Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Plan to buy a NEW/USED car?(V3),, ASK HERE for recommendations

views

fastreader
post Aug 23 2017, 10:59 PM

4,551 posts

I'm based in east malaysia. and I notice the road tax in East malaysia is cheaper than peninsular malaysia. BUT the second hand car price is lower...

So, i was thinking, to bring in a car from, let's say, KL...do i continue to pay the road tax according to peninsular malaysia rate? or the local east malaysia rate?
fastreader
post Aug 28 2017, 01:58 PM

4,551 posts

QUOTE(merci @ Aug 28 2017, 09:37 AM)
Yes, You can pay the road tax and insurance according to the East Malaysia road tax. To get these rates, You need to bring your car for inspection at PUSPAKOM. Then bring the report to JPJ.
oic...Thanks for the clarification...appreciate this advice...i'll try to find out more on this procedure... rclxms.gif rclxms.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
fastreader
post Nov 9 2018, 10:40 PM

4,551 posts

Hi dear all,

I've spotted a Honda CR-v First Gen for sale at below RM20k and is extremely interested.

1) Is this a good buy? Or should I stay away from this old car?

2) What are the common problem encountered by the FIRST gen CR-V?

I';m noob when it comes to car and based it soley on the final price... smile.gif
fastreader
post Nov 10 2018, 10:56 PM

4,551 posts

QUOTE(Chrix @ Nov 10 2018, 09:36 AM)
It’s a good work horse, to an extent. What what are your criteria for a vehicle? There maybe other choices to consider.
I'm looking for vehicle with good ground clearance, spacious interior...and most importantly, cos below 18k....

so far the model in consideration is the first gen CR-V....but i'm still holding back as i'm concern if there are any big problem with this model..

fastreader
post Dec 12 2018, 02:34 PM

4,551 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Dec 12 2018, 03:15 AM)

2014 VW Passat 1.8T - however, both of the cars above you have to sacrifice something for fuel economy. The Honda you can drive it as hard as you want but the 1500cc isn't going to give you much driving pleasure at highways. The Toyota would only give you excellent fuel economy if you drive like a grandpa, so highways speeds it will just revert to the 1800cc engine most of the time so you won't see much fuel savings. I think the car that would most suit you would be a turbo car as it would give you great driving pleasure and good fuel economy especially on highways. Plus being a D-segment car it will be full spec with cruise control, etc. Older Passats lost their value due to the DSG and TSI engine issues previously (now resolved) so you can pick one up at a very cheap price.

Hi Sir,

when u talk about Passat issues being rectified, meaning model from year 2014 onwards had all been rectified? hence, the recommendation?

which year's passat are best to avoid? and which year onwards are safe to purchase?..(for second hand ones, i mean)
fastreader
post Jan 22 2019, 11:51 PM

4,551 posts

Hi, a few words of appreciation...

I have been following this thread with great diligence and is always appreciative of Zenix taking the time and effort to not only provide reasonable suggestion, he/she even took it one step further to link it to mudah.my...respect to you, Sir / Mdm!!!

Anyway, I believe i have asked a few piece of information from you in the past, so here I am again, surveying before i depart with my herd earn money...
fastreader
post Jan 23 2019, 12:01 AM

4,551 posts

Hi Sifu, i have the following dilemma...

1. Brand: Merc S280
2. Budget:35k cash ( Plan to only use RM5k as downpayment only) (Looking at Year 2003-2005 model)
3. New/Used/Unreg.: Used
4. Specs: Not applicable
5. Remarks:

I have my eyes on the following:

1) Merc S280, Year 2003 - Year 2005.
2) Market price is around 20-26k.
3) My financing strategy is to pay RM5k as downpayment and then loan the rest of the balance.
4) I will have around 25-30k to spare as repair/maintenance/refurbishement cost.
5) Rationale for choosing this model is because of its comfort, fancy electronics, PERFORMANCE and safety. Planning to use it for around 3-4 years before selling it off again. (Main reason is going for the performance, so planning to 'trash' it and make the money worthwhile tongue.gif )

so, Sifus, would this model, S280, be a good purchase? Are my rationale logical/resaonable enough?..or its just plain stupid and i;m bringing upon myself a financial disaster?

Just be blunt with me, sifus...because your advice and experience would save me from financial mishaps.. tongue.gif
fastreader
post Jan 23 2019, 08:53 AM

4,551 posts

QUOTE(Chrix @ Jan 23 2019, 08:18 AM)
I've never own a Benzo... just a bimmah. But your strategy seems like a fast way to burn off excess money laugh.gif
doh.gif sad.gif sad.gif

gosh....i guess its a no-go?

as in, its an extremely bad idea to do what i have in mind? hmm.gif

This post has been edited by fastreader: Jan 23 2019, 09:24 AM
fastreader
post Mar 1 2019, 10:34 PM

4,551 posts

*silently waiting for Zenix sifu to show up and advice biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by fastreader: Mar 1 2019, 10:34 PM
fastreader
post Mar 14 2019, 02:04 PM

4,551 posts

*still silently waiting for @zenix to appear and comment
fastreader
post Apr 10 2019, 09:20 PM

4,551 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Apr 8 2019, 03:41 AM)
[/spoiler]

I've just realized lately hybrid vehicles do have unique pros and cons.
Cons they usually depreciate very fast so getting one used is quite easy.
This is because of the persistent myth that hybrid batteries cost a fortune to replace.
However, paying for batteries might be a small price to pay compared to first responders in an accident refusing to help until bomba/experts in hybrid vehicles are around to make sure nobody gets electrocuted to death.
hybrid-cars-pose-danger-for-first-responders

Additionally, Serena price drops very fast for a new car and Nissans have poor RV.
You may want to weigh all possibilities before purchasing.

[/spoiler]

Parts isn't a big issue when it comes to China cars as you can always taobao cheaper parts from China anytime unless it is a big ticket item like a whole engine, other than that you can find almost everything cheaper online. My friends driving Skoda's are doing the some finding parts on taobao (VW compatible parts) then buy, arrive in few days no scam like ebay.

The 6at ZF gearbox is quite a common
sos kicap

G10 isn't going to be as popular as Vellfire's and Estima's now especially since the recon ones in the market are still at affordable prices and aren't too complicated to repair but next generation might need to up their game in terms of safety, equipment, etc. will bump up the price and if our currency doesn't rebound such imports will be going to be expensive compared to more value buy CKD cars from China.
sos cili
sos mato

Westar isn't a small potato financially so it won't bankrupt soon

[/spoiler]

You may want to consider Haval H2.
After discount the price is about 93k.
Full function it has auto cruise, auto lights, auto wipers, electric parking brake, auto hold, dual zone aircon, ipod connection, auto sunroof, leather seats, auto aircon, etc. the spec list is alot. probably lose out to only Proton with it's voice command....but has more features in general than SUV's even at the 130k range.
It is a 6 speed auto with manual option, an older variant of the ZF gearbox used in previous generation of BMW's.
It has a 1.5 turbo engine, the turbo helps it for pickup and top-end, when cruising and running as 1.5 only very fuel saving.
Size wise it sits between a CX3/ASX/HRV and CX5/Outlander/CRV with human space is very spacious like in a D-segment car, however boot space could be one of the smaller ones compared to CX5/Outlander/CRV.
Maintenance every 10,000km and for a 1.5 engine the maintenance is going to be cheap, SA quoted under RM250.
Also you get a very resounding THUD when you close the doors, the feel like more conti than japanese the more you drive it and see the little details.

[/spoiler]

Recon BMW 5-series F10 are quite numerous and cost as much as a used 3-series.
You may want to check it out.
Recon imported 5-series has lesser issues compared with the CKD 3-series.

[/spoiler]

Car loan interest, loan margin and loan approval varies greatly.
Maybank branch in Sunway might reject you but Maybank branch in USJ may approve you at higher interest.
It is going to be very tedious to be 100% on the mark on this, so best to just follow the best rate the salesman can offer, as long as the salesman gives you a good deal.

Usually Honda & Toyota are tied with Tokio Marine, so far used their services, can say quite good.
Especially the towing mileage and coverage.

Toyota Yaris is gonna launch soon, will be the hottest thing in the market, you may want to check it out.
SIFU ZENIX is BACKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! drool.gif drool.gif drool.gif drool.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

BEEN WAITING for ur comment for the longest time, sifu...(despite not buying any car so soon yet)

rclxs0.gif

fastreader
post Apr 26 2019, 12:19 AM

4,551 posts

edited.

This post has been edited by fastreader: Apr 30 2019, 01:18 PM
fastreader
post Apr 30 2019, 12:23 AM

4,551 posts

1. Brand : Doesnt matter
2. Budget : RM50k and below (Will prepare around 10% of purchase price for repair/maintenance) (MAX can stretched to 60k, but preferably keep to RM50k and below)
3. New/Used/Unreg : USED only.
4. Specs : SUV/MPV (5-seater or 7 seater doesnt matter), high ground clearance, good safety,if possible (then again, i guess SUV tend to have better safety features by default.. hmm.gif )
5. Transmission : AUTO
6. NA or FI : Doesnt matter
7. Type : SUV / MPV
8. Remarks: Reliable model if possible,with not too complicated tech/super-high maintenance
9: Purpose of use: Better comfort for the family (more spacious than current myvi), higher ground clearance

I've shortlisted the belows, pls do let me know your thoughts whether its a no-go or yes-go or KIV.

1) 04/09 Toyota Harrier 2.4 Premium package (RM46k+): Picked this for the reputation. Have no idea on reliability/parts/known problem at all.

2) 99/02 Toyota Harrier 3.0 (RM24k) :Picked this for the reputation and price. Have no idea on reliability/parts/known problem at all.

3) 2009 Honda CR-V (RM46k+) : Again, picked this for the reputation and price. I heard tat this generation of CR_V have steering rack problem, and it cost RM7k for steering rack. What's your comment, Sir?

4) 2011/2012 Kia Sorento / Sportage OR Hyundai tucson / Santa Fe (BELOW RM45k): Shortlisted this for the 'newer' year of after 2011. And it fits the budget. Have no idea on reliability/parts/known problem at all.

6) 2015 Proton exora premium/super premium (RM43k): Had tested this out. the seating position is not that high/tall. If all else fail, then maybe would consider this lah..

7) 2011/2012 Toyota Innova (RM48k): Heard that this is a superrrr fuel guzzler? That turned me off. But, nonetheless, let's hear your comment..

8) 2008/2009/2010 Toyota Hilux/Mitsubishi triton/ Ford ranger (RM42k+): This definitely have good ground clearance. But just think that it look babaric... tongue.gif Pickup is not really a preferred option, but, will consider if that's the best option for my price point and requirement.

What do u think of the above choices? YAY or total NAY? Or my mentality is totally wrong (as i based it mainly on the budget and features on paper)?
Please do suggest if there;s any that's more suitable/recommended or i should stretched my budget to get it.

fastreader
post May 1 2019, 08:08 PM

4,551 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Apr 30 2019, 03:03 AM)

1&2) The older Harriers are good cars, about the only thing is the QC for the dashboard.
Probably recon cars not meant for our climate the paint or plastic wears off and needs to be replaced every few years.
The 3000cc has better spec and usually is cheaper but the roadtax is the killer.

3) Decent choice but it is quite old and there are better options for the money.

4) Too old skip it unless you're into restoring old junks.

5) During this period Korean makes were in a phase where they started to make their own stuff and stop rebadging Japanese and German brands. Many trial and errors during this phase. I wouldn't recommend a noob for any of them unless they love Koreans.

6&7) Both lack power and is fuel guzzler.

8) Do note that pickups require specialized tires and if you're not going off-roading much just want that extra clearance better get a low-rider version or SUV.

2013 Toyota Rush - not a complicated car basically is an avanza with AWD, cheap to maintain and part everywhere. Of course this is a basic SUV so the ride comfort, nvh, etc. isn't going to be great -- about the level of a Vios.

2006 RAV4 - basically has the same internals as the Camry of that generation so it is cheap to maintain and parts everywhere, but these are recon cars so they tend to have a very high-end luxurious feel but those things don't really sit well in our climate, e.g. the door trim has this very nice rubber to touch but it kinda gets melted and gooey.

Alrite, Thanks Sifu Zenix!!! notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Looks like for my budget and choice, the viable option are the following
1) Toyota Rav 4 (year 2006)
2) Toyota Harrier 04/09, 2.4

Will go ahead and hunt for these 2 models within the budget thumbsup.gif

fastreader
post Jun 10 2019, 12:01 AM

4,551 posts

SUPERB comment and knowledge sharing there @zenix ...
really enjoyed reading the comments and gaining knowledge from u, Sifu!!!
tbh, i had many times used the knowledge gathered here as conversation piece with others... flex.gif rclxm9.gif rclxm9.gif

Hope to personally meet u in person one day when I;m in the West...
fastreader
post Jun 21 2019, 10:58 AM

4,551 posts

QUOTE(frostfrench @ Jun 21 2019, 08:53 AM)
please explain. I am terrible in excel  tongue.gif
I believe u are a millenials...nvm, let us spoonfeed u...

Your FD 4% Interest per year = RM4360 X 5 years = RM21800 (Interest EARNED)

Car interest rate, 3.2% per year = RM3488 X 5 year = RM17440 (Interest expense)

So, if u have cash, u put in FD of 4%, it will yield more...so, if u take the loan of 3.2%, u still benefit from the 0.8% nett gain

fastreader
post Aug 2 2019, 11:38 PM

4,551 posts

QUOTE(officeBoy @ Aug 1 2019, 10:24 PM)
Wow Zenix, you're like automobile encyclopedia smile.gif

you know what, looking at the conti car price depreciation, it really tempting to get one, people are paying for few hundred thousand and we are paying 20-30% from original price  smile.gif

Btw, it quite difficult to differential the CGI and blue efficiency model,  Blue efficiency is not hybrid one right ?

https://www.mudah.my/Mercedes+Benz+E200+CGI...EW-76138717.htm
QUOTE(RagingBalls @ Aug 1 2019, 10:28 PM)
Thanks bro. You seem to have unbelievable and vast knowledge on cars. Simply amazing.
I TOTALLLLLYYY agree with u on these points!!!

i wonder where sifu ZENIX got all these knowledge...gosh....God-LIKE!!!

*respect respect!! notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Note: I truly enjoy reading your post, zenix...a true fan of ur knowledge sharing...No.1 fan!!! wub.gif always looking forward whenever u post.
fastreader
post Oct 1 2019, 11:59 PM

4,551 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Jul 22 2019, 11:53 PM)

I've got an update for this

So he manage to get a deal with a used car dealer which also does import cars, and this is roughly the deal on the table.
Trade-in: Audi A6 @ 83k, Nissan Teana @ 40k. Total trade-in value 123k.
Purchase: 2014 Mini Countryman unreg recon @ 97k OTR, 2008 Toyota Mark X Zio @ 60k OTR. Total purchase is 157k.
The used car lot just wants to clear the Zio which is why it is pretty cheap as an unreg, just slightly above used car price of the same year.

He still has 23k in the pocket if this deal goes through and he told me he might keep it to snag any 350z being sold cheaply.

@zenix

with regards to this post, although its been almost 2 months, i still cannot get my mind off the final statement....

the 350z!!!...

been pondering about this being the weekend car for a while....

any comment on this car?... (forget about the roadtax, its calculated risk..so taken into account dy.. tongue.gif )

very eager to snag one up.. laugh.gif laugh.gif brows.gif devil.gif
fastreader
post Nov 12 2019, 11:10 PM

4,551 posts

QUOTE(BarnabasCollins @ Nov 12 2019, 02:45 PM)
Planning to get the Prius 1.8 year around 2011-2013 price at 25k-30k. Toyota released a statement about its warranty where there's additional 5 years on top of the 3 years warranty. Is it a good buy now? The specs looks good though.

Currently Im driving a 09 Vios, for Grab purpose, but Grab's limitation is cars that is up to 10 years, so Im planning to sell my Vios & get the Prius. Cant get fancy cars though as my budget is just up to 30k. And the most important is fuel efficient I think.
asically the battery is covered under their 8 years warranty...so, if u get a year 2013, 8 year would end in 2021...

apart from that, all servicing MUST be done at Toyota service center, cos a lot of workshop wont touch hybrid as its a high voltage car...meaning, the servicing would be expensive...do take this into consideration.. smile.gif

the above are information and knowledge taught by sifu ZENIX.. notworthy.gif notworthy.gif I gotta give my credit to sifu ZENIX. smile.gif
fastreader
post Nov 25 2019, 08:46 AM

4,551 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Nov 23 2019, 11:46 PM)
Been away for sometime.
Replying to the last 5 queries.
Anyone I missed out can tag me.

[/spoiler]

New City model coming so better enjoy the rebates.
I find that the spec of the Hybrid accessories are between E (medium) and V (top spec). You can compare it here.

Of course the biggest difference is the 7 speed DCT and Hybrid system.
That for me is quite fuel saving but real world numbers it isn't that much better than a regular City.
You'd probably eek out an extra 100-150km per fuel tank in normal driving so depending on your usage and mileage you think it is saving or not, plus of course there is warranty but if any of the hybrid parts croak after warranty (eventhough it is cheap now) you're looking at, at least 7k for the gearbox,  5k for the batteries, etc.
But one thing though the combination of hybrid electric pickup and DCT = very fun car.

[/spoiler]

If you're targeting something for Grab then I suggest either Bezza/Axia.
You're never going to save enough money from fuel with a hybrid to offset the upkeep expenses.
Hybrid's as it is now is for people that wanna think they saving the environment from noxious fumes and fuel saving but didn't realized lithium batteries mining process poisons the earth and maintenance isn't an issue coz these people are usually rich.

[/spoiler]

2013 Toyota Mark X - you're not going to be in affordable and less headache territory if the mindset cannot siasui in terms of brand prestige, somethings must give. If you're okay with recon/unreg cars then this is something which is up your alley. It is a sedan but a more premium version than Camry. Apart from the badge and styling it is the twin of the Lexus IS250 but because of the lesser brand prestige you can get a younger model at cheaper price. Good safety features and very easy on the pocket for upkeep.

Apart from that there is nothing under 100k for a new car that would stand-up to a VW or Mercedes. Slightly above 100k you can see BMW F10 520's recon starting at 120k but of course cheap price as it is, it is still going to cost your BMW level to upkeep, same goes for recon Merc A-Class. For VW there are Passat and Jetta pre-reg within 90-120k range but that depends on model and age of the car.

Under 100k but new and dependable and cute and small would probably be the new Toyota Yaris, everything else is quite mass market.

Unless you don't mind the badge but want that continental car level of quality, comfort and styling then you can consider Haval H2 which is an SUV and from a chinese manufacturer (the largest SUV/off-road vehicle maker in the world) it has the dependable hardware like the ZF gearbox (same as BMW e90) and a turbo charged 4G engine (derivative and a family of 4G engines used by Mitsubishi and Proton) and comfort and technology of continental cars like auto lights, auto wipers, dual zone auto aircon climate control, auto sunroof, e-handbrake, leather seats, etc. All under 100k.

[/spoiler]

2012 Toyota Altis 1.8 - for your requirements you can't really go wrong with an Altis, do find one which wasn't abused and it will last you a long long time. For a car of this age if the odometer is too low there is something suspicious but if it is around 70k - 100k for a lady driver that doesn't use the car alot it is realistic but you should consign yourself to something which is already at or near 100k mileage. As long as service and taken care of well shouldn't have gremlins. Of course you can get a newer Vios for the budget but then again it is quite cramped at the back in terms of width and foot-well space. Also within this price range you should see Mitsubishi Lancer/Proton Inspira but that car is lacking alot of safety features such as VSC which is standard on all Altis.

2013 Toyota Inova 2.0 - size and space wise it will be about the same as Estima but this rides higher up the ground, less fancy and with normal doors. Riding higher can be a pro/con depending on your thinking, if you're thinking of smaller MPV like Wish/Stream which are built on sedan car chassis they ride lower so it is easier to get in and out because the seats are near your bum level for average height person where sedan you gotta bend down or MPV like Innova/Estima you need a side step/stretch abit to get in and out. Higher gives you better road visibility and you don't have to worry about monsoon season like now where there'll be pockets of flood waters, as long as it is not too high you should be able to drive through the flood waters with ease. Of course bum level is better but higher is okay too especially if you've got old folks it is easier for them to go in out (even with the height) then go in out of a sedan. Estima would give you power doors and power boot (this you can add with after market parts) and is more comfortable but then Estima would burst your budget for newer one and those within your budget are over 10 years old. So all-in-all it is not so fancy but it is more practical and as with most toyota's parts and maintenance is cheap because sharing among different models.
I;ve said it before and I will say it AGAIN...truly a masterpiece sharing of knoweldge, ZENIX!!!!

keep it coming, your comment are the reason some of us keep returning here to read. smile.gif rclxm9.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

AND we never stop learning from u!! smile.gif

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0212sec    0.39    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:57 PM