Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New Registrations disabled until further notice.

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Plan to buy a NEW/USED car?(V3),, ASK HERE for recommendations

zenix
post Dec 2 2018, 03:48 AM

Pirate Captain
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(Louis90 @ Nov 29 2018, 10:44 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

The current Tiguan had a big fanfare when launch with crazy overbooking until 8 months waiting, but that was like almost a year ago.
I hardly see any on the road so I guess when the new CX5 launched it actually killed this product.

QUOTE(badmoodblast @ Nov 30 2018, 02:32 PM)

Hyundai Elantra should be do able.
Only under 60k?

QUOTE(skeithskeith @ Nov 30 2018, 10:13 PM)

Tiguan won't be cheap.
It is also not popular model so hard to get pre-regs at lower price.
Then when ownership you're going to face the issue of rare car = hard to find parts/expensive parts/mechanic not willing to touch it....end up back to authorize service center then kena potong sweat.gif
Those kinda issues are bearable if the car is really cheap to begin with like X70, H2 and Forrester.

chidori
post Dec 2 2018, 08:05 AM

ㅅ_ㅅ 보노보노 ㅇ_ㅇ

Dear sifus,

Hope to get advice from the car experts~

1. Brand : any
2. Budget : 90 to 100k
3. New/Used/Unreg : prefer used
4. Specs : any
5. Transmission : Automatic
6. NA or FI : any
7. Type : sedan / suv
8. Remarks : weekly commute ~200 to 300km to work

Currently interested models
Suv:
mazda cx-5 (new model looks good but prefer used)
subaru xv (used)
Subaru forester (new)

Sedan:
audi a6 hybrid (used)
honda civic (new)
honda city hybrid (new)

*Edit: Sorry my choice is kinda wide but those are the cars in the price range... I'm open to suggestions~

Thanks and have a nice day~

This post has been edited by chidori: Dec 2 2018, 08:13 AM
digilife
post Dec 2 2018, 08:57 AM

The MNP guy, its me yeah.

QUOTE(chidori @ Dec 2 2018, 08:05 AM)
Dear sifus,

Hope to get advice from the car experts~

1. Brand : any
2. Budget : 90 to 100k
3. New/Used/Unreg : prefer used
4. Specs : any
5. Transmission : Automatic
6. NA or FI :  any
7. Type : sedan / suv
8. Remarks : weekly commute ~200 to 300km to work

Currently interested models
Suv:
mazda cx-5 (new model looks good but prefer used)
subaru xv (used)
Subaru forester (new)

Sedan:
audi a6 hybrid (used)
honda civic (new)
honda city hybrid (new)

*Edit: Sorry my choice is kinda wide but those are the cars in the price range... I'm open to suggestions~

Thanks and have a nice day~
Civic Ketam FTW

user posted image
chidori
post Dec 2 2018, 09:27 AM

ㅅ_ㅅ 보노보노 ㅇ_ㅇ

QUOTE(digilife @ Dec 2 2018, 08:57 AM)
Civic Ketam FTW

user posted image
lol exactly, nice photo!
by the way, are you using civic? everything good so far? Tried it but I feel like the interior space and nvh not too great...
digilife
post Dec 2 2018, 12:36 PM

The MNP guy, its me yeah.

QUOTE(chidori @ Dec 2 2018, 09:27 AM)
lol exactly, nice photo!
by the way, are you using civic? everything good so far? Tried it but I feel like the interior space and nvh not too great...
No, not driving a Civic but this is the most happening JDM car between rm100k ~ rm130k C Segment car in MY now.

Louis90
post Dec 2 2018, 09:18 PM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(chidori @ Dec 2 2018, 09:27 AM)
lol exactly, nice photo!
Well civic is the most spacious c segment sedan actually. But maybe you found it small since its too low. Altis and mazda 3 are smaller. Wouldn't you look at 2014 Crv? The interior space is second to none but NVH is worse than civic.

Mazda Cx-5 has slightly better NVH than the Crv. But you might find its interior a bit small. Your budget would get you a facelift one - look slightly better with led front and lamps (high spec). Overall, its a balanced one - adequate space, good handling, looks good,
and acceptable nvh.

If you want a good NVH car, try to take a look at Nissan Xtrail, its better than crv and cx5 but i don't really recommend this as its safety features are too basic.

mingyuyu
post Dec 3 2018, 12:28 PM

B A N N E D
Group Icon
Group: Elite

1. Brand : Not limited
2. Budget : RM10k to RM30k
3. New/Used/Unreg : Used
4. Specs : Not specified
5. Transmission : Manual preferably, most Autos at this price point are just sleepy to drive
6. NA or FI : NA
7. Type : Hatch/Sedan
8. Remarks :

Currently Im having a Jazz IDSI from 2004, bought it used earlier this year and i spent around RM1.5k to fix up most wear and tear so far. The car works just fine other than the CVT box which jerks and lags during traffic jams or when moving from stationary. Being IDSI, I can still get good FC (just did 570km on RM70 of Shell RON95, 80% highway).

Problem is that the car rides quite rough even after major suspension work (i changed the mounting/ suspension bushing/ 4 new absorbers and etc) and handling wise it isn't the best either, quite floaty and rolls on sharper corners, not to forget the biggest culprit being the CVT.

My idea is that since the car is still worth around rm20 to rm25k, I can resell it and get something else which is better to drive. My options are quite widely spread and I spent quite some time reading on each option. I'll list all of them down as following:

Below RM20k:
1) Proton Persona 1st gen : Used to own one of this before passing it to my brother and getting the Jazz. Ride quality is really good and the handling is even better than my Jazz. Biggest complaint is drivetrain, super thirsty in jams and the engine/ gearbox combo isn't the smoothest thing either. But again, for around RM15k, I can get a relatively new unit and as I used to own one, I roughly know what to check/inspect. Also at this price point, I don't have to worry much about losing more value if i were to upgrade to something else (I don't plan to keep used cars for a long time).

I ranked it 1st due to the cruising comfort as its a bigger and more stable vehicle. It made the most financial sense too due to the price and it will be one of the most reliable car within my option.

2) Proton Satria Neo CPS : Similar to the Persona, but a little more powerful at the expense of practicality. The Neo looks good for its age and is well known for its handling characteristics. But it is a pretty heavy car, having similar weight as the persona, so the straight line performance doesn't match up to its aggressive exterior. I usually travel alone and I don't mind it being 2 door. As mentioned before, I plan to change car every few years, so I guess getting rid of a used Neo will be hard in the future and ill likely have to let it go at a really low price in the future (still plenty of space for depreciation as the car ranges around 15-25k for good condition units).

3) Satria/Corolla : well the reasons are obvious. however, something this old is either a hit or a miss (most of them had 2 to 3 owners previously). even though i don't mind spending more effort and attention on them, they are really outdated especially in the safety aspects (deathtrap/ moving coffin). Not the best car for long trips/ daily commute either.

Considering how much they cost (rm10-15k), they are easily the best bang for buck in terms of spirited driving.

Between RM20k to RM30k.

1) Proton Iriz 1.6 Manual : Similar reason to the Persona albeit different category. Based on what I read online, it handles quite well (i guess between Persona and Neo) with most of the modern features (safest car within all my options). Biggest letdown is that the acceleration can't match Myvi and the F/C is just terrible for a car this small.

It is a really rare car to stumble upon but with some patience it's certainly possible.

2) Perodua Myvi 1.5 / Dugong J : F/C and acceleration (for Myvi). Probably more reliable than iriz as used cars. But tin milo and handles like a boat.

3) Honda EK/ EG hatch : Included mainly because of the legendary VTEC and very obtainable as most of the owners are looking for Jazz so a swap might be possible. However parts are really illogically expensive compared to Satria/ Corolla even though they are all similar cars. Also prone to car thieves.

I have done a lot more research and readings about some other cars too but its too much for me to remember haha. Would appreciate you guys' inputs and suggest other alternatives that I missed out. I know I had posted something similar before (if anyone remembers), but as I had a more stable income now I would like to try something different.
cracksys
post Dec 3 2018, 01:08 PM

I'm a Vault Dweller!!

QUOTE(mingyuyu @ Dec 3 2018, 12:28 PM)
-snip-
why not 2014 preve?
mingyuyu
post Dec 3 2018, 02:32 PM

B A N N E D
Group Icon
Group: Elite

QUOTE(cracksys @ Dec 3 2018, 01:08 PM)
why not 2014 preve?
not a fan of the styling of preve and i heard that it was even more underpowered than the persona due to the increased weight sad.gif
chidori
post Dec 3 2018, 09:44 PM

ㅅ_ㅅ 보노보노 ㅇ_ㅇ

QUOTE(Louis90 @ Dec 2 2018, 09:18 PM)
Well civic is the most spacious c segment sedan actually. But maybe you found it small since its too low. Altis and mazda 3 are smaller. Wouldn't you look at 2014 Crv? The interior space is second to none but NVH is worse than civic.

Mazda Cx-5 has slightly better NVH than the Crv. But you might find its interior a bit small. Your budget would get you a facelift one - look slightly better with led front and lamps (high spec). Overall, its a balanced one - adequate space, good handling, looks good,
and acceptable nvh.

If you want a good NVH car, try to take a look at Nissan Xtrail, its better than crv and cx5 but i don't really recommend this as its safety features are too basic.
thanks for the advice, I will give xtrail a try this weekend.
actually the exterior of xtrail is not to my liking, prefer the looks of the cx-5.
hmm... never thought the xtrail will have better nvh than cx-5.

usually nvh of suv is better or sedan? for example civic vs cx-5
zenix
post Dec 3 2018, 10:02 PM

Pirate Captain

QUOTE(chidori @ Dec 2 2018, 08:05 AM)

The current CX5 model isn't going to be in your price range yet because it is very new.
I don't really recommend XV because it is going to burn a hole in your pocket in terms of fuel bills.
New Forrester isn't going to be in your price range, the cheapest with rebates is 120k.
Funny, why you think a new Forrester is going to be cheaper than a used XV?
Audi A6 Hybrid is going to be a pain in the donkey when the hybrid bits needs repairs/service/replacement.

2015 Mazda3 Sedan - this is your best bet if you're looking for a fun to drive car, fuel saving, looks handsome and won't break the bank in terms of upkeep. Of course if you compare to the regular Civic, Altis and Sylphy it is going to be more expensive because the Skyactiv system is more complicated but it is a whole lot more reliable and simple than a Hybrid (Prius, City, Civic, etc) or Turbo (Civic, Golf, etc).

2013 Lexus CT200h - of course if you insist on going Hybrid then I suggest going Toyota but not the ugly Prius but this upmarket version. Don't be fooled by the badge as under all the Lexus luxury is the same oily bits as the Prius so you don't really need to worry about parts as they're compatible and cheap, plus Toyota reliability and build quality is exceptional even more so for Lexus.

QUOTE(mingyuyu @ Dec 3 2018, 12:28 PM)

If it were me the answer is in plain sight. The Persona/Gen2/Neo all come from the same platform which is still compatible with Mitsubishi's 4g engines. With the cars being so cheap and you've got a budget of 20-25k cash after selling the Jazz an engine swap is just too good not to do.
The Proton-Lotus heritage made sure it has a good chassis but as you've mentioned the downer is the drivetrain.
So upgrading

4G93 from the CK is a good option if you just want an upgrade from the S4PH engine without having the need to upgrade too much of the car and spend alot. You get better fuel consumption and reliability is much better.

4G93T of course there is also the option to go with the legendary Turbo's of Mitsubishi during that era, however make sure you get half cut if you're going for 4G93T or 4G63T because it is best to just transfer everything from those cars including the front brakes if not you'll need to source for a new brake system which on it's own will be additional cost but if you're getting a half cut everything is there.

The only sore point about the Neo is the exit plan as once you go this route it is going be either more easy or difficult to sell.

Also you need to quickly dispose of the Jazz because the CVT is showing signs of failure.

badmoodblast
post Dec 4 2018, 11:28 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(zenix @ Dec 2 2018, 03:48 AM)
Hyundai Elantra should be do able.
Only under 60k?
Yea bro, I am really interested in Hyundai Elantra, could stretch my budget slight to around 65k, but preferably below RM60k...
Louis90
post Dec 4 2018, 12:31 PM

QUOTE(chidori @ Dec 3 2018, 09:44 PM)
thanks for the advice, I will give xtrail a try this weekend.
actually the exterior of xtrail is not to my liking, prefer the looks of the cx-5.
hmm... never thought the xtrail will have better nvh than cx-5.

usually nvh of suv is better or sedan? for example civic vs cx-5
Its not really about sedan or suv, its about how good the soundproofing materials are, which tyres its running on, etc. For instance, Crv (2014)has worse Nvh than the Accord even they are from the same manufacturer.

Accord is then still behind the camry and teana in terms of nvh. Nissan Xtrail will come close behind those latter two. So if civic fc vs Cx5 (prev gen), i would say civic has better nvh. But when it comes to the all new cx5, its way better than its predecessor and civic.
wateverjunk
post Dec 4 2018, 10:20 PM

Getting Started

Mazda 8 or Honda Elysion? Both seem rare here and wonder if parts will be an issue.
zenix
post Dec 5 2018, 12:15 AM

Pirate Captain

QUOTE(badmoodblast @ Dec 4 2018, 11:28 AM)
Yea bro, I am really interested in Hyundai Elantra, could stretch my budget slight to around 65k, but preferably below RM60k...
lets talk in pm

QUOTE(wateverjunk @ Dec 4 2018, 10:20 PM)
Mazda 8 or Honda Elysion? Both seem rare here and wonder if parts will be an issue.
True for Mazda8
Elysion runs on the K24A engine which is fairly common engine family from Honda which powers everything from Accord's, CRV's and Odyssey's.
Shouldn't be much of a problem getting parts for the Elysion if you're talking the oily bits.
The glass stuff is pretty easy if you know who are the OEM and workshops to get if the glass is broken but since they're usually covered by warranty you don't have to worry about it being expensive just pay for the insurance.
The other stuff like door handles, doors, bumpers, lights, etc. usually don't fail so you don't need to replace those unless accident and if that happens don't worry about the price just get the insurance to pay for it....the insurance workshops hve a way to source for the parts it is their job.
Capt. Furuno
post Dec 5 2018, 03:53 AM

1. Brand : BMW
2. Budget : below RM 70k
3. New/Used/Unreg : Used/recon
4. Specs : Not specified
5. Transmission : Auto
6. NA or FI : NA
7. Type : Sedan
8. Remarks :

Good day all. My friend would like to buy used BMW. either e90 320i or e92 325i. Kindly need sifu advice which one is more better and less problem. Or any comment and advice on that model..
chidori
post Dec 6 2018, 08:56 PM

ㅅ_ㅅ 보노보노 ㅇ_ㅇ

QUOTE(zenix @ Dec 3 2018, 10:02 PM)

The current CX5 model isn't going to be in your price range yet because it is very new.
I don't really recommend XV because it is going to burn a hole in your pocket in terms of fuel bills.
New Forrester isn't going to be in your price range, the cheapest with rebates is 120k.
Funny, why you think a new Forrester is going to be cheaper than a used XV?
Audi A6 Hybrid is going to be a pain in the donkey when the hybrid bits needs repairs/service/replacement.

2015 Mazda3 Sedan - this is your best bet if you're looking for a fun to drive car, fuel saving, looks handsome and won't break the bank in terms of upkeep. Of course if you compare to the regular Civic, Altis and Sylphy it is going to be more expensive because the Skyactiv system is more complicated but it is a whole lot more reliable and simple than a Hybrid (Prius, City, Civic, etc) or Turbo (Civic, Golf, etc).

2013 Lexus CT200h - of course if you insist on going Hybrid then I suggest going Toyota but not the ugly Prius but this upmarket version. Don't be fooled by the badge as under all the Lexus luxury is the same oily bits as the Prius so you don't really need to worry about parts as they're compatible and cheap, plus Toyota reliability and build quality is exceptional even more so for Lexus.

Thanks for the kind advice.
Hmm... I didn't know that xv have bad fuel efficiency. The reason I thought forester is in that price range is because they offer big discounts during my last visit and the price of xv and forester is not that much difference. I tried mazda 2 and the space is kinda small but not really sure about Mazda 3. Lexus ct200h used to be my target car last time : )
Perhaps I should use my current car for another year or two and wait for used cx-5...

QUOTE(Louis90 @ Dec 4 2018, 12:31 PM)
Its not really about sedan or suv, its about how good the soundproofing materials are, which tyres its running on, etc. For instance, Crv (2014)has worse Nvh than the Accord even they are from the same manufacturer.

Accord is then still behind the camry and teana in terms of nvh. Nissan Xtrail will come close behind those latter two. So if civic fc vs Cx5 (prev gen), i would say civic has better nvh. But when it comes to the all new cx5, its way better than its predecessor and civic.
Thanks for the info, so it probably comes down to cx-5 vs civic if I go for new car...

zenix
post Dec 7 2018, 07:14 PM

Pirate Captain

QUOTE(chidori @ Dec 6 2018, 08:56 PM)
Thanks for the kind advice.
Hmm... I didn't know that xv have bad fuel efficiency. The reason I thought forester is in that price range is because they offer big discounts during my last visit and the price of xv and forester is not that much difference. I tried mazda 2 and the space is kinda small but not really sure about Mazda 3. Lexus ct200h used to be my target car last time : )
Perhaps I should use my current car for another year or two and wait for used cx-5...
Thanks for the info, so it probably comes down to cx-5 vs civic if I go for new car...
supposedly the competitors are like

XV = HRV = CHR = CX3
Forrester = CRV = RAV4 = CX5

you're not wrong, forrester now and then will have big discount from normal price to around 120k something.
if you want the best deal and don't mind 120k it is the best option.
engine complexity for "normal workshops" to handle out of warranty between CX5 Skyactiv and Forrester Boxer engine is about the same, probably they'd be more familiar with the Boxer from Subaru because it is the less complicated non-turbo variant of the same engine in the Subaru WRX. Forrester and XV uses the same engine.
wateverjunk
post Dec 8 2018, 02:56 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(zenix @ Dec 5 2018, 12:15 AM)
l
True for Mazda8
Elysion runs on the K24A engine which is fairly common engine family from Honda which powers everything from Accord's, CRV's and Odyssey's.
Shouldn't be much of a problem getting parts for the Elysion if you're talking the oily bits.
The glass stuff is pretty easy if you know who are the OEM and workshops to get if the glass is broken but since they're usually covered by warranty you don't have to worry about it being expensive just pay for the insurance.
The other stuff like door handles, doors, bumpers, lights, etc. usually don't fail so you don't need to replace those unless accident and if that happens don't worry about the price just get the insurance to pay for it....the insurance workshops hve a way to source for the parts it is their job.
What about the Elysion 3.0 model? Harder to get parts? Is it just the engine that is different?
SkyCaptain
post Dec 8 2018, 07:00 PM

Getting Started

Isn't the Forrester's engine MPI as compared to the gasoline direct injection XV engine?

QUOTE(zenix @ Dec 7 2018, 07:14 PM)
supposedly the competitors are like

XV = HRV = CHR = CX3
Forrester = CRV = RAV4 = CX5

you're not wrong, forrester now and then will have big discount from normal price to around 120k something.
if you want the best deal and don't mind 120k it is the best option.
engine complexity for "normal workshops" to handle out of warranty between CX5 Skyactiv and Forrester Boxer engine is about the same, probably they'd be more familiar with the Boxer from Subaru because it is the less complicated non-turbo variant of the same engine in the Subaru WRX. Forrester and XV uses the same engine.

168 Pages « < 165 166 167 168 >Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0824sec    4.30    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th December 2018 - 12:37 PM