Plan to buy a NEW/USED car?(V3),, ASK HERE for recommendations

views

grim.fandango
post Nov 17 2018, 09:45 AM

Getting Started
97 posts

1. Brand - Any
2. Budget - RM30k
3. New/Used/Unreg - Used (at most year 2012)
4. Specs -
5. Transmission - Definitely auto
6. NA or FI - Doesn't really matter (see remark)
7. Type - Sedan/Hatchback
8. Remarks - I've owned E36 2.5 before and afterward Jazz (2015). Looking for something in between the practicality of Jazz and vrmm/handling of E36 325. I know for that budget there's a lot needed to be compromised.

I'm currently divided between Inspira and Forte.

This post has been edited by grim.fandango: Nov 17 2018, 09:49 AM
cse.my
post Nov 17 2018, 09:50 AM

Casual
452 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Nov 17 2018, 04:11 AM)
[/spoiler]

Yeah that AWD isn't cheap if you're travelling alot.
I've seen many ladies drive it but always scrounge on guys fetching them around most of the time.

2018 VW Passat 1.8T - there are some good points and bad points for this car. (1) there is the brand stigma of engine failure, gearbox failure and emissions scandal -- of course the seller knows these issues have marred the brand that's why sales slow and they need to sell their cars cheaper now so will you still support this brand if you can get a 200k car pre-reg (same year make & register) for alot cheaper within the 120-140k range (depending on spec)? Some would say no because they don't wanna support a brand that lies about emissions and wanna kill the planet....some smart buyers just want the best bang for their buck especially since all the issues have been rectified plus you still get a full 5 years warranty out of this deal and able to get new car loan rates as well (not used car interest rates even though the car has been registered by the distributor). Upkeep wise of course it is at the level of or slightly more than a Camry/Accord but of course much better than cold cars like Citroen/Renault/Peugeot those brands are notorious for getting their consumers locked into going to 3S only for repairs and parts, plus stockist don't carry most parts so they don't have a choice but that's how those brand owners in Malaysia stay alive selling so few cars. However, the biggest plus point is the fuel efficiency, performance, stability, safety and comfort. Instead of considering those used BMW 1-series at that price point might as well consider this one since it is "new".

2018 Toyta Altis 2.0V - Mazda3 is a beautiful car and the Skyactiv system gives the car hybrid like fuel efficiency however there are drawbacks in terms of upkeep, it will be more expensive than owning a Civic (non-turbo) or Altis. This is where the Altis comes in, of course among the top Japanese brands in Malaysia the current generation of Altis isn't as hot as it was with the Civic and Mazda3 stealing the show but the Altis still is the king if your pocket is the main aim. New car, matured technology (not bleeding edge like Honda Turbo or Mazda Skyactiv) but still not dinosaur stuff like they usually give. Safety features are on par. Plus fuel efficiency and upkeep are low. So this car makes the best financial sense.

[/spoiler]

Below is an image showing the difference between the 3 trim levels.
As you can see there are significant differences between the Base S vs SE & Advance critically at the braking system.
However, between the SE & Advance it is mostly flashly & creature comfort stuff.
Nothing critical, it is a personal choice.

user posted image
Ok. Thanks for detail
zenix
post Nov 20 2018, 03:34 AM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(grim.fandango @ Nov 17 2018, 09:45 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

2012 Ford Focus 2.0 - usually sellers rate the hatchs at a higher price coz they look nicer maybe they misquoted the price but imho the sedan does have a few nice accessories the hatch doesn't have like the blindspot detector. Being a C-segment hatch it is quite practical in terms of size. Upkeeping wise the parts can get rather expensive like most conti's. Handling wise there is no doubt since Ford's are known for good handling.

2012 VW Polo 1.2TSI - this is a little pocket rocket, generally much more faster and agile than the Focus and parts and upkeep can be cheap if you know where to look. However, it is smaller size than your current Jazz for interior space.

2014 Renault Fluence 2.0 - basically this is actually a re-skin for the Nissan Sylphy, practically twins for most of the oily bits. Of course the chassis and body panels are all Renault which means a better ride & handling & comfort. And a better looking interior, iinm feels more spacious as well. So if you want the conti feel but maintenance like a Japanese, then this is the choice.

QUOTE(cse.my @ Nov 17 2018, 09:50 AM)
Ok. Thanks for detail
thumbsup.gif
Jay Chua CC
post Nov 20 2018, 09:14 AM

~Dont settle for good. Demand great~
5,907 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Nov 20 2018, 03:34 AM)
[/spoiler]

2012 Ford Focus 2.0 - usually sellers rate the hatchs at a higher price coz they look nicer maybe they misquoted the price but imho the sedan does have a few nice accessories the hatch doesn't have like the blindspot detector. Being a C-segment hatch it is quite practical in terms of size. Upkeeping wise the parts can get rather expensive like most conti's. Handling wise there is no doubt since Ford's are known for good handling.

2012 VW Polo 1.2TSI - this is a little pocket rocket, generally much more faster and agile than the Focus and parts and upkeep can be cheap if you know where to look. However, it is smaller size than your current Jazz for interior space.

2014 Renault Fluence 2.0 - basically this is actually a re-skin for the Nissan Sylphy, practically twins for most of the oily bits. Of course the chassis and body panels are all Renault which means a better ride & handling & comfort. And a better looking interior, iinm feels more spacious as well. So if you want the conti feel but maintenance like a Japanese, then this is the choice.
thumbsup.gif
The polo hatch tsi is not as problematic car? Maintenance wise ,expensive right>? samo its, a 2012 unit. Hav about 30k budget too.
Mattrock
post Nov 20 2018, 10:29 AM

Casual
346 posts

[quote=zenix,Nov 17 2018, 03:47 AM]
[/spoiler]

2009 Toyota Vanguard 2.4L - in some markets it is called the Vanguard but it is really the Rav4 3rd generation. if you're looking for easy upkeep SUV at relatively low price maybe you can consider this one, Vanguards like most RAV4's are recon/import only so their used value is relatively low but being import the quality and spec is better than local/ASEAN models. Most Vanguards will be around the 45k-70k price range depending on year and spec for this model, newer facelift or unreg will be near the 100k mark. The engine for the 2.4L model is either the 2AR-FE or 2AZ-FE which can be found in the Vellfire, Alphard, Estima, Camry....so yeah don't worry about parts it is quite common.

Thanks.
badmoodblast
post Nov 20 2018, 01:25 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

1. Brand - Any
2. Budget - RM50-60k
3. New/Used/Unreg - Used (Not more than 5 years old)
4. Specs -
5. Transmission - Auto
6. NA or FI - Either one
7. Type - Sedan/SUV
8. Remarks - Actually I am comparing between Hyundai Elantra & Subaru XV or maybe Kia Cerato, my main concern would be on the maintenance costs and spare parts availability and of course durability (wont breakdown easily). I am working as a salesperson which requires alot of travelling across states, SUV is my top choice due to that reason. I have heard that Korean cars are never being well-known for their durability while my worry on Subaru XV is the spare parts availability and costs in case of any breakdowns. SIFUsss out there, any advice would be highly appreciated! Thank you!!!
lsm1991
post Nov 20 2018, 06:44 PM

Getting Started
297 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Nov 12 2018, 11:53 PM)
lsm1991 mana u?
ahh me lama hilang..... much busy these days... and my car is being a pain in the arse~
kcirdenk
post Nov 21 2018, 08:42 AM

Getting Started
179 posts

Hi guys..

I'm planning to buy my first car but the car that im currently driving is not under my name. So, is it possible to trade-in the old car for the new car? will they accept it?

thanks.
xproc
post Nov 22 2018, 01:37 PM

free for all
4,395 posts

1. Brand : picanto, myvi, jazz, Mazda 2
2. Budget : 50-75
3. New/Used/: new
4. Specs :
5. Transmission :
6. NA or FI :
7. Type :
8. Remarks : my gf car, current she drive 2010 myvi looking to buy car for daily commute work and travel long once per month or so. Any comment for these four car or any within the similar range?
aaronic
post Nov 23 2018, 01:17 PM

14 posts

QUOTE(kcirdenk @ Nov 21 2018, 08:42 AM)
Hi guys..

I'm planning to buy my first car but the car that im currently driving is not under my name. So, is it possible to trade-in the old car for the new car? will they accept it?

thanks.
Hi, I have PM

This post has been edited by aaronic: Nov 23 2018, 02:48 PM
zenix
post Nov 25 2018, 06:03 PM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(Jay Chua CC @ Nov 20 2018, 09:14 AM)

Polo/Vento have two variants in the market now.
The 1600cc MPI n/a engine with 6 speed slush box or 1200cc TSI engine with 7 speed DSG.
The newer batches have all the TSI and DSG issues resolved from the factory so better reliability but since they're complicated technology of course if it breaksdown or needs replacement once warranty over it is going to be expensive. Older ones which you see floating around cheaply are probably cause owners got fedup of the cars before VW came out with the solutions to fix it, if you're looking for a value buy this might be it but i'd suggest you go lurk in VW Polo forums to get further information from actual owners on what to expect from real world maintenance and if buying older ones with the issues what are fixes or where to fix the bugs.

Of course if you have a higher sub-50k budget i'd recommend you get a pre-reg Polo/Vento -- interested in this you can PM me for further info.

QUOTE(Mattrock @ Nov 20 2018, 10:29 AM)

you're welcome!

QUOTE(badmoodblast @ Nov 20 2018, 01:25 PM)

usually for sales people i'd recommend to go for a new Myvi, Axia or Bezza because of the high mileage involved.
the math works out like this you buy a 37k bezza for example, with sales person high mileage you should be near 200,000km within 5 years.
often than not a sales person although time is quite flexible but would rather have a reliable car than waste time at workshops instead of yumcha sessions with clients.
also some a*hole companies think they own the person's life would expect a salesman to be 100% working during office hours so a reliable car is a must.
thus a bezza/axia makes since as you're spending sub40k for a new car that will last 5 years which have decent resale value so in another 5 years you can replace it with another car/model within that price range and start the process again.

however if you do a lot of inter-state travel I don't really suggest going for b-segment car like myvi, vios, city because it lacks long distance highway NVH, comfort, performance and safety.

2014 Toyota Altis 1.8 G-spec - I think you should go for a C-segment car, this is an ultra reliable car. It as timing chain so don't need to worry about timing belt snapping and killing your engine in the middle of no where when you're speeding across states. You'll be able to cruise around at higher speeds at lower rpm thus better fuel consumption. And of course more spacious and comfortable with better safety features. I mean of course you can use an A-segment (Axia/Bezza) or B-segment (Myvi/Vios) to cross states but trust me it will be your taxing on your body and mind.

The equivalent would be Nissan Sylphy and Honda Civic but at that price range you'd only get a Civic FD Hybrid which I think you'd wanna stay away from those if you're focusing on lowering your upkeep, Civic FD which have become the new riceboy car so it's going to be abused so stay away. Sylphy is decent but it has a weak gearbox that can overheat, it is cheaper than Civic and Altis but if you're considering it remember to get a gearbox oil cooler for it.

2016 Renault Fluence 2.0 - this is actually a Sylphy re-skin so if you like the Sylphy cheapness but hate the design you can consider this.

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ Nov 20 2018, 06:44 PM)

LOL.....few days back I almost bought a GTO laugh.gif

QUOTE(kcirdenk @ Nov 21 2018, 08:42 AM)

Yes, the process will be more painless if you're buying new car instead of used/recon.
Just tell the SA you want to trade-in your mom's car.
After evaluation the used car dealer will give you the price then you can say yes/no.
What happens next depends on how terror your SA.

If he not so terror you have to give your car to the used car dealer immediately.
Then you'll receive a bankers cheaque with the agreed amount.
You can cash it in and use it fully to pay for the new car or deposit.

If your SA is like world class type you can continue to use your car (just make sure nothing happens to it during this time before the transaction is complete).
The SA and dealer will make a side deal so money goes into the car company (e.g. Honda).
You can use 100% of the money or just deposit and request to refund the rest in cash.
If you choose 100% then you don't need to pay anything further from the rm100 booking to sign the VSO.
Assuming bank loan no issue or trade-in can cover the sum of the new car (e.g. trade-in an Accord for a City/Jazz).
Then all you need to do is wait until all processing done then go collect new car.
Before doing so you need to sign off the final documents (DO and anything else required).
Then exchange car keys.
That's it.

zenix
post Nov 25 2018, 06:04 PM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(xproc @ Nov 22 2018, 01:37 PM)
1. Brand : picanto, myvi, jazz, Mazda 2
2. Budget : 50-75
3. New/Used/: new
4. Specs :
5. Transmission :
6. NA or FI : 
7. Type :
8. Remarks : my gf car, current she drive 2010 myvi looking to buy car for daily commute work and travel long once per month or so. Any comment for these four car or any within the similar range?
long distance back to hometown?
work in kl and family in penang?

lsm1991
post Nov 26 2018, 10:01 AM

Getting Started
297 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Nov 25 2018, 06:03 PM)
[/spoiler]

LOL.....few days back I almost bought a GTO  laugh.gif

[/spoiler]

WUT!!!??

i guess the prices of those things havent really started going up significantly, but the maintanance.....

went all the way to ipoh to view a crx on sat, seller pulled out mad.gif bangwall.gif
g9000z
post Nov 26 2018, 07:45 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

Hi all, I saw @zenix recommend renaul fluence quite a lot.
How is this car? saw the 2nd hand price oso very cheap.

how reliable is the CVT? since Sylphy got issue with CVT previously?
how bout those suspension. bushings, arms? Does fluence use nissan's or renault's ?
That will affect in the long term maintenance I guess?
zenix
post Nov 26 2018, 08:34 PM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ Nov 26 2018, 10:01 AM)

Yeah, the 3000cc engine not worth it in the end.....but the name GTO drool.gif
Del Sol?

QUOTE(g9000z @ Nov 26 2018, 07:45 PM)

Make sure it has the upgraded CVT with oil cooler.
Basically all the oily bits are Nissan.
Of course interior, doors, boot, bumpers are specific to Fluence.
Long term maintenance same as Nissan Sylphy.

Underneath same thing just re-skin.

lsm1991
post Nov 27 2018, 10:25 AM

Getting Started
297 posts

QUOTE(VK7 @ Nov 26 2018, 10:55 PM)
Example:
1. Brand : Honda Accord 8th Gen
2. Budget : RM55k
3. New/Used/Unreg : Used
4. Specs : Full Spec
5. Transmission : 5 Speed Auto
6. NA or FI :  FI
7. Type : 5 seater.
8. Remarks : Headache to get either accord 2.0 facelifted model (2012) or 2.4 prefacelifted model (2010)

Hello Bro Zenix. Shopping for my dad 2nd hand car. My dad got max budget Rm55k. After hunting a lot of 2nd hand car dealer and individual owner, got 2 units that my father interested.

Problem is, both car is on different year and variant. 2.0 is 2012, while 2.4 is 2010. Mileage is about the same. If my father drove 70% highway and 30% city, which fuel consumption more jimat cruising at 120km/h all the way on highway?. My father hardly drove fast, only few times reach 140km/h. In term of maximum fuel efficiency which one more jimat if my father dont drive fast  hmm.gif  hmm.gif

I ask few of my friends, they all said, better get facelifted model since it is newer, one of my friends even show prefacelifted accord got owner complained and put sticker on his accord "honda x guna". So scary. Based on my observation, 2.0 facelifted is more silent than 2.4, but 2.4 more well equipped.

I read ur statement here said, 2.4 more jimat on highway, that make me more headaches, dunno the saving from rm350 roadtax over 2.4 is justified or not, scared later become, "penny wise pound foolish". Spend less on roadtax but more on fuel.
really it also depends on your mileage and overall driving conditions... i dont believe this car is going to be driven 100% long distance. fuel economy should not be used to justify taking the 2.4 over the 2.0
**also i believe the 2.4's rt is over 2x the 2.0

Anither different is 16" tyre vs 17" tyres. Does 17" tyre last longer compared to 16" tyre under same driving pattern?. Really curious since price difference quite high.
[b]nope

Btw, tq in advance for ur reply. Cant wait to see what u repiied.
This post has been edited by lsm1991: Nov 27 2018, 10:26 AM
lsm1991
post Nov 27 2018, 10:29 AM

Getting Started
297 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Nov 26 2018, 08:34 PM)

Yeah, the 3000cc engine not worth it in the end.....but the name GTO  drool.gif
Del Sol?

this one...
user posted image

had a crapton of bits on it but xtaulah owner tu scammer ke ape... wierd part is he gained nothing out of it
vmad.gif bangwall.gif mad.gif
skeithskeith
post Nov 27 2018, 12:47 PM

19 posts

1. Brand : Any
2. Budget : Preferably around 100k, but can afford until 150k
3. New/Used/Unreg : Doesn't matters. Used cannot be older than 3years
4. Specs : Don't use much of accessories, but reverse cameras are nice.
5. Transmission : Automatic
6. NA or FI : I have really no idea on this, Im sorry, don't hesitate to embarrass me if I should know this.
7. Type : SUV (My usual routes have many holes, and sometimes there will be flood too. I generally feel at ease in a SUV)
8. Remarks : Hi, I would prefer a silent cabin suv, because I listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks, and I tend to think a lot in car when I am alone. Now driving a Honda City 2015 is really noisy. I really don't care too much about performance since I always follow maximum speed and safe driver. I would prioritize reliability and silent cabin over performance. I don't care much about styles either. I understand my price point is unrealistic for a dead silent car, but at least not as noisy as Honday City? I'm sorry sifus if I imposed too much. Hoping to get more opinions and will go test drives accordingly.
cle900706
post Nov 28 2018, 12:54 PM

Enthusiast
845 posts

1. Brand : subaru (or any jdms)
2. Budget : below 55k for cash / below 100k for loan
3. New/Used/Unreg : used/unreg
4. Specs : 2.0/2.5 (preferable 2.0 due to road tax in longer run)
5. Transmission : manual
6. NA or FI : snaill needed
7. Type : hatch/sedan (preferable hatch)
8. Remarks : so......... im actually looking for a jdm that is 2.0/2.5 with turbo, manual, 4wd if possible, suitable for daily drive, and spirited driving on weekends. probably an all rounder.

at first i thought of m3 mps but being stock itself, u need to spend quite alot to mod in order to make it almost close to a sti?
evo is a very good choice due to high parts availability and alot of people know how to repair it. BUT the price is very steep.
i guess, theres only sti that i could look for that satisfy my requirements? or is there any other cars?

so im eyeing on sti gdb ver8 (just personal preference i like the blobeye) or the sti ver10 grb (also preference on the hatch).
if it is ver10 grb, should i go 2.0 or 2.5? after much googling, 2.0 have stronger block, higher rev rpm and cheaper roadtax while 2.5 have higher lowend torque and better mod potential?

so yea.... still deciding

This post has been edited by cle900706: Nov 28 2018, 12:56 PM
Louis90
post Nov 28 2018, 01:08 PM

25 posts

QUOTE(skeithskeith @ Nov 27 2018, 12:47 PM)
1. Brand : Any
2. Budget : Preferably around 100k, but can afford until 150k
3. New/Used/Unreg : Doesn't matters. Used cannot be older than 3years
4. Specs : Don't use much of accessories, but reverse cameras are nice.
5. Transmission : Automatic
6. NA or FI :  I have really no idea on this, Im sorry, don't hesitate to embarrass me if I should know this.
7. Type : SUV (My usual routes have many holes, and sometimes there will be flood too. I generally feel at ease in a SUV)
8. Remarks : Hi, I would prefer a silent cabin suv, because I listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks, and I tend to think a lot in car when I am alone. Now driving a Honda City 2015 is really noisy. I really don't care too much about performance since I always follow maximum speed and safe driver. I would prioritize reliability and silent cabin over performance. I don't care much about styles either. I understand my price point is unrealistic for a dead silent car, but at least not as noisy as Honday City? I'm sorry sifus if I imposed too much. Hoping to get more opinions and will go test drives accordingly.
What about the upcoming facelifted Hr-v? Base model should be under 110k and it has reverse camera iinm. Its cabin is noticeably silent than the city but not really great though. Sounds from tires and road still can be heard.

For close than 150k, you should check out the cx-5 whose nvh is better even than the new Crv. But it still loses to Tiguan.

340 Pages « < 165 166 167 168 169 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0183sec    0.41    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:09 PM