Plan to buy a NEW/USED car?(V3),, ASK HERE for recommendations

views

RoundShells
post May 5 2021, 11:18 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ May 4 2021, 11:33 PM)
[/spoiler]

see my reply up top for vw vento/polo
I see. As you said VW does have the 'reputation' of being a conti, which usually comes with the higher maintenance cost compared to asian equivalents like T/H, so it feels pretty off-putting to think about a Vento. However I think the warranty for VW is only 3 years my dad says cuz he owns a Polo, so I can't find one that's still under warranty and within my budget.

Thanks for the insight though!

QUOTE(dogbert_chew @ May 5 2021, 12:31 AM)
No one will sell budget range cars within a few years. Luxury cars yes cos they can afford to ignore the depreciation and are not tied down w loans.

At these price range, those available and still within warranty are likely to be lemons or accident/flood units. Hence, your strategy to look for such Gems will take time and knowledge.

The concern here would be if you can't spot them as lemons (being your first car? And not having specialized knowledge of particular makes eg Volkswagen) you might face unnecessary headache if taken for a ride by unscrupulous sellers or dealers of which there are plenty.

Hence, concerned /k members usually suggest new.
Such as Saga Std Auto 36K w 5yr warranty and should meet your 60km daily requirement easily
Hmm okay, if its is an accident/flood unit then I have to take extra care or to bring an independent mechanic to inspect the car for such signs. Extra cost and time.

If it's a lemon unit however, that's where the warranty can come in, isn't it? Though I suppose it can be a hassle and well, if we're talking about the Saga I've heard horror stories regarding their SC, so that's another potential headache.

As you said, it seems I need to bring someone in to check as well, or just go new route for peace of mind. Since I'm not in a rush I should take the time first to learn the signs and whatnot. Just trying to find out my options for now.

Thanks a lot for the help!
pqchook P
post May 6 2021, 10:11 AM

Probation
17 posts

QUOTE(dogbert_chew @ May 5 2021, 12:31 AM)
No one will sell budget range cars within a few years. Luxury cars yes cos they can afford to ignore the depreciation and are not tied down w loans.

At these price range, those available and still within warranty are likely to be lemons or accident/flood units. Hence, your strategy to look for such Gems will take time and knowledge.

The concern here would be if you can't spot them as lemons (being your first car? And not having specialized knowledge of particular makes eg Volkswagen) you might face unnecessary headache if taken for a ride by unscrupulous sellers or dealers of which there are plenty.

Hence, concerned /k members usually suggest new.
Such as Saga Std Auto 36K w 5yr warranty and should meet your 60km daily requirement easily
Best bet is to get a 3,4 yr Iriz 1.6. Plenty of power and planted at medium triple digit speed.

dogbert_chew
post May 6 2021, 10:35 AM

Regular
1,126 posts

QUOTE(pqchook @ May 6 2021, 10:11 AM)
Best bet is to get a 3,4 yr Iriz 1.6. Plenty of power and planted at medium triple digit speed.
Actually myself looking for 1.6 manual

https://m.mudah.my/view?ad_id=90164080&adsb..._id=2&type=sell

Any comments anyone for this unit?
lawrencehl
post May 7 2021, 10:53 PM

Casual
341 posts

Hi guys is this a good deal?

Or other better suggestion? Looking for best value and bulletproof car

https://www.mudah.my/2018+Volkswagen+VENTO+...TY-89578096.htm

This post has been edited by lawrencehl: May 7 2021, 10:53 PM
6UE5T
post May 8 2021, 12:07 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(lawrencehl @ May 7 2021, 10:53 PM)
Hi guys is this a good deal?

Or other better suggestion? Looking for best value and bulletproof car

https://www.mudah.my/2018+Volkswagen+VENTO+...TY-89578096.htm
VW is never a bulletproof car! 😆 Just buy Toyota if you want such a car.
lawrencehl
post May 8 2021, 08:17 AM

Casual
341 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ May 8 2021, 12:07 AM)
VW is never a bulletproof car! 😆 Just buy Toyota if you want such a car.
Then how about 2014-2015 Altis, used Yaris?

Or better get a new Ativa? Budget 60-70k

This post has been edited by lawrencehl: May 8 2021, 08:31 AM
Jay Chua CC
post May 8 2021, 10:04 AM

~Dont settle for good. Demand great~
5,907 posts

QUOTE(focusrite @ Apr 30 2021, 12:12 PM)
hmm, i was thinking of spending about 1k for soundproofing the car then another 1k on quiet tyres
Mazda 6 tyres will set you around 1.5 upwards. Quiet good ones 4pcs already more than 2k.
Soundproofing 1k>? just forget it. decent ones around 3k upwards
dogbert_chew
post May 8 2021, 01:56 PM

Regular
1,126 posts

QUOTE(lawrencehl @ May 8 2021, 08:17 AM)
Then how about 2014-2015 Altis, used Yaris?

Or better get a new Ativa? Budget 60-70k
Choice varies from sedan to hatchback to SUV
And from used to new.

What would be the usage of your vehicle?
Single occupancy, family, city or highway, daily distance KM..

Priorities?
safety, comfort, fuel economy, handling, stability, maintenance cost, good service centre,resale value..

Financial?
Purchase 60-70K, Running cost, Maintenance

lawrencehl
post May 8 2021, 08:23 PM

Casual
341 posts

QUOTE(dogbert_chew @ May 8 2021, 01:56 PM)
Choice varies from sedan to hatchback to SUV
And from used to new.

What would be the usage of your vehicle?
Single occupancy, family, city or highway, daily distance KM..

Priorities?
safety, comfort, fuel economy, handling, stability, maintenance cost, good service centre,resale value..

Financial?
Purchase 60-70K, Running cost, Maintenance
Usage 90% city ,avg daily<20km

Low maintenance & repair cost, reliable, plan to use at least 5 years, plan after 2,3 years to have kid

Prefer monthly expense below 1k, means include installment, maintenance(yearly maintenance/12) ,insurance, exclude petrol

Btw I'm staying at Penang, notice that have some price difference compared to KL

Thanks for the reply

This post has been edited by lawrencehl: May 8 2021, 08:25 PM
dogbert_chew
post May 8 2021, 08:53 PM

Regular
1,126 posts

QUOTE(lawrencehl @ May 8 2021, 08:23 PM)
Usage 90% city ,avg daily<20km

Low maintenance & repair cost, reliable, plan to use at least 5 years, plan after 2,3 years to have kid

Prefer monthly expense below 1k, means include installment, maintenance(yearly maintenance/12) ,insurance, exclude petrol

Suggest 2nd hand cheap but reliable car for daily use until baby arrives. If you are not familiar with cars, then any new entry level Proton or Perodua will give u 5 year warranty for peace of mind. Daily 20KM is damn little, I would ride my scooter wink.gif on congested Pg Island roads, mainland perhaps not due to too many heavy vehicles.

Meanwhile, can start saving for bigger, safer car that will cater for kids in future.

zenix
post May 10 2021, 06:29 PM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(RoundShells @ May 5 2021, 11:18 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

nothing is without it's pros and cons.

T&H has obvious pros with most of their range being reliable and cheap to maintain.
This in turn creates demand for secondary market thus you'll never find a cheap used T&H unless buying from relatives.

The reason why I propose the Vento to people looking for a deal is usually because it's used price drops like a rock so i wouldn't recommend it as a new car purchase but as a used car or picking up a pre-reg/demo car/fleet car that has been used for abit but still has warranty but without high mileage and price is cheap then why not.

What's your budget?

QUOTE(lawrencehl @ May 7 2021, 10:53 PM)

If you're looking for a deal then the Vento is something you can consider, however with the tax holiday even many of the pre-regs and demo cars have been cleared so now you're looking for something similar it is a used car. However, if you want peace of mind and don't mind a hatch then for 45k you can always pickup Myvi mid-spec.

lawrencehl
post May 10 2021, 10:10 PM

Casual
341 posts

QUOTE(dogbert_chew @ May 8 2021, 08:53 PM)
Suggest 2nd hand cheap but reliable car for daily use until baby arrives. If you are not familiar with cars, then any new entry level Proton or Perodua will give u 5 year warranty for peace of mind. Daily 20KM is damn little, I would ride my scooter wink.gif on congested Pg Island roads, mainland perhaps not due to too many heavy vehicles.

Meanwhile, can start saving for bigger, safer car that will cater for kids in future.
I have a scooter but sometimes need back to Hometown so I still need a car
QUOTE(zenix @ May 10 2021, 06:29 PM)
[/spoiler]

nothing is without it's pros and cons.

T&H has obvious pros with most of their range being reliable and cheap to maintain.
This in turn creates demand for secondary market thus you'll never find a cheap used T&H unless buying from relatives.

The reason why I propose the Vento to people looking for a deal is usually because it's used price drops like a rock so i wouldn't recommend it as a new car purchase but as a used car or picking up a pre-reg/demo car/fleet car that has been used for abit but still has warranty but without high mileage and price is cheap then why not.

What's your budget?

[/spoiler]

If you're looking for a deal then the Vento is something you can consider, however with the tax holiday even many of the pre-regs and demo cars have been cleared so now you're looking for something similar it is a used car. However, if you want peace of mind and don't mind a hatch then for 45k you can always pickup Myvi mid-spec.
In this price range myvi seems to be a good choice, any comment about Ativa low spec?

This post has been edited by lawrencehl: May 10 2021, 10:33 PM
dogbert_chew
post May 10 2021, 11:14 PM

Regular
1,126 posts

QUOTE(lawrencehl @ May 10 2021, 10:10 PM)

In this price range myvi seems to be a good choice, any comment about Ativa low spec?
Ativa X 62K (till Jun2021) has better handling than the stock Myvi due to its DNGA platform. A plethora of safety systems even for lowest spec that should keep the average driver happy.

Apart from the big boot (to fit the 16/17" full size spare), interior is about Axia size, the rear seats has 3cm less leg room than the Myvi. Almost fold flat seats when storage takes precedence.

Love the 1KR-VET engine after the initial takeoff as it pulls strongly from low rpm when turbo kicks in making it a breeze to drive in city. Highway speed is surprisingly stable as well as mentioned earlier, have tested it above 160 kmh no issue with its advance dual belt/gear transmission combo giving 16-17km/l mix town/ highway.

Pay extra 7K over the Myvi AV for the new chassis/ platform providing a higher ride with greater ground clearance for slight floods. Else the Myvi and its cheaper (less safety items) variants should suffice.
girl87
post May 11 2021, 12:23 PM

1 posts

Hi everyone, need some recommendation please. Undecided between these 3

1. Brand : Suzuki Swift 2012 / Perodua Myvi 2012-2016 / Perodua Axia 2014-2017
2. Budget : RM30k
3. New/Used/Unreg. : Used
4. Specs : -
5. Transmission : Auto
6. NA or FI : -
7. Type : No preference

8. Remarks :

This will personally be my first car but second car to the household. Just want something to fetch and send child to school. My husband's car (Honda City) will be used primarily.

I'm looking for a small car so initially i prefer Axia but some friends said comparing Axia to Myvi, its better to get Myvi as it is sturdier and the re-sell value is higher if there is a need to let go of the car later.

In terms of appearance i prefer Axia's look as it is also quite new (comparing to Myvi) as i feel Myvi has been around for ages and looks familiar/boring. So thats how i thought of Swift as i like the appearance (still look trendy) even though the interior is super basic.

So personally for me my ranking is Swift > Axia > Myvi

But besides look, obviously i need to take into consideration other more important issue and my main concern here is maintenance and cost for service/repair. Local car will be easier and cheaper i guess? Also since Suzuki no more here, is it actually harder to get parts and did the maintenance price go up as well or actually not much difference?

I'm a damn noob and have no interest in cars at all but since i need to get one now, hope someone can advice me on this? If anyone can give me the standard maintenance amount also would be helpful.

Thanks! notworthy.gif

whphon
post May 11 2021, 12:25 PM

Getting Started
151 posts

jangan beli sekarang, ekonomi turun lagi kerana kita punya government suka mco
dogbert_chew
post May 11 2021, 02:01 PM

Regular
1,126 posts

QUOTE(girl87 @ May 11 2021, 12:23 PM)

1. Brand : Suzuki Swift 2012 / Perodua Myvi 2012-2016 / Perodua Axia 2014-2017
2. Budget : RM30k
3. New/Used/Unreg. : Used
5. Transmission : Auto

Just want something to fetch and send child to school.

I'm looking for a small car

so initially i prefer Axia

In terms of appearance i prefer Axia's look

So thats how i thought of Swift as i like the appearance (still look trendy) even though the interior is super basic

my main concern here is maintenance and cost for service/repair. Local car will be easier and cheaper

Also since Suzuki no more here, is it actually harder to get parts and did the maintenance price go up as well

New Axia Standard G (AT) RM33K 5 year warranty

Since you are new to cars and also fetching kid, chances of a new car breaking down is very much lower (compared to 2012 car). Less worry for you and husband too.

zenix
post May 11 2021, 09:39 PM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(lawrencehl @ May 10 2021, 10:10 PM)

Ativa has many plusses since it is an all-new platform.
So it has better safety features, autonomous features, lighting, design, engine, etc.
However, in terms of space the Myvi will be more roomier inside, long waiting period for Ativa (if u wanna make the tax holiday period), suspension rattling issue complained by first adopters is unknown factor with no known fixes yet informed by P2, new gearbox and engine are good now but untested for long term reliability.

Plus you gotta shell out extra budget for it.

Currently at 45k level you can choose either:
1. Used VW Vento - yesteryear spec so it is good for what it is and still have warranty but don't have big expectations.
2. New Myvi/Axia - depends u need the space or not.
3. New Bezza - if u ok wif Axia space but want a sedan.

The ones above will have warranty and are considered less headache type of vehicles.

Though if you need a deal for Vento or new Proton cars do PM me, lemme see if my sources have anything.
I do know that Proton has stock for PIES (not that kinda pies devil.gif it is Persona, Iriz, Exora, Saga) if you're inclined for those cars.

QUOTE(girl87 @ May 11 2021, 12:23 PM)

"Sturdier and better resale value" might be true for new car but you're buying a used car so let's say you use it for another 3 years that means your 2016 Myvi is going to be an 8 years old car and 3rd hand not second hand, it doesn't matter. When cars are nearing the 10 years mark resale value doesn't really matter anymore. Don't believe me? Just look up a 10 year old Toyota Vios and a 10 year old Mazda 2, the difference isn't that much especially when you compare top spec to top spec.

Suzuki is back and they're under Naza group now but since Naza group did quite a bad job for Peugeot and Kia and had to let it go to Berjaya don't expect Suzuki to do well, not the vehicle itself as I think Suzuki Japan makes decent cars but the aftersales service from Naza group is suspect.

I suggest since you're not a car person just get something new.

Saga lowest spec is about 35k for the auto, which I think is a decent. Axia lowest spec is about 33k for the auto, and if you want a sedan the Bezza is available for an additional 1k, the prices are OTR prices taken from the respective brand's website. There is no reason to not top up that addition 5k to get a new car even the lowest spec one because you are guaranteed a new car that is in working condition with full warranty and OTR price is everything included no additional except for tinted, this is because when you take even a 5year loan the difference between 30k loan and 35k loan isn't much on your monthly repayment.

So get those and have peace of mind.
J1g54w
post May 15 2021, 05:13 PM

Regular
1,449 posts

What are some of the best choices if I'm looking for a used car + pimping? (accessories + beautification).

Budget not a concern, but must be used and worth pimping. New car very waste to pimp.

This post has been edited by J1g54w: May 15 2021, 05:14 PM
xtracooljustin
post May 15 2021, 10:09 PM

Joining the 1K Club
1,602 posts

QUOTE(J1g54w @ May 15 2021, 05:13 PM)
What are some of the best choices if I'm looking for a used car + pimping? (accessories + beautification).

Budget not a concern, but must be used and worth pimping. New car very waste to pimp.
so open ended your request. there are literally thousands of cars to pimp then.

if it was me, probably a E46 coupe and do it up to Need For Speed Most Wanted M3 GTR outlook.
cruizer
post May 16 2021, 02:50 AM

30 posts

QUOTE(J1g54w @ May 15 2021, 05:13 PM)

Interesting!
Too ambiguous and unable to understand your taste. In no particular order and not my personal choice of line up. I'm into classic builts.
Anyways here's some suggestions for thought:

1. E30 - Loads of power and yet options to style it that would never go wrong.

2. Mini hatch - the go to car for splashing any colour and stickers onto it that could go from rally to adventure to sporty

3. Ford Raptor - ruggard 4x4 that'll make you want to go extreme in either lowering it or a new set of bigger wheels plus that fierce paint job you wanted.

4. Audi R8 - rims, colour and GT spoiler!

5. Toyota Camry 2020 - as odd as it may seem, but when you follow the grill lines the possibilities are unique to it and slap on the GT lowered. It's a marquee!

6. Jaguar F type - any colour and perhaps a 20' plus skirting!

7. Ford Mustang - you pick and go play

8. Volkswagen beetle (classic/new) - both are fun to drive and pimp to your heart's desire.

9. Toyota 86 - not much to pimp but colours and rims makes it

10. W201 190E cosworth - if you're into old school.

Have fun and no worries if anyone wish to condemn this list!

340 Pages « < 262 263 264 265 266 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0196sec    0.44    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:35 PM