Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Chinese School v. International School - pros/cons, Tell me your personal experiences

views

TSkwackers
post Jun 21 2016, 02:54 PM, updated 6y ago

Casual
349 posts

Not sure if this is the best sub-forum to post it, but "Pregnancy & Parenting" seems geared more towards pre-school and day-care while "Education Essentials" is more college/university-oriented.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. My wife and I plan to send our kids to a Chinese primary school and then later on to a local International secondary school.

2. She can speak Mandarin, but we speak only English at home; neither of us will be able to help our kids with any Chinese homework.

3. My parents are insistent that the kids attend International primary and secondary schools. *

4. I went to an International School, and from personal experience, I believe my kids would get a stronger educational foundation from attending a Chinese primary school. **

5. I hope to hear either first-hand perspectives from students/former students or from parents; arguments for/against Chinese schools and International schools. Is it difficult for a Chinese primary student to adapt to an International secondary school?

* My parents believe that by transitioning from a Chinese primary school to an International secondary school, my kids will be at a disadvantage, they will have to work to catch up to their peers, will experience a lack of confidence from having learned Science and Maths in Chinese; in their words, they'll be "ruined" by Chinese school.

** The debate is not about cost, but about the quality of education and other factors. Even if they could attend an International school for free, I would want send my kids to a Chinese school. I'll accept the negative aspects for which Chinese schools are criticised if it means my kids will learn to be disciplined and taught to work hard and be self-sufficient.
donald88
post Jun 21 2016, 03:06 PM

Casual
357 posts

My kid was in Chinese Primary before attending International Secondary. No problem with that.

My kid was conversing in English before primary school but switched over to Mandarin less than a year there. Before joining International Secondary, I enrolled my kid in Ace Edventure to improve level of English just to be safe.
goldrush
post Jun 21 2016, 03:21 PM

Getting Started
214 posts

back to 70's and 80's, most of the kids studied chinese priumary school, then sekolah kebangsaan.. then uni...

from mandarin to malay to england.... no problem what,..
TSkwackers
post Jun 21 2016, 03:32 PM

Casual
349 posts

Sorry, but that was a very different time.

By every account I've heard, nobody believes that today's Sekolah Kebangsaan are up to the same standard as back in the 70s and 80s.

royalben
post Jun 21 2016, 03:54 PM

Getting Started
175 posts

Since you been to International school, l am really curious what do they teach in school other than the basic subjects ?

aaron1717
post Jun 21 2016, 04:40 PM

Chui Shui in Property Manyak Best!
All Stars
10,169 posts

I think... in the end... it depends on your child's attitude.... and parent's education.... which school they studied and manage to graduated... in the end... is their attitude determine their position in this world... I have friends' who studied in international school... in the end.... I don't see they have any advantages when come to survival in this cruel harsh world.... instead they felt like over-protected kids who can't figure out what to do with their life....
TSkwackers
post Jun 21 2016, 04:59 PM

Casual
349 posts

QUOTE(aaron1717 @ Jun 21 2016, 04:40 PM)
I have friends' who studied in international school... in the end.... I don't see they have any advantages when come to survival in this cruel harsh world.... instead they felt like over-protected kids who can't figure out what to do with their life....
You really hit it on the head there. Yes, it's a generalization, but it's pretty much our worst fear and major concern with an International school education.
aaron1717
post Jun 21 2016, 05:05 PM

Chui Shui in Property Manyak Best!
All Stars
10,169 posts

QUOTE(kwackers @ Jun 21 2016, 04:59 PM)
You really hit it on the head there.  Yes, it's a generalization, but it's pretty much our worst fear and major concern with an International school education.
but i do agree that the education standard of local schools are not up to standard... however... they are just enough to equip you with the basic to be successful in the future... and selection of local schools do impact the growth of your child as well... try target those top local secondary school... social circle also play a crucial role on their growth... i studied in government secondary school... my friends in the school are the main reason why I am able to be more independent and compete competitively in term of academic results.... I feel government school provide a harsher environment for your kids to grow well... compared to a well protected, well planned environment of International School....
prophetjul
post Jun 21 2016, 05:12 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,566 posts

Only Kaya kids go Inter schooll..........
stevenryl86
post Jun 21 2016, 07:14 PM

Regular
1,724 posts

When the parents prefer points rather than learning = fails

Education are about learning and not on getting excellent points
SupermanLick
post Jun 21 2016, 08:51 PM

👊PUNCH SOHAI🦸
1,067 posts

Learning mandarin not realistic in our career
easy say ,not important .mandarin use to talk with parents only
wueytshuan
post Jun 21 2016, 09:16 PM

38 posts

I'm not sure about the co-curricular activities in International School. But it is definitely better if you want your son to have much better exposure through these activities to be much more discipline, independent and responsible in the future. It depends because the peers he/she mixed with will be a huge influence when he/she became teenager. Education foundation is only the key to unlock the door but to be successful is all about the attitude and personality. If choose to send your kids to local school, pick the one with more developed school rather than developing school. Chinese or Kebangsaan is not a main factor. School management, teachers, population, facility, and opportunities for exposure in co-curricular, sports activities for them to learn are more important aspect in choosing a school for kids. smile.gif
oe_kintaro
post Jun 22 2016, 07:46 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,221 posts

QUOTE(kwackers @ Jun 21 2016, 02:54 PM)
Not sure if this is the best sub-forum to post it, but "Pregnancy & Parenting" seems geared more towards pre-school and day-care while "Education Essentials" is more college/university-oriented.

1. My wife and I plan to send our kids to a Chinese primary school and then later on to a local International secondary school.

2. She can speak Mandarin, but we speak only English at home; neither of us will be able to help our kids with any Chinese homework.

3. My parents are insistent that the kids attend International primary and secondary schools. *

4. I went to an International School, and from personal experience, I believe my kids would get a stronger educational foundation from attending a Chinese primary school. **

5. I hope to hear either first-hand perspectives from students/former students or from parents; arguments for/against Chinese schools and International schools.  Is it difficult for a Chinese primary student to adapt to an International secondary school?

* My parents believe that by transitioning from a Chinese primary school to an International secondary school, my kids will be at a disadvantage, they will have to work to catch up to their peers, will experience a lack of confidence from having learned Science and Maths in Chinese; in their words, they'll be "ruined" by Chinese school. 

** The debate is not about cost, but about the quality of education and other factors.  Even if they could attend an International school for free, I would want send my kids to a Chinese school.  I'll accept the negative aspects for which Chinese schools are criticised if it means my kids will learn to be disciplined and taught to work hard and be self-sufficient.
Going to a Chinese primary school (as opposed to just learning Mandarin, if that is your intention) wires one's brain differently. I've seen / heard many cases from my friends or relatives who subjected one kid to Chinese Primary first before sending to an international school and another directly to a non-Chinese primary school. Most of them say they see a big difference. (not a very good one)
v1n0d
post Jun 22 2016, 09:03 AM

Another roof, another proof.
3,197 posts

Chinese schools may produce scholastically better students, but their EQ goes down the drain unless there's a support system in place to encourage students to mix and communicate in languages other than Chinese. Transitioning from a Chinese primary school to a secondary international one seems to help overcome this communication barrier, yet still provide the basic discipline and strong foundation in maths and science.

P. S. I deal with schooleavers on a daily basis as I lecture at the diploma and bachelor's level. I find that a majority of those who studied in the Chinese/national system all the way are non-communicative, especially when it comes to having discussions in class. They don't speak their mind because they're always afraid of being wrong. Those from international schools are not afraid to spitball and justify their views, even though it may be wrong. To me, this is very important in a university education, and it's what sets it apart from school.
oe_kintaro
post Jun 22 2016, 10:46 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,221 posts

QUOTE(v1n0d @ Jun 22 2016, 09:03 AM)
Chinese schools may produce scholastically better students, but their EQ goes down the drain unless there's a support system in place to encourage students to mix and communicate in languages other than Chinese. Transitioning from a Chinese primary school to a secondary international one seems to help overcome this communication barrier, yet still provide the basic discipline and strong foundation in maths and science.

P. S. I deal with schooleavers on a daily basis as I lecture at the diploma and bachelor's level. I find that a majority of those who studied in the Chinese/national system all the way are non-communicative, especially when it comes to having discussions in class. They don't speak their mind because they're always afraid of being wrong. Those from international schools are not afraid to spitball and justify their views, even though it may be wrong. To me, this is very important in a university education, and it's what sets it apart from school.
THIS.

yes, I have reached a similar conclusion myself. Somehow people who have gone through that grinder seem to be more passive and less assertive. Done during the formative years of primary school this appears to have a long lasting effect. Kiasu and afraid to speak up or think out of the box for fear of being wrong...
So is "discipline" that important? Well, IMHO, the value of discipline can easily be picked up from learning sports or martial arts.
Hanford
post Jun 22 2016, 10:56 AM

Casual
424 posts

better go english international school

bcz im chinese secondary school/indenpendent school

after graduate to diploma or degree, very difficult to follow.

during working, no chinese in document either government or private company, all BM and English. If you want further study or self improvement, exam is english or BM only.

Malaysia culture is not fair to Chinese school.
Blofeld
post Jun 22 2016, 05:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,442 posts

QUOTE(v1n0d @ Jun 22 2016, 09:03 AM)

I observed a similar trend too at the colleges I have taught.

Chinese ed are non-communicative and those from SK or International schools are more communicative (and they write better too).

v1n0d
post Jun 22 2016, 06:11 PM

Another roof, another proof.
3,197 posts

QUOTE(Hanford @ Jun 22 2016, 10:56 AM)
better go english international school

bcz im chinese secondary school/indenpendent school

after graduate to diploma or degree, very difficult to follow.

during working, no chinese in document either government or private company, all BM and English. If you want further study or self improvement, exam is english or BM only.

Malaysia culture is not fair to Chinese school.
I disagree with this. Chinese schools are to blame for failing to teach their students how to communicate in English and Malay. Mandarin proficiency is in demand now because trade with China is priority for most businesses, but it should not be at the expense of English, nor the national language. This I feel is pure arrogance. Good news is some parents are smart enough to know this and have their children enrolled in after school programs to boost their communication skills.

QUOTE(Blofeld @ Jun 22 2016, 05:41 PM)
I observed a similar trend too at the colleges I have taught.

Chinese ed are non-communicative and those from SK or International schools are more communicative (and they write better too).
I find that in this aspect, national schools are only marginally better than Chinese-ed. Students still have that fear of being wrong.
post Jun 22 2016, 06:15 PM

lost soul
866 posts

QUOTE(goldrush @ Jun 21 2016, 03:21 PM)
back to 70's and 80's, most of the kids studied chinese priumary school, then sekolah kebangsaan.. then uni...
from mandarin to malay to england.... no problem what,..
exactly my case.
but the chinese thinking still there.
i have to re-learn my comm skill and be open.

while international school kids are outgoing and charismatic, action first talk later,
me and most of my friend who went to chinese primary tend to be quiet observant kind.
Strawberry<3
post Jun 22 2016, 06:33 PM

Trusted and Best Seller
1,763 posts

Talk from my real experience.

I studied in Chinese school from kindergarten to standard 2. I could speak Chinese but my English was 0.

Then I got transferred to International school. It was hard for me at first but I slowly picked it up and improved. Within a year can speak English fluently. So don't worry, kids can learn and improve quite fast.

But then, since I only studied English and speak English.. l can't speak and read Chinese anymore. I didn't speak Chinese at home too.

So my advice is if you want your children to study in English school and don't want them to forget the Chinese languages, better speak Chinese at home too.

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0143sec    0.38    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:27 PM