1. Brand : Proton
2. Budget : 30k
3. New/Used/Unreg : Used
4. Specs : any
5. Transmission : any
6. NA or FI : any
7. Type : sedan or hatchback
8. Remarks : no

Considering Persona, Preve or Suprima S. Not really confident in Preve and Suprima S due to CVT and turbochaged engine. Any owner can provides me some feedback for these cars? Thanks!

This post has been edited by wenjie_191: May 13 2019, 04:54 PM
greyshadow
post May 14 2019, 04:31 PM

I bleed it out, Diggin' deeper just to throw it away!
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(TehTar1k @ May 12 2019, 02:39 PM)
1. Brand : Japanese brand
2. Budget : 150K max
3. New/Used/Unreg : New / unreg
5. Transmission : AUTO
6. NA or FI : NA
7. Type : 7 seater MPV
8. Remarks: Replacing old Avanza. Should be comfortable for city driving & balik kampung. Safe, reliable, cheap to run.

I've shortlisted a few actually (price from low to high):
new Nissan Serena Hybrid
recond / used Odyssey 2014
recond Estima 2.4 Aeras 7-seater 2013
recond Vellfire 2.4 2011
Get the brand new car: Nissan Serena is better

recon cars can be a hit & miss, kinda like playing with lottery
unless you can bring an experienced trusted mechanic with you to inspect the recon cars
not to mention it's more difficult to get rid of the recon cars that's more than 10 years old
Capt. Furuno
post May 15 2019, 06:51 AM

Group: Newbie

Good Day Sifu,

1. Brand - Mercedes
2. Budget - 180k and below
3. New/Used/Unreg - Recon 2014 n above
4. Specs - CLA 250
5. Transmission - Any
6. NA or FI -
7. Type - Sedan
8. Remarks - plan to buy recon merc CLA 250. Any advice for this car.. Any problem.. Maintainance...coz quite rare saw this car otr.

6UE5T
post May 15 2019, 08:26 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(Capt. Furuno @ May 15 2019, 06:51 AM)
Good Day Sifu,

1. Brand - Mercedes
2. Budget - 180k and below
3. New/Used/Unreg - Recon 2014 n above
4. Specs - CLA 250
5. Transmission - Any
6. NA or FI -
7. Type - Sedan
8. Remarks - plan to buy recon merc CLA 250. Any advice for this car.. Any problem.. Maintainance...coz quite rare saw this car otr.
Not worth it. Better buy 2015-2016 BMW 330i F30, way much better car in practically all aspects!
xehoi P
post May 15 2019, 05:29 PM

Group: Probation

Besides avanza what other choice?

junfu1988
post May 15 2019, 06:20 PM

Casual

QUOTE(zenix @ May 7 2019, 08:20 PM)
I think Mark X is an apt choice.
Erm, not able to get anything ~ 5 years old and within budget. most Mark X are manufactured quite some time ago. Other jap D segment maybe?

@zenix - how much for a pre-reg passat now?

This post has been edited by junfu1988: May 15 2019, 06:23 PM
zenix
post May 18 2019, 01:31 PM

Pirate Captain

QUOTE(greyshadow @ May 10 2019, 11:51 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

One thing about older conti's are they aren't really suitable for our climate due to them operating at colder countries the engineers set fan engagement at higher temperatures where japanese makes set it at lower. I don't recall the exact Celsius but it is like this; a conti maybe only kick in if the temperature is over 60c where 40c for local or japanese makes already kick in, so it kicks in at higher temperatures it has to work harder to cool the equipment down and the equipment has been basking in hot temperatures longer plastic and rubber parts die off more quickly. So like Japanese car at 40c oredi fans start to work to cool the components, Conti at 50c still buat tak tahu.

Initially, I wanted to intro the new 208 to you as there is huge discounts for that model now but since you're at EM I think it is best to pickup the Myvi or Bezza.

Bezza is actually a sedan version of the Axia so it is still quite a small car but suitable for your wife's needs of a car that's small, easy to park and fuel saving -- but has a decent size boot for carrying stuff as you never will know when you'll need to bring extra stuff for kids school activities, etc. Myvi is good too but i think it is better to get a full spec Bezza/Axia at 50k than a mid spec Myvi.

QUOTE(TehTar1k @ May 12 2019, 02:39 PM)

Let's quickly run through your choices.

New Serena - decent choice, no issues since it is new car but be prepared as Nissan cars don't hold their value well so it will depreciate faster than the other choices listed. but you don't really need to worry as Nissan gives 7 years warranty and alot of service centers around, quite a less headache option.

Recon Odyssey - made using a sedan car platform so it rides lower on the ground, may feel like a station wagon, if you have old folks they may not like it as going in and out can be difficult due to the height.

Recon Estima/Vellfire/Alphard - 2400cc is the best one as the 2000cc can be under powered and 3000cc has expensive roadtax but do take note that it can and will become underpowered and have poor braking distance with full load.

2014 VW Sharan - you can look out for these models from VW they're pretty good and VAG only brought one batch to Malaysia in 2014/2015 and was selling it at 200k starting price but later on this price not sellable so they kept giving discounts to clear stock so that's why the used car prices are pretty bad for this car coupled with the VW scandal of engine issues, gearbox issues and emissions issues. This car doesn't have any mechanical issues as it uses the 2000cc turbo and wet clutch. It was short lived due to circumstances but that doesn't make it a bad car you can test drive it, very powerful, spacious, fuel saving and has auto boot.

2013 Toyota Voxy - so whats the difference between Voxy and other Toyota MPV? In Japan the Voxy is the direct competitor to Nissan Serena as they're both boxy hybrid mpv's, as you can see they both share similar designs for more efficient aerodynamics but looks square and ugly as hell compared to the sleek and rounded Estima. The ones imported here are usually the non-hybrid versions which is good, the engine is 3ZR-FAE which is also used in Harrier & Wish.

Avanza - "B-segment" MPV
Innova - Value buy spacious MPV built on pickup truck platform shared witn Hilux and Fortuner, so it is higher and ride is quite harsh.
Voxy/Noah/Esquire - is the replacement of the LiteAce and is targeted as the family version of the Alphard/Vellfire.
Estima - older MPV premium mpv based on van platform
Alphard/Vellfire - they're the top of the line and usually meant more for corporate or limo usages.

You can see from this video by the way they standing/sitting the Voxy is lower than Serena by maybe half a step which makes the difference between needing to step on the rail and directly stepping off the car, this makes a difference when fetching old folks around.

QUOTE(wenjie_191 @ May 13 2019, 04:54 PM)

Basically Preve/Suprima doesn't have CVT failure issues as far as I know.
I feel they're designed in such a way that the driver can't abuse it by forcing it to work hard and pickup speed quickly.
I feel the gearbox is very lazy or laggy.
It is either that or the engine power output issue.

Either way driving them you don't feel like you're driving a turbo car unlike if you try out a VW TSI car like Polo or Golf.

So the lack of power and fuel efficiency makes those two cars quite irrelevant unless you like the style and safety features, where the top spec versions do have safety equipment to rival european makes but the drive and fuel efficiency will drive you mad.

2013 Proton Inspira 2.0p - I suggest going for the Inspira instead, basically it is a rebadged mitsubishi lancer. You don't have to worry about parts as you're buying a car which shares parts with a global car so usually stockist if wanna avoid expensive proton original parts can import in OEM/Compatible parts from Taiwan or China. It also uses a CVT so make sure to test drive the cars and make sure no hesitation or hiccups when pickup from dead start or gear change especially from reverse to N or drive. The engine is solid and fuel efficient for modern 2000cc although it is not the best it is still far better than others in Proton's range of cars at the price point you're looking at.

QUOTE(Capt. Furuno @ May 15 2019, 06:51 AM)

Rare cars = wallet burners as parts aren't easy to find, if got stock also might be higher price, or need to wait for delivery from overseas.
The CLA isn't really a fantastic car I'd suggest getting the higher spec common one like CLA200 instead, or A-Class.
It is over priced as you can get recon 5-series for that price or something even nicer from Merc C-Class range, they're bigger and better.

zenix
post May 18 2019, 01:35 PM

Pirate Captain

QUOTE(xehoi @ May 15 2019, 05:29 PM)
Besides avanza what other choice?
coming soon Mitsubishi Xpander and all-new Nissan Livina.
both sharing same platform.
since Nissan now owns Mitsubishi and Nissan's distributor here is TCM with factory facilities.
i expect both to be CKD with competitive price.

else if you want something now you can consider BRV.

QUOTE(junfu1988 @ May 15 2019, 06:20 PM)
Erm, not able to get anything ~ 5 years old and within budget. most Mark X are manufactured quite some time ago. Other jap D segment maybe?

@zenix - how much for a pre-reg passat now?
pre-reg 120k +++
used 60-70k +
junfu1988
post May 18 2019, 02:36 PM

Casual

QUOTE(zenix @ May 18 2019, 01:35 PM)
pre-reg 120k +++
used 60-70k +
B8 passat used 60-70k?
TehTar1k
post May 18 2019, 08:43 PM

[quote=greyshadow,May 14 2019, 04:31 PM]

[/quote]

quote=zenix,May 18 2019, 01:31 PM]

[/quote]

Thanks for the replies. Was actually asking for my friend, his parents still prefer Estima more blush.gif
shaqeeldanial
post May 18 2019, 11:55 PM

Group: Newbie

Hi fellow friends.
I’ve been trying to find answers for quite a while now but I figured I should just ask here.

I’m new to the car scene and planning to buy my first car once I’ve reached my budget.

I want to know

1. To get a car loan from bank, is it possible to get old cars let’s say 2008-2013 models? If so, how much loan and the term the banks offer ?

2. I run an online store, so no payslip, no tax papers. Is that going to affect anything ?

Forgive me if the questions seem too amateur I’m still learning
zenix
post Yesterday, 12:29 AM

Pirate Captain

QUOTE(junfu1988 @ May 18 2019, 02:36 PM)

yes

QUOTE(TehTar1k @ May 18 2019, 08:43 PM)

Estima is getting old.
Wonder why most newer registered ones are Alphard/Vellfire/Voxy?
The Estima's recon sellers have in stock are 2013 or older stock, although being Toyota parts for them aren't an issue but older Estima's are being dumped in our market so better watch out for lower spec being sold as higher spec or poor grades.

QUOTE(shaqeeldanial @ May 18 2019, 11:55 PM)

1. After cars are 10 years old you will be unable to loan it anymore, some models you may not be able to loan it even if it is younger or repayment years reduced. e.g. in 2019 you may still be able to get a 5 year loan for a 2009 Honda Civic, however in 2019 you may not be able to get a loan for a 2012 Renault Megane or you get offered only for 3 years with higher interest rates.

2. Basically any business need to declare as business and is taxable. Usually small business like yours get away without paying much tax if you know how to use the business tax breaks. However, since you've not legitimize your business you run the risk if getting into trouble with LHDN later on, plus in the eyes of the banks you've no income. If you want me to introduce you someone to help on this to register a properly company, proper documentation, how to do taxes, etc. let me know.

This post has been edited by zenix: Yesterday, 12:30 AM
suadrif
post Yesterday, 03:49 PM

<Safe Online Trader>

1. Brand : Toyota/Mazda/Conti
2. Budget : 70k~ or monthly less than rm900
3. New/Used/Unreg : New
5. Transmission : any
7. Type : sedan or hatchback
8. Remarks : now i am using Saga & Honda Stream. Wanna try something else than Honda. Now aiming for Toyota Yaris/Mazda 2 or Volkswagen Vento.

My dilemma is:
Yaris have 7 airbag but maintenance is normal
Mazda 2 is less airbag but maintenance is free for 5 years
Vento is prestigious car but may not reliable for long term..

Which one is overall better?

I m not concern bout space because i already had my Honda Stream.
This car is only for my work purposes (enter town and long distance outstation more than 300km every week)

Hope can get a good advice.

vCool
post Today, 07:59 AM

Safe Trader

1. Brand : no preference but prefer one with low maintenance
2. Budget : 50k
3. New/Used/Unreg : used
5. Transmission : auto
7. Type : sedan or hatch back