Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

WTA MYVI aircon is cold but air flow is low, max at 4th setting, is like 2nd

views

TSHwoarang45
post May 5 2016, 01:53 PM, updated 8y ago

Hardcore Gamer
1,846 posts

Hi, want to ask, my wife's first gen myvi' aircon is cold, but the the wind blow is weak, tried remove and clean the blower, and change dust filter, still the same, now we have to leave it at 4th setting , used to be 2nd and 3rd, any advise or theory why and what's wrong, commonly? thanks in advance.
Zot
post May 5 2016, 02:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

Did you notice change of fan speed (from sound) when you select 1, 2, 3, or 4? If no step change, probably the speed controller bad already
chemistry
post May 5 2016, 02:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,042 posts

1) Blower motor weak
2) fan switch problem
jiash87
post May 5 2016, 02:08 PM

Casual
357 posts

Myvi has no cabin filters unless modified into it. So most likely the blower motor is dirty
cmk96
post May 5 2016, 03:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,085 posts

my wife sold her 2006 myvi early this year... the buyer of 2nd hand shop also said the same.... speed 1 like no win at all... speed 2 only have wind...i guess its normal for 1st gen myvi.
shelby_yong
post May 5 2016, 04:22 PM

On my way
550 posts

QUOTE(cmk96 @ May 5 2016, 03:36 PM)
my wife sold her 2006 myvi early this year... the buyer of 2nd hand shop also said the same.... speed 1 like no win at all... speed 2 only have wind...i guess its normal for 1st gen myvi.
mine 2nd gen...

no 1 and no2 huge different//

but no 2 some kind of too kuat ad.. no 1, too low
lsm1991
post May 5 2016, 04:29 PM

Getting Started
297 posts

if my blower was weak... personally, i would test the voltage at the blower itself... that way you should be able to tell if its the blower itself which is kaput, or the blower-resistor/wiring/control which is the cause....

in my old junk mitsu, all the fan speeds OTHER than the max speed, go through a different circuit (even has its own relay) the other speeds go through a relay then a blower-resistor. I would assume that the myvi runs on the same system?
if you know how basic electrical stuff, you can troubleshoot yourself (but some would say its too much trouble and just send it to a shop)
theanswer
post May 5 2016, 04:43 PM

Regular
1,024 posts

QUOTE(jiash87 @ May 5 2016, 02:08 PM)
Myvi has no cabin filters unless modified into it. So most likely the blower motor is dirty
got lah. behind the glove box.
theanswer
post May 5 2016, 04:44 PM

Regular
1,024 posts

QUOTE(cmk96 @ May 5 2016, 03:36 PM)
1st gen myvi yes..blower a bit mild. usually i use no.2. no.1 only use it if on highway or raining.

This post has been edited by theanswer: May 5 2016, 04:44 PM
therain01
post May 5 2016, 10:39 PM

Getting Started
219 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ May 5 2016, 04:29 PM)
if my blower was weak... personally, i would test the voltage at the blower itself... that way you should be able to tell if its the blower itself which is kaput, or the blower-resistor/wiring/control which is the cause....
Like the idea. DIY before someone ask you to change parts unnecessaryly. It's a good practice for not being chopped.
TSHwoarang45
post May 6 2016, 02:29 PM

Hardcore Gamer
1,846 posts

thanks for all the reply, actually im not good with wiring but i did took out the blower to clean properly , and change the filter, yup my wife one has filter compartment without modification needed, my own myvii also first gen also got filter compartment, just that they didn't install filter, no cutting needed too,... but my myvii also the same wind is small only at max 4 setting is usable...

as for the switch problem hmm i not sure how to check, will try figure it out, yes there is changes when changes from 1 to 4, but 1 and 2 is very weak, even at 3rd = is like 1 on my newer car like axia, on max 4th setting is like 2nd on axia... the from will feel cooling but the back seat is barely ...

im located in ipoh, any recommendation who and where to seek consultation?

This post has been edited by Hwoarang45: May 6 2016, 06:10 PM
TheLoneWolf07
post Apr 17 2019, 12:51 AM

37 posts

QUOTE(Hwoarang45 @ May 6 2016, 02:29 PM)
thanks for all the reply, actually im not good with wiring but i did took out the blower to clean properly , and change the filter, yup my wife one has filter compartment without modification needed, my own myvii also first gen also got filter compartment, just that they didn't install filter, no cutting needed too,... but my myvii also the same wind is small only at max 4 setting is usable...

as for the switch problem hmm i not sure how to check, will try figure it out, yes there is changes when changes from 1 to 4, but 1 and 2 is very weak, even at 3rd = is like 1 on my newer car like axia,  on max 4th setting is like 2nd on axia... the from will feel cooling but the back seat is barely ...

im located in ipoh, any recommendation who and where to seek consultation?
Not sure if I'm a bit too late but here's my take, I experienced the same thing. I was handed down a 1st gen myvi from my brother 2 years ago. The cooling system just isn't that great. After driving it for a few months it's due for service so I took the car to my mechanic did all the necessary but when it comes to the cabin filter there isn't any in the filter compartment so my mechanic install one in. Fast forward 2 years on my compressor finally gave in so I ended up changing the compressor as well as the condenser. It just felt worse during daytime. I was literally sweating in my car even with the a/c on full blast, I took it back to my mechanic and he advised me to replace the cooling coil which requires the whole dashboard to be dismantled, I agreed. Upon discovery I found out the reason behind the a/c saga for not being cold. Upon all those years of driving without cabin filter all the dust has blocked the airway of the cooling coil causing it to blow weak and not so cold air *picture below*. Air is blown through the cooling coil if it's stucked then obviously there won't be air coming out from the opposite side. After replacing the cooling coil the difference is obvious, even on the 1st speed of the fan is enough to make me drive comfortably during daytime but I usually set it to 2nd to get the real cold air.
The myvi is 10y/o BTW.
Moral of the story * make sure your car has cabin air filter and change it at least once a year. Or else you'll have to spend 500 on a new cooling coil.

If my explaination is innacurate or it is very helpful please let me know!!
user posted image
cempedaklife
post Apr 17 2019, 07:26 AM

Master Decoy
4,017 posts

TheLoneWolf07 Thanks Bro but cabin air filter shouldn't have impact on dirtiness of cooling coil. The air hit your cooling coil first.
ledtechn
post Apr 17 2019, 07:39 AM

Getting Started
55 posts

Just change the blower motor
jaycee1
post Apr 17 2019, 07:40 AM

AFK
2,435 posts

QUOTE(cempedaklife @ Apr 17 2019, 07:26 AM)
TheLoneWolf07 Thanks Bro but cabin air filter shouldn't have impact on dirtiness of cooling coil. The air hit your cooling coil first.
Just for information to the general public. The "cooling coil" is called the evaporator.

The radiator like thing in front of the car's radiator is called the condenser.

If anyone has or is going to get their Aircon components serviced to replaced, make sure the technician use a vacuum pump to draw air out before putting the gas in. Also change the dryer cannister when doing so.

If you get weak airflow, the following applies.

Blocked evaporator (as above)
Weak blower
Blower resistor faulty

The components are not expensive but the labour can be depending on car models ( some needs to take out the dashboard to get to)
cempedaklife
post Apr 17 2019, 09:37 AM

Master Decoy
4,017 posts

QUOTE(jaycee1 @ Apr 17 2019, 07:40 AM)
Just for information to the general public. The "cooling coil" is called the evaporator.

The radiator like thing in front of the car's radiator is called the condenser.
If anyone has or is going to get their Aircon components serviced to replaced, make sure the technician use a vacuum pump to draw air out before putting the gas in. Also change the dryer cannister when doing so.
If you get weak airflow, the following applies.

Blocked evaporator (as above)
Weak blower
Blower resistor faulty

The components are not expensive but the labour can be depending on car models ( some needs to take out the dashboard to get to)
ah....thanks for the clarfication.

i actually have an issue. once in a while, my aircon does not blow cold air anymore for a few minutes while driving (or waiting at traffic light), since dec last year.
on normal circumstances, the fan works, the magnetic clutch engage.

when it happen, there is still air flow (still strong), but most of the time it happen, i am driving and before i'm able to check out if the magnetic clutch engage at that time, it goes back on.

what could be the problem? i will be going to workshop when i find the time this month or next. worried that it could be a small fix now but if drag longer could make other major parts fail.
mushigen
post Apr 17 2019, 11:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,502 posts

I am pretty sure the filter filters dust in the air going to the evaporator.
TheLoneWolf07
post Apr 17 2019, 01:01 PM

37 posts

QUOTE(ledtechn @ Apr 17 2019, 07:39 AM)
Just change the blower motor
Why should I? It is working fine.
TheLoneWolf07
post Apr 17 2019, 01:03 PM

37 posts

Tell me then, what's the purpose of the cabin air filter? 🤔
For aesthetic purpose?
TheLoneWolf07
post Apr 17 2019, 01:03 PM

37 posts

🤔

This post has been edited by TheLoneWolf07: Apr 17 2019, 01:05 PM

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0158sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:23 AM