Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Plan to buy a NEW/USED car?(V3),, ASK HERE for recommendations

views

lexo_oxel
post Jun 8 2021, 11:46 AM

31 posts

Hi Sifus,

Currently having bezza and looking around for new/used car around 80k+-;

1) new - Toyota Vios (with rebate up to 9.2k with 5 years warranty)
2) used - Nissan X-Trail 2017/2018 with 1 year warranty
3) used - Subaru Forester 2017/2018 with 1 year warranty

Never have experience on used car before, would it be advisable to own an used car in terms of maintenance?

Thanks in advance
zenix
post Jun 9 2021, 02:02 PM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(cruizer @ May 28 2021, 01:36 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

UGPM

QUOTE(chrischiang @ May 31 2021, 01:19 PM)

2015 BMW 420i - can't get the M4 this is the next best thing, just for wayang wayang right? Uses the same 2000cc turbo heart as it's other brothers so parts, serviceability and tunability is the same as the others -- thus it is relatively low maintenance and has alot of potential for modding, this one already comes with the wolves clothes of the M4 to hide the fact it is a sheepish 420i, but most people wouldn't know. Unless taken to a track it is also unlikely any driver on the road will think it is not an M4 as it's fast enough to beat most cars, pick your fights you can take on most cars except Myvi, Any Audi with an S badge, etc.

Yes, but people rather just buy new car and take the NCD before the insurance die coz u not wasting money.
e.g. You pay for insurance and roadtax of your Altis = RM1000, you still need to pay for new insurance and roadtax for any car you buy.

QUOTE(Askzra @ Jun 2 2021, 06:57 PM)

That's a decent car.

Plus point is the physical slushbox gearbox with 5AT, however it can be sluggish on pickup but is fine after 40kmh.
City of this era onwards don't have the fancy foldable seats like the earlier City but still has alot of folding options.
I consider it more spacious than an equivalent vios.

QUOTE(sean0208 @ Jun 4 2021, 12:07 AM)

Actually, personally I'd prefer the equivalent Audi or Skoda.
But if I had to chose between the two I'd go for the Merc.

QUOTE(lexo_oxel @ Jun 8 2021, 11:46 AM)

Depends on the type of car you're going to buy.
For 80k you can buy a sports car / conti which would be expensive to maintain.
You can buy a d-segment japanese car which would be easier to maintain.
You can buy a c-segment japanese car which would be about 20-30% more expensive maintenance than you're experiencing now with your bezza.

So whats the reason to get another car?

dogbert_chew
post Jun 9 2021, 09:25 PM

Regular
1,126 posts

Never have experience on used car before, would it be advisable to own an used car in terms of maintenance?

Used cars need some knowledge on the brand, model to maintain once the warranty runs out. Say Xtrail gearbox breakdown, do you know where to take it to ?
If you prefer not to worry, new car not to say no problems, at least you are sure where to send.

How do you find the Bezza after 4-5 years ? If you want to continue with a sedan, then the Vios is not a bad choice.
If you wanna try SUV/ Crossovers like Xtrail, Forester then for a new car can consider testdrive Ativa after MCO

This post has been edited by dogbert_chew: Jun 9 2021, 09:25 PM
matrix88
post Jun 9 2021, 10:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,098 posts

Hi Sifus,

Currently having bezza and looking around for new/used car around 80k+-;

1) new - Toyota Vios (with rebate up to 9.2k with 5 years warranty)
2) used - Nissan X-Trail 2017/2018 with 1 year warranty
3) used - Subaru Forester 2017/2018 with 1 year warranty

Thanks in advance
Vios should be a good buy because new car, 5 years warranty. Downside is it is a small B segment sedan
Xtrail better avoid, many with CVT gearbox and aircond compressor problem. Very under power, so gas guzzler
Forester is a good car, but maintenance a bit high, wheel hub problem and change of cvt fluid/ axle fluid not cheap
chrischiang
post Jun 11 2021, 04:29 PM

Regular
1,069 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Jun 3 2021, 01:12 PM)
Suzuki Swift Sport ZC33S.
thanks! might test drive one after fmco... see some review on this.. some mentioned dont look down on this 140hp.. have to test drive ownself..
but naza should be one consideration for getting this car...

QUOTE(zenix @ Jun 9 2021, 02:02 PM)
2015 BMW 420i - can't get the M4 this is the next best thing, just for wayang wayang right? Uses the same 2000cc turbo heart as it's other brothers so parts, serviceability and tunability is the same as the others -- thus it is relatively low maintenance and has alot of potential for modding, this one already comes with the wolves clothes of the M4 to hide the fact it is a sheepish 420i, but most people wouldn't know. Unless taken to a track it is also unlikely any driver on the road will think it is not an M4 as it's fast enough to beat most cars, pick your fights you can take on most cars except Myvi, Any Audi with an S badge, etc.

Yes, but people rather just buy new car and take the NCD before the insurance die coz u not wasting money.
e.g. You pay for insurance and roadtax of your Altis = RM1000, you still need to pay for new insurance and roadtax for any car you buy.
Thanks for your suggestion.. not purely for wayang and used bmw cant wayang anyway hahah... i think i will stick to cooper jcw instead of 420i... if really want to have bmw badge, for this price i would rather go for 328i

for the insurance part.. im not selling my current car.. so will be better idea to pay for insurance and roadtax for current car, then only buy new car and transfer the NCD right?

This post has been edited by chrischiang: Jun 11 2021, 04:31 PM
6UE5T
post Jun 11 2021, 07:13 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(chrischiang @ Jun 11 2021, 04:29 PM)
thanks! might test drive one after fmco... see some review on this.. some mentioned dont look down on this 140hp.. have to test drive ownself..
but naza should be one consideration for getting this car...
Thanks for your suggestion.. not purely for wayang and used bmw cant wayang anyway hahah... i think i will stick to cooper jcw instead of 420i... if really want to have bmw badge, for this price i would rather go for 328i

for the insurance part.. im not selling my current car.. so will be better idea to pay for insurance and roadtax for current car, then only buy new car and transfer the NCD right?
What makes it fun is the handling and the weight of under 1 ton but got 230nm of torque, so this small hatch can easily humiliate higher segment cars. The HP also easily tunable to 180-200hp.
zenix
post Jun 12 2021, 01:09 AM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(chrischiang @ Jun 11 2021, 04:29 PM)
wasn't sure what is your purpose
so just put a bmw badge in front of you for reaction
a used 2 door bmw can wayang better than the ones you've stated
mini's aren't that much mechanically different from bmw's nowadays
just like the 328 and 320 aren't that much different from each other

ur insurance part oso no details
seriously if u wan a good answer give the details
chrischiang
post Jun 12 2021, 02:37 AM

Regular
1,069 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Jun 12 2021, 01:09 AM)
wasn't sure what is your purpose
so just put a bmw badge in front of you for reaction
a used 2 door bmw can wayang better than the ones you've stated
mini's aren't that much mechanically different from bmw's nowadays
just like the 328 and 320 aren't that much different from each other

ur insurance part oso no details
seriously if u wan a good answer give the details
i dwn a car for wayang? i wan a fun car? 328 and 320 quite abit of performance difference for stock..
never test drive the car u recommended before, for 420i vs mini jcw although both having same B48 engine but jcw have a slightly diff piston and lower compression ratio which allow higher hp/torque.
not to mentioned getting 4 pot jcw brembo brake vs single pot on 420i and all the jcw stuff like semi bucket seat, coilover, exhaust rather than fake m performance body kit..

my current car insurance due sept, 55% ncd, not selling, will still own by me...
Can i do as below :
1) renew my current car insurance during aug/sept with 55% ncd
2) purchase new car during sept/oct and transfer the 55% ncd

zenix
post Jun 12 2021, 03:58 PM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(chrischiang @ Jun 12 2021, 02:37 AM)

328 and 320 are mechanically very similar.
the power difference can easily be gapped with tuning.
328 does come with better creature comforts inside and better brake kit.
however, end of the day they're 4 door fast in straight saloons and ain't "fun cars".

420i wouldn't be categorized as fun either but it is quick enough.
no doubt the JCW is going to be better than a base 420i.
but it is never going to be an M4, let's make that clear.
there is a reason why the highest spec jcw is still almost half the price of the m4.
so jcw is a good in-between the 3-series and 4-series, and proper M cars.

if you like cute pocket rockets, then i think the JCW and Suzuki Swift Sport ZC33S would be the ideal choice base on your budget and requirement.

if for the money you need a family sedan that can almost do it all then consider Toyota Mark X.
FR driving dynamics and a solid v6 engine means it can be fun yet pocket friendly.

2014 Renault Clio RS200 - would have similar dynamics as the SSS at half the price.

insurance is dependent on the price of the car and cc, not leaving out those details it is abit difficult to explain.

50k car 1401-1650cc with 55% discount = rm700
same without discount is = rm1500

135k car 0cc-2000cc with 55% discount = rm1600-1750

so if you're puttering around in a myvi now and have been paying 700 to renew insurance, if it still affordable to pay > rm3000 when you have two cars?
LevelUp_Macha
post Jun 13 2021, 10:32 AM

35 posts

Hi, I am looking for upgrade from 1st gen MyVI 1.3. I love how reliable and cheap to maintain it. I am a person who likes interior design than exterior of the car. So X50 and x70 interior does caught my eye but unfortunately it is not a sedan. So please recommend me the next best thing.

1. Brand : Any - not Perodua
2. Budget : max 100k
3. New/Used/Unreg : any
4. Specs : -
5. Transmission : Auto
6. NA or FI : NA
7. Type : 4 seater, sedan
8. Remarks : Interior, reliability and safety

This post has been edited by LevelUp_Macha: Jun 13 2021, 10:42 AM
dogbert_chew
post Jun 13 2021, 04:46 PM

Regular
1,126 posts

QUOTE(LevelUp_Macha @ Jun 13 2021, 10:32 AM)
upgrade MyVI 1.3.
reliable and cheap to maintain
likes interior design than exterior of the car.
X50 and x70 interior does caught my eye
sedan.

6. NA or FI :  NA
Upgrade from 1.3 is likely 1.5NA
Reliable and low maintenance recommend buy new & exclude German.
Sedan No Perodua
Interior design subjected to personal taste

Only 4 (new) Sedans meet the criteria stated.
Almera, Vios, City, Persona.

Second hand models wait others to comment.
LevelUp_Macha
post Jun 13 2021, 07:58 PM

35 posts

QUOTE(dogbert_chew @ Jun 13 2021, 04:46 PM)
Upgrade from 1.3 is likely 1.5NA
Reliable and low maintenance recommend buy new & exclude German.
Sedan No Perodua
Interior design subjected to personal taste

Only 4 (new) Sedans meet the criteria stated.
Almera, Vios, City, Persona.

Second hand models wait others to comment.
I have a Honda City as second car actually but at different state. I just need it to be reliables and parts available. If slightly more expensive to maintain than Honda City is okay for me. I am okay with 2nd hand cars as well.
chrischiang
post Jun 13 2021, 10:55 PM

Regular
1,069 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Jun 12 2021, 03:58 PM)
[/spoiler]

328 and 320 are mechanically very similar.
the power difference can easily be gapped with tuning.
328 does come with better creature comforts inside and better brake kit.
however, end of the day they're 4 door fast in straight saloons and ain't "fun cars".

420i wouldn't be categorized as fun either but it is quick enough.
no doubt the JCW is going to be better than a base 420i.
but it is never going to be an M4, let's make that clear.
there is a reason why the highest spec jcw is still almost half the price of the m4.
so jcw is a good in-between the 3-series and 4-series, and proper M cars.

if you like cute pocket rockets, then i think the JCW and Suzuki Swift Sport ZC33S would be the ideal choice base on your budget and requirement.

if for the money you need a family sedan that can almost do it all then consider Toyota Mark X.
FR driving dynamics and a solid v6 engine means it can be fun yet pocket friendly.

2014 Renault Clio RS200 - would have similar dynamics as the SSS at half the price.

insurance is dependent on the price of the car and cc, not leaving out those details it is abit difficult to explain.

50k car 1401-1650cc with 55% discount = rm700
same without discount is = rm1500

135k car 0cc-2000cc with 55% discount = rm1600-1750

so if you're puttering around in a myvi now and have been paying 700 to renew insurance, if it still affordable to pay > rm3000 when you have two cars?
yup thanks for your suggestion! In the first place, i never think bout owning a M.. cant afford 1 yet..
drove cooper s before, renting 1 on socar.. going to test drive jcw and suzuki swift sport after this fmco.. hope dont delay any longer...

oh is not about the price for insurance, im perfectly comfortable to pay up the estimated insurance..
my question is can i transfer the ncd to new car then again enjoy 55% discount for the first year..

sept 2021 current car --> renew with 55%ncd
oct 2021 bought new car --> transfer 55%ncd and pay discounted insurance price <-- this part im not sure can i do this?

sept 2022 current car --> insurance with no ncd discount full price
oct 2022 new car --> renew with 55%ncd discount
zenix
post Jun 13 2021, 11:50 PM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

Mazda3 used or Mazda2 new.

QUOTE(chrischiang @ Jun 13 2021, 10:55 PM)

i think this will explain better
https://www.getdrivemark.com/my/no-claim-di...sia-car-owners/

darude87
post Jun 15 2021, 02:39 PM

hhhoooiii!!!
1,407 posts

good day folks

I am currently driving a myvi 1.5 SE as my daily drive. I love how it performs in town, and the low maintenance, however I think I need a better ride for highway when I travel outstations. My next ride I want something drives better as in stability and comfort on highway, still hesitating between a Seg c or a Seg D. If Seg C i think I may consider a new, for Seg D i will need to look at second hand. I think i will prefer something as reliable as my myvi and the maintenance is not something will break my wallet like a conti.

Budget wise, i think i prefer to keep it below 100k if possible, but if it is needed, i might go for a longer loan for brand new Seg C which is around 130k max

So far cars that I had short listed are as below

1. Camry 2.0 (looking at year 2016 or onwards)
2. Altis (not sure if i want a new or second hand)

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

This post has been edited by darude87: Jun 15 2021, 02:54 PM
dogbert_chew
post Jun 15 2021, 04:25 PM

Regular
1,126 posts

QUOTE(darude87 @ Jun 15 2021, 02:39 PM)

Curious, have you considered

1. Mazda ?
2. New Corolla Cross on the latest platform.

Also what do u think about the X70 ?
As an alternative 7 seater as well when Myvi too small to carry bulk.
mdziaf
post Jun 15 2021, 07:09 PM

Getting Started
78 posts

QUOTE(darude87 @ Jun 15 2021, 02:39 PM)
good day folks

I am currently driving a myvi 1.5 SE as my daily drive. I love how it performs in town, and the low maintenance, however I think I need a better ride for highway when I travel outstations. My next ride I want something drives better as in stability and comfort on highway, still hesitating between a Seg c or a Seg D. If Seg C i think I may consider a new, for Seg D i will need to look at second hand. I think i will prefer something as reliable as my myvi and the maintenance is not something will break my wallet like a conti.

Budget wise, i think i prefer to keep it below 100k if possible, but if it is needed, i might go for a longer loan for brand new Seg C which is around 130k max
So far cars that I had short listed are as below

Probably a silly question to you but how soon do you expect to be travelling outstation? If you are looking at second hand purchase you can wait a while still. Theres no tax breaks to catch 😉

Below 100k with good enjoyable drive would be the Hyundai Ioniq. Can get it from the hyundai preowned which would give a good peace of mind.

darude87
post Jun 15 2021, 09:52 PM

hhhoooiii!!!
1,407 posts

QUOTE(dogbert_chew @ Jun 15 2021, 04:25 PM)
Curious,  have you considered

1. Mazda ?
2. New Corolla Cross on the latest platform.

Also what do u think about the X70 ?
As an alternative 7 seater as well when Myvi too small to carry bulk.
love Mazda 6 aesthetic, but heard from my ex boss maintenance is on the high side, mazda 3 interior a bit too small to my liking
corolla cross outlook doesn't attract me for some reason

i went n checked on both x50 and x70, they looks good, but the wait time seems long. I am not fond to 7 seater at the moment laugh.gif

QUOTE(mdziaf @ Jun 15 2021, 07:09 PM)
Probably a silly question to you but how soon do you expect to be travelling outstation? If you are looking at second hand purchase you can wait  a while still. Theres no tax breaks to catch 😉

Below 100k with good enjoyable drive would be the Hyundai Ioniq. Can get it from the hyundai preowned which would give a good peace of mind.
now i would say no longer that rush, i used to have the urgency but some incident happened to my family, and i no longer have space issue at least for now

i did had a look at ioniq, looks good, but I'm a bit afraid on the hybrid battery replacement cost in the future.
KenYoung
post Jun 16 2021, 10:56 PM

On my way
661 posts

Hi, I am looking for upgrade from 1st gen MyVI 1.3. I love how reliable and cheap to maintain it. I am a person who likes interior design than exterior of the car. So X50 and x70 interior does caught my eye but unfortunately it is not a sedan. So please recommend me the next best thing.

3. New/Used/Unreg : any
4. Specs : -
6. NA or FI :  NA
Hahahhah... We r in the same boat high five! I'm in my 2008 sxi myvi.....
To add on also is comfort is a must!

Otws Any other all quite similar! Exterior wise quite subjective but others all quite same!

Example:
1. Brand : any Japanese/local

2. Budget : 100k+-

3. New/Used/Unreg : new

4. Specs : mid to full

5. Transmission : auto

6. NA or FI : NA?

7. Type : 5 seater

8. Remarks : comfort is a must - x50 /x 70 is what caught my eye but I want to check out what else I can explore.. Maintenance and resale value is consideration as well... Have been told x70 backseat not that comfortable even for trip to kl to ipoh - 2 adult 1 adolescent?
Are Korean cars out due of my consideration?

This post has been edited by KenYoung: Jun 17 2021, 12:41 AM
dogbert_chew
post Jun 17 2021, 01:30 PM

Regular
1,126 posts

QUOTE(KenYoung @ Jun 16 2021, 10:56 PM)

.. Have been told  x70 backseat not that comfortable even for trip to kl to ipoh - 2 adult 1 adolescent?

Have you or Macha gone to test out the Geely models (when MCO permits) ?

Try test drive Vios, Almera, City even Ativa as well when you can to make a better purchase decision.

After test drives, then perhaps can comment here for further feedback.

340 Pages « < 264 265 266 267 268 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0349sec    0.62    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:27 AM