Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Business Analyst, IT come share your stories, Career opportunities, salary range, etc.

views

vanpersie91
post Jul 4 2016, 10:11 PM

Regular-ly posting shits and stuffs
1,478 posts

QUOTE(jeffro @ Jul 4 2016, 04:20 PM)
yea to be honest it's not an easy job, but once you get the hang of it, it's a habitual thing..
it's like riding a chopper bike for the first time, and riding it again after the 100th time..  biggrin.gif
And during video meeting between him and my team, sometimes when he changing the screen we can see quite a lot of meetings the BA got to attend.

Which for me it is quite tedious and leceh also sweat.gif
TSjeffro
post Jul 4 2016, 11:58 PM

Getting Started
62 posts

QUOTE(vanpersie91 @ Jul 4 2016, 10:11 PM)
And during video meeting between him and my team, sometimes when he changing the screen we can see quite a lot of meetings the BA got to attend.

Which for me it is quite tedious and leceh also sweat.gif
oh yeah that too.. we as BA, as we earn experience, we're able to drive and meetings - that's there fun things can happen too! smile.gif
That per say, is if you enjoy being part of business discussion to grow businesses, creating and designing solutions to fit corporate needs..
It's pretty exciting when you see your own solutions being part of an award-winning solution for the corporate biggrin.gif
someone_stupid
post Jul 7 2016, 12:02 PM

Regular
1,205 posts

i've been a ba for 2 companies across different clients, industries and project but now all of a sudden i feel like... i don't know what i else i can do.. i'm trying to relocate again but seems like not many places requires a 'Business Analyst' that doesn't have hardcore technical skills.. lost
sukhoi35mk
post Jul 7 2016, 07:46 PM

Casual
420 posts

i was once a BA.... with CBAP certified.... Kepner tregoe certified.... ScrumMaster certified.... completed all BA courses offered by NUS-ISS....all paid by my prev company.... So, if you work for consultation firms then all these certifications boleh pakai.... other than that.... not many ppl know what is CBAP or BA... career path is limited...so, eventually u willl go for PMP... alot of companies have their very own Project Delivery Framework so the BA must re-learn again....

from my experience... if u have a bad PM and a good BA then the project still have hope... if you have a good PM and a bad BA...the project almost can go to longkang.. biggrin.gif
TSjeffro
post Jul 7 2016, 11:45 PM

Getting Started
62 posts

QUOTE(someone_stupid @ Jul 7 2016, 12:02 PM)
i've been a ba for 2 companies across different clients, industries and project but now all of a sudden i feel like... i don't know what i else i can do.. i'm trying to relocate again but seems like not many places requires a 'Business Analyst' that doesn't have hardcore technical skills.. lost
well i believe as a BA, there is no need for hardcore technical skills, as we're the front-liner in this field..
We just need to know enough to be able to understand and translate requirements into solutions smile.gif

If I may ask, where about are you trying to relocate to?

QUOTE(sukhoi35mk @ Jul 7 2016, 07:46 PM)
i was once a BA.... with CBAP certified.... Kepner tregoe certified.... ScrumMaster certified.... completed all BA courses offered by NUS-ISS....all paid by my prev company.... So, if you work for consultation firms then all these certifications boleh pakai.... other than that.... not many ppl know what is CBAP or BA...  career path is limited...so, eventually u willl go for PMP...  alot of companies have their very own Project Delivery Framework so the BA must re-learn again....

from my experience... if u have a bad PM and a good BA then the project still have hope... if you have a good PM and a bad BA...the project almost can go to longkang..  biggrin.gif
Wow that is some good input, and you've certainly got a number of certificates there! I've only heard of CBAP and ScrumMaster in the recent years, as I took up more interest in the BA field.. but can CBAP be taken locally?
sukhoi35mk
post Jul 8 2016, 12:36 AM

Casual
420 posts

for Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) by International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA), u need 7500 hours hand-on BA experience and u can take the exam locally... bear in mind that IIBA has a very strict set of rules on what is "BA works" e.g. preparing for testing, test plan, testing, document testing, etc are not consider as BA works... u need to get a PMP certified PM, line manager or CBAP to confirm your 7500 BA hours b4 u can take the exam..

unless u wanna working with companies like Accenture, IBM as IT CONsultant then you can just take the course without taking the certification.... once a Head of IT dept of a local leading bank asked me... "Apa tu CBAP?".. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by sukhoi35mk: Jul 8 2016, 12:41 AM
otakotak
post Jul 8 2016, 03:38 AM

Getting Started
278 posts

how good must BA be in technical perspective?
TSjeffro
post Jul 8 2016, 10:04 AM

Getting Started
62 posts

QUOTE(sukhoi35mk @ Jul 8 2016, 12:36 AM)
for Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) by International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA), u need 7500 hours hand-on BA experience and u can take the exam locally... bear in mind that IIBA has a very strict set of rules on what is "BA works" e.g.  preparing for testing, test plan, testing, document testing, etc  are not consider as BA works...  u need to get a PMP certified PM, line manager or CBAP to confirm your 7500 BA hours b4 u can take the exam..

unless u wanna working with companies like Accenture, IBM as IT CONsultant then you can just take the course without taking the certification.... once a Head of IT dept of a local leading bank asked me... "Apa tu CBAP?"..  tongue.gif
Really, those listed aren't part of BA works ? rclxub.gif Then, requirement gathering, document creation, facilitating end to end delivery, these are considered BA works, right? 7500 hours, i'm not sure how to measure it, but i think over the course of 5 years, I would have achieved it?

lols on the question.. but i know not many people are aware on how big BA diversity is in.. in US there's a whole department of BAs, BA Manager, and there's a BA program.. all of which are not found locally hmm.gif

QUOTE(otakotak @ Jul 8 2016, 03:38 AM)
how good must BA be in technical perspective?
IMO, all you need is have enough knowledge to know what you're going to propose to clients, and enough to know how to derive the information provided by your tech team.. You don't need to know how to code the system from scratch, but it's nice to know if you can understand some codes (simple ones, SQL, HTML, Js, etc), as you may need to deal with customers who are familiar with those..
someone_stupid
post Jul 8 2016, 10:52 AM

Regular
1,205 posts

QUOTE(jeffro @ Jul 7 2016, 11:45 PM)
well i believe as a BA, there is no need for hardcore technical skills, as we're the front-liner in this field..
We just need to know enough to be able to understand and translate requirements into solutions smile.gif

If I may ask, where about are you trying to relocate to?
Wow that is some good input, and you've certainly got a number of certificates there! I've only heard of CBAP and ScrumMaster in the recent years, as I took up more interest in the BA field.. but can CBAP be taken locally?
wanna try to head to mena region whistling.gif
TSjeffro
post Jul 8 2016, 11:37 AM

Getting Started
62 posts

QUOTE(someone_stupid @ Jul 8 2016, 10:52 AM)
wanna try to head to mena region whistling.gif
hmm.gif where that region is a bit tough i think.. APAC not good enough? haha
sukhoi35mk
post Jul 8 2016, 12:06 PM

Casual
420 posts

IIBA defined BA skills into 6 categories namely Planning & Monitoring, Elicitation, Req gathering & Comm, Enterprise Analysis, Req Analysis and Solution Assessment & Validation...each categories has min hours to meet.... add all hours spent in these 6 categories must be >= 7,500 hours.... so, if u have 7,500 hours in Req gathering alone u r not entitle to sit for exam..... the hardest part is Enterprise Analysis, you must pro active to study the business model/problem/opportunity to find way of improvements... usually before project team is form.... bear in mind that documentation such as document this and that is not BA skills.... end to end delivery such as sign off, migration planning & execution, deliver training, QA, SLA, etc is not BA work too

if Business or customer comes to you for solution/work then it's customer already done the Enterprise analysis not you.... tongue.gif

they will give a detailed spreadsheet to fill your past BA works/hours.... then verified by a certified PM....
paganizonda
post Jul 8 2016, 12:36 PM

11 posts

Hey guys im planning to choose my majors in my business degree and may i know what is the difference between (business analytics) and (econometrics and business statistics)? Thanks! smile.gif
TSjeffro
post Jul 8 2016, 12:38 PM

Getting Started
62 posts

QUOTE(sukhoi35mk @ Jul 8 2016, 12:06 PM)
IIBA defined BA skills into 6 categories namely Planning & Monitoring, Elicitation, Req gathering & Comm, Enterprise Analysis, Req Analysis and Solution Assessment & Validation...each categories has min hours to meet.... add all hours spent in these 6 categories must be >= 7,500 hours.... so, if u have 7,500 hours in Req gathering alone u r not entitle to sit for exam..... the hardest part is Enterprise Analysis, you must pro active to study the business model/problem/opportunity to find way of improvements... usually before project team is form.... bear in mind that documentation such as document this and that is not BA skills.... end to end delivery such as sign off, migration planning & execution, deliver training, QA, SLA, etc is not BA work too

if Business or customer comes to you for solution/work then it's customer already done the Enterprise analysis not you....  tongue.gif

they will give a detailed spreadsheet to fill your past BA works/hours.... then verified by a certified PM....
shocking.gif OMG, then what i've been doing is Post-BA work!! Dang... now i butthurt! cry.gif
Thank you for the enlightenment! notworthy.gif
TSjeffro
post Jul 8 2016, 01:09 PM

Getting Started
62 posts

QUOTE(paganizonda @ Jul 8 2016, 12:36 PM)
Hey guys im planning to choose my majors in my business degree and may i know what is the difference between (business analytics) and (econometrics and business statistics)? Thanks!  smile.gif
perhaps this might help you:
http://futureofcio.blogspot.my/2015/01/ana...statistics.html
someone_stupid
post Jul 8 2016, 02:34 PM

Regular
1,205 posts

QUOTE(jeffro @ Jul 8 2016, 11:37 AM)
hmm.gif where that region is a bit tough i think.. APAC not good enough? haha
dream big rite rclxms.gif
TSjeffro
post Jul 8 2016, 02:46 PM

Getting Started
62 posts

QUOTE(someone_stupid @ Jul 8 2016, 02:34 PM)
dream big rite rclxms.gif
lol but mena region... APAC is big enough ? From my understanding expansion of digital channels in APAC is just starting only.. many areas to explore though.. i can see many regional hubs still coming to HK and SG, and some in Msia..
alien3d
post Jul 8 2016, 03:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(jeffro @ Jul 8 2016, 10:04 AM)
You don't need to know how to code the system from scratch, but it's nice to know if you can understand some codes (simple ones, SQL, HTML, Js, etc), as you may need to deal with customers who are familiar with those..
Quite wrong . a business analyst more on consultation on how system works. If the person couldn't debug a simple issue and blaim developer for wrong formula quite bad. I see system build badly because of it.
someone_stupid
post Jul 8 2016, 03:21 PM

Regular
1,205 posts

QUOTE(jeffro @ Jul 8 2016, 02:46 PM)
lol but mena region... APAC is big enough ? From my understanding expansion of digital channels in APAC is just starting only.. many areas to explore though.. i can see many regional hubs still coming to HK and SG, and some in Msia..
there are some big opportunities everywhere but.. quite personal reason why i wanan go there just that i hope i can be of relevance there as well just that been feeling very stunted like what can i do that others can't?
alien3d
post Jul 8 2016, 03:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(sukhoi35mk @ Jul 8 2016, 12:06 PM)

if Business or customer comes to you for solution/work then it's customer already done the Enterprise analysis not you....  tongue.gif

but the most problem on analysis was is the cost.
We paid for manager / owner but in mean time lower staff do think diff which some call project owner(lower staff ranking) will argue with the owner and and more lower staff the right way and pro long the development.
But if you persist like that it more on System Analyst. System Analyst don't do pm work like meeting, migration planing and lala. A system analyst not experince wouldn't crumble development itself. knowledge is the most key between system analyst and consultant. If 0.. i see you you see me la.
paganizonda
post Jul 8 2016, 03:54 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(jeffro @ Jul 8 2016, 01:09 PM)
Thanks biggrin.gif

8 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0243sec    0.29    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:54 PM