Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Premium Antivirus, Pls recommend :)

views

TSLightningChan
post Jun 22 2016, 11:10 PM, updated 8y ago

Casual
420 posts

Hi sifus and pros.

Anyone of you guys using premium / pro version of Antivirus software a?. Right now I am quite concern about the security level of my Windows 10 lappy. I think in almost a year I've been using Windows 10 I've completely reset the OS(Removing all files) more than 5 times. Now currently using the free version of Avast but all the fancy fancy stuff made me feel that its unreliable. rclxub.gif

Previously I was using the built in Windows Defender until out of the blue I kena (few times) some strange malware that cause my browser to pop open itself and showing ads. One time I kena something that hides my file and create shotcut version of it.

As I don't download and use pirated/cracked softwares and I've been very careful with my email attachments(I don't open or read anything that looks like spam or advertisement), I suspect it may be due to external media like pendrive or external HDD being used for file transfer from my friends or class mates. sweat.gif

Any recommendations on premium paid version or really good and reliable free version of Antivirus software?. I've been eyeing on Malwarebytes since it protects against and removes rootkits as well.
scar_face008
post Jun 22 2016, 11:22 PM

opis boi
585 posts

i dont really use antivirus per se, so i cant recommend.

but i will advice on you problem.

those popup ads is usually adware or spyware. can easily be removed if you use ad remover. simply google the name of the ads it showing. it can point you to the right direction for removal.

that shortcut virus. very frustrated with that. my colleague so many times infected still doesn't learn from mistake. always find me clean the pendrive. u can see the original file if you set folder option to show hidden file and show system protected files. then u just attrib -s -h -r /s /d *.* the drive.

i usually just rkill and combofix infected PC and assume everything is good. then full scan if you use antivirus.

on a side note, some PC in my office use Kaspersky. ok ok la i think.
Ebony & Ivory
post Jun 23 2016, 03:00 AM

Enthusiast
953 posts

use built in defender + malwarebyte anti malware, should be more than enough.

if u look for paid antivirus, can try eset or norton.
TSLightningChan
post Jun 23 2016, 09:40 AM

Casual
420 posts

QUOTE(scar_face008 @ Jun 22 2016, 11:22 PM)
i dont really use antivirus per se, so i cant recommend.

but i will advice on you problem.

those popup ads is usually adware or spyware. can easily be removed if you use ad remover. simply google the name of the ads it showing. it can point you to the right direction for removal.

that shortcut virus. very frustrated with that. my colleague so many times infected still doesn't learn from mistake. always find me clean the pendrive. u can see the original file if you set folder option to show hidden file and show system protected files. then u just attrib -s -h -r /s /d *.* the drive.

i usually just rkill and combofix infected PC and assume everything is good. then full scan if you use antivirus.

on a side note, some PC in my office use Kaspersky. ok ok la i think.
Sound's complicated. haha.

Thanks for your tips and advise but I prefer prevention better than a fix after getting infected. biggrin.gif
TSLightningChan
post Jun 23 2016, 10:57 AM

Casual
420 posts

QUOTE(Ebony & Ivory @ Jun 23 2016, 03:00 AM)
use built in defender + malwarebyte anti malware, should be more than enough.

if u look for paid antivirus, can try eset or norton.
Ooooh.. Can have more than one instances of Antivirus running at the same time?. Din't know that.

Thanks for your suggestion ya rclxms.gif
scar_face008
post Jun 23 2016, 12:42 PM

opis boi
585 posts

QUOTE(LightningChan @ Jun 23 2016, 09:40 AM)
Sound's complicated. haha.

Thanks for your tips and advise but I prefer prevention better than a fix after getting infected.  biggrin.gif
prevention is a must, but fixing it without resorting to data loss is still better than formatting.

QUOTE(LightningChan @ Jun 23 2016, 10:57 AM)
Ooooh.. Can have more than one instances of Antivirus running at the same time?. Din't know that.

Thanks for your suggestion ya  rclxms.gif
not 2 AV. built-in AV + anti-malware.

anyway, IMO most paid AV is quiet similar. they're competitive also. just choose which one can ngam with you only.
BlueWind
post Jun 23 2016, 02:15 PM

Sianzation
2,898 posts

People get infected is because of their surfing habits. The lack of knowledge and safe surfing practice is the main cause of getting infected.

A good rule of thumb for securing your PC is to have 1 Anti Virus, 1 Anti-Malware, and a firewall. Windows built in firewall is good enough.

Usually freeware like MBAM and AV is sufficient to protect your PC. What is more important is your browsing habits. If you want all in one solution, by all means you can go with Kaspersky Internet Security, ESET, etc. You can't go wrong with those. Personally I don't think they are necessary.

Anyhow, below is the advice I give when helping out people that are infected with malware after cleaning. Hope it helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MICROSOFT UPDATES
It is very important that you get all of the critical updates for your Operating System and Internet Explorer. Keeping your OS and browser up to date will help make you less susceptible to attacks by Trojans and viruses. Please always ensure that you check and download all the critical updates to help prevent possible re-infection.

Passwords
It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article
Strong passwords: How to create and use them and consider a password keeper, to keep all your passwords safe.

SPYWARE PREVENTION
This is a good time to set up protection against further attacks. In light of your recent problem, I'm sure you'd like to avoid any future infections. Please read these well written articles:To help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs if you do not already have them:
  • WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
    • Green to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop
[indent]WOT has an add-on available for both Firefox and IE.[/indent]
  • SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, blocks cookies, and restricts the actions of "bad" sites. See tutorial here
  • MVPS HOSTS FILE replaces your current HOSTS file with one that will restrict known ad sites from serving you unsolicited advertisements. It basically prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting the attempted connections to 127.0.0.1, which is the IP of your local computer. See guide here and for Windows Vista here
    • Download Host.zip and Save it to your Desktop.
    • Right-click hosts.zip and select 'Extract all files' or 'Extract files...'.
    • Follow the prompts and click 'Finish'.
    • This will open the newly created hosts folder on your Desktop.
    • Double-click on the included mvps.bat file, this will rename the existing HOSTS file to HOSTS.MVP, then it will copy the included updated HOSTS file to the correct location on your machine.
    • Once updated you should see another prompt that the task was completed.
Follow this list and keep your antivirus program and antispyware programs updated and scan with them on a regular basis. By doing so, your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Hopefully this should take care of your problems! Good luck.

This post has been edited by BlueWind: Jun 23 2016, 02:16 PM
Ebony & Ivory
post Jun 23 2016, 05:52 PM

Enthusiast
953 posts

QUOTE(LightningChan @ Jun 23 2016, 10:57 AM)

Thanks for your suggestion ya  rclxms.gif
malwarebyte is not av, it is an anti malware which specially design to run with other av.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/articles/antiv...vs-antimalware/
JML
post Jun 25 2016, 09:50 AM

Getting Started
267 posts

is it im living in year 2000?
anyone still using free AVG ?
because i still am using it.. lol
and it is offering 25th anniversary discount
AVG 25th anniversary offer

is it worth buying? RM 102 / year, unlimited install
TrialUserXP
post Jun 25 2016, 12:17 PM

Enthusiast
725 posts

i would suggest kaspersky internet security, unfortunately it doesnt support insider preview builds...
DellMalaysia
post Jun 27 2016, 11:16 AM

Kindly look at my previous successful threads
735 posts

QUOTE(LightningChan @ Jun 22 2016, 11:10 PM)
Hi sifus and pros.

Anyone of you guys using premium / pro version of Antivirus software a?. Right now I am quite concern about the security level of my Windows 10 lappy. I think in almost a year I've been using Windows 10 I've completely reset the OS(Removing all files) more than 5 times. Now currently using the free version of Avast but all the fancy fancy stuff made me feel that its unreliable.  rclxub.gif

Previously I was using the built in Windows Defender until out of the blue I kena (few times) some strange malware that cause my browser to pop open itself and showing ads. One time I kena something that hides my file and create shotcut version of it.

As I don't download and use pirated/cracked softwares and I've been very careful with my email attachments(I don't open or read anything that looks like spam or advertisement), I suspect it may be due to external media like pendrive or external HDD being used for file transfer from my friends or class mates.  sweat.gif

Any recommendations on premium paid version or really good and reliable free version of Antivirus software?. I've been eyeing on Malwarebytes since it protects against and removes rootkits as well.
BitDefender Total Security smile.gif
eclectice
post Jun 27 2016, 11:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,708 posts

You can try Avast http://bit.ly/avastpromotion

This post has been edited by eclectice: Jun 27 2016, 11:49 AM
perfectgrowwell
post Jun 27 2016, 06:01 PM

Getting Started
178 posts

You may try each AV product for couple of months, later you choose which one is more suitable for yourself.

kongming
post Jun 28 2016, 06:45 PM

I don't care
1,984 posts

Now I am using Windows 10 Defender and Windows 10 Firewall.
I want to upgrade to BitDefender 2016.
counterspider
post Jul 5 2016, 04:41 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

I been tried both kaspersky internet security & Bitdefender total security. Used KIS for years, laptop no viral infection issue since then. I am currently using Bitdefender total security due to its promotion early this year. If compare both , KIS will show you it is hardworking to scan your pc or even any action it try to do. Bitdefender is almost self doing its job at the background. Bitdefender more save in term of memory usage. so far no major issue or any infection encountered.
junsheng
post Jul 6 2016, 02:53 AM

---> pokemon ftw <---
1,253 posts

u can use trend micro internet security, i used it for sometime already,
it is easy and fast
DellMalaysia
post Jul 7 2016, 11:13 AM

Kindly look at my previous successful threads
735 posts

QUOTE(kongming @ Jun 28 2016, 06:45 PM)
Now I am using Windows 10 Defender and Windows 10 Firewall.
I want to upgrade to BitDefender 2016.
QUOTE(counterspider @ Jul 5 2016, 04:41 PM)
I been tried both kaspersky internet security & Bitdefender total security. Used KIS for years, laptop no viral infection issue since then. I am currently using Bitdefender total security due to its promotion early this year. If compare both , KIS will show you it is hardworking to scan your pc or even any action it try to do. Bitdefender is almost self doing its job at the background. Bitdefender more save in term of memory usage. so far no major issue or any infection encountered.

Yup definitely the best among the best cool2.gif brows.gif
wkphang
post Jul 19 2016, 06:55 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

personally i use both KIS, and BD... no problem at the moment.
gohkokho
post Jul 19 2016, 07:03 PM

Casual
364 posts

I used McAfee for few years now for few PC. So far all OK. (touch wood)
mimran
post Jul 21 2016, 05:52 PM

10 posts

i always update my windows 10 and built in windows defender worked pretty much for me.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0184sec    0.26    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:03 PM