Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Economics UM fast track PhD programme, Enquiries

views

TSsissykuek
post Jul 1 2016, 09:04 PM, updated 8y ago

43 posts

Hi all, I am a final year economics student from MMU.

Just wondering is anyone here pursuing his/her PhD under UM fast track PhD programme? I have high interest in this programme and would like to know more details smile.gif

Thanks and cheers!
ru40342
post Jul 2 2016, 09:35 PM

Getting Started
271 posts

QUOTE(sissykuek @ Jul 1 2016, 09:04 PM)
Hi all, I am a final year economics student from MMU.

Just wondering is anyone here pursuing his/her PhD under UM fast track PhD programme? I have high interest in this programme and would like to know more details smile.gif

Thanks and cheers!
I would advice against such programme for few reasons:

1) UM requires 2 ISI publications for graduation (please verify this as I am not sure). ISI publication in economics is difficult and could take years.

2) If you are final year bachalor student from MMU, Unless you are very good in abstract logic, it would be very hard for you to cope with phd study without masters degree.

3) Phd Thesis could be a challenge to you, especially if you have not write a thesis before, or have trouble understanding economic articles.

Most phd students at UM go for applied statistics as it is the easier for thesis writing. If possible, select your major and develop your topic asap and try to read as many articles on such topic as possible. Go through phd thesis from previous (last 5 years) phd students from UM might be helpful for you to see the level of phd study at UM.

Still, if you like economics and keen in getting a doctorate degree without masters, then give it a go then. However, it will be daunting task for you and prepare to spend at least 4 years there.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0137sec    0.47    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:38 PM