Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Plan to buy a NEW/USED car?(V3),, ASK HERE for recommendations

views

LazyKurosaki
post Dec 21 2016, 10:39 PM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

Anyone know if Lexus ct200h a good buy? Is the maintenance roughly the same as. Toyota Prius? Is this a reliable model? Used Lexus ct200h selling for 119k
LazyKurosaki
post Dec 24 2016, 06:46 PM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Dec 24 2016, 06:33 PM)

Same hardware underneath.
Brand prestige issue only.

Hows the reliability of it? Is it good?
LazyKurosaki
post Dec 26 2016, 10:57 PM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

Not sure to go for ct200h or new ford focus
LazyKurosaki
post Jan 3 2017, 09:30 PM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Jan 3 2017, 09:23 PM)

CT200H will maintain it's value better than FF.

Don't really care about value..Need a reliable car
LazyKurosaki
post Jan 4 2017, 07:58 AM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Jan 4 2017, 12:11 AM)
requirements:
- resale value not an issue
- reliability must be good
- maintenance cost? unknown

sorry to say neither cars score high on reliability.
although toyota/lexus in general are good at reliability the CT is a hybrid and most cars here are recon so there is doubt on this area.

CT don't have recond here wo..Never see recond ct200h here..All I see is from Lexus Malaysia..

LazyKurosaki
post Apr 27 2017, 03:13 PM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

Whats the highest price I.cn fetch for my.current 2012 persona elegance white color high spec if sell direct owner? Thinking to buy sonata LF or YF
LazyKurosaki
post May 4 2017, 11:28 AM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ May 4 2017, 01:00 AM)
u r welcomed  rclxms.gif
Suprima is a decent buy if what you want is just to know how it feels like to have a turbo car.
I've been bamboozled by proton too many times so all i can say is no comment on the free service and warranty  tongue.gif 
look around the car listing websites of the prices.
you can try to offer at the highest average price.
but your car really has to be in great condition to fetch that price.
Which one u think its more.worthy? The yf or lf?
LazyKurosaki
post May 5 2017, 07:39 AM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ May 5 2017, 12:08 AM)
thanks  laugh.gif
I'm not too sure which version the malaysian market has so i'll lay out the problems that people have in general.

YF = 2011-2014 Sonata
LF = 2015+ Sonata

YF
1. Bluetooth - especially the 2011 model the bluetooth connectivity is shit and voice streaming is crap.
2. TPMS - just an on/off LED type meaning no indication which tire the pressure is low.
3. Pano roof - weird noise like it is going to break when open/close, when you go over bump it makes a sound like it is loose or going to break if the frame gets warped too much.

LF
2015 model seems to fix the bluetooth and panoroof problems.
Top spec will have TPMS indicator like conti's with an value for each tire. Blind spot indicator and adaptive cruise control is also available on this spec.

user posted image

Talking about Hyundai's I had a very good test on the Ionic a few weeks back.
Kinda busy so didn't write this up sooner.
This isn't a car review per se, but just how Hyundai has changed my perception from a Proton-ish quality manufacturer (when I test drove their first generation hyundai coupe i actually accidentally kicked the side sill away coz it was so poorly installed) to the Ionic which to me they have close the gap in terms of technology nearer to Toyota Prius.

Features which I thought were cool:
1. The front logo isn't a normal logo, it is actually a flat 3d sticker kinda thing, coz it houses the radar system for the auto break, auto cruise and lane keeping assist.
2. At the bottom of the center console is the usual cubby spot people put their keys or phones nowadays, interesting feature is that it is actually a wireless charging station, although it didn't work for my iphone the salesman showed that it works for his samsung galaxy.
3. the auto stuff
a. auto wipers
b. auto breaking - in the menu you can adjust the harshness of this feature or off it
c. auto cruise - i think we've seen the adverts of robot cars that can drive themselves and although this car can't fully do that yet it is almost there, once you set the auto cruise it will almost drive itself as it can maintain a constant speed when no cars are infront of it, or brake and follow the speed of the car infront automatically.
d. lane keeping assist - this one has 3 modes; on/off/auto. off nothing happens, on is just a keep or light indication, auto the car uses the radar at the front to see the white dotted lane lines and the steering actually adjusts itself.
e. auto lights and DRL - lights will turn on by itself when it is dark or in the tunnel, and will stay on for a while after you turn off the car so you got light to enter the house, DRL is also has light sensors so turn off at night. yup not like the kanasai ah beng with their modified HID and always on DRLs blinding people on the opposite direction.
4. battery technology - i didn't do any research on this yet but according to the hyundai staff the battery technology inside the ionic is similar to the ones inside the tesla, they're round similar to AA size batteries loaded into banks. the car has 3 banks of batteries so when there is a failure you just replace a bank not the whole battery pack, the SRSP per bank is less around RM800-1000. additionally these tesla kinda batteries iinm are called the 18650 cell batteries (although tesla is moving on to newer tech they developed called 2170 cell batteries) which are Li-On type batteries more info here which are better than what the Prius has been using which is the NiMH type batteries more info here. TLDR NiMH are crappier stuff we used to use in older phones and camcorders, while nowadays all our phones use the more robust Li-On battery more info here. Also as a bonus if all 3 of the batteries totally fails the car will work like a regular 1600cc hatchback.
5. Driving eco mode vs sports mode. Eco mode is just like any other Eco mode, low rpm low speed and all the usual hybrid gimmicks play their part like start-stop engine, electric only if you drive really slow, etc. What I really like is the Sports mode when you enter this mode the car feels much more ready to pounce as like when you're in the perfect rev range and everything tightens up. In this mode the petrol and electric motor works in tandem so you have the instant pickup from the electric motor which is quite rapid for a hybrid i would say Golf TSI level quickness then the petrol engine backs it up. It was great i was pointing the car at any direction slam on the gas and boom it the horizon reaches you rapidly, i was testing it like a maniac turn a corner then slam the gas then brake then slam the gas again, it was a hoot.....but all this braking helps the electric motors regen braking recharge the battery for another burst of speed. Also when entering sports mode the meter cluster changes from blue to red with a bigger rev counter. According to the staff with the heavy burden of pickup always supported by the electric motor the car even driven in sports mode all the time can still return a diesel like gas mileage of 800kms. FYI electric motors give you instantly 100% of their power from standstill which is why this hybrid with a combined HP of only 140+ hp feels like it can take on some turbo's boys. Some of the things i've talked about are only available on the top spec version but this i feel is the most important and is available on even the base model.
6. Suspension is pretty good with macs at the front and multi-link at the rear, it can corner and outpace the turbo veloster which has punny torsion beams at the rear  :thumbsup: 
7. The digital meter cluster although it cannot zoom in/out and transform to a GPS like the VW digital meter it gives you bigger meters and larger menu coz one of the meter will vanish to show the menu, and when in sports mode the bigger meter will be the rev counter not the tach. But the base model has the normal physical meters and static box for the menu.

that's about it i guess....this car is jam packed with features and this is on top of the standard stuff like traction control, hill start assist, ABS, EBD, ISOFIX seats, 5 star safety rating, 7 airbags (front 2, front side 2, rear side 2, driver knee 1) LED DRL, HID headlamps, blindspot detection system, auto dimming rear view mirror, etc.

sad.gif it doesn't come with the electric scooter that tucks away at the side of the door like the US version sad.gif

Agreed. I driven the new ioniq as well..it drive so much better compared to other model..extremely like.the flat bottom steering wheel
LazyKurosaki
post Apr 15 2018, 02:12 AM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

Is sonata lf a bad car? Don't see many on road and hyundai giving like 40k discount
LazyKurosaki
post Apr 24 2018, 08:59 AM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Apr 24 2018, 12:20 AM)

It is a great car if you don't mind the depreciation.
Due to economic outlook of the country many people rather play safe with Honda/Toyota/Nissan for their D-segment options.

Meaning if 77k 2nd hand 2015 year, it's worth to purchase? Afraid there will be lack of support for the model due to hyundai Malaysia also stop bringing in the sonata lf
LazyKurosaki
post Jul 7 2019, 02:44 AM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

Am quote 70k otr for Sonata 2015 high spec. Worth it?
LazyKurosaki
post Jul 15 2019, 06:51 PM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

I'm looking for a car to replace my old persona by end of this year. Any recommendation?

1. Brand : not into Toyota/Honda
2. Budget : below 100k
3. New/Used/Unreg : used
4. Specs : full spec preferable. 2.0/2.4 doesn't matter. So long full spec
5. Transmission : Auto
6. NA or FI :
7. Type : Sedan, C to D segment
8. Remarks : will be frequency travelling around due to nature of my job. Need a balance in power:comfortable ratio.. Nt sure if this make sense.

I'm currently looking at
D segment
Nissan teana 2.5XV
Hyundai Sonata LF 2.0 executive
Kia Optima K5 2.0 2015 Post facelift.

C segment
Hyundai Elantra 1.6 Sport
Mazda 3 GVC 2.0 high spec
Hyundai Ioniq 1.6 HEV PLUS

This post has been edited by LazyKurosaki: Jul 15 2019, 06:52 PM
LazyKurosaki
post Jul 19 2019, 09:28 AM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

[quote=zenix,Jul 19 2019, 01:30 AM]
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Can be Csegment as well. Looking for balance in power and comfort. Yes, can go 80k

This post has been edited by LazyKurosaki: Jul 19 2019, 09:29 AM
LazyKurosaki
post Jul 20 2019, 03:10 PM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Jul 20 2019, 01:46 PM)
[/spoiler]

I think the Perdana I've shown previously and below is a good choice, quite new cars being cleared by Proton but has the heart of a Honda. Compared against Teana and Camry it is much better in terms of overall reliability, performance and maintenance.

2013 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback 2.4 - basically they stuffed the 2400cc engine from the Outlander into this car. Mitsubishi has always have such an open plan for their engine options. I remember playing around in a Proton Inspira 1.8 manual it was hella fun but going up there were no manual options for the 2.0, thus with the auto the performance seeks only adequate for it's size and weight. But ponking the 2.4 into that body totally changed the game. Though being a sportback the rear isn't going to be happy about being flicked around in corners so be-careful of that but you still got good pickup and straight line speed. Maintenance is pretty much the same as a Lancer/Inspira for most parts and Outlander for the engine and gearbox. Just don't get rear ended coz that's the only thing unique to this car so it's expensive.

2009 Subaru Impreza SGT 2.0T - since this is a 2009 car and now is 2019 this is the last year you can get a bank loan for this car, after this you gotta pay the full amount in cash or get a personal loan which has higher interest. Just a little information regarding Impreza's the base model comes with a standard 1600cc engine, the SGT is the starting spec for the 2000cc turbo models, next up is the WRX spec topping off with the STI spec. As a car it has everything you'd want in terms of performance it has a 2000cc turbo engine and AWD, although SGT doesn't have paddle shifters as standard you can still manual shift using the gated gear knob or you can upgrade to the WRX or STI steering it should be plug & play. Upkeep depends on yourself, it can be maintained as cheaply as a Camry/Accord or as expensive as a JDM Sportscar depending if you keep it stock or modify it. I also recommend you to join a club to find the best places to maintain your car without burning your pocket, a club like SV10C is great I've joined them many times and are a bunch of nice guys no lansi otai or taikos.

SV10C Gathering

2014 Renalt Clio RS - if you don't want something as old as the Impreza but want that kind of performance then may you can consider this car, when it was brand new it cost the owner RM178k but now you can have it for only RM73k a full 100k discount in 5 years. So if it depreciate that much it must be a terrible car or something right? Well similar to VW cars and their perceive problems of DSG gearbox or TSI engine problems driving down the used car prices, this car suffers from everyday Joe being oblivious and dumb which helps you aused car punter buy a superb car for RM100k less. The engine is a 1.6 turbo MR engine from Nissan which is used in the Nissan Juke (and others not available here like Sentra Turbo, Pulsar Turbo, Tida Turbo, X-Trail Turbo, etc) so parts for it can be had from the Nissan and JDM stockist no worries about that. The EDC Gearbox is a dual-clutch, although no stated manufacturer it is most likely Getrag since this manufacturer makes gearboxes for other Renault cars like the Megane. Two major components got alternatives so don't need to go back Renault 3s to repair/maintain.

Else you can just go for the BMW 316i F30, which I covered in another post.

[/spoiler]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard bmw reliability is not good at all compared to mercs

LazyKurosaki
post Jul 21 2019, 10:58 AM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Jul 21 2019, 02:00 AM)
Correct!

BUUUUUTTTTTT

1) You won't be able to get a comparable Merc at this age for this price
2) Merc's aren't known for handling, they're the upgraded version of Camry/Teana = comfort, spaghetti like handling, old man

You can't have it all.

You can get 2014 BMW 316i within your budget, which still looks like a regular BMW sedan.
If you don't mind faking it, a 320i badge is only RM25 at the shops.
Street cred, performance, fuel efficiency and functionality can all be had in this car.
The only trade-off is the higher upkeep however since this sounds like it is your dream car requirements just go for it......you wanna waste 70k and 7 years driving a boring car?
Don't think BMW is within my affordable range... in terms of maintenance
LazyKurosaki
post Jul 22 2019, 12:03 AM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Jul 21 2019, 03:36 PM)
what is your affordable range?
definitely not until sports car level or luxury brand level like bmw/audi/Mercedes.

That's why even for D segment im looking at Hyundai or Kia only haha
LazyKurosaki
post Jul 23 2019, 10:02 AM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

Not so into the perdana after seeing the car. Yes exterior looks good but interior not my taste. What you think of sonata LF, k5 and teana?
LazyKurosaki
post Jul 23 2019, 11:31 PM

Master of Donut
1,120 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Jul 23 2019, 10:57 PM)
[/spoiler]

Which year?

Teana? Spaghetti handling, gearbox overheating issue. Other than that it's fine.
Sonata LF? Underpowered, recall for brakes + steering + ABS system, higher maintenance cost due to rarity of car
Kia K5? 2011-2013 models are known for engine failure, performance like the Sonata is lacking, maintenance is about the same as Sonata too

You're going to need to face facts.
1. Your budget isn't enough for your demands.
2. You can buy cheaper/older/better spec cars but be prepared for gremlins, if you're lucky will be minor things that will sort out once you do normal maintenance.
3. You need to be more car savvy else repair bills will be too much to handle.

[/spoiler]

Get a Persona/Gen2.
They're as cheap as Saga BLM/Wira but with better comfort, safety and looks.
In general if compared to most brands Proton cars aren't fuel efficient but since you don't drive alot then it's fine.
I'm looking at 2015 and above models. K5 engine failure? Serious? That's surprising given the fact that kia is one of the most reliable brand

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0232sec    0.44    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:42 PM