Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travelling with children, How to go about it?

views

TScarmenyta
post Jun 22 2016, 11:09 AM, updated 8y ago

Getting Started
266 posts

Planning for a short term goal - travelling with my children (7yo and 10yo). Hope to do it by this year end or the next.

I'm torn between japan and australia but if anyone has other places to recommend, I'm all ears.

I'll be bringing them alone so it's pretty daunting. Hoping to read some tips from other parents who has travelled with children. smile.gif
inachi
post Jun 22 2016, 09:32 PM

i don troll
1,097 posts

QUOTE(carmenyta @ Jun 22 2016, 11:09 AM)
Planning for a short term goal - travelling with my children (7yo and 10yo). Hope to do it by this year end or the next.

I'm torn between japan and australia but if anyone has other places to recommend, I'm all ears.

I'll be bringing them alone so it's pretty daunting. Hoping to read some tips from other parents who has travelled with children. smile.gif
don see any issue with japan and australia..guess it really depends which place you are more interested in.. smile.gif

well..at least they are not those infant that needs carrying.. biggrin.gif
TScarmenyta
post Jun 29 2016, 10:47 PM

Getting Started
266 posts

QUOTE(inachi @ Jun 22 2016, 09:32 PM)
don see any issue with japan and australia..guess it really depends which place you are more interested in.. smile.gif

well..at least they are not those infant that needs carrying.. biggrin.gif
decided australia will be the first place to go cause... English. hahaha

QUOTE(SummerOntheWay @ Jun 29 2016, 03:22 PM)
What do you expect from this travel? I suggest to go to Hawaii. But travelling can be a bit expensive, so I suggest you to use cheap flights airlines. It will save your money. Hawaii has a lot of family resorts. Your kids can have fun near the pool and you can rest at the bar for instance smile.gif
Hawaii? that's interesting. No one has ever recommended me that place even. will put it in the list.
Mmm just expecting some fun adventure with my 2 kids I suppose. want to encourage them see the world.

and i need company. biggrin.gif
inachi
post Jul 1 2016, 12:16 PM

i don troll
1,097 posts

QUOTE(carmenyta @ Jun 29 2016, 10:47 PM)
decided australia will be the first place to go cause... English. hahaha

Nice..Remind me of this tongue.gif
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/28/snapchat-mi...-life-more.html
frontier008
post Jul 4 2016, 02:45 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

Is there any issues with Japan, whether is it good for baby or toddler to go there because of the radiation that have not yet fully dispersed due to the explosion in nuclear reactor?

There is a mix comment that there is no radiation and some say the radiation is still quite present there. And that baby/toddler immunity is not as strong as adult.
cc980024
post Jul 15 2016, 09:46 AM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(frontier008 @ Jul 4 2016, 02:45 PM)
Is there any issues with Japan, whether is it good for baby or toddler to go there because of the radiation that have not yet fully dispersed due to the explosion in nuclear reactor?

There is a mix comment that there is no radiation and some say the radiation is still quite present there. And that baby/toddler immunity is not as strong as adult.
We brought our 5yrs old child to Osaka in 2013. As that was the year where their Yen was low. Not much tourist there, hence we get to enjoy a calmer trip and more friendly Japanese. Thou we can't speak Japanese, but it makes us feel more comfortable than in home country. And we went again last year, same place, same hotel. But Yen grow so much higher, with blooming of China tourist, crowded.. thou everywhere you can easily find Chinese speaking sales, and Chinese guidelines, but the friendliness no longer the same. Probably dealing too much of China tourist that make the local fed up as well.

If you intend to bring young kids, guess Australia could be much better (thou I never been there). As this few years Japan is a hotspot for China tourist. That's the reason their Yen increases drastically. And by the way, correct me if I am wrong. Australian $ more affordable than Yen now, right?

As for radiation, we are more worry about car accident, murderous act in home country, than the possibility of kena radiation in Japan. tongue.gif
TScarmenyta
post Jul 15 2016, 10:00 AM

Getting Started
266 posts

QUOTE(cc980024 @ Jul 15 2016, 09:46 AM)
We brought our 5yrs old child to Osaka in 2013. As that was the year where their Yen was low. Not much tourist there, hence we get to enjoy a calmer trip and more friendly Japanese. Thou we can't speak Japanese, but it makes us feel more comfortable than in home country. And we went again last year, same place, same hotel. But Yen grow so much higher, with blooming of China tourist, crowded.. thou everywhere you can easily find Chinese speaking sales, and Chinese guidelines, but the friendliness no longer the same. Probably dealing too much of China tourist that make the local fed up as well.

If you intend to bring young kids, guess Australia could be much better (thou I never been there). As this few years Japan is a hotspot for China tourist. That's the reason their Yen increases drastically. And by the way, correct me if I am wrong. Australian $ more affordable than Yen now, right?

As for radiation, we are more worry about car accident, murderous act in home country, than the possibility of kena radiation in Japan. tongue.gif
Thanks! been waiting for a review like this. smile.gif

I think the China Chinese tourists are everywhere now, even in Australia. Makes me feel wary what the locals might think of me. Oh well... not going to stop me from travelling. smile.gif
sacwoc
post Jul 15 2016, 10:21 AM

Casual
306 posts

QUOTE(cc980024 @ Jul 15 2016, 10:46 AM)

Just FYI, yen increase drastically is not because of Chinese Tourist. Price increase might be because of them but not yen increase. In fact, Japan would prefer the yen to drop instead. Anyway this is not a economy topic. smile.gif

Back to topic, AU and JP are totally two different culture and even their seasons are "terbalik" smile.gif Travelling around Japan with kids is actually not an issue even to the outskirst as can go to everywhere easily as its well connected with trains and buses. For AU you can rent a car and drive as the country is pretty big. Of course language is main issue here but if you are in big cities like Tokyo or Osaka, you would be able to find ppl able to speak English and restaurants with English menu too.
cc980024
post Jul 15 2016, 11:23 AM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Jul 15 2016, 10:21 AM)
Just FYI, yen increase drastically is not because of Chinese Tourist. Price increase might be because of them but not yen increase. In fact, Japan would prefer the yen to drop instead. Anyway this is not a economy topic. smile.gif

Back to topic, AU and JP are totally two different culture and even their seasons are "terbalik" smile.gif Travelling around Japan with kids is actually not an issue even to the outskirst as can go to everywhere easily as its well connected with trains and buses. For AU you can rent a car and drive as the country is pretty big. Of course language is main issue here but if you are in big cities like Tokyo or Osaka, you would be able to find ppl able to speak  English and restaurants with English menu too.
There was already reports mentioned that tourism causes their currency goes up. That could not be the key reason but for sure it play a big role. I was a bit upset when I planned for my last year trip and survey what happen to Japan that causes a sudden hike. It seems that besides their govt policy of increasing taxes, infact is the Chinese and Korean. As they have diverted their holidays to Japan instead of Europe. Is like a trend. When I went there in 2013, it was around 27.00 where you cannot really spot a Chinese tourist there. And my travel last year currency at 36.00 with Chinese tourist everywhere. Saw how they wrap up fishes and strawberries to be brought home. And by the way, you don't really need English there coz either you get into shop where the owner can't really provide English to you, or if they did.. Chinese language is provided too. And of coz, I could be wrong, as I only visited Kansai district.

TScarmenyta
post Jul 15 2016, 11:27 AM

Getting Started
266 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Jul 15 2016, 10:21 AM)

Back to topic, AU and JP are totally two different culture and even their seasons are "terbalik" smile.gif Travelling around Japan with kids is actually not an issue even to the outskirst as can go to everywhere easily as its well connected with trains and buses. For AU you can rent a car and drive as the country is pretty big. Of course language is main issue here but if you are in big cities like Tokyo or Osaka, you would be able to find ppl able to speak  English and restaurants with English menu too.
Yes, my main issue is the language since I'll be travelling alone with my kids (7 and 10) and it will be our first time. In any case something untoward happens to me they can still communicate with the locals. But it's reassuring to know that Tokyo/Osaka has english speaking ppl around.

thanks for that review. will add tokyo/osaka to the travel list. smile.gif
cc980024
post Jul 15 2016, 11:31 AM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(carmenyta @ Jul 15 2016, 10:00 AM)
Thanks! been waiting for a review like this. smile.gif

I think the China Chinese tourists are everywhere now, even in Australia. Makes me feel wary what the locals might think of me. Oh well... not going to stop me from travelling. smile.gif
If your intention is to bring joy for kids. Probably consider Gold Coast, Australia. There are plenty of theme parks.
If your choice end up in Japan (esp Osaka) and if you have boys who fancy Gundam. Make sure spare some luggage space and sapu the Gundam from there. By the way, you are looking at this year end? when bringing kids, do consider bout whether you want it to be winter or not.
TScarmenyta
post Jul 15 2016, 11:50 AM

Getting Started
266 posts

QUOTE(cc980024 @ Jul 15 2016, 11:31 AM)
If your intention is to bring joy for kids. Probably consider Gold Coast, Australia. There are plenty of theme parks.
If your choice end up in Japan (esp Osaka) and if you have boys who fancy Gundam. Make sure spare some luggage space and sapu the Gundam from there. By the way, you are looking at this year end? when bringing kids, do consider bout whether you want it to be winter or not.
Ah yes, gold coast will definitely be in the list. went there about 20 years ago. of all places i've been to thus far, australia is still my favourite.
My kids don't watch animes except digimon and pokemon. Can get those in Osaka? I think there's one place in Japan that sells those toys right?
Might not make it this year, prolly the next year but definitely will be in the year end. My kids do want to experience snow. Like real snow, not I-city snow. biggrin.gif

Did you go on your own or follow those tours?

Are there any other places you would recommend?
cc980024
post Jul 15 2016, 12:08 PM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(carmenyta @ Jul 15 2016, 11:50 AM)
Ah yes, gold coast will definitely be in the list. went there about 20 years ago. of all places i've been to thus far, australia is still my favourite.
My kids don't watch animes except digimon and pokemon. Can get those in Osaka? I think there's one place in Japan that sells those toys right?
Might not make it this year, prolly the next year but definitely will be in the year end. My kids do want to experience snow. Like real snow, not I-city snow. biggrin.gif

Did you go on your own or follow those tours?

Are there any other places you would recommend?
Yah, Osaka Denden town have all those Japanese toys. My son is 9yrs old and he fancy Gundam only. We went diy ourselves. And was co-incident that the hotel I booked is in the centre of those areas for my son's toys and my hubby's favourite LP (vinyl disk). Never know bout that earlier as booking hotel by luck (1st time visit). Hence, last year (2nd trip) we get bk the same hotel coz know the place a bit better.

If need to be school holiday and snow, go Hokkaido and try to be as late December as possible coz their snow park open when nearer to Xmas. Check out Japan ANA flight and stopover at Tokyo before fly to Hokkaido. ANA sometime have great deal and more worth than flying our local budget airline. I was surveying this earlier thinking to bring my kid to Hokkaido this year end. But recently UK Pound is attractive, hence we changed plan to go UK instead (without kid). To compensate the kid, tentatively named Gold Coast for his next visit in mid June next year. But he will be very sad coz had already save up $ for his Gundams.

But if your kid have not been to winter travel before, you may need to spare out some extra budget for their clothing. As my son already had that, so everytime we plan for vacation, try to be on winter as to make full use of his winter gear before he outgrown it. biggrin.gif

Other than Japan, my kid have his annual trip to Phuket coz he love to swim. So not sure of any other suitable country.
sacwoc
post Jul 15 2016, 01:06 PM

Casual
306 posts

QUOTE(cc980024 @ Jul 15 2016, 12:23 PM)
There was already reports mentioned that tourism causes their currency goes up. That could not be the key reason but for sure it play a big role. I was a bit upset when I planned for my last year trip and survey what happen to Japan that causes a sudden hike. It seems that besides their govt policy of increasing taxes, infact is the Chinese and Korean. As they have diverted their holidays to Japan instead of Europe. Is like a trend. When I went there in 2013, it was around 27.00 where you cannot really spot a Chinese tourist there. And my travel last year currency at 36.00 with Chinese tourist everywhere. Saw how they wrap up fishes and strawberries to be brought home. And by the way, you don't really need English there coz either you get into shop where the owner can't really provide English to you, or if they did.. Chinese language is provided too. And of coz, I could be wrong, as I only visited Kansai district.
Nah, tourist dont really play a big role in the yen going up. Impact is more to investor like what George Soros did to Malaysia and also the policy of Bank of Japan. However I wish it stays that way as I am earning yen now. smile.gif Also luckily the tax raise to 10% have been postpone. However not sure how long they can wait as their pension fund is going bust soon. But you are right about Chinese tourist. Very easy to recognized them as they normally travel around in luggage as they normally "sapu" a lot of stuff in bulk.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0175sec    0.10    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:46 PM