Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Planning on going Masters in Japan, VERY lost right now

views

TSfiragax
post Jul 26 2016, 12:11 PM, updated 8y ago

32 posts

Hi guys! icon_question.gif

So I just completed my bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering and I would love to continue pursuing my postgraduate studies in Japan. However, I got a few questions:

1. I'm thinking of taking something like software engineering as I would love to indulge myself on programming software/programs/games etc. but is it recommended to shift to software since I just completed electrical engineering degree?

2. The reason I chose Japan is cause of a probably shallow reason which is to learn their culture and wanted to try and live there (its been a dream for me since secondary school). However, what are the recommended universities that I should take note off for software engineering?

3. If I'm keen and decided on going, who should I look for or what steps should I take to register for it?

Sorry guys, I really need help as I'm very lost right now. There are almost zero information given by my university regarding on studying postgraduate overseas and my lecturer seems to stop responding to my enquries. I've been stuck for more than a month now with no progress so I will deeply appreciate any help on my doubts and information that I can get from the community here.

Thanks a lot guys! Cheers!
hihichew
post Jul 26 2016, 01:23 PM

On my way
677 posts

i'm an IT background student, completing my degree programme in 1 year time...

hmmmm, i have been also researching on studying post grad in Japan as well, due to my 'otaku-ness', a little bit i guess....

basically, i think it's okay to transfer from Engineering Path to IT path as i have seen many of those lecturer did that as well....

but in order to get a post grad position in Japan, i think you would need to provide some field of your research area, this is because usually post grad in many university tend to be research based instead of educational based (like what you did in degree)...

i'm not sure whether you're looking for scholarship or you're willing to pay, if you're looking for scholarship, you would look up MEXT scholarship, and in order to increased the chance of success, you can try to email those proffessors across japan university and asked them to recommend you to MEXT as well...

all the best, do share me your experience as i would also wanted to go Japan >_< XD
TSOM
post Jul 26 2016, 02:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,145 posts

how much are the tuition fees? say for example, University of Tokyo. Is it expensive?
ungka
post Jul 26 2016, 02:51 PM

Casual
494 posts

last time the japanese embassy have such program to do masters in japan.
i cant remember the detail.

but u have to fill some form and write a proposal n your topic (for research based)
submit to the embassy.

try google it. sorry cant help much. i just since a friend of mind doing it. didnt care to ask for deatils
TSfiragax
post Jul 27 2016, 09:45 AM

32 posts

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Yes I do need scholarship >.< guess I'll take MEXT a look. I'll try to look up for the Japanese embassy too.

The main issue is that I'm really not sure and lost on how to proceed with postgraduate studies overseas. Thanks for some guidance to get me going, guys. smile.gif

Did anyone doing/completed their studies in Japan here? (Undergraduate or postgraduate alike)
sacwoc
post Jul 27 2016, 11:37 AM

Casual
306 posts

QUOTE(firagax @ Jul 27 2016, 10:45 AM)
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Yes I do need scholarship >.< guess I'll take MEXT a look. I'll try to look up for the Japanese embassy too.

The main issue is that I'm really not sure and lost on how to proceed with postgraduate studies overseas. Thanks for some guidance to get me going, guys. smile.gif

Did anyone doing/completed their studies in Japan here? (Undergraduate or postgraduate alike)
I did my masters in Japan more than a decade ago. Besides scholarship, you also need to think about Japanese language. There are some universities that offer it in English but you will need to google for it. You can check up some universities and contact them directly. This is what I did previously....I think I send out more than 30 emails and got about 4-5 replies. Please also take note, you need to have some idea what you want to do. Software engineering is so wide and if you are talking about postgraduate, the expectation is that you already have a rough idea what you want to research on.

TSfiragax
post Jul 27 2016, 08:47 PM

32 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Jul 27 2016, 11:37 AM)
I did my masters in Japan more than a decade ago. Besides scholarship, you also need to think about Japanese language. There are some universities that offer it in English but you will need to google for it. You can check up some universities and contact them directly. This is what I did previously....I think I send out more than 30 emails and got about 4-5 replies. Please also take note, you need to have some idea what you want to do. Software engineering is so wide and if you are talking about postgraduate, the expectation is that you already have a rough idea what you want to research on.
Thanks for sharing. Did you email the university or directly find a lecturer to do research under him/her? When was the intake during your time?

Thanks again. biggrin.gif
sacwoc
post Jul 28 2016, 09:05 AM

Casual
306 posts

QUOTE(firagax @ Jul 27 2016, 09:47 PM)
Thanks for sharing. Did you email the university or directly find a lecturer to do research under him/her? When was the intake during your time?

Thanks again.  biggrin.gif
Can't really remember, but I think I email to the lecturer directly telling him my intention. Most university homepage will introduce their faculty and also the lecturers research. Just find one that you think you like. Also now I think they are encouraging foreigners, hence they will have a International Center to help foreign students. You can also get in touch with them.

There are two intakes in Japan - April and September. Not sure if its still the same. I started planning one year in advance, emailing, getting visa, etc and at the same time doing a full time job. Once you are accepted, you will be consider a research student. You need to sit for an exam or presentation to a panel before they accept you to Masters. Each uni have their own way of doing it. So you have to enquire.

Take note that you will hear horror stories of Japanese sensei. You are expected to "slave" in the lab like a normal salary man, whatever research you did belongs to your sensei. At my time I know a few friends who have these kind of sensei. I was lucky as my sensei was really open minded even though I was his first foreign student.
TSfiragax
post Jul 28 2016, 12:20 PM

32 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Jul 28 2016, 09:05 AM)
Can't really remember, but I think I email to the lecturer directly telling him my intention. Most university homepage will introduce their faculty and also the lecturers research. Just find one that you think you like. Also now I think they are encouraging foreigners, hence they will have a International Center to help foreign students. You can also get in touch with them.

There are two intakes in Japan - April and September. Not sure if its still the same. I started planning one year in advance, emailing, getting visa, etc and at the same time doing a full time job. Once you are accepted, you will be consider a research student. You need to sit for an exam or presentation to a panel before they accept you to Masters. Each uni have their own way of doing it. So you have to enquire.

Take note that you will hear horror stories of Japanese sensei. You are expected to "slave" in the lab like a normal salary man, whatever research you did belongs to your sensei. At my time I know a few friends who have these kind of sensei. I was lucky as my sensei was really open minded even though I was his first foreign student.
Thanks for sharing your experience. There's a lot of information there. biggrin.gif
ananur
post Jul 28 2016, 02:21 PM

Getting Started
54 posts

QUOTE(firagax @ Jul 26 2016, 12:11 PM)
Hi guys!  icon_question.gif

So I just completed my bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering and I would love to continue pursuing my postgraduate studies in Japan. However, I got a few questions:

1. I'm thinking of taking something like software engineering as I would love to indulge myself on programming software/programs/games etc. but is it recommended to shift to software since I just completed electrical engineering degree?

2. The reason I chose Japan is cause of a probably shallow reason which is to learn their culture and wanted to try and live there (its been a dream for me since secondary school). However, what are the recommended universities that I should take note off for software engineering?

3. If I'm keen and decided on going, who should I look for or what steps should I take to register for it?

Sorry guys, I really need help as I'm very lost right now. There are almost zero information given by my university regarding on studying postgraduate overseas and my lecturer seems to stop responding to my enquries. I've been stuck for more than a month now with no progress so I will deeply appreciate any help on my doubts and information that I can get from the community here.

Hi. I was an intern at UTM, KL and there's a building call MJIIT (Malaysia-Japan International Institute of Technology)
They have few divisions and there's a chance to go Japan (Kyoto University) to be exact. Maybe you can try to apply for postgraduate.
quadcube
post Jul 28 2016, 06:57 PM

Regular
1,771 posts

QUOTE(firagax @ Jul 26 2016, 12:11 PM)
Hi guys!  icon_question.gif

i'm currently interning at Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (JAIST) and i'm also from E&E engineering.

if you can tahan almost 365 days research without entertainment,JAIST is the perfect place laugh.gif
for information science,there's a lot of toys to play with especially if you are interested with parallel computing or any huge ass emulation (they have 4 super computer here,one of them is right next to the lab i'm in..btw,hokuriku starbed is also right next to the uni)

for your first Q,i'm also a little inclined to the software part,but not stuff with graphic la laugh.gif i'm more interested in data stuff,scalability of the communication/infrastructure.

living here's just too peaceful and sometimes it might be depressing for some people biggrin.gif
it's a total different culture if compared back to Malaysia,and from my experience,japan>>korea wub.gif
and of course,there's japanese postgrad student who spent more than 15 years in the same lab,currently PhD 3rd year,no idea whether the sensei is crazy or he's just too nice laugh.gif
some of them split up foreign student and japanese student to different labs,some place them together

idk how the other works,but for JAIST,there's an entrance exam,and basically you have to go to classes,spend some time in a few labs in different area
and when the time comes,you would choose which lab/supervisor you want to do your research with + normal classes every other day laugh.gif

TSfiragax
post Aug 20 2016, 01:12 PM

32 posts

Sorry for the super late reply! Thanks a lot for sharing the information and also your experience, quadcube. biggrin.gif

Kinda tied up right now between work or postgraduation after asking for some advice from friends and family. But still I want to go Japan and try to live there :\
quadcube
post Aug 21 2016, 09:18 AM

Regular
1,771 posts

QUOTE(firagax @ Aug 20 2016, 01:12 PM)
Sorry for the super late reply! Thanks a lot for sharing the information and also your experience, quadcube. biggrin.gif

Kinda tied up right now between work or postgraduation after asking for some advice from friends and family. But still I want to go Japan and try to live there :\
laugh.gif it's expensive to live here though if it's in RM,but if your are earning Japanese yen,then it's damn cheap IMO for the quality

well,you can work and do postgraduate at the same time in Japan,have a few members of the lab i'm interning are working in tokyo and doing their PhD at the same time icon_idea.gif although probably that's not advisable
sacwoc
post Aug 22 2016, 11:17 AM

Casual
306 posts

QUOTE(quadcube @ Aug 21 2016, 10:18 AM)
laugh.gif it's expensive to live here though if it's in RM,but if your are earning Japanese yen,then it's damn cheap IMO for the quality

well,you can work and do postgraduate at the same time in Japan,have a few members of the lab i'm interning are working in tokyo and doing their PhD at the same time icon_idea.gif although probably that's not advisable
If you are on a student visa, you are "officially" allowed to work a certain hours (20hours I think) a week. So you have to be careful or smart about it.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0123sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:48 PM