Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What to consider when getting motherboard for OC?, Best bang for buck motherboard for OC

views

TSkevyeoh
post Jun 25 2016, 06:36 PM, updated 8y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,526 posts

Hi all,

Assuming if i have Asus Maximus VIII Hero board as baseline, is there any alternative board and better ones to consider for OC?

I have more or less made up my mind on the following:
i7-6700K
Noctua-D15
Casing will be using Fractal Design Define R5 but i think most board should fit anyway since this is not a mini ITX casing.

So just wondering which board i should be getting for OC.

Thanks in advance!
adilz
post Jun 28 2016, 09:27 AM

Getting Started
267 posts

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Extreme?
ktek
post Jul 12 2016, 11:58 AM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,546 posts

overclock what? cpu and ram?
the processor u pick if more important. prepare to buy different batch if cannot reach ur target speed.

mobo only provide setting which doesnt help a bad lemon cpu
TSkevyeoh
post Jul 12 2016, 08:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,526 posts

Even though if I am already buying i7 6700 and I may still need to buy diff batch? I think this is almost impossible... unless I have unlimited budget to burn... this processor is expensive and not sure how to pick diff batch also... I guess it is down to luck already...

Anyways... I have consulted a few sifus and looks like mobo may not be super important... Asus ROG Ranger may be good enough as well...

Very interesting topic on OC... still got a lot to catch up on...

QUOTE(ktek @ Jul 12 2016, 11:58 AM)
overclock what? cpu and ram?
the processor u pick if more important. prepare to buy different batch if cannot reach ur target speed.

mobo only provide setting which doesnt help a bad lemon cpu
ktek
post Jul 12 2016, 09:00 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,546 posts

QUOTE(kevyeoh @ Jul 12 2016, 08:40 PM)
Even though if I am already buying i7 6700 and I may still need to buy diff batch? I think this is almost impossible... unless I have unlimited budget to burn... this processor is expensive and not sure how to pick diff batch also... I guess it is down to luck already...
Anyways... I have consulted a few sifus and looks like mobo may not be super important... Asus ROG Ranger may be good enough as well...
Very interesting topic  on OC... still got a lot to catch up on...

see the country made. different sure got chance.
can research hwbot, which has highest clock for tips.

swp ok la, which branch u getting pc from? swisspac

This post has been edited by ktek: Jul 12 2016, 09:00 PM
kangaroonext20km
post Jul 24 2016, 11:15 AM

Getting Started
54 posts

I got a cheap asrock pro4 z170 ( like rm 550 ), and my 6600k can go to 4.6 ghz @ 1.28V . The board cant SLI/Crossfire tho.

If u wan make sure u get a good chip, u can buy a binned chip.

Example : https://siliconlottery.com/
I never buy from there before but I google some reviews it seems good. Even a guy shipped to Malaysia with it ( which is ironic because many chips come from Malaysia, shop to US to be delidded tested and relidded i think )
soulfly
post Aug 6 2016, 11:27 AM

revving towards 10,000 rpm
Group Icon
VIP
15,894 posts

You need to pick a mobo that has
- good electronic components
- good bios support
- on-board cooling is optional

Hence, pick a few boards you have in mind, then read plenty of reviews of them. Reviews will tell you in detail what the board has and does not have. Then you decide your taste and budget.
clawhammer
post Aug 20 2016, 07:20 PM

///M
Group Icon
VIP
8,788 posts

In my honest opinion, any board with overclocking capabilities will work these days. When I first started 15 years ago, there's a huge difference between the best and worse board. Today, technology is so advanced that even a mid range board can get you fantastic overclocks. The components that are being used are so much better, BIOS are brilliant and feature packed, not to mention all other things.

You really don't need the top end board unless money is not a concern for you smile.gif Besides, buying the best board doesn't mean you can squeeze 100-200 Mhz out of that CPU you're trying to OC these days.
goldfries
post Aug 21 2016, 10:59 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(clawhammer @ Aug 20 2016, 07:20 PM)
In my honest opinion, any board with overclocking capabilities will work these days. When I first started 15 years ago, there's a huge difference between the best and worse board. Today, technology is so advanced that even a mid range board can get you fantastic overclocks. The components that are being used are so much better, BIOS are brilliant and feature packed, not to mention all other things.
^ the above.

However for me I like boards with DEBUG LED and POWER / RESET button on the board.

For cheaper boards, ASROCK Z170 Extreme4 would be better than ASROCK Z170 Pro4 on this aspect, even though both can overclock.
meimeimagnetmk2
post Sep 12 2016, 11:43 AM

16 posts

QUOTE(goldfries @ Aug 21 2016, 10:59 PM)
^ the above.

However for me I like boards with DEBUG LED and POWER / RESET button on the board.

For cheaper boards, ASROCK Z170 Extreme4 would be better than ASROCK Z170 Pro4 on this aspect, even though both can overclock.
Good choice there, but it really depends on the CPU you get though. For me, I used i5 6600K and a ASRock Z170 K4 Gaming, and was able to achieve 4.4GHz stable OC

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0151sec    0.43    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:17 PM