4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Lost in my career path, Sigh

views

TSgundamsp01
post Jun 30 2016, 08:15 PM

gunpla procrastinator
864 posts

Thank you everyone for your comment and input.

No, I am no longer in IT from the technical point of view.Yes, i do know that IT is has lots of opportunities in the market.
Sadly, it is not a life i want, the stress, and the frustration. Ppl dont treat u like a human, they treat u like a tool and expect u to come out with everything with a flick of a button.
And I was tired with the "fire fighting" of the system in the middle of the night.

Enough of that, I am in project management now. Though, most of the time, I am doing admin job, and with the situation of the department now. I foresee it will be closed down and i will be transfer to some other department
And I do not learn much other than critical thinking on how to solve problem and provide suggestion to my project manager.
I am not specialize in anything at the current situation.

I want to change my career (again), I want to be more focus in a few aspects of an industry and I am fond with strategy/marketing planning and business improvement, this is something i found out during a portion of my project handling within these 2 years.
Sadly, keep seeking, yet there is no such role for me (either senior position is open, or i do not have the qualification).

I am not into sales, because i am a quiet person, and prefer to think of a design and strategy.

From what i said above, I seem fine...just that, do i want to continue like this? Just assist in scheduling meeting and minutes writing etc kind of admin job? I seriously do not want, I do not want my life to end like this.
As reaching 30...the time for trial and error is really minimal, and my father has retire from his job...whole family depends on me soon after his EPF has finished. I keep applying for job...yet none call me...

If you ask me what am I good at while the others can't, sadly, what I am doing now is very general, but the thing is, I managed to change myself to management line with the introduction and chance given by other,
and learn about excel and word better than those studied in finance. So, the employer who gave me the comment that "i do not know anything other than IT" is totally invalid.
Sadly, job is hard to find now...apply for job is easy, but to get a chance to interview is hard...just the feeling of lost and frustration.

What am i seeking now? I seriously do not know, i can keep trying to apply and hope for the best...but as i am getting older...I do not want everyone dear to me to leave me just because i stay where i am now and no opportunity for me to prove myself...
I just unable to see my value in my career life or life as a whole...feel very frustrated at how i am now...not sure what next step to take...freaking want to punch myself...
Xccess
post Jun 30 2016, 10:25 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,694 posts

Used to work for a company for 5 years, no MC, hardly late for work. One day a regular customer of mine asked these 2 questions:

1) what I do before going to bed. Do I think about work and strategically plan my day schedule in my head?

2) Go to bed with an empty mind and drag myself to work the next day?

Told him mine was (2). He looked at me and said, you are a hardworking chap but when you lose interest in what you're doing, you'll be stagnant even if you stay here for next couple of years, it's time to move on. Upon hearing that, I tender my resignation a week later in December, left without taking my bonus. Never look back since.

This post has been edited by Xccess: Jul 1 2016, 12:02 PM
TSgundamsp01
post Jun 30 2016, 10:28 PM

gunpla procrastinator
864 posts

QUOTE(Xccess @ Jun 30 2016, 10:25 PM)
Used to work for a company for 5 years, no MC, hardly late for work. One day a customer of mine asked these 2 questions:

1) what I do before going to bed. Do I plan my work schedule?

2) Go to bed with an empty mind but drag myself to work the next day.

Told him mine was the second. He looked at me and said, you are a hardworking fella but when you lose interest in what you do, you'll be stagnant even if you stay here for next couple of years, it's time to move on. Upon hearing that, I tender my resignation during year end without taking my bonus. Never look back ever since.
exactly 2. And abit of 1 on planning on how to solve issues.
Did you manage to secure a job before u tendered?
Xccess
post Jun 30 2016, 10:38 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,694 posts

QUOTE(gundamsp01 @ Jun 30 2016, 10:28 PM)
exactly 2. And abit of 1 on planning on how to solve issues.
Did you manage to secure a job before u tendered?
Nope.....took 2 months rest, year end with all the festive holidays. After that I secured a sales job, travelled to quite a few countries, seen lotsa stuff and I'm happy.

It's not to late for you, everyone have choices in life. Do what makes you happy.

This post has been edited by Xccess: Jun 30 2016, 10:45 PM
kurangak
post Jul 1 2016, 12:15 AM

certified /k addict
1,154 posts

my cousin, also in IT. after several years jumping ship, he almost had a mental breakdown. quit IT, enrolled in plantation management training center, now become assistant manager somewhere in sabah. in 2-3 years gonna become manager. happy, no worries, enjoying his life. n he done it at the age of 35, with wife n 2 kids.

its never too late to reset your life. its just a matter of will.

This post has been edited by kurangak: Jul 1 2016, 12:16 AM
Xccess
post Jul 1 2016, 01:30 AM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,694 posts

Yes, it's never too late. You'll need proper planning and be ready to take that big step, get out of your comfort zone. Embrace the new beginning.
Penang_J
post Jul 1 2016, 01:39 AM

Getting Started
275 posts

I facing about the same situation with you. But for my case, my life is boring. Sleep from secondary school until college. Study accounting but doing adjusting job. I even more stressed than you due to many files handling + many problems everyday... Lowyat is the only forum i can write .... You are not alone bro.!
garywind
post Jul 1 2016, 02:41 AM

Getting Started
114 posts

Your life is not only a job and money
My story is from charted secretary to farmer...
I don't think cos of job you in depression
Bro, life is go on...
thesoothsayer
post Jul 1 2016, 07:04 AM

Enthusiast
926 posts

Share my friend's story.

We joined master's program at the same time. I finished, worked 2 years, went for my PhD, and all the while she couldn't complete her master's research and was struggling in the uni.

Felt sorry for her, but fast forward to the present and she's the VP of an MNC working on something unrelated to her degree and the master's work she couldn't complete.

Hope you have the chance to come across something you like and the courage to go for it when you find it.
TSgundamsp01
post Jul 1 2016, 08:06 AM

gunpla procrastinator
864 posts

Reading through all the experience by u all.

It seems so easy for ppl to actually change the career path and industry all together.

I wonder why i just keep getting rejections without even an interview. Could be due to my resume too general? Or the jobs i asked for (strategic planning and management) require a specific set of skills? Or ppl just dont have the time to take in an inexperienced person sad.gif

I seriously would like to switch my career and industry all together, but i not sure which industry to choose other than the planning and management which i have slight interest in, realistically speaking.
Xccess
post Jul 1 2016, 10:01 AM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,694 posts

QUOTE(gundamsp01 @ Jul 1 2016, 08:06 AM)
Reading through all the experience by u all.

It seems so easy for ppl to actually change the career path and industry all together.

I wonder why i just keep getting rejections without even an interview. Could be due to my resume too general? Or the jobs i asked for (strategic planning and management) require a specific set of skills? Or ppl just dont have the time to take in an inexperienced person sad.gif

I seriously would like to switch my career and industry all together, but i not sure which industry to choose other than the planning and management which i have slight interest in, realistically speaking.
I left school at age 15, no proper qualification. Go ask yourself what you want in life, sit down with a paper and list down what you are good at, work from there. Channel rejection positively, keep pushing.
cdspins
post Jul 1 2016, 10:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,567 posts

You are stress because of your commitment or because of your career path?

TSgundamsp01
post Jul 1 2016, 10:25 AM

gunpla procrastinator
864 posts

QUOTE(cdspins @ Jul 1 2016, 10:13 AM)
You are stress because of your commitment or because of your career path?
Stress mainly on career, age, peers, of coz salary and the room which i can learn more and be better. The current place i am working at, no longer groom ppl or provide opportunities as mentioned in my first post.

When an uncle actually come to u and say:"young man, u cannot be like this anymore, close to 30 still support role? Do u even think about ur future? Do u think ur gf wants to stay long with u? Better plan well, young man"

I tried my best to apply for jobs, to search for one (relevant to what i am now, a project support and try to apply for planning as well). But I am open for anything(non it/sales) which i can learn and specialize in, sadly no chance given, not even an interview.

I can only do my best in the things i can control (ie: application of job), but chances aren't something which i have the hand on...

This post has been edited by gundamsp01: Jul 1 2016, 10:28 AM
alanyuppie
post Jul 1 2016, 10:38 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,791 posts

If you're still young, BE BRAVE and keep hopping till u found d right place.
Xccess
post Jul 1 2016, 10:38 AM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,694 posts

My wife stayed in Citibank Malaysia for 9 years, she's one of the top sales in Malaysia, left due to politics and also lost of interest. Started her online biz with 5K ringgit, 2 years later after some struggle, she's making a tidy 5 figure income.

Some times you need to just let go. Stressing or worrying over something won't make it go away, action does. I hereby wish you all the best and sincerely look forward to hear good news from you soon.
Chip89
post Jul 1 2016, 10:51 AM

3 posts

I feel you TS, i lost in my carrier path but not lost in my salary.. i start my 1st work as programmer role last 2 year with only salary 2k ..after 3rd company jump... now i work as support role salary 7k which is non related to my 2 experience ... but i still think i far behind for 27 y.o...
cdspins
post Jul 1 2016, 10:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,567 posts

QUOTE(gundamsp01 @ Jul 1 2016, 10:25 AM)
Stress mainly on career, age, peers, of coz salary and the room which i can learn more and be better. The current place i am working at, no longer groom ppl or provide opportunities as mentioned in my first post.

When an uncle actually come to u and say:"young man, u cannot be like this anymore, close to 30 still support role? Do u even think about ur future? Do u think ur gf wants to stay long with u? Better plan well, young man"

I tried my best to apply for jobs, to search for one (relevant to what i am now, a project support and try to apply for planning as well). But I am open for anything(non it/sales) which i can learn and specialize in, sadly no chance given, not even an interview.

I can only do my best in the things i can control (ie: application of job), but chances aren't something which i have the hand on...
Sorry let me rephrase the question. what is your biggest stress? Commitment and Income? Seems to me that's the case.
I would advise first to cut down your commitment. Seems to me you are too heavily insured to start with cause you have a thought that after you die, the money handed out will give good life to your family. Terminate or reduce the sum insured, your parents don't need your money if you are dead. with less commitment, your stress level will reduce. This will give you more room to think straight.

By the way, ignored those Uncle and aunties that give such comments vmad.gif
It is your life, and as you say be in control of it. You don't need to benchmark with your uncle yardsticks.
You are unique and so is everybody else. It is in-appropriate to compare a fish to a monkey on their abilities to climb a tree.
ericalexander
post Jul 1 2016, 10:56 AM

17 posts

Based on your first post, you said that you regret taking IT Course. I think you should be grateful because you can get the opportunity working in IT Field. confused.gif

I think my situation worst than yours. I'm a fresh graduate, 24 years old currently. Taking a rubbish course (learning something like records, and information science).

I have applied many jobs before, and in the end I got the offer to work in Customer Service, Retail and F&B line. You know it's really sad when I didn't get an opportunity working in Office-based.

All the jobs I need to work on shifts, public holidays and weekend.

My first job - Something like Marketing, horrible company, left after 2 months of working, extremely low pay.

Second job - Working in Customer Service at shopping mall. This job doesn't have any value or skills that I gained with. I worked there for 4 months only.

Third job - Retail. Work for their management trainee, left due personal reason.

And now , I'm looking for a job. Been jobless since March.

You should be grateful that you can get the opportunity working in the field that you're studying. My friends that took IT course immediately get a job after completed internship training. Some of them being absorbed to permanent after doing internship.

And for current situations, IT and Accounting field are some of the field that in demand. I wish I can go back to the past and take a better course. I feel regret taking the rubbish course, I don't even get the opportunity going interview for Office based related position.

Most of the job offers that I got is a job that seriously have high turnover like Customer Service. Now I still don't know what is my next plan. Already attend for retail and F&B interview, after Raya for Call Centre position.

Still it's not a office based job. sad.gif

If I can go back to the past, I will definitely taking IT, Accounting or Engineering course. I'm serious.

This post has been edited by ericalexander: Jul 1 2016, 11:05 AM
ctys2012
post Jul 1 2016, 11:20 AM

Getting Started
248 posts

QUOTE(Xccess @ Jun 30 2016, 10:25 PM)
Used to work for a company for 5 years, no MC, hardly late for work. One day a regular customer of mine asked these 2 questions:

1) what you do before going to bed. Do I plan my work schedule in my head?

2) Go to bed with an empty mind and drag myself to work the next day.

Told him mine was the second. He looked at me and said, you are a hardworking fella but when you lose interest in what you do, you'll be stagnant even if you stay here for next couple of years, it's time to move on. Upon hearing that, I tender my resignation a week later in December, left without taking my bonus. Never look back since.
thanks.
ctys2012
post Jul 1 2016, 11:24 AM

Getting Started
248 posts

QUOTE(nikanika @ Jul 1 2016, 12:09 AM)
Ayam almost in the same situation like u, ts, but ayam already 30+ sad.gif , a code monkey
high 5 again bro!

35 this year, still 4 figure salary, bb coming next week, cukur.

work at your pace, life is a competition. all the best to u TS

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0204sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:31 PM