Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Plan to buy a NEW/USED car?(V3),, ASK HERE for recommendations

views

Financier
post Jun 9 2019, 10:40 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(zenix @ Jun 9 2019, 06:23 AM)
2013 Proton Satria Neo - i think this is a good starter car, it is a coupe so it is still quite stylish when you're picking up your lady friends, however it is very forgiving in terms of maintenance cost and ease of parts availability. Find those with the factory fitted R3 bodykit if you want aggressive looks but stay away from knock off bodykits they're unsafe and easily broken. The only ever issue with Proton cars from this era is the engine "makan minyak hitam" and not too fuel efficient but decent enough.

2011 BMW 116i - of course there are fancier cars to choose from like the BMW 1-series, it is a cute hatch. It doesn't scream racer boy yet isn't an old man's car. It isn't going to be cheap to maintain so maybe you can beg your dad to buy this so he can use it to enjoy the weekends  brows.gif

How about the new myvi or the used honda jazz? Heard both cars are nice to drive.

If I push my budget up to RM100k with 7 years loan (RM1300/month), what kinda car can I get?

Planning for the Volvo V40, but have no guts to buy it since Im afraid of maintenance.

Any other options besides the volvo?

This post has been edited by Financier: Jun 9 2019, 10:40 AM
zenix
post Jun 9 2019, 01:48 PM

Pirate Captain
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(enteraname1 @ Jun 9 2019, 09:23 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Proton makes decent cars nowadays in terms of build quality comparable to Perodua, however the latest Iriz is merely a facelift from the previous Iriz which used carryover technologies from it's bigger brother Preve/Suprima mainly engine platform and gearbox supplier. It uses the dated Campro engine platform and the miserable punch CVT gearbox, combines together you really need to "punch" the pedals to make it move that "helps" to make it a thirsty car but by design it isn't a very fuel efficient engine comparing with most other cars that don't carry the EEV status, e.g. older Toyota Vios, Mitsubishi Mirage/Attrage, VW Vento.

So let's say you don't mind the older campro engine techology even though it isn't so fuel efficient and eats engine oil coz you wanna be patriotic to support local engine design. But can you also stand the CVT gearbox that doesn't give good pickup and helps fuel efficiency either? Not local it's an Australian supplier. So lets say you don't mind all that coz you get a big discount for Iriz compared to Myvi/Axia/Bezza.

Next comes after sales service, imho the only good one from my personal experience is the center of excellence shakehead.gif
The after sales service for proton in general hasn't improved, once you sign the DO the salesman consider job done and assumes the after sales team will handle the rest but they've alot to improve on this.....I think Nissan has improved the most and generally Honda and Toyota are very good at this.

QUOTE(Ricky300 @ Jun 9 2019, 09:38 AM)
Proton bad? Perception problem...the latest iriz, persona and x70 are good
have you own a new proton in the last 3 years?
if not it's a perception problem.

QUOTE(Financier @ Jun 9 2019, 10:40 AM)

No money.....scare of learning about cars.....dowan to put effort to find good workshops or spare part shops = buy new local car like myvi or for 100k maybe mazda2.
Just drive, follow service manual for schedule maintenance for next 5 years free service, no need headache.
Don't talk about fun cars coz those you either need money or effort to maintain.
enteraname1
post Jun 9 2019, 02:30 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(zenix @ Jun 9 2019, 01:48 PM)
Proton makes decent cars nowadays in terms of build quality comparable to Perodua, however the latest Iriz is merely a facelift from the previous Iriz which used carryover technologies from it's bigger brother Preve/Suprima mainly engine platform and gearbox supplier. It uses the dated Campro engine platform and the miserable punch CVT gearbox, combines together you really need to "punch" the pedals to make it move that "helps" to make it a thirsty car but by design it isn't a very fuel efficient engine comparing with most other cars that don't carry the EEV status, e.g. older Toyota Vios, Mitsubishi Mirage/Attrage, VW Vento.

So let's say you don't mind the older campro engine techology even though it isn't so fuel efficient and eats engine oil coz you wanna be patriotic to support local engine design. But can you also stand the CVT gearbox that doesn't give good pickup and helps fuel efficiency either? Not local it's an Australian supplier. So lets say you don't mind all that coz you get a big discount for Iriz compared to Myvi/Axia/Bezza.

Next comes after sales service, imho the only good one from my personal experience is the center of excellence  shakehead.gif
The after sales service for proton in general hasn't improved, once you sign the DO the salesman consider job done and assumes the after sales team will handle the rest but they've alot to improve on this.....I think Nissan has improved the most and generally Honda and Toyota are very good at this.
TBH, im not a car person, i learnt all these since last week. (correct me if im wrong)
Yea, The FC is one of my concern. (Heavier car, i expected Iriz will drink fuel like water)
Second is Car Value, I learnt that car value for Proton will deprecate very rapidly compared to Peroduo
Third, Pricing, Compare to Myvi , Iriz is so much cheaper
Atm, I considering Myvi,Irizz,Bezza (cheaper than Myvi), Persona (cheap for 1.6cc)

This post has been edited by enteraname1: Jun 9 2019, 02:46 PM
Ricky300
post Jun 9 2019, 04:29 PM

Regular

QUOTE(zenix @ Jun 9 2019, 01:48 PM)
[/spoiler]

Next comes after sales service, imho the only good one from my personal experience is the center of excellence  shakehead.gif

[/spoiler]

No money.....scare of learning about cars.....dowan to put effort to find good workshops or spare part shops = buy new local car like myvi or for 100k maybe mazda2.
Just drive, follow service manual for schedule maintenance for next 5 years free service, no need headache.
Don't talk about fun cars coz those you either need money or effort to maintain.
Yes I have owned several Proton such as Suprima and Iriz.

Every car has its own pros & cons...Perodua focus primarily on fuel consumption while Proton more on driving pleasant and safety. My sister has a Myvi Lagi Best, I have tested the car but not in favor.

Generally ppl have this perception, local cars are no good. Especially Proton! Why? Squeaking sound, high fuel consumption and "Proton" badge. As for Perodua, general feedback will be the undeniable good fuel consumption...but they hardly talks about safety...but I do admit that Perodua has increased their safety tremendously
zenix
post Jun 9 2019, 11:31 PM

Pirate Captain

QUOTE(enteraname1 @ Jun 9 2019, 02:30 PM)

car weight is one thing but there are many factors such as engine power output and drivetrain power transfer.
as explained earlier, campro is older design based on proton's own R&D, input from Lotus and 4G series engine from Mitsubishi.
one of the thing older Mitsubishi cars (and Proton) suffer from was leaking engine oil (black oil), this seems to have not improved much in the campro engine.
secondly fuel consumption isn't very good for campro, would you want to buy a Persona because it has a 1600cc engine just for that status?
because you're only going to burn more petrol.

the first thing you need to ask yourself is what is the usage and what you're willing to spend on the car every month.
if your expectation besides petrol and scheduled maintenance you're not budgeting anything extra then it is better to just stick with new cars.
and of course cars which will be less problematic over the course of ownership.
and at the tail end of ownership will you be keeping the car longer than 7 years or trade-in earlier for another car, or maybe upgrade, or maybe need to cash out for something more important like house purchase/renovation/etc.
if that's the case then of course getting a car that won't depreciate as fast but easier to sell is key.

price are based on economics and market demand.
myvi has better merits and general perception it is a better car, thus depreciation and resale value is better.
when you say iriz is so much cheaper how much cheaper and are to comparing apple to apple specs.
granted it cannot be equal in most cases but at least compare like Iriz full spec vs myvi full spec.
if the discount is less than 5k it wouldn't do much to your monthly repayment. (assuming you're taking 90% loan).

short term iriz is pretty good deal, there are even pre-facelift stocks clearing at up to rm4000.
they're also giving away other goodies and stuff.
if you need a deal for proton lemme know i'll hook you up.
however, these may or may not offset the higher depreciation.
there is also no guarantee you get a more expensive myvi/bezza the depreciation over the next few years is better.
as these are market forces can't predict.
you only can have solace knowing if you bought the iriz it will edge out the myvi in terms of safety but the myvi will have
these are things that will not change due to market forces.

however aside from the car like i mentioned the service centers for proton aren't up to scratch yet.
if you don't wannabe a guinea pig then perodua is the way to go, less headache especially for new owners like u.

additionally, geely now owns proton and iriz is probably the last true proton that will be produced -- milking it while the car is still relevant.
i see them phasing out campro, punch gearboxes, etc. in favor of their own platform especially with the success of x70 and they're already showing off the x50.
once they introduce their models as RHD proton's it will be a quantum leap from the Saga, Iriz, Persona, Perdana we have now.

QUOTE(Ricky300 @ Jun 9 2019, 04:29 PM)

I've had Wira, SGTI and Saga BLM, even had a short stint with a Suprima.
I would say from my experience the best was the SGTI, however it is not a everyman kinda car.
So I would benchmark Proton's improvements from Wira to Saga BLM.
I would say overall proton has good cars, I think their R&D and manufacturing has done a great job.
Lets put aside the dated engine and weak gearbox -- overall good quality and specs. (Toyota Vios is pure garbage yet it's still favorable due to reliability and low maintenance cost -- so cars nowadays like u say got good/bad but what Toyota does really well is the customer experience)
However the one that never seem to have improved is the sales team and after sales team, except for COE.
I hear things changing with Geely ownership, so once they've improved the sales and after sales team then proton would be viable.
Still too many proton 3s with inexperience guys dunno what they doing wasting time, money and resources -- of worst case they give the "proton like this one" excuse.

I'm just trying to guide newbie towards the more reliable and pocket friendly perodua.

fastreader
post Jun 10 2019, 12:01 AM

SUPERB comment and knowledge sharing there @zenix ...
really enjoyed reading the comments and gaining knowledge from u, Sifu!!!
tbh, i had many times used the knowledge gathered here as conversation piece with others... flex.gif rclxm9.gif rclxm9.gif

Hope to personally meet u in person one day when I;m in the West...
enteraname1
post Jun 10 2019, 12:23 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(zenix @ Jun 9 2019, 11:31 PM)
[/spoiler]

car weight is one thing but there are many factors such as engine power output and drivetrain power transfer.
as explained earlier, campro is older design based on proton's own R&D, input from Lotus and 4G series engine from Mitsubishi.
one of the thing older Mitsubishi cars (and Proton) suffer from was leaking engine oil (black oil), this seems to have not improved much in the campro engine.
secondly fuel consumption isn't very good for campro, would you want to buy a Persona because it has a 1600cc engine just for that status?
because you're only going to burn more petrol.

the first thing you need to ask yourself is what is the usage and what you're willing to spend on the car every month.
if your expectation besides petrol and scheduled maintenance you're not budgeting anything extra then it is better to just stick with new cars.
and of course cars which will be less problematic over the course of ownership.
and at the tail end of ownership will you be keeping the car longer than 7 years or trade-in earlier for another car, or maybe upgrade, or maybe need to cash out for something more important like house purchase/renovation/etc.
if that's the case then of course getting a car that won't depreciate as fast but easier to sell is key.

price are based on economics and market demand.
myvi has better merits and general perception it is a better car, thus depreciation and resale value is better.
when you say iriz is so much cheaper how much cheaper and are to comparing apple to apple specs.
granted it cannot be equal in most cases but at least compare like Iriz full spec vs myvi full spec.
if the discount is less than 5k it wouldn't do much to your monthly repayment. (assuming you're taking 90% loan).

short term iriz is pretty good deal, there are even pre-facelift stocks clearing at up to rm4000.
they're also giving away other goodies and stuff.
if you need a deal for proton lemme know i'll hook you up.
however, these may or may not offset the higher depreciation.
there is also no guarantee you get a more expensive myvi/bezza the depreciation over the next few years is better.
as these are market forces can't predict.
you only can have solace knowing if you bought the iriz it will edge out the myvi in terms of safety but the myvi will have
these are things that will not change due to market forces.

however aside from the car like i mentioned the service centers for proton aren't up to scratch yet.
if you don't wannabe a guinea pig then perodua is the way to go, less headache especially for new owners like u.

additionally, geely now owns proton and iriz is probably the last true proton that will be produced -- milking it while the car is still relevant.
i see them phasing out campro, punch gearboxes, etc. in favor of their own platform especially with the success of x70 and they're already showing off the x50.
once they introduce their models as RHD proton's it will be a quantum leap from the Saga, Iriz, Persona, Perdana we have now.

[/spoiler]

I've had Wira, SGTI and Saga BLM, even had a short stint with a Suprima.
I would say from my experience the best was the SGTI, however it is not a everyman kinda car.
So I would benchmark Proton's improvements from Wira to Saga BLM.
I would say overall proton has good cars, I think their R&D and manufacturing has done a great job.
Lets put aside the dated engine and weak gearbox -- overall good quality and specs. (Toyota Vios is pure garbage yet it's still favorable due to reliability and low maintenance cost -- so cars nowadays like u say got good/bad but what Toyota does really well is the customer experience)
However the one that never seem to have improved is the sales team and after sales team, except for COE.
I hear things changing with Geely ownership, so once they've improved the sales and after sales team then proton would be viable.
Still too many proton 3s with inexperience guys dunno what they doing wasting time, money and resources -- of worst case they give the "proton like this one" excuse.

I'm just trying to guide newbie towards the more reliable and pocket friendly perodua.
Thank you very much for this detailed explanation. It gives me a better insight.
T06D14 P
post Jun 13 2019, 02:46 AM

Group: Probation

Hey! Can anyone give me advice on choosing a 2nd hand car to buy? my budget is within 14k. i shortlisted 2009/10 myvi ezi, proton waja cps, vios 2004/05 and altis 1.6 first batch. my priority is FC, safety, spare parts, maintenance(monthly expenditure) and resale value in 5 years from now. Mostly city use and travel from seremban to nilai too. Would appreciate some advice from owners of those cars i listed. Thanks in advance. biggrin.gif
Chrix
post Jun 13 2019, 08:44 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(T06D14 @ Jun 13 2019, 02:46 AM)
Hey! Can anyone give me advice on choosing a 2nd hand car to buy? my budget is within 14k. i shortlisted 2009/10 myvi ezi, proton waja cps, vios 2004/05 and altis 1.6 first batch. my priority is FC, safety, spare parts, maintenance(monthly expenditure) and resale value in 5 years from now. Mostly city use and travel from seremban to nilai too. Would appreciate some advice from owners of those cars i listed. Thanks in advance. biggrin.gif
IMO,

Myvi for easy of parking if u find having a shorter car advantageous, but trunk space is sacrificed.

I would say that year Vios & Altis are similar now, get the Vios if want lower rtax. If want (marginally) better NVH, get Altis. I own 2002 1.8 Altis, but driven & sat as passenger in all mentioned models before.

All above cheap to maintain & repair. However, I believe the Toyota options would hold better value compared to the Proton options. But that is telling the future, in which if I could, I wouldn't be spending time surfing forums..instead surf super models.

No comment about Waja, as all persons I know are rejoicing after replacing their Waja.

This post has been edited by Chrix: Jun 13 2019, 08:45 AM
T06D14 P
post Jun 13 2019, 12:26 PM

QUOTE(Chrix @ Jun 13 2019, 08:44 AM)
IMO,

Myvi for easy of parking if u find having a shorter car advantageous, but trunk space is sacrificed.

I would say that year Vios & Altis are similar now, get the Vios if want lower rtax. If want (marginally) better NVH, get Altis. I own 2002 1.8 Altis, but driven & sat as passenger in all mentioned models before.

All above cheap to maintain & repair. However, I believe the Toyota options would hold better value compared to the Proton options. But that is telling the future, in which if I could, I wouldn't be spending time surfing forums..instead surf super models.

No comment about Waja, as all persons I know are rejoicing after replacing their Waja.
T06D14 P
post Jun 13 2019, 12:30 PM

QUOTE(Chrix @ Jun 13 2019, 08:44 AM)
IMO,

I dont need trunk space but i'd like a safe and fuel efficient car tbh... I dont know if i should go with 9/10 yrs old myvi or a vios thats almost 15 years old... But if i do go with the myvi i'm currently finding for the ezi se version 🤔
Financier
post Jun 17 2019, 06:52 PM

Getting Started

Guys what to ask a used car dealer when buying a used car? What precautions and steps I need to take
Stevenng94 P
post Jun 17 2019, 11:44 PM

Hi all, looking for advise and recommendations smile.gif

. Brand : Ford focus/ hyundai elantra/ honda civic/ vw passat
2. Budget : 50k - 60k
3. New/Used/Unreg : Used
4. Specs : Any
5. Transmission : Automatic
6. NA or FI :
7. Type :
8. Remarks : fuel save and fun to drive

I'm going to drive a lot and mostly is 70% city, 30% highway. I'm going to buy in the end of this month.
T06D14 P
post Jun 18 2019, 12:30 AM

QUOTE(Stevenng94 @ Jun 17 2019, 11:44 PM)
Hi all, looking for advise and recommendations  smile.gif

. Brand : Ford focus/ hyundai elantra/ honda civic/ vw passat
2. Budget : 50k - 60k
3. New/Used/Unreg : Used
4. Specs : Any
5. Transmission : Automatic
6. NA or FI :
7. Type :
8. Remarks : fuel save and fun to drive

I'm going to drive a lot and mostly is 70% city, 30% highway. I'm going to buy in the end of this month.
Civic hybrid city use very good petrol... can go up to 13.5km/l or possibly higher if u dont rev too much... focus i heard fuel consumption good but maintenance is expensive... but honestly among the above 4, focus is more powerful
frostfrench
post Jun 18 2019, 08:40 AM

Getting Started

Planning to buy Honda Civic this week.

Was thinking should I get (5/9 years) loan from bank or pay full cash?

Loan interest vs FD interest (4 %), for 5 years, which are more rational??

Loan amount RM 109,000

Thanks

This post has been edited by frostfrench: Jun 18 2019, 08:41 AM
Stevenng94 P
post Jun 19 2019, 02:17 PM

QUOTE(T06D14 @ Jun 18 2019, 12:30 AM)
Civic hybrid city use very good petrol... can go up to 13.5km/l or possibly higher if u dont rev too much... focus i heard fuel consumption good but maintenance is expensive... but honestly among the above 4, focus is more powerful
I see... Thank you for your opinion
zenix
post Jun 20 2019, 07:06 PM

Pirate Captain

QUOTE(fastreader @ Jun 10 2019, 12:01 AM)

You're welcomed!
Which part of the west you're from?

QUOTE(enteraname1 @ Jun 10 2019, 12:23 PM)
Thank you very much for this detailed explanation. It gives me a better insight.
I hope you make a wise decision.
If you want some insider deals you can PM me.

QUOTE(T06D14 @ Jun 13 2019, 02:46 AM)

Since the travel distance isn't too far you don't really need to go all out with C-segment sedans like Waja and Altis.
I'd suggest going for the Myvi as it ticks your boxes for maintenance, resale value, spare parts and FC (for City use).
However, safety for that generation of Myvi isn't a strong card so I'd suggest if you want it all look for a good Persona/Gen2 within your budget, the only down point is the poor FC.

QUOTE(Financier @ Jun 17 2019, 06:52 PM)

Since you're into BMW's why not consider recon/premium selection?

QUOTE(Stevenng94 @ Jun 17 2019, 11:44 PM)

Firstly, the Ford Focus and VW Passat both run on 'dry dual clutch' gearboxes which aren't known for their reliability.
Ever since all the scandals that killed the brand globally VW probably is the only brand which has a solution (albeit a stop gap one) for their DSG gearboxes.
If you're planning to get one make sure you know where to get it maintained within your budget and which are the trusted shops to get TSI and DSG repairs done.
You can always send it to 3S but it's gonna cost a bomb.
So armed with that knowledge it ain't going to be easy but not impossible so remember to bargain hard and get it at lowest price for the best car you can find.

With that budget you can either aim for the older but much more sought after Civic FD2 or newer but lackluster Civic FB1/FB2.
The FB1 shares the same engine and gearbox as the FD1, the 5AT slush box and 1800cc engine.
While the FB2 has a new 2000cc engine which is more fuel saving, I suggest if you want budget friendly aim for the FB1 as it has more common parts out there.

However since you're 70% city it makes more sense for B-segments or even a new Bezza.
Unless you really want the extra space and comfort of C-segments.

zenix
post Jun 20 2019, 07:07 PM

Pirate Captain

QUOTE(frostfrench @ Jun 18 2019, 08:40 AM)
Planning to buy Honda Civic this week.

Was thinking should I get (5/9 years) loan from bank or pay full cash?

Loan interest vs FD interest (4 %), for 5 years, which are more rational??

Loan amount RM 109,000

Thanks
I think you'll understand the difference once you done the math in excel.
Need me to explain more?
frostfrench
post Jun 21 2019, 08:53 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(zenix @ Jun 20 2019, 07:07 PM)
I think you'll understand the difference once you done the math in excel.
Need me to explain more?
please explain. I am terrible in excel tongue.gif
fastreader
post Jun 21 2019, 10:58 AM

QUOTE(frostfrench @ Jun 21 2019, 08:53 AM)
please explain. I am terrible in excel  tongue.gif
I believe u are a millenials...nvm, let us spoonfeed u...

Your FD 4% Interest per year = RM4360 X 5 years = RM21800 (Interest EARNED)

Car interest rate, 3.2% per year = RM3488 X 5 year = RM17440 (Interest expense)

So, if u have cash, u put in FD of 4%, it will yield more...so, if u take the loan of 3.2%, u still benefit from the 0.8% nett gain

189 Pages « < 186 187 188 189 >Top

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0880sec    1.44    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th June 2019 - 01:35 AM