Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

675 Pages « < 466 467 468 469 470 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

USA Stock Discussion v8, Brexit: What happens now?

views

SUSxander83
post Apr 8 2022, 11:19 PM

Blast off like a rocket
6,427 posts

QUOTE(RiriRuruRara @ Apr 8 2022, 06:12 PM)
Starbucks can buy now or can get cheaper?😃
Set a price target and stick with it with long hold

Currently Starbucks growth are mostly in China and upcoming earnings will be bad so lots of opportunities to get in then
Moneylust
post Apr 8 2022, 11:42 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

Thank you, Ramjade. This might just be the key to help me avoid the fate of many of my older colleagues, who have to work past the retirement age.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Ramjade
post Apr 9 2022, 12:08 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(Moneylust @ Apr 8 2022, 11:42 PM)
Thank you, Ramjade. This might just be the key to help me avoid the fate of many of my older colleagues, who have to work past the retirement age.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Actually options is just another tool.
Most important is save minimum 50% of your take home pay and invest the rest.
Don't get trapped by lifestyle inflation.
Ramjade
post Apr 9 2022, 08:38 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Apr 9 2022, 01:23 PM)
small cap companies do not move the market... wink.gif

just like btc... big caps drop 10%... small caps drop 30% or more...

yes the recent sp500 & nasdaq run up mostly due to big caps... I also track the russell... it's not doing as well... ppl focus too much on sp500, dow and nasdaq, but I prefer looking at the russell to get a better picture of the economy...

anyways... cheers
Ok. Let's continue here. Big caps are what's keeping the market up since November sell off.
If you take out the big cap from s&p500 and Nasdaq (the faang), market should be more red.
Lon3Rang3r00
post Apr 9 2022, 09:43 PM

Enthusiast
900 posts

QUOTE(Ramjade @ Apr 9 2022, 12:08 AM)
Actually options is just another tool.
Most important is save minimum 50% of your take home pay and invest the rest.
Don't get trapped by lifestyle inflation.
sweat.gif And i kept thinking stock investing is just buy low sell high, now i realize there is other "options" to take, will spend more time studying it. I assume the worst case scenario for any given options = you lose all your premiums? Will you get forced to buy if you sell a put option?
Ramjade
post Apr 9 2022, 10:00 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(Lon3Rang3r00 @ Apr 9 2022, 09:43 PM)
sweat.gif And i kept thinking stock investing is just buy low sell high, now i realize there is other "options" to take, will spend more time studying it. I assume the worst case scenario for any given options = you lose all your premiums? Will you get forced to buy if you sell a put option?
Of course once the stock price reach your stirke price or go below your strike price. That's why is aid you must be ok/comfortable buying 100 shares at the strike price you choose.

If you are not ok, don't bother. If course if you don't want to buy, there are 3 ways around it.
1. As it approach the strike price, just buy back the options at a loss.
2. When it's at or below the strike price buy back the options at higher loss than (1)
3. Get assigned and start selling calls on it at the strike price the following week.

If single stock too risky for you, do it on etf. And earn extra 0.5-1%per month. (True story from someone I know who only do options on spy)
Spy and qqq are good ETFs to do options on as it's very liquid hence smaller spread.

This post has been edited by Ramjade: Apr 10 2022, 12:56 AM
dwRK
post Apr 10 2022, 12:41 PM

the consummate chartist
5,118 posts

QUOTE(Ramjade @ Apr 9 2022, 08:38 PM)
Ok. Let's continue here. Big caps are what's keeping the market up since November sell off.
If you take out the big cap from s&p500 and Nasdaq (the faang), market should be more red.
you are correct... I mentioned this to TOS few days back

risk off is happening... big sell off hasn't... next week gonna be interesting

you gonna still try catch goog I guess smile.gif
Ramjade
post Apr 10 2022, 09:23 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Apr 10 2022, 12:41 PM)
you are correct... I mentioned this to TOS few days back

risk off is happening... big sell off hasn't... next week gonna be interesting

you gonna still try catch goog I guess smile.gif
Because they are the one keeping the index afloat hence that's why I said that is some mighty defensive selection.

Of course. It's so near my price now. Another USD100 drop should be enough to push it into my target. Then I will just pick up another share. Hoping to get to 5 shares so that when split happens, I can finally do covered calls on goog
dwRK
post Apr 11 2022, 09:28 AM

the consummate chartist
5,118 posts

QUOTE(Ramjade @ Apr 10 2022, 09:23 PM)
Because they are the one keeping the index afloat hence that's why I said that is some mighty defensive selection.

Of course. It's so near my  price now. Another USD100 drop should be enough to push it into my target. Then I will just pick up another share. Hoping to get to 5 shares so that when split happens, I can finally do covered calls on goog
manipulated up to give false hope n security to retailers biggrin.gif

timing for the stocks splits just when market is turning south will trap a lot of moms, pops & noobs fomo into "cheap" tsla n goog... smile.gif

commercials will definitely be shorting the market... weak hands will capitulate into their order books... laugh.gif

Ramjade
post Apr 11 2022, 10:45 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Apr 11 2022, 09:28 AM)
manipulated up to give false hope n security to retailers biggrin.gif

timing for the stocks splits just when market is turning south will trap a lot of moms, pops & noobs fomo into "cheap" tsla n goog... smile.gif

commercials will definitely be shorting the market... weak hands will capitulate into their order books... laugh.gif
I don't care about stock split as it nothing. But with Google stock split, if you can get 5 google shares once it split, can start doing covers calls already. Imagine trying to do covered call on Google now va post split.

Google is actually cheap if you look at historical valuation. Welly target is anything below usd2600.

Let them short. Like I said the redder the market, the happier I am.
Lon3Rang3r00
post Apr 11 2022, 10:56 AM

Enthusiast
900 posts

QUOTE(Ramjade @ Apr 11 2022, 10:45 AM)
I don't care about stock split as it nothing. But with Google stock split, if you can get 5 google shares once it split, can start doing covers calls already. Imagine trying to do covered call on Google now va post split.

Google is actually cheap if you look at historical valuation. Welly target is anything below usd2600.

I watched the Wheel Strategy from Kelvin learn investing Youtube video, I macam understand what he's saying but still don't know how it really works. But to be able to do what he shared, it still go back to the first thing that you've mentioned= which is to be comfortable buying the 100 shares of the stock you wanna put for option. Which Stock Splitting is actually good in this case, as the overall price to own 100 shares of the stock is significantly reduce after the split. thumbsup.gif Still i'll have to put on hold of this Options ideas until i know what am I doing.

Do I need a margin account for trading Options?

Ramjade
post Apr 11 2022, 11:14 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(Lon3Rang3r00 @ Apr 11 2022, 10:56 AM)
I watched the Wheel Strategy from Kelvin learn investing Youtube video, I macam understand what he's saying but still don't know how it really works. But to be able to do what he shared, it still go back to the first thing that you've mentioned= which is to be comfortable buying the 100 shares of the stock you wanna put for option. Which Stock Splitting is actually good in this case, as the overall price to own 100 shares of the stock is significantly reduce after the split.  :thumbsup: Still i'll have to put on hold of this Options ideas until i know what am I doing.

Do I need a margin account for trading Options?
Don't bother with "Singaporean investor/YouTube/guru". All of them want to sell you course except with chicken genius.

I learned my options via Benjie options, dream green show.

Yes and no. Margin helps you to sell puts when you don't have enough cash to do a covered put but not needed if you have enough cash.

But as mentioned as long as you are not assigned and your cash remain positive, you will never be charged any margin interest. You will get charged margin interest if your cash turns negative.
Davidtcf
post Apr 11 2022, 11:22 AM

To the moon!!
3,440 posts

what happens if example you're so confident Palantir will have its price drop, and you short on it...

then suddenly Wallstreetbets reddit people come in and pump the price.. that will not be good for your shorts and incur losses on your end? like what happened to Gamestop few years ago.
https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/st...entioned-2022-3

seems like calls is a safer bet.
Ramjade
post Apr 11 2022, 12:24 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(Davidtcf @ Apr 11 2022, 11:22 AM)
what happens if example you're so confident Palantir will have its price drop, and you short on it...

then suddenly Wallstreetbets reddit people come in and pump the price.. that will not be good for your shorts and incur losses on your end? like what happened to Gamestop few years ago.
https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/st...entioned-2022-3

seems like calls is a safer bet.
Like I said, if you are not confident, don't bother selling puts on it cause you are not comfortable with buying 100 shares of it.

That's why first rule of selling put is very important. Are you ok with buying 100 abc shares at xyz price? If no, don't bother.

Btw, palantir have zero debts, usd2bln in cash, super high gross margin and they have rich sticky customers like US govt and UK/European govt.
You don't need to worry about them going out of business anytime soon. tongue.gif

If you don't like palantir, don't buy it. I like the fundamentals of palantir and I am looking to buy more.

I never shot any stocks.

This post has been edited by Ramjade: Apr 11 2022, 12:24 PM
dwRK
post Apr 11 2022, 12:31 PM

the consummate chartist
5,118 posts

QUOTE(Ramjade @ Apr 11 2022, 10:45 AM)

sure... you are buying to get started on selling covered calls... the stock being your "collateral" ... you are not relying on price rise for profits... that will come 20 years later when you finally retire and cash out...

this is your plan... and I don't see anything wrong with it... wink.gif

I'm just saying with the splits... many ppl will fomo into it, many will not know how to use options for protection and some will get burned

when market crash during a recession, historical or actual valuation doesn't matter... everything gets dragged down the gutter... just look at the dotcom bubble... goog amzn etc all crashed big time... when Buffett says buy when there's blood in the street... he's actually also timing the market bottom... wink.gif

anyways we digress biggrin.gif goog is not a defensive stock per stock market norms/definition... current market pullback isn't indicative and invalidation of it... will have to wait for the real recession...

Ramjade
post Apr 11 2022, 01:18 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Apr 11 2022, 12:31 PM)
anyways we digress biggrin.gif  goog is not a defensive stock per stock market norms/definition... current market pullback isn't indicative and invalidation of it... will have to wait for the real recession...
Buffet have always been market timer. He buys when it's cheap/lots of fear aka market timing.

Let's see who's right or wrong when it comes to real recession for Google. Can't wait. I stand by my thesis on Google it's defensive.
TOS
post Apr 11 2022, 01:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,882 posts

QUOTE(Ramjade @ Apr 11 2022, 01:18 PM)
Buffet have always been market timer. He buys when it's cheap/lots of fear aka market timing.

Let's see who's right or wrong when it comes to real recession for Google. Can't wait. I stand by my thesis on Google it's defensive.
Of course you will be correct because your definition of "defensive" is not the market's definition in first place. laugh.gif
Ramjade
post Apr 11 2022, 01:46 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(TOS @ Apr 11 2022, 01:43 PM)
Of course you will be correct because your definition of "defensive" is not the market's definition in first place. laugh.gif
I think you misunderstood what I said. What I meant is come real recession let's see if Google fall a lot or little.

All will fall but question is by how much.

This post has been edited by Ramjade: Apr 11 2022, 01:46 PM
TOS
post Apr 11 2022, 01:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,882 posts

QUOTE(Ramjade @ Apr 11 2022, 01:46 PM)
I think you misunderstood what I said. What I meant is come real recession let's see if Google fall a lot or little.

Ok, so you are using the "market" definition of defensive. Got it.
dwRK
post Apr 11 2022, 01:57 PM

the consummate chartist
5,118 posts

QUOTE(Ramjade @ Apr 11 2022, 01:46 PM)

ok... walmart vs google... let's play... biggrin.gif

675 Pages « < 466 467 468 469 470 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0277sec    0.50    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:03 PM