Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Baby with lower weight, My first baby

views

TStalapias
post Jun 28 2016, 11:37 AM, updated 8y ago

34 posts

Hye pa and ma, i need some advise/opinion regarding my issue. sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

My 1st baby girl (age 1 month plus) currently consume fully BM, unfortunately baby weight is reducing from 1st born day (3.5kg) and reduce about 400gm after 1 month. Last two weeks, my baby was referring to the hospital due to weight loss, take some blood test and urine test and the result is normal and everything is fine. My wife also see the lactation consultant and get some advise, and everything is good to go, just the matter off re-adjustment on latching and the baby is easy to sleep when bf. Doctor told us to go to clinic 2 times per week to check the baby's weight until next appointment.

1st week. - baby weight fm 3.14kg, 1st check up 3.2 kg, 2nd check up 3.215 kg.

2nd week (this week). - baby fm 3.215 kg down to 3 kg. Nurse refer my baby to doctor, and doctor advise us to go for milk powder which contain high calories. Im planning on S26 for my baby for time moment. it is ok?

So, is there any opinion/advise to us regarding this matter, or any of you have some experience on this issue and can share some thoughts?
Thanks in advanced. icon_question.gif icon_question.gif icon_question.gif

LY115
post Jun 28 2016, 11:47 AM

Getting Started
185 posts

Honestly, it's normal... my little one did had a weight loss after her birth...

the rational i can think of is... during the pregnancy the baby got ALL nutritions he/she need from mother which already in digesting form...
once give brith, the baby need to start digest him/herself on milk consumed.... so might need some time for the baby to get use to own digestion.

my little one dropped 500g during her first month...

now she is a healthy and happy baby...

Edited:
Water retention is also a possible. as mentioned above

This post has been edited by LY115: Jun 28 2016, 11:48 AM
TStalapias
post Jun 28 2016, 11:57 AM

34 posts

QUOTE(rangerdanger @ Jun 28 2016, 11:41 AM)
It's normal for newborns to lose weight in the first few weeks due to loss in water retention. However, your little one's weight seems to be rather erratic fluctuating up and down.
Regarding the formula, S26 by Wyatt is good, in fact one of the better ones around. If possible, get the S26 Gold Step 1.
yep tq rangerdanger..just bought Wyeth S26 GOLD SMA Milk Powder Stage 1 for her. will make some observation for her weight.

QUOTE(LY115 @ Jun 28 2016, 11:47 AM)
Honestly, it's normal... my little one did had a weight loss after her birth...

the rational i can think of is... during the pregnancy the baby got ALL nutritions he/she need from mother which already in digesting form...
once give brith, the baby need to start digest him/herself on milk consumed.... so might need some time for the baby to get use to own digestion.

my little one dropped 500g during her first month...

now she is a healthy and happy baby...
Edited:
Water retention is also a possible. as mentioned above
ok tq LY115, but from your experience how long it will lasting? or depends on baby digestion..im afraid due to weight loss will refer back to hospital again. and do you consume milk powder or just let go with normal bf?
LY115
post Jun 28 2016, 12:48 PM

Getting Started
185 posts

QUOTE(talapias @ Jun 28 2016, 11:57 AM)
ok tq LY115, but from your experience how long it will lasting? or depends on baby digestion..im afraid due to weight loss will refer back to hospital again. and do you consume milk powder or just let go with normal bf?
Well it didn't last long... second month onwards, the weight slowly gain back... i recall the 2.5th month weight is same as born weight...
it depends on the baby... we didn't worry so much on that so continue with BF...till 4th month... baby weight still continue to increase then...
SUSslimey
post Jun 28 2016, 12:56 PM

6,914 posts

weight loss in first 10 days about 10% consider normal. anything beyond that is not.

anyway, increase feeding and continue monitoring as what the clinic suggest.
LY115
post Jun 28 2016, 12:57 PM

Getting Started
185 posts

QUOTE(rangerdanger @ Jun 28 2016, 12:52 PM)
My daughter's birthweight was 2.87kg. After 1 week down to 2.6kg -panic abit but doctor said relax normal normal. My daughter was on full BM cos she didnt like the taste of formula. So I thought maybe my wife's BM not enuff fats haha. Then some of our friends advised my wife to increase her calory and dairy intake so that the BM will be richer. So makan la cheesecake, Anlene, cheese (not slices ar but those real Gouda etc) .. after 1 month, my daughter's weight increased and increased ... now chubby fatty bom bom liao =)
guess she must be very cute looking like a 'Michelin"...

now i'm having pain on my arms for carrying her too much... laugh.gif
TStalapias
post Jun 28 2016, 07:04 PM

34 posts

QUOTE(LY115 @ Jun 28 2016, 12:48 PM)
Well it didn't last long... second month onwards, the weight slowly gain back... i recall the 2.5th month weight is same as born weight...
it depends on the baby... we didn't worry so much on that so continue with BF...till 4th month... baby weight still continue to increase then...
Ic..tq..myb take some time for my baby.for now, i think i will go for milk powder first.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0112sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:11 PM