendance, 10 - Position, 10 - level of involvement, 10 - achievement and 20 marks projects. 20 marks are broke into 2 parts, Position and Involvement.
20 project marks, 50 marks for attendance, 10 marks for position and 10 for involvement shouldn't be a problem.

May I know which school and which area you are from?
If you put in that way i have at least a position in each club. I just finish a project with my friends and i as a pengerusi in that project, also i took part in it too. Does taking part in activities like English camp and camp bersepadu in school have kk marks?

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jul 29 2016, 01:22 AM)
contrary to what many people believe, public unis arent just a place to churn out capable workers. most of the time, the public unis are more interested in what you can do for them rather than what they can do for you. i know this because i'm incharge of intakes in UTM (for architecture).

in general, the universities' intake policies would mention "outstanding candidates" as a primary criteria (without explicitly saying what it is). it could absolute brilliance in academics, could be an excellence in sports, exceptional leadership skills, highly profitable entrepreneurial skills, national/international competition winners and so on.

i've interviewed many candidates since 2002. been doing this a long time. trust me, if u've never get involved outside the school (like representing in competitions etc), ur KK marks mean nothing even if u score full marks. there are always those who have achieved many great things even in primary school, and we look for these criteria on top of academic excellence.

bottom line is, u may disregard ur KK marks. but u better be damn sure ur academic marks are top tier A+. ALL OF IT. it's the only way to beat an A- average but with several international involvements under their belt.
So even if i have full kk marks in my stpm doen't mean i can get into a U? I did represent my division in competition like track and field ( with achievement) and english debating in my form 1 to form 5 years, does representing in my form 1 to form 5 years still count as an experience during an interview?

This post has been edited by Hesther: Aug 3 2016, 04:55 PM
azarimy
post Jul 29 2016, 10:11 PM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Hesther @ Jul 29 2016, 07:21 PM)

So even if i have full kk marks in my stpm doen't mean i can get into a U? I did represent my division in competition like track and field ( with achievement) and english debating in my form 1 to form 5 years, does representing in my form 1 to form 5 years still count as an experience during an interview?
getting into a U does take a considerable amount of luck. but it's a calculated luck, not blind luck.

it's simple really. imagine you're applying to civil engineering in university A. there are 100 spots open, but there are 120 applicants. meaning 20 will have to be rejected to go elsewhere. not because they didnt qualify, but they couldnt stand against the competition.

imagine u're applicant 101th in the ranking. applicant 100th has the exact same academic achievement as u. then it boils down to KK marks as tie breaker. if the marks alone are the same, then they'll start digging up those additional involvements. these also depend on the relevancy of those involvements/participations to the the course u're applying.

so your bridge design competition would fare well for civil engineering courses, but probably would contribute nothing if u're applying to accountancy.

my advice is to line-up those KK marks and participations directly to the course u're applying. not just some random positions or involvements. representation within the school (representing class, year or sports house) dont count much, unfortunately. it's when u start representing the school is where it counts.
TSHesther
post Aug 3 2016, 04:55 PM

10 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jul 29 2016, 10:11 PM)
getting into a U does take a considerable amount of luck. but it's a calculated luck, not blind luck.

it's simple really. imagine you're applying to civil engineering in university A. there are 100 spots open, but there are 120 applicants. meaning 20 will have to be rejected to go elsewhere. not because they didnt qualify, but they couldnt stand against the competition.

imagine u're applicant 101th in the ranking. applicant 100th has the exact same academic achievement as u. then it boils down to KK marks as tie breaker. if the marks alone are the same, then they'll start digging up those additional involvements. these also depend on the relevancy of those involvements/participations to the the course u're applying.

so your bridge design competition would fare well for civil engineering courses, but probably would contribute nothing if u're applying to accountancy.

my advice is to line-up those KK marks and participations directly to the course u're applying. not just some random positions or involvements. representation within the school (representing class, year or sports house) dont count much, unfortunately. it's when u start representing the school is where it counts.
Ok thx for the advice. It really helps a lot.
sea456hee
post Aug 3 2016, 05:54 PM

Getting Started
89 posts

i having about the same opinion as azarimy.
Aim for good ok marks if you wanna competite for popular courses, such as doctor, pharmacy, lawyer etc. Participation outside your school for example represent your school/state/country in various competition would means a lot. Other than that, your future employer would not be interested on your involvement in school activity.
I am speaking this because job applicant always present with a whole stack of photocopy of certs that claims their participation in such and such activities, where there is no relation with the job they want to apply.
Besides, you may also get involve in volunteer program like UNICEF or World Vision. Chose a well reputable organisation so that your future employer have a good impression on you.

This post has been edited by sea456hee: Aug 3 2016, 05:54 PM
bloodchow2
post Aug 3 2016, 10:54 PM

On my way
664 posts

absolutely required, here i explain this ur criteria for getting into public U is based on your merit. to earn this merit u "MUST" score well in both academic and co-curriculum in ur form 6. 90% academic result + 10% co-c marks = merit.

to get 100 merit u need to get 4.0 CGPA in form 6 + 10 marks in co-curriculum. and getting full 10 marks for koku in form 6 is near to impossible, the max i saw is only 8.6 where national competition is involved.
if you scored excellently in form 6 with 4.0 straight A's but with half koku marks of 5, u only get 90 (max) + 5 = 95 merit which is sufficient for most courses but not critical courses like medicine, accountant at UM

in malaysia pre-U students with merit 99-100 got like 4000+, imagine this 4000 students apply for medicine and accountancy how? there is only max 200 students in 1 course like MBBS, and the top of top students with merit 100 only can enter these critical courses, even with 4.0 + full kk marks also not guarantee a critical course. so how about student with merit 95?

thats why when you read newspaper every intake sure got STPM holder with 4 flat result cant enter medicine is due to the reason of co-curricular marks

tl;dr - kk marks is extremely important

utm student here

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0146sec    0.26    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:22 AM