Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The Official Blu-ray Thread v17, Check 1st page 1st post for value FAQ :)

views

munchoong
post May 22 2017, 02:25 AM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(splinter @ May 20 2017, 12:15 AM)
Look around Harvey Norman and best denki not much choice of blu ray player. Where and what model u guys using?

If ultra HD 4K which player recommend?
Samsung UBD-K8500 is the only one that's officially launched here, i believe

If money is not an objection, the Oppo UDP-203 is a no-brainer
munchoong
post May 23 2017, 02:49 AM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(splinter @ May 22 2017, 11:09 AM)
How much these UHD cost you?

Also any tips to get from amazon UK or US cheap? What the different purchase from UK or US Amazon?

Also for Samsung UBD-K8500 any users here? So far most disc readable? Also i just bought Batman Vs Superman Ultra HD from Amazon US. It stated Region 1 mean most UHD Player Malaysia will support right?

Thanks
All Ultra HD Blu-ray discs are region free. So any discs bought from any where in the world can be used here.

Use http://www.blu-ray.com to compare prices and buy whichever is cheaper after converting to RM.

I have not had any problems with my UBD-K8500. I only have 8 UHD titles, and there hasn't been any compatibility issues so far.
munchoong
post May 24 2017, 12:56 AM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(splinter @ May 23 2017, 11:35 PM)
Bought mad max and Everest from amazon uk. So since  UHD 4K are region free what about the HD blu ray disc that come with also region free?

As purchase from U.K. Scare is Region 1/B
Only the 4K discs are region free.

The 1080p BDs may or may not be region free. But who cares abt the 1080p discs if you already have the 4K version?
munchoong
post Jun 2 2017, 11:46 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(splinter @ Jun 1 2017, 12:31 PM)
Hi,

Need help for those who own the Samsung UBD K8500, what the setting configuration? Can share me your setting? Mostly the picture i will go for user mode and all set to "0" as i love how my TV color right now.

HDMI deep color should off right?
Leave all to 0 to have the purest possible image from the disc

Is your TV detecting HDR from the UBD-K8500 when playing a disc? Ensure the HDMI port is configured to allow Deep Color or Wide Color (something along those lines), as it is usually disabled by default.

If you are running the UBD-K8500 via a receiver, ensure your receiver has 4K passthrough enabled (it may or may not be disabled by default) and that it is configured to allow 10-bit color (some older receivers may default to 8-bit color for 4K passthrough, check your manual to be certain).
munchoong
post Jun 9 2017, 12:31 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(splinter @ Jun 7 2017, 06:12 PM)
Hi,

Samsung k8500 UHD player only support Region A right? Cant support bluray from UK which is Region B.
Yes, the local Samsung UHD-K8500 is locked to Region A for 1080p BD playback.

Check with http://www.blu-ray.com if that particular title is Region Free or Region B locked. Not all UK Blu-ray discs are necessarily locked to Region B. Majority are actually Region Free.
munchoong
post Jun 10 2017, 11:18 AM

Casual
397 posts

I've been buying from Speedy for quite awhile... with the exception of Now You See Me, none of the titles I bought were any different from their US counterparts based on the specs and reviews in www.blu-ray.com
munchoong
post Jun 21 2017, 03:40 AM

Casual
397 posts

I didn't buy DVDs from Speedy (except from the early pre-Amazon days 20 years ago) when all the DVDs back then were imported from the US.

Generally speaking, as far as BDs go, as long as it's a WB or 20th Century Fox title, it's safe to buy from Speedy... especially during the current 4-for-RM100 sale.
munchoong
post Dec 3 2019, 02:54 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(fadthil @ Dec 1 2019, 05:10 PM)
does anybody still dwell into the black friday sales on amazon since friday... or no one here has any interest in physical copy anymore? laugh.gif

i think the price of blu-ray and 4k titles not as alluring as they used to be years ago. blush.gif  but i bought some, because some titles i held back from purchasing during streetdate releases, so they're quite a good bargain.

Black Friday / Cyber Monday
I am very happy with this year's Black Friday sales at Amazon, had mostly skipped their sales in 2017 and 2018. Have not bought this much since Black Friday 2014!

Bought the following items

AMAZON US
Aquaman 4K $7.99
Atomic Blonde 4K $9.99
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K $9.96
John Wick Chapter 3 4K $12.96
Justice League vs The Fatal Five $5.99
Kong: Skull Island 4K $9
Mission: Impossible 6-Movie Collection 4K $37.99
Predator 4K $9.99
Shazam! 4K $8.96
Spider-Man: Far From Home 4K $12.96

AMAZON UK
Christopher Nolan Collection 4K £56.99
Matrix Trilogy 4K £29.99

AMAZON CANADA
Bad Boys / Bad Boys II Double Feature 4K $14.99
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox $4.99
Justice League: War $8.99

This post has been edited by munchoong: Dec 3 2019, 02:59 PM
munchoong
post Dec 5 2019, 01:42 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(fadthil @ Dec 3 2019, 10:09 PM)
that's a big haul!! oh wOw...  shocking.gif 4K sumore. good for you thumbup.gif when will yours arrive? mine mostly after new year, if right after x'mas can be considered lucky blink.gif
Haha... good time to upgrade many BDs to 4K smile.gif

I've been waiting to pickup the original Predator for a long time, cos I never upgraded from DVD since the Blu-ray releases were very poorly reviewed.

My Amazon UK order is due 7 January

The first of my US order will apparently arrive today (one whole week earlier than scheduled), with my second order scheduled to arrive December 19.

My Amazon Canada order tak tau la... cos the Bad Boys Double Feature set is a preorder, so I am only expecting it to arrive after CNY.
munchoong
post Dec 6 2019, 08:07 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(fadthil @ Dec 5 2019, 05:08 PM)
that's great... i have not really jump onto the 4K bandwagon yet since my gears need to be upgraded first to fully enjoy the ultra high def features... although i already owned 2-3 4K titles. furthermore, i already collected like few hundreds of blu-rays so it's a bit of a task to start collecting and replacing with 4Ks now sweat.gif  sweat.gif

your amazon US order looks pretty quick... which shipping mode did you choose? certainly not standard shipping... hmm.gif

from my experience, amazon canada is the slowest of them all to arrive... btw, bad boys bundle US version already available in bluray & 4K since late last year smile.gif
I upgraded to 4K piece by piece

Upgraded receiver first in early 2016
Then upgraded TV in late 2016
Then bought my first 4K player (Samsung UBD-K8500) in mid-2017
Upgraded my 4K player to the Panasonic UB-820 a few months ago

Been slowly building up my 4K collection since, 4K titles now represents 15% of the almost 300 Blu-rays I have. No plans to completely upgrade from HD to 4K la... a lot of the titles either will never be released on 4K, or I can't justify the expense.

Definitely planning to upgrade Top Gun and the Daniel Craig Bonds next year la, and if the rumors are true Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit in 2021.

So far the only upgrades for me are the JJ Abrams Star Trek Trilogy, Matrix Trilogy, Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible movies.

I used AmazonGlobal Expedited Shipping... depending on how many items you purchase, it can even be cheaper than Standard Shipping

Bad Boys US 4K version came in some custom packaging, plus it's expensive. The Bad Boys 4K bundle was only $14.99 in Canada, so that's a no brainer.

This post has been edited by munchoong: Dec 6 2019, 08:07 PM
munchoong
post Dec 19 2019, 01:01 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(fadthil @ Dec 7 2019, 03:50 AM)
is the panasonic 4K player better than the samsung one? hmm.gif  any recommendations for a good 4K player that produced great PQ and AQ, reliable and affordable? i guess not samsung, since they already stopped manufacturing 4K players  blush.gif i used to own panasonic... but that's a dvd player, i'm more into pioneer although my current blu-ray player is sony
wOw, that's a lot of blu-ray titles if you ask me... and great 4K collection too thumbup.gif are you into star wars? i know they're not available yet in 4K (the skywalker saga) but i read it is in the works to release a boxset or something next year in conjunction with 40th anniversary of empire strikes back... technically it is already available in 4K if you have Disney+  cool2.gif 
yup, AmazonGlobal Expedited Shipping definitely faster... and nowadays they reduced the charges slightly compared to years ago.
The difference in picture quality between the Panasonic UB820 and the Samsung UBD-K8500 is very significant!

All this while, I couldn't really see the resolution difference between 1080p and 2160p... maybe it's because I have the Oppo BDP-103 as my 1080p player, so the output is already very good.

The moment I switched to the Panasonic, that's when I REALLY got to see the impact of 4K to picture quality. And the HDR optimizer really works wonders on HDR10 content. Titles such as Planet Earth II, Batman v Superman, and Avengers Endgame really look different on the Panasonic.

I used to own a Panasonic DMT-300 Blu-ray player, but gave it away after I got my Oppo BDP-103.

Not the biggest Star Wars fan, but definitely looking forward to the Skywalker Saga boxset coming 31 March 2020. Here's hoping it has Dolby Vision HDR... audio is pretty much guaranteed to be Dolby Atmos.
munchoong
post Dec 24 2019, 02:53 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(maskedchan @ Dec 23 2019, 04:08 PM)
I do go down there checked last week. RM50 for 3 titles, nothing are interesting.
I picked up X-Men: Apocalypse 3D and Resident Evil: The Final Chapter 3D from the '2 for RM88' section
munchoong
post Dec 24 2019, 02:57 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(fadthil @ Dec 20 2019, 12:09 AM)
anyone else received their black friday stuff? do share... icon_rolleyes.gif
My Black Friday orders received over the past 2 weeks...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
munchoong
post Dec 26 2019, 01:13 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(fadthil @ Dec 24 2019, 11:16 PM)
nice 4K collection... thumbup.gif i missed that mission: impossible 6-movie collection on blu-ray when it dropped to USD12.99 for just a short period doh.gif

btw that nolan collection and matrix trilogy bought from amazon uk? hmm.gif
Yeah. the Nolan Collection and Matrix Trilogy are UK versions.

The Nolan Collection is loooong out of print in the US, and Matrix Trilogy US version was almost double the price of the UK version.
munchoong
post Dec 26 2019, 04:08 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(maskedchan @ Dec 26 2019, 02:25 PM)
did Matrix Trilogy US Version become limited edition?
How much it could fetch now?
good price maybe can sell it  drool.gif  brows.gif
No, it's just that it didn't go on deep discount during Black Friday. smile.gif

In my experience, for big boxed sets usually UK version become cheaper than US version during Black Friday.
munchoong
post Dec 26 2019, 04:19 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(fadthil @ Dec 24 2019, 11:28 PM)
agreed. maybe they're clearing up old or catalogue titles... and once sold, they're not going to reorder/stock-up blush.gif the '2 for RM88' is not too bad actually – i saw GoTG 1 & 2, Thor, Captain America Winter Soldier and some other Marvel titles in this category, Jurassic World and some other top titles thumbup.gif although it's not that cheap, but certainly RM44.00 each is much2 better than the normal but ridiculously priced RM79.90 or RM99.90! doh.gif
Just take care TO AVOID Captain America: Civil War.

The Asian release of Civil War has lossy DTS-HD HR 7.1 audio, instead of the lossless DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio.

AFAIK all other MCU BDs do not have this weird problem.
munchoong
post Dec 28 2019, 04:32 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(fadthil @ Dec 28 2019, 12:51 PM)
plus the annoying "nipple" on them  laugh.gif
Apa tu? tongue.gif
munchoong
post Dec 28 2019, 04:33 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(maskedchan @ Dec 27 2019, 09:05 AM)
even without BF, usually UK version boxset cheaper than US version.
However, I only owned few UK boxset due to ugly design and bulky casing.
probably due to lazy packaging designer. just cut, copy and paste then done job  doh.gif
I think you're meaning those ugly fat Ecopaks?

I kena with the UK box sets for Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Enterprise, Downton Abbey, and How I Met Your Mother sad.gif
munchoong
post Jan 4 2020, 01:41 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(maskedchan @ Dec 31 2019, 08:58 AM)
do you consider to design your on cover page or print image from internet for BD and replace those ugly one?
Yeah. I prefer boxset that have slim casing, e.g. Matrix Trilogy from US.

I thought Europe countries will have better idea on environmental friendly by reducing plastic use, but the UK BD casing speak louder  whistling.gif
I go with whatever's the cheapest option during Black Friday tongue.gif

Don't really care too much about how it would look like on my shelf
munchoong
post Jan 29 2020, 02:47 PM

Casual
397 posts

I ordered the Bad Boys 1 & 2 4K set from Amazon Canada.... and I received the 1080p version instead!

Bah!

I contacted the help desk, and they said I have to mail them back for a full refund sad.gif

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0486sec    0.42    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:50 PM