Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New Registrations disabled until further notice.

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Plan to buy a NEW/USED car?(V3),, ASK HERE for recommendations

zenix
post Dec 9 2018, 08:02 PM

Pirate Captain
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(wateverjunk @ Dec 8 2018, 02:56 AM)
What about the Elysion 3.0 model? Harder to get parts? Is it just the engine that is different?
basically it would be the 3000 v6 earth dreams engine from the accord.

QUOTE(SkyCaptain @ Dec 8 2018, 07:00 PM)
Isn't the Forrester's engine MPI as compared to the gasoline direct injection XV engine?
iinm they're both from the same family of FB20 engines.

I went to Subaru Malaysia's website to check but they never list the engine name just the spec, so from that I can see basically the engine's on Forrester and XV are the same except the injection method is different.

Check on Subaru Wiki on FB20 engines and with an educated guess I think the Forrester is running on the FB20B and XV on FB20D. The bore, stroke and compression specs match up.

It makes to use the same engine family for Malaysia because:
1. more cross compatible parts between models = lower street price of parts due to economics of scale.
2. less re-tooling needed for production of both cars.
3. less training and tools required for service & maintenance of both cars. also service centers don't need to keep so much parts for two cars.
Godek
post Dec 10 2018, 04:07 PM

On my way

Dear Sifus,

I am hoping to get expert advice as follow.

1. Brand : Doesn't matters
2. Budget : RM50K
3. New/Used/Unreg : Doesn't matters
4. Specs : If possible Adaptive cruise control, if not normal cruise control will do
5. Transmission : Doesn't matters
6. NA or FI : Doesn't matters
7. Type : Doesn't matters
8. Remarks :
- Economy on Petrol (Monthly +-3000km)
- 80% Driving on Klang Valley Highway

diversity
post Dec 10 2018, 08:39 PM

Regular

Is Volkswagen Polo TSI 2008-2010 a reliable car?

Enticed by its look/design and good FC. Prefer a small sized hatchback.

But I'm afraid on the maintenance costs and reliability of the engine and tranny (german tech), not to mention that I'm absolutely clueless on continental cars laugh.gif

This post has been edited by diversity: Dec 10 2018, 09:13 PM
Vintage
post Dec 11 2018, 09:36 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Hi all, appreciate your advice on a new car to replace a decade-old Volkswagen Crosspolo

1. Brand: No preference but eyeing for a Japanese or Korean car for resale value
2. Budget: Up to 80k
3. New/Used/Unreg: New
4. Specs: No preference as long as it is reliable for KL driving and occasional out of town travels
5. Transmission: Auto/Semi-Auto
6. NA or FI: No preference
7. Type: Sedan
8. Remarks: Any chance there's a good hybrid car within this budget?

This post has been edited by Vintage: Dec 11 2018, 09:48 AM
mdziaf
post Dec 11 2018, 01:21 PM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(Godek @ Dec 10 2018, 04:07 PM)
Dear Sifus,

I am hoping to get expert advice as follow.

1. Brand : Doesn't matters
2. Budget : RM50K
3. New/Used/Unreg : Doesn't matters
4. Specs : If possible Adaptive cruise control, if not normal cruise control will do
5. Transmission : Doesn't matters
6. NA or FI : Doesn't matters
7. Type : Doesn't matters
8. Remarks :
  - Economy on Petrol (Monthly +-3000km)
  - 80% Driving on Klang Valley Highway
Used hybrid might be ok for you.. Try looking for either a used prius c or honda insight.. Would help you save on petrol. Not sure if prius c has adaptive cruise control..
zenix
post Dec 12 2018, 03:15 AM

Pirate Captain

QUOTE(Godek @ Dec 10 2018, 04:07 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

2014 Honda Civic 1.5 Hybrid - Basically Honda's system is to have a small but very efficient engine (top of the line 3-stage i-VTEC) that is helped by the electric motor (IMA) when the driver needs an extra bit of power like pickup from standstill or overtaking, other than that the car drives as a 1500cc car to save fuel, of course this 1500cc is better than the one inside the City or Jazz as it produces more power but it is abit more expensive to produce and maintain but overall still alot more simple than the 1500cc with turbo. Interior wise it is the same as an ordinary Civic except the meter cluster includes the IMA system.

2014 Toyota Prius 1.8 - Toyota's system is the reverse of Honda's, if you keep the speed under 40kmh and brake often (common for City driving) then the car runs as a pure electric car without using any petrol but once you need the extra power like fast pickup from standstill, suddenly going from 40kmh to 120kmh, or overtaking then it changes to a 1800cc car. One thing though, depending on your taste and preference you're either going to love the snug driver orientated dashboard or hate it, personally I hate it because I feel the center console is just too bulky.

2014 VW Passat 1.8T - however, both of the cars above you have to sacrifice something for fuel economy. The Honda you can drive it as hard as you want but the 1500cc isn't going to give you much driving pleasure at highways. The Toyota would only give you excellent fuel economy if you drive like a grandpa, so highways speeds it will just revert to the 1800cc engine most of the time so you won't see much fuel savings. I think the car that would most suit you would be a turbo car as it would give you great driving pleasure and good fuel economy especially on highways. Plus being a D-segment car it will be full spec with cruise control, etc. Older Passats lost their value due to the DSG and TSI engine issues previously (now resolved) so you can pick one up at a very cheap price.

QUOTE(diversity @ Dec 10 2018, 08:39 PM)

They now have an option for 1600cc engine with 6 speed automatic gearbox.
The gearbox is made by Aisin, a gearbox company 30% own by Toyota which supplies all of the Toyota gearboxes.
Everyone knows Toyota gearboxes are super solid cool2.gif
The 1600cc is an MPI engine, not so fancy but alot more reliable.
Of course the 1200cc TSI + DSG is more powerful and fast, but if you can't handle the upkeep risk then I suggest going for the regular one.
Whats your budget like? I can intro u a dealer if u finding pre-regs.

QUOTE(Vintage @ Dec 11 2018, 09:36 AM)

2015 Mazda 6 Skyactiv 2.5L - due to the tax it is usually more likely you'll see high cc variants cheaper than the lower cc variants, in this case the 2500cc is cheaper thanthe 2000cc. A few things to note the 2500cc gets which the 2000cc doesn't get.

1) Power = 153hp @ 6000rpm / 200nm @ 4000rpm vs 185hp @ 5700rpm / 250nm @ 3250rpm.
3250 is really low so this car is really itching to launch itself from every traffic light devil.gif

2) Kit = Gun Metal color, 19" alloys, i-ActivSense suite of active safety systems, LED lights front and back, keyess entry, sunroof and paddle shifters.

3) Head unit = this variant gets an updated display, 11-speaker bose sound system and navigation (the regular one gets speakers and the old head unit)

Of course when you bring it to service the slightly bigger engine is going to need abit more engine oil but that is about it, alot of the other parts are shared with the 2000cc variant so unless exceptional engine failure you're not going to really need to find specific 2500cc variant parts. The great thing about Skyactiv cars is it gives you hybrid like fuel economy without having to be a hybrid or lugging around a battery.

Vintage
post Dec 12 2018, 10:45 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(zenix @ Dec 12 2018, 03:15 AM)
2015 Mazda 6 Skyactiv 2.5L - due to the tax it is usually more likely you'll see high cc variants cheaper than the lower cc variants, in this case the 2500cc is cheaper thanthe 2000cc. A few things to note the 2500cc gets which the 2000cc doesn't get.

1) Power = 153hp @ 6000rpm / 200nm @ 4000rpm vs 185hp @ 5700rpm / 250nm @ 3250rpm.
3250 is really low so this car is really itching to launch itself from every traffic light  devil.gif

2) Kit = Gun Metal color, 19" alloys,  i-ActivSense suite of active safety systems, LED lights front and back, keyess entry, sunroof and paddle shifters.

3) Head unit = this variant gets an updated display, 11-speaker bose sound system and navigation (the regular one gets speakers and the old head unit)

Of course when you bring it to service the slightly bigger engine is going to need abit more engine oil but that is about it, alot of the other parts are shared with the 2000cc variant so unless exceptional engine failure you're not going to really need to find specific 2500cc variant parts. The great thing about Skyactiv cars is it gives you hybrid like fuel economy without having to be a hybrid or lugging around a battery.
many thanks for the recommendation!

as i was looking for a brand new car, how much of a disadvantage would it be to get a used car? sorry if this is a dumb question as i am total car noob.

would there be anything similar in the market for a new car?
fastreader
post Dec 12 2018, 02:34 PM

QUOTE(zenix @ Dec 12 2018, 03:15 AM)

2014 VW Passat 1.8T - however, both of the cars above you have to sacrifice something for fuel economy. The Honda you can drive it as hard as you want but the 1500cc isn't going to give you much driving pleasure at highways. The Toyota would only give you excellent fuel economy if you drive like a grandpa, so highways speeds it will just revert to the 1800cc engine most of the time so you won't see much fuel savings. I think the car that would most suit you would be a turbo car as it would give you great driving pleasure and good fuel economy especially on highways. Plus being a D-segment car it will be full spec with cruise control, etc. Older Passats lost their value due to the DSG and TSI engine issues previously (now resolved) so you can pick one up at a very cheap price.

Hi Sir,

when u talk about Passat issues being rectified, meaning model from year 2014 onwards had all been rectified? hence, the recommendation?

which year's passat are best to avoid? and which year onwards are safe to purchase?..(for second hand ones, i mean)
thong123
post Dec 12 2018, 04:52 PM

Getting Started

Hi Guru's of the car universe, greatly need some advise.
Audi B8.5 S5 2014/2015 - is it a reliable car and cost of maintenance pls? or is it a endless money pit..
Any major difference between used and recon ?
Any Audi's owners can share their knowledge too. Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by thong123: Dec 12 2018, 05:14 PM
bdk321
post Dec 12 2018, 05:31 PM

Hi all, currently owned a Myvi SE 2011 1.3 and looking for second car, not daily driven. Fun car without sacrificing comfort for long distance driving 500km 2-3 times a year. Tend to have heavy foot when on highways. Appreciate all sifus feedback on car below:

1. Brand : Vios/City/Neo R3/Focus Hatchback 2.0/Golf TSI MK7
2. Budget : RM65K
3. New/Used/Unreg : used/new
4. Specs : -
5. Transmission : -
6. NA or FI : -
7. Type : -
8. Remarks : -

tkhe1313
post Dec 13 2018, 02:44 PM

Hi, would appreciate recommendation based mainly on premiumness, comfort, reliability and low maintenance. Don't really need a lot of power, mainly city driving.

Want to spend around Rm100K for a used (2016ish) sedan and not sure which one is the best option.

1. Brand - Toyota Camry, Kia Optima, Mazda 6, Honda Accord
2. Budget - RM100k
3. Used
4. Specs -
5. Transmission. Auto
6. NA or FI ? -
7. Type. - Sedan
8. Remarks. -

Thanks
zenix
post Dec 17 2018, 02:59 AM

Pirate Captain

QUOTE(Vintage @ Dec 12 2018, 10:45 AM)

new car at 80k you're pretty much looking at.....(C = c-segment, B = b-segment)

© Renault Fluence - if got big discount sale
© Nissan Sylphy - if got big discount sale
(B) Nissan Almera - fully spec but I feel isn't worth it
(B) Honda City - mid-spec, better top-up for high spec if you can't afford C-segment
(B) Mazda2 - good quality, spec, performance, but rear space is terrible.
(B) Toyota Vios - current model isn't too popular maybe you can force the salesman for big discount for the top-spec model.
(B) VW Vento/Polo - new/pre-reg available but the 1.2TSI will bust the budget unless pre-reg
© VW Jetta - pre-reg only

QUOTE(fastreader @ Dec 12 2018, 02:34 PM)

I don't recall the details but you can look-up the local Passat club webpage/facebook to get first hand information.
I hope I directed you into the right path icon_rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(thong123 @ Dec 12 2018, 04:52 PM)

If you're getting it as a used car it might be an endless money pit depending on how the previous owner took care of it.
If you're getting a recon I recommend paying more for the 3rd party warranty so more parts are covered, similarly like insurance you just pay a fraction of the insured sum if anything happens, if nothing happens the company eats the money if something happens they pay for you. Lets say for example Pro Warranty from GM Ride you're getting 15k "budget" if anything goes wrong up until the maximum claim sum of 100k for 2 years. IINM the price is going to be like 3-4k which you can dump into the loan amount (just like insurance) with your helpful car salesman. And if after spending 100k on repairs in 2 years the car isn't sorted, it is best to sell it.

QUOTE(bdk321 @ Dec 12 2018, 05:31 PM)

Vios/City ain't fun so let's just not talk about them.
Neo R3 is just two doors, not really a success as Proton didn't really keep it in production for long either. If you're looking for 2 door coupe in that price range but newer then CRZ would be a better choice when it comes to parts since it is a global car many OEM's and aftermarket bits to play with, can be very cheap or expensive to upkeep depending on what you're going to do with it.
Focus is great, if you like speed you can even think of getting he TDCI version. However, when it comes to practicality it is going to be expensive to upkeep due to mostly stuck with getting parts from authorized resellers so prices ain't going to be low, plus sometimes they need to order-in from overseas, (but if regular maintenance like tires, wipers, black oil, brake pads, air filter these are easy and cheap....anything else....not really), and lasly Ford is stopping production of passenger cars to focus on making Mustang's and Pickups in America (not too sure globally) but i think it isn't wise to invest in a brand that is just going to let go of it's customers. Unless you buying a Fosucs RS or TDCI, rare and worth it keep cars.

2009 Subaru Impreza S-GT - it has basically the same engine and gearbox as the WRX except it doesn't come with paddle shifters, WRX bodykit, and other goodies. But for me the biggest two things is the paddle shifters and brake system. If you drive it hard and don't modify for more power then just get better brake pads is enough. The paddle shifters although nice to have but it is a redundant item on most days anyway, plus it has a gated shifter and +- to manually change gears. With similar year WRX and STI's almost double the price, this is a value buy. Also it won't have the fancy settings toggler for the AWD but it has AWD so this car is in the league of VW Golf R's and Mitsubishi Evo's. Yes, it isn't going to be cheap to maintain but I can recommend you a good place in Glenmarie that specializes in Subaru's so at least you won't get slashed, prices are reasonable and parts are always original unless you opted otherwise. If I were you I'd pick this up, and the current club president for this batch of cars is very active -- they just fully formed the club this year.

QUOTE(tkhe1313 @ Dec 13 2018, 02:44 PM)

Since I already touched on an 80k Mazda6 2.5s in my previous post, I won't repeat myself.

2010 Toyota Mark X - Whenever anyone puts low maintenance and reliability as an objective it usually has to be something from either Honda or Toyota, although premium-ness isn't something the usual boring Toyota does well, for that usually it's Lexus. I was planning to introduce the Lexus IS250 but the design seems very dated now (end of 2018) so I am introducing a car that uses the same engine but looks abit more updated in terms of looks (it looks like the current Camry sold in Malaysia except Mark X's sold here are usually CBU from Japan by recon car sellers. I saw there is one on sale in Mudah with the latest facelifted look but it looks quite modified and I usually don't recommend people to buy modified used cars unless you know what you're getting into. Why it is better than getting a used local Camry? Well a few things.....for one this car if sold in Malaysia would be near the 200k price bracket and does have the kit level, quality interior, etc. to be there. Whatever kit the Camry has it has it too, and the some.

Capt. Furuno
post Dec 17 2018, 05:12 PM

Group: Newbie

Hai sifu...
1. Brand : vios, City, Vento, Sylphy or any others
2. Budget : rm56k
3. New/Used/: used/pre-reg/new
4. Specs : sedan
5. Transmission : Auto/cvt
6. NA or FI : Any
7. Type :
8. Remarks : looking for car daily commute in KL.. and travel long distance once per month with family. Any advise for these car or others suggestion within the similar range? Comfort and fun to drive..Good Fuel cons. and easy to maintain ..need advice from sifu..

This post has been edited by Capt. Furuno: Dec 17 2018, 05:12 PM
taranjit
post Yesterday, 04:11 AM

Getting Started

Hi all, I'm looking to add another car. Currently looking for an SUV

1. Brand : CR-V
2. Budget : rm55k
3. New/Used/: used
4. Specs : SUV
5. Transmission : Auto/cvt
6. NA or FI : Any
7. Type :
8. Remarks : Third gen, year 2012

what should i worry if i purchase one of this https://www.mudah.my/2012+Honda+CR+V+2+0+A+...NT-70578822.htm

Thanks
ghodul
post Yesterday, 04:17 PM

Ghodul + Shoei = GhoSho

1. Brand : Anything
2. Budget : Maximum of MYR1500/mth
3. New/Used/Unreg : New
4. Specs : Anything
5. Transmission : Auto / CVT /DCT
6. NA or FI : Anything
7. Type : C Segment (Sedan or SUV)
8. Remarks : Preferable can full loan and delivery before CNY. And strictly no Proton CFE + PunchPowertrain combo. Had enuff with my mom Iriz..

TBH, I already book Proton X70 loan already approve for 115k (Exec 2WD, full loan). Then suddenly the SA says that kenot full loan due to car is CBU (got custom clearance). So now i left with no option.

Reason why i wanna go full loan is my wife is pregnant and her due date is on early March 2019. I would prefer to keep the cash for her delivery and the baby as well. I am now currently car-less as my Mitsubishi Galant Super Touring 1984 (My car since uni days) just failed on me and i can't find any spare parts for that car anymore. As for now, I'm on GRAB or SOCAR for my wife's checkup, shopping and everything. Its been since August...

Hope that you guys can suggest me anything as I am clueless now
zenix
post Yesterday, 11:31 PM

Pirate Captain

QUOTE(Capt. Furuno @ Dec 17 2018, 05:12 PM)

Vios, City, Almera and Vento are B-segment cars. Among them the interior space of the Vios is the smallest so if you're doing long distance driving with your family if children at the back should be fine but older than 10 probably there isn't enough headroom even if only 2 people at the back. City and

Almera is a much more modern stretched rear design (like a limo) even if front driver/passenger put the seat all the way to the back there is plenty of legroom at the rear. The Almera has a benefit of wider opening rear doors for easy in/out for passengers, also old people that tend to knock their head when trying to squeeze in tight door openings, however due to the functionality + space the design is quite ugly, coupled with older technology engine and gearbox (4 speed autobox) it is quite sluggish however if you're not a fast driver that's fine the engine and gearbox is a solid one and cheap to maintain however Almera does have quality issues with random mysterious sounds coming from out of the blue and sub-par NVH.

City has the benefit of this stretched design however their designers managed to still make the car quite sporty and handsome looking (especially with the OEM bodykit), if you get the higher spec version it is in my opinion a good replacement for a C-segment car as it has good performance, comfort, space, and features. Generally, of course better technology and parts if anything needs replacement it is going to cost abit to replace but Honda stuff are pretty reliable so if you don't get a lemon it is quite cheap to maintain.

Vento has two models (1.2TSI + 7AT DSG) & (1.6MPI + 6AT box), the latter is more reliable and cheaper to maintain but of course once you test drive the 1.2TSI the 1.6MPI is going to feel slow and boring. Despite claims by VW on fixing the TSI and DSG issues I do still have my reservations thus I only recommend the Passat 1.8TSI because in my opinion if you get those below 100k and it isn't very old it is a steal because the features and technology is same as a 200k car but depreciated to below 100k due to the scandal, so for something like THIS I think yeah if got some issues which is solvable it is still worth it because other than that it is quite well built plus it is way more reliable and cheaper to upkeep than any French or Italian conti. So if you're pennywise the 1.6MPI is the way to go. Size wise it doesn't have the stretched rear like the duo above but overall it is bigger than the Vios and Mazda2 so it is more livable for long distance driving, plus conti cars feel very solid to be inside and drive (especially highways) you just have to drive it to feel the difference.

Sylphy is C-segment but except for larger space I would say it is quite "kosong" in terms of specs and features. Probably the worst safety feature of any C-segment car in our market now, ever notice Tan Chong doesn't really push this model much anymore and not many on the road (even for the nicer looking facelift)? Unless you really get a good deal for this I'd advise to stay away as the CVT is finicky and has a tendency to fail.

2012 Toyota Axio - just incase you're interested this is the "sushi" version of the Vios (tomyam). Dimensions are more or less the same but the Axio has a slightly larger boot. It is recon Japan so the material quality is better than Vios however do shop around although not many recon sellers carry it if you see the condition isn't good just walk away. I just thought you'll be interested since it is something different. Uses same engine and gearbox as Vios so dun worry about parts, heck most of the parts and even doors can be taken from Vios except the front and rear lights.

user posted image

QUOTE(taranjit @ Dec 18 2018, 04:11 AM)

It is 2000cc so it is the 2WD model.
Since it doesn't have 4WD less likely another part got problem.
So it is pretty much an Accord in SUV body.
Not much issues with the engine and gearbox from this generation.
Do test drive and see the condition of the car.
Maybe it is shiny outside because washed but inside the plastics can open and close properly.....any rubberized parts like sticky or melted....etc.

QUOTE(ghodul @ Dec 18 2018, 04:17 PM)

Here is my advise.
Don't throw away the approval for 115k, you can transfer it to another car/brand/salesman.
Don't worry that can settle, the difficult part is approval from bank and government agencies.
Since you already booked Proton X70 you're not abhorrent about China cars?
You can switch to Haval H2, spec wise it has everything and more except maybe the Google Assistant voice command head unit from X70.

user posted image

steevan1000
post Today, 12:09 PM

Casual

planning for new car to support a growing family

1. Brand : any
2. Budget : max 100k
3. New/Used/Unreg : any (max 5 y/o if used or old model)
4. Specs : any
5. Transmission : prefer Manual
6. NA or FI : any
7. Type : prefer MPV / SUV (suitable as family car of at least 5 persons)
8. Remarks : mostly for daily inner city drive, occasional cross state long travel up to 5 times a year (about 600km - 1300km per round trip)

many thanks for sifus

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0802sec    2.79    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th December 2018 - 07:15 PM