Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Plan to buy a NEW/USED car?(V3),, ASK HERE for recommendations

views

kykylala
post Aug 11 2019, 05:53 PM

12 posts

Hello, I'm looking for a fun car they doesn't dent the wallet too much with the occasional balik kampung. For daily commute I ride my bike or my Myvi. Currently looking at Proton Inspira and wondering if there are other choices available. Not carrying passenger so space is not a main concern.

1. Brand: non conti
2. Budget: up to 65k
3. New/Used/Unreg. Any
4. Specs: as good as it can get
5. Transmission: Automatic
6. NA or FI: any
7. Type: Sedan
chronic_gam3r
post Aug 12 2019, 07:10 AM

33 posts

Hi there. Would you recommend honda city hybrid over the petrol version city? I tested drive both cars & have fall in love with the driving experience for hybrid. Damn good man.

However my concern would be on the long run. Is it reliable & cheap to maintain? Appreciate views from the sifu here.
zenix
post Aug 12 2019, 03:49 PM

Pirate Captain
5,593 posts

QUOTE(kykylala @ Aug 11 2019, 05:53 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

since it is going to be an extra and toy, why not consider a conti?

QUOTE(chronic_gam3r @ Aug 12 2019, 07:10 AM)

cars are like girls, the boring ones will be pocket friendly, the exciting ones will burn your pocket.

the regular city is plenty quick but of course it doesn't have an electric motor giving you that extra kick in pickup.
if compared to its peers in the B-segment there is no other car that gives you this kind of performance and space.
although Almera does have a stretch body which gives similar space but it's performance isn't on par.

spec wise is another issue, city has 3 spec: low, mid: high.
the hybrid's spec (not counting the hybrid system) matches the mid spec models.
while it's price is about the same as the high spec version.

honda hybrid's are pretty reliable, they've been around since Jazz Hybrid, Civic Hybrid, etc. at least 5 years ago.
so whats the verdict? well, honda's hybrid is somewhat reliable as not many complaints have hit the public's eye.
and they've also reduced the battery and other hybrid component replacement prices, so previously replacement batteries cost 20k then 10k then 5k, it's about under 2k nowadays depending on model. however no matter the current price, if you choose a petrol version you wouldn't need to consider/budget for this part at all so that's 100% cost savings. but that is the price to pay for that extra kick in power when the hybrid system assists the engine.

once big drawback for hybrids especially in the context of malaysia is resale value.
hybrids no matter the brand have terrible resale value, similarly cars that have high cc engine.
this is because generally the used car buyers are cheapskates so they like high-spec cars but they don't want hybrid/turbo/high cc coz scare high maintenance.
thus it may come as a surprise that when it comes time to sell it on later your hybrid might be about the mid spec RV at best.
for the civic hybrid it has worst RV than even the low spec civic 1.8 variant.

kykylala
post Aug 12 2019, 10:36 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Aug 12 2019, 03:49 PM)

Nothing against conti cars to be honest. But given the budget I'm trying to strike a balance between RM and fun. And yeah, the VW vento is very tempting.
Pain4UrsinZ
post Aug 14 2019, 12:49 PM

Regular
1,301 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Aug 4 2019, 11:54 PM)
[/spoiler]

4300 is net salary you receive after deductions
2800 is net salary after rent/food/etc commitments
how much of that 2800 can you commit to a car?

[/spoiler]

2014 Renault Fluence 2.0 - if you're looking for a budget C-segment then you may want to consider this car. Exterior and interior looks different but trust me internals are all the same as Nissan Sylphy so you get the  best of both worlds. Conti look and feel, but Japanese car reliability and cheapness to maintain.

2015 Nissan Sylphy 2.0 - or you might want to consider the Nissan version, frankly if you ask me the exterior already quite ugly then the interior beige color really *puke* so i really suggest the Fluence more.
is it good to get a Fluence ? heard problematic gearbox cost casg bomb
amscouzach57
post Aug 14 2019, 07:04 PM

39 posts

QUOTE(wespaw @ Aug 8 2019, 01:33 PM)
Around how much would be the maintenance cost for Kia cerato? and spec wise? I test drive 2013 model and I agree the steering wheel is too light.
So far the most I've paid during scheduled maintenance was a little over rm1k. But that was a really major service. If I'm not mistaken only twice I have to pay that amount.
zenix
post Aug 15 2019, 03:30 AM

Pirate Captain
5,593 posts

QUOTE(kykylala @ Aug 12 2019, 10:36 PM)

A nice fun car would be like a Passat.
Cheap 4-5 year old cars.
May have problems but not too expensive to fix if you know where to do it.
Plus as your 3rd vehicle should be ok.

QUOTE(Pain4UrsinZ @ Aug 14 2019, 12:49 PM)

It is common knowledge since the Renault-Nissan alliance they've normalized each other.
Nissan used to make good cars but ugly ones, still makes ugly ones but nowadays with poorer quality.
Renault started putting more Nissan parts into their cars and seem to be more reliable.
Overall can't really complain since both companies throw prices like crazy so some corners cut is to be expected.

Anyway gearbox is a small issue that can be fixed with an oil cooler.

QUOTE(amscouzach57 @ Aug 14 2019, 07:04 PM)

that is pretty common for service prices from authorized workshops or 3S.
nowadays for Toyota & Honda major service is between RM600-1200 depending on model.

min402
post Aug 16 2019, 01:00 PM

47 posts

1. Brand.: Prefer Jap or National brand
2. Budget. : 30k (lower better i guess)
3. New/Used/Unreg. New/Used/Unreg doesnt matter
4. Specs. : 1.3 minimum?
5. Transmission. : Automatic
6. NA or FI ? : Doesnt matter
7. Type.: Sedan or Compact (with that budget i dont think can get SUV lol)
8. Remarks. : just got relocated to Peninsular this month (from Swak) looking for a cheap reliable car to move around. I can use our company car but only if its not used by other ppl which is most of the time.

i was looking at the new Proton Saga 2019 facelift. Even though more than my budget but considering it is new (5 years warranty = peace of mind?) anyway, if i can get a better bargain from 2nd hand market i dont mind also. might be good if i can get a better specced ones than the proton i guess.

Thanks in advance for the recommendation

6UE5T
post Aug 16 2019, 11:33 PM

Casual
369 posts

QUOTE(kykylala @ Aug 11 2019, 05:53 PM)
Hello, I'm looking for a fun car they doesn't dent the wallet too much with the occasional balik kampung. For daily commute I ride my bike or my Myvi. Currently looking at Proton Inspira and wondering if there are other choices available. Not carrying passenger so space is not a main concern.

1. Brand: non conti
2. Budget: up to 65k
3. New/Used/Unreg. Any
4. Specs: as good as it can get
5. Transmission: Automatic
6. NA or FI: any
7. Type: Sedan
2009-2010 Toyota Mark X 250G, 202hp/245nm, 6sp, RWD, 0-100 under 8 secs, top speed 240+kph, very reliable, can drink Ron 95 and get 10-12km/ltr fuel consumption (700-800km full tank). Absolutely trounced the Proton Inspira!
chronic_gam3r
post Aug 17 2019, 08:38 AM

33 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Aug 12 2019, 03:49 PM)
[/spoiler]

since it is going to be an extra and toy, why not consider a conti?

[/spoiler]

cars are like girls, the boring ones will be pocket friendly, the exciting ones will burn your pocket.

the regular city is plenty quick but of course it doesn't have an electric motor giving you that extra kick in pickup.
if compared to its peers in the B-segment there is no other car that gives you this kind of performance and space.
although Almera does have a stretch body which gives similar space but it's performance isn't on par.

spec wise is another issue, city has 3 spec: low, mid: high.
the hybrid's spec (not counting the hybrid system) matches the mid spec models.
while it's price is about the same as the high spec version.

honda hybrid's are pretty reliable, they've been around since Jazz Hybrid, Civic Hybrid, etc. at least 5 years ago.
so whats the verdict? well, honda's hybrid is somewhat reliable as not many complaints have hit the public's eye.
and they've also reduced the battery and other hybrid component replacement prices, so previously replacement batteries cost 20k then 10k then 5k, it's about under 2k nowadays depending on model. however no matter the current price, if you choose a petrol version you wouldn't need to consider/budget for this part at all so that's 100% cost savings. but that is the price to pay for that extra kick in power when the hybrid system assists the engine.

once big drawback for hybrids especially in the context of malaysia is resale value.
hybrids no matter the brand have terrible resale value, similarly cars that have high cc engine.
this is because generally the used car buyers are cheapskates so they like high-spec cars but they don't want hybrid/turbo/high cc coz scare high maintenance.
thus it may come as a surprise that when it comes time to sell it on later your hybrid might be about the mid spec RV at best.
for the civic hybrid it has worst RV than even the low spec civic 1.8 variant.
Thank you sifu for the advice! Done my hybrid city purchase biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Oreoyh90
post Aug 19 2019, 01:54 PM

Getting Started
54 posts

Delete

This post has been edited by Oreoyh90: Aug 19 2019, 01:57 PM
WarCloud7
post Aug 21 2019, 03:22 PM

1 posts

Hi sifus,

Need some advice; plan to buy a used car in JB.

1. Brand - Japanese brands preferred for reliability but will consider others if the price & maintenance costs are roughly the same
2. Budget - RM20-35k (obviously the cheaper the better but willing to pay more for a newer car as it's more likely to be trouble free for a bit longer)
3. New/Used/Unreg; - Used (but not too old, maybe around 6-7 years old?)
4. Specs - Any
5. Transmission - Manual (for better fuel consumption but will consider Auto as well)
6. NA or FI - don't really care, as long as it doesn't affect fuel consumption or require high maintenance
7. Type - Sedan (for 2 adults and 1 child)
8. Remarks - basically for getting from point A to point B within JB, so don't need any frills like turbo, etc. Long distance drive only once or twice a year from JB to KL. Also, wondering whether it would be a good idea to get a used Toyota from Toyota (though might have to pay a bit more)?

Priority is reliability, fuel consumption and low running costs.

Thanks in advance!

This post has been edited by WarCloud7: Aug 21 2019, 03:24 PM

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0978sec    0.95    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd August 2019 - 03:47 AM