Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> How to open tuition center?, license issue?

Jim
post Jan 17 2007, 06:09 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

Hi, I want to open a tuition centre, teaching secondary students. But i heard ppl says we have to be a teacher ourselves first or need to go through some kind of course in order to get the license. Is it true?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zzz...
post Jan 17 2007, 06:31 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

Y dun u come private teacher? Teach at ur place or travel 2 ur student's house. No need pay income tax, rent, utility bills etc. No need 2 worry about license also. As long as got recognized qualification n parents approve then no problem.

N if u teach in small groups or privately, can earn even more.
+Quote Post
HughieRmX
post Jan 17 2007, 07:21 PM

::.. ♬|♪ HaRdC0Re TrAnCE AddiCT ♬|♪..::

HmmM .. I am quite agreed with what mentioned by the previous forumer. If you are still new in this field, might as well become a private tutor 1st before developing a new tuition centre. smile.gif
At least it will work out as a stepping stone for you and your future. Just my humble opinion.

Regards,
Hughie
+Quote Post
deadalus
post Jan 17 2007, 10:56 PM

Live Life Cool

QUOTE(Jim @ Jan 17 2007, 06:09 PM)
But i heard ppl says we have to be a teacher ourselves first or need to go through some kind of course in order to get the license. Is it true?
YES, you need to be a GOVERNMENT SCHOOL teacher in order to obtain a license to open a tuition center

BUT, peoples always play around with te entity "TUITION CENTER" Indeed they name their center under some other business entity such as "Self Study center" or "IQ development center"

You ever heard of STC? This fellow already open so many tuition center and daycare center around KL. But, he dont even has the license for it - the license to open a tuition center.

So it all depends with how you going to play around with the loop holes of our Malaysian legislation system.
+Quote Post
Sandwich2U
post Jan 18 2007, 12:02 AM

Melamine Sandwich

QUOTE(deadalus @ Jan 17 2007, 10:56 PM)
YES, you need to be a GOVERNMENT SCHOOL teacher in order to obtain a license to open a tuition center

BUT, peoples always play around with te entity "TUITION CENTER" Indeed they name their center under some other business entity such as "Self Study center" or "IQ development center"

You ever heard of STC? This fellow already open so many tuition center and daycare center around KL. But, he dont even has the license for it - the license to open a tuition center.

So it all depends with how you going to play around with the loop holes of our Malaysian legislation system.
Haha.. STC, one of their boss is Chong Hwa High School ex-teacher,
Now he is in deep finacial trouble.
+Quote Post
Jim
post Jan 18 2007, 12:43 AM

On my way

-This POST is DELETED-

This post has been edited by Jim: Jan 18 2007, 12:48 AM
+Quote Post
Jim
post Jan 18 2007, 12:46 AM

On my way

QUOTE(deadalus @ Jan 17 2007, 10:56 PM)

Yeah, i heard that the one with license, their name will be "Pusat Tuisyen XXX", the one with XXX tuition centre bla bla.. it's all without any license.. donno how true it is..

but it's kinda weird y it has to be a government teacher first before running any tuition center.. isn't quite logic that a teacher should concerntrate on their school word and prohibited to open any tuition center?
+Quote Post
Jim
post Jan 18 2007, 12:47 AM

On my way

QUOTE(Zzz... @ Jan 17 2007, 06:31 PM)
Y dun u come private teacher? Teach at ur place or travel 2 ur student's house. No need pay income tax, rent, utility bills etc. No need 2 worry about license also. As long as got recognized qualification n parents approve then no problem.

N if u teach in small groups or privately, can earn even more.
Yeah, I will start by teaching at my own place first... actually don even bother about the lisence also no problem.. just my tuition don have the potential to grow big.

Actually if take 40 students, 3 classes, then it's enough for my living already. imagine.. 120 student, one student 100, it's 12,000 per month...
+Quote Post
waynelyp90
post Jan 18 2007, 08:21 PM

Nonsense Hater

Here is a requirement to open a tuition center in Malaysia. You need to have a corner lot business premis first, if not your tuition license will not be approved. Noticed that guys? Tuition centre usually are corner lots.
+Quote Post
Sandwich2U
post Jan 18 2007, 08:26 PM

Melamine Sandwich

QUOTE(waynelyp90 @ Jan 18 2007, 08:21 PM)
Here is a requirement to open a tuition center in Malaysia. You need to have a corner lot business premis first, if not your tuition license will not be approved. Noticed that guys? Tuition centre usually are corner lots.
Why must be corner lots ? sweat.gif
+Quote Post
deadalus
post Jan 18 2007, 09:08 PM

Live Life Cool

for a start, dont even bother with the license first. most of the tuition center out there are mostly running without license.

if you get busted, just cabut and open another tuition elsewhere.

If you plan to operate a tuition center in your house, then license is not an issue at all. Few friend of mine teaching tuition class in their house already doing it for few years. As long as you are low profile (dont hang banner), police normally wont kacau you.
+Quote Post
Jim
post Jan 19 2007, 10:14 AM

On my way

no banners ah.. then where comes the student? how to do advertisement ah? can we advertise in newspaper?

or go to school to put notice?
+Quote Post
spanker
post Jan 20 2007, 10:11 AM

Custom Made e-Penis

This is completely untrue.
+Quote Post
deadalus
post Jan 20 2007, 10:28 AM

Live Life Cool

QUOTE(Jim @ Jan 19 2007, 10:14 AM)
no banners ah.. then where comes the student? how to do advertisement ah? can we advertise in newspaper?

1) you can try advertise in newspaper, RM 25+ for Star, RM 40+- for Chinapress

2) you can still hang banner, but definately not infront of your tuition center. indeed hang the banner in other area with high traffic such as opposite school or traffic light. (but if you hang opposite school, there is high chances your banner will gone within a week)

3) make some flyers. distribute to the parents after school hours infront of entrance of the school.

4) you can also give a stack of flyers to some newspaper distributor, pay him Rm5~Rm10 to insert your flyers to the newspaper.
+Quote Post
tuo850
post Jan 20 2007, 12:49 PM

Casual

Tuition center need specific license?? Can we just obtain the normal biz/enterprise license from the ROB to open a tuition center and just stated in our biz registration that we provide tuition?
i though u need special license only if u want to open private school?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jim
post Jan 20 2007, 07:57 PM

On my way

QUOTE(tuo850 @ Jan 20 2007, 12:49 PM)
Tuition center need specific license?? Can we just obtain the normal biz/enterprise license from the ROB to open a tuition center and just stated in our biz registration that we provide tuition?
i though u need special license only if u want to open private school?
Need license one. But anyway, i also heard ppl say only. Anyone here know the definite answer ah?

But anyway i think starting of the "business", I don bother about the lisence first lah, just get a few students first.
+Quote Post
sasaug
post Jan 20 2007, 08:12 PM

Small Fud

Private first lah......go put notice at school..then cari cikgu ....then cari lebih student...at last open ur tuition center....
+Quote Post
athlon 11
post Jan 20 2007, 09:40 PM

Getting Started

there is a lot people interested to open tuition centre because they saw those branded centre enjoy steady profit while the owner need not work long hour to manage it.

however,as a tuition teacher myself for some years,i also see many centre pk smile.gif or struggle for survive ,many people ended up lost their valuable saving money.

their some facts people need to bear in mind.tuition centre require a very long time for return on investment,even if you centre have average performance,it will still take time near 2 years or ++.

another factor is unlike most business which can operate whole years long,tuition centre only can full operate from Jan to october,do you have the enough money to pay the overhead cost in school holidays?

hope my little observing can help those who interested to start tuition centre business people better prepare their plan.

Good lucks!
+Quote Post
pgsingerboy
post Jan 20 2007, 10:12 PM

Casual

first you need a diploma(any diploma) to begin with b4 opening a licensed tuition centre. Thats all i know
+Quote Post
snowflower
post Jan 20 2007, 10:40 PM

Getting Started

How to introduce your tuition centre to more people

1. advertise at newspaper, 7-11, lowyat, forum to get more students.
2. advertise at school
3. through broucher, eg door to door, bus-stand etc

all the best. icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
deadalus
post Jan 21 2007, 08:58 PM

Live Life Cool

QUOTE(athlon 11 @ Jan 20 2007, 09:40 PM)
another factor is unlike most business which can operate whole years long,tuition centre only can full operate from Jan to october,do you have the enough money to pay the overhead cost in school holidays?
this is very true indeed, many tuition center teacher become "Pegawai mengukur tanah" during the 3 months school break. mayb come out with some holiday special package will helps to minimise losses during these slow months

+Quote Post
Jim
post Jan 21 2007, 10:27 PM

On my way

QUOTE(deadalus @ Jan 21 2007, 08:58 PM)
this is very true indeed, many tuition center teacher become "Pegawai mengukur tanah" during the 3 months school break. mayb come out with some holiday special package will helps to minimise losses during these slow months
Actually if tuition for form 4 and form 5, don need to bother about the school holidays. Students get ready for SPM, so even if it's school holidays, the tuition keeps going.. just that we need to scratch the head after the SPM exams.. one batch of student gone........
+Quote Post
deadalus
post Jan 21 2007, 10:42 PM

Live Life Cool

but most Form 4 & Form 5 student prefer to go for a more reputable tuition center indeed due to the so called "TIPS" on SPM. I quest new tuition center will be difficult to recruit Form4 Form5 student unless you have contact in Ministry of Education (For the SPM Exam question)
+Quote Post
dixonlee
post Jan 24 2008, 12:24 PM

Group: New Member

QUOTE(Jim @ Jan 17 2007, 06:09 PM)
Hi, I want to open a tuition centre, teaching secondary students. But i heard ppl says we have to be a teacher ourselves first or need to go through some kind of course in order to get the license. Is it true?
You may go to http://www.brightkids.com.my/index.php?m=m...c=shw_franchise they have offer Licensing Program. My friend oso take a franchise from them. They provide a lot of material and services. As I know that they oledi help a lot of people success in this field. You may go to http://www.brightkids.com.my/index.php?m=m...=shw_contact_us to see their franchisee.... Hope my info can help you...
+Quote Post
reflection_C
post Jan 24 2008, 01:12 PM

Casual

QUOTE(dixonlee @ Jan 24 2008, 12:24 PM)
You may go to http://www.brightkids.com.my/index.php?m=m...c=shw_franchise they have offer Licensing Program. My friend oso take a franchise from them. They provide a lot of material and services. As I know that they oledi help a lot of people success in this field. You may go to http://www.brightkids.com.my/index.php?m=m...=shw_contact_us to see their franchisee.... Hope my info can help you...
This seems safer and lower risk business investment. Estimation RM10k profit per month. That's pretty good for new starter.
+Quote Post
AndyLow
post Oct 24 2008, 01:11 AM

QUOTE(Jim @ Jan 17 2007, 07:09 PM)
First of all , you do no need to attend any course in order to obtain a tuition centre license. However, if you are planning to open up a day care centre or taska, the officers will encourage you to take certain courses.

Secondly, it's not necessary to have a current school teacher in your centre.

Thirdly, the qualification of the owner should be diploma and above. It's not a compulsory requirement for the owner to have teaching experience. The teaching experience requirement is imposed upon the headmaster/ principal.

It's always good to seek professional advice before starting a tuition centre or kindergarten. There are some other requirements which is not covered here. You can consider to seek advice from Home Tuition Care. The website is http://www.hometuitioncare.com/tuitioncentrelicense.asp
+Quote Post
eyaz143
post Nov 14 2008, 04:45 PM

Are you sure about that? I've attended a few tuition centres myself & saw hundreds of other tuition centres that is not a corner lot.
+Quote Post
YuNGSeNG
post Nov 15 2008, 12:32 PM

Regular

As I know , Kindergarden MUST open in corner lot but tuition centre I don't think so.
+Quote Post
jaymenon
post Nov 25 2008, 10:38 PM

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and i found your very interesting page. Glad to meet you people. Well, I was looking for info to open a tuition centre next year and it was a few month planning. I have started planning about opening a tuition centre from april itself, but i dun have the right team. And a week before i had a meeting with some engineers who are fren of mine and we came up with an idea to open it next year. for a start we goin to take some info from JABATAN PENDIDIKAN and MAJLIS PERBANDARAN. all this we gonna do before start to do any ground work.

well, i was passing by and iv gt sum info 4m you guys.....

will catch up soon. gt to go.

tq.
+Quote Post
lcl832002
post Mar 19 2009, 10:35 PM

On my way

A very informative thread...
+Quote Post
MilesAndMore
post Mar 19 2009, 11:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Group: Moderator

QUOTE(Zzz... @ Jan 17 2007, 06:31 PM)
Actually you do need to pay tax even if you are teaching as a private teacher at home. Just that 99% of them are not reporting it to the LHDN.

QUOTE(Jim @ Jan 19 2007, 10:14 AM)

Usually those who work as teachers will promote themselves via other teachers (their colleagues). Or just thru newspaper advertising.

+Quote Post
zenwell
post Mar 20 2009, 02:37 PM

Regular

yeah i would also like to know exactly how to apply for a licence to open tuition centre? Izzit me have to go to jabatan pendidikan to apply? I heard ppl say that must be minimum degree holder. But some forumer say must be a gov school teacher only can apply?

Can we apply without a degree?
+Quote Post
Cloudbuster
post Jun 4 2009, 08:22 PM

If you are planning to open a tuition centre, never ever do it without having a license.
This is speaking from experience of a friend who opened one without license and got busted within 10 months. He got fined RM25,000 for the offence and was blacklisted from ever getting a genuine tuition centre license!

Worst of all, he had joined one of those so-called fanchise daycare cum tuition centers as a franchisee. The franchisor initially promised alot of critical things like licensing and proper support but in the end nothing satisfactory was delivered.
My friend had to pay a 5 figure sum as joining fee to the so-called "francise" HQ.

Just get a license for your peace of mind. thumbup.gif

And, contrary to popular belief, the cost to start and run a tuition centre successfully is not as low as most people think. According to my friend, there were alot of recurring costs to maintain the centre. Parents and students nowadays are generally not like in the past. They are more demanding now with higher expectations of safety, cleanliness, comfort, price, added-value services, and so forth. So, the operational hidden costs are definitely there.

In the 10 months that my friend's tuition business stayed open, he had lost roughly RM60,000 (not inclusive of the RM25,000 compound from the authorities). rclxub.gif

There are alot of successful tuition businesses out there, but then again for every successful one there are probably a few unsuccessful ones. Maybe its better to invest our hard-earned money in something more secure during these trying times.

+Quote Post
vincentlee
post Jun 5 2009, 01:34 PM

★★★7Star★General★★★

QUOTE(Cloudbuster @ Jun 4 2009, 08:22 PM)
If you are planning to open a tuition centre, never ever do it without having a license.
This is speaking from experience of a friend who opened one without license and got busted within 10 months. He got fined RM25,000 for the offence and was blacklisted from ever getting a genuine tuition centre license!

Worst of all, he had joined one of those so-called fanchise daycare cum tuition centers as a franchisee. The franchisor initially promised alot of critical things like licensing and proper support but in the end nothing satisfactory was delivered.
My friend had to pay a 5 figure sum as joining fee to the so-called "francise" HQ.

Just get a license for your peace of mind.  thumbup.gif

And, contrary to popular belief, the cost to start and run a tuition centre successfully is not as low as most people think. According to my friend, there were alot of recurring costs to maintain the centre. Parents and students nowadays are generally not like in the past. They are more demanding now with higher expectations of safety, cleanliness, comfort, price, added-value services, and so forth. So, the operational hidden costs are definitely there.

In the 10 months that my friend's tuition business stayed open, he had lost roughly RM60,000 (not inclusive of the RM25,000 compound from the authorities). rclxub.gif

There are alot of successful tuition businesses out there, but then again for every successful one there are probably a few unsuccessful ones. Maybe its better to invest our hard-earned money in something more secure during these trying times.
parents will always care about their kids education, exam results..etc

unless the majority of the middle class lost their jobs, i say tuition centre could be a good option even during these trying times.
+Quote Post
sunny2009
post Jun 13 2009, 09:28 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(athlon 11 @ Jan 20 2007, 09:40 PM)
there is a lot people interested to open tuition centre because they saw those branded centre enjoy steady profit while the owner need not work long hour to manage it.

however,as a tuition teacher myself for some years,i also see many centre pk smile.gif or struggle  for survive ,many people ended up lost their valuable saving money.

their some facts people need to bear in mind.tuition centre require a very long time for return on investment,even if you centre have average performance,it will still take time near 2 years or ++.

hope my little observing can help those who interested to start tuition centre business people better prepare their plan.

Good lucks!
Could this be a lie to avoid ppl from opening tuition centre to make the business more competitive? Not sure...smile.gif no offence.. just a comment..
+Quote Post
lcl832002
post Jun 14 2009, 06:47 PM

On my way

QUOTE(Cloudbuster @ Jun 4 2009, 09:22 PM)
Wau, RM 25,000!

Was your friend using his house as his tuition centre???
+Quote Post
Yaw Kean Huat
post Dec 4 2009, 06:27 PM

to open a tuition center wold probably be one of the lowest cost for any form of investment..

Capital RM 20K Minimum
Need a HeadMaster, 3 teachers, lembaga pengelola, setiausaha and kerani.

As for the business....
First year would be the slowest year of your life. The students will be approximately 2-3 per class. There are cases where we encounter 0 students per class.

On top of that... you would probably loose out your investment for the first year.

Education is all about passion. If you are keen to teach i believe God will give you a chance to prove yourself. However, if you are looking at $$ i am so sorry to tell you that this is not a field for you.

As a teacher, i am willing to teach if the class has only 1 student. My cost is high but with passion...i go on. I just try my best but at the end of the day it all boils down to your passion and your technique.

I hope that helps. It takes time to reap profits. takes time.
+Quote Post
ah_suknat
post Aug 20 2010, 03:54 PM

whoooooooooooooop

THREAD REACTIVATE!!!! because I am going to start one in this october...

few questions....

when you guys said license...what license did you guys mean? the trading license or proper license that is seperately/specially required to open a tuition center?

I already registered a trading license and got it signed by the district officer and majlis perbandaran (tiada halangan) it says, premise's name is PUSAT BAHASA xxxxx(malay words) with the business being pusat tuisyen.

I am an advance Diploma holder...I will be conducting the language class for adults and I will hired tutor to conduct tuition for school children...

+Quote Post
crazyong.kyn
post Dec 19 2011, 10:16 PM

After 2 years of experience on conducting tuition class at home, I wish to open tuition centre at penang island. Anyone know what is the first step should I do? Getting license right? How to apply? Need how long time? Any application fee required? Thanks a lot
+Quote Post
kent_lau7
post Jan 12 2012, 09:48 AM

Casual

Call the menteri:

KEMENTERIAN PELAJARAN MALAYSIA
Blok E8, Kompleks E,
Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan,
62604, PUTRAJAYA, MALAYSIA

Tel: 603-8884 6000 / 603-7723 7070

and look for Bahagian Pendidikan Swasta

Added on January 12, 2012, 1:37 pmWent to the bahagian - Pendidikan Swasta...and got the following information:
To apply tuition center - go to the state Pejabat pendidikan

You also need to have >RM10,000 modal
30% equity is bumi
need a company registered under SSM

This post has been edited by kent_lau7: Jan 12 2012, 01:37 PM
+Quote Post
srk123
post Jan 16 2012, 06:53 PM

RM 38K (negotiable). Location: Selayang Point, Business ongoing. Chinese operator. Reason for leasing: Pursue Master Study at United Kingdom, do not have time to continue operating.

Item List A
Takeover Rented Premises with
1) 1400sqf
2)2 classrooms (total sitting capacity for 60 students per class),
4)3 units of a/conds (3X1.0HP),
5) 1 unit high speed digital printer
6) lobby tables, chair
7) 4 power supplies
8) Lightings& Ceiling Fans (ceiling mount fluorescence with reflectors)
9) Front and back stair case for fire escape.
10) 20 units chairs, fully carpeted, gypsum board wall
Licensing and Databases
1) Registration license from Jabatan Pendidikan Selangor
2) License from the local authority (MPAJ)
3) Business Registration (ROB)
4) Student and databases, teaching aids

For further enquiries or appointment to visit please
email: sunrisekids123@hotmail.com
or call 011-12999784/ 017-2233720/ 012- 9243289

+Quote Post
liewsky
post Feb 28 2012, 04:21 PM

I'm looking for agent,runner or intermediate person who can help in Pusat tuisyen application. any contact can share, what are the fee like?

+Quote Post
jaytea
post Mar 3 2012, 08:45 PM

would a math enrichment program require permit from moe?
enopi has moe permit. do you think kumon and math monkey has?
tx
+Quote Post
Nicholasontheway
post Jan 15 2013, 05:23 PM

On my way

Guys, need help like immediately!

I need to apply license for a shop-based tuition centre but how do I get it through the internet?

Which website? Please give me the link if possible...

Thks smile.gif
+Quote Post
JobSeekerMY
post Jul 22 2013, 04:24 PM

QUOTE(srk123 @ Jan 16 2012, 06:53 PM)
RM 38K (negotiable). Location: Selayang Point, Business ongoing.  Chinese operator.  Reason for leasing: Pursue Master Study at United Kingdom, do not have time to continue operating.
Item List A
Takeover Rented Premises with
1) 1400sqf
2)2 classrooms (total sitting capacity for 60 students per class),
4)3 units of a/conds (3X1.0HP),
5) 1 unit high speed digital printer
6) lobby tables, chair
7) 4 power supplies
8) Lightings& Ceiling Fans (ceiling mount fluorescence with reflectors)
9) Front and back stair case for fire escape.
10) 20 units chairs, fully carpeted, gypsum board wall
Licensing and Databases
1) Registration license from Jabatan Pendidikan Selangor
2) License from the local authority (MPAJ)
3) Business Registration (ROB)
4) Student and databases, teaching aids

For further enquiries or appointment to visit please
email: sunrisekids123@hotmail.com
or call 011-12999784/ 017-2233720/ 012- 9243289
+Quote Post
Stephy87
post Mar 25 2014, 05:34 PM

QUOTE(ah_suknat @ Aug 20 2010, 03:54 PM)
THREAD REACTIVATE!!!! because I am going to start one in this october...

few questions....

when you guys said license...what license did you guys mean? the trading license or proper license that is seperately/specially required to open a tuition center?

I already registered a trading license and got it signed by the district officer and majlis perbandaran (tiada halangan) it says, premise's name is PUSAT BAHASA xxxxx(malay words) with the business being pusat tuisyen.

I am an advance Diploma holder...I will be conducting the language class for adults and I will hired tutor to conduct tuition for school children...
Hi, mind to share ur experience?

I would like to open a tuition center end of this year, but i would like to know more.
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0906sec    1.74    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 10:36 PM