Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Executing dotnet app without dotnet framework

views

TSnarf03
post Apr 16 2016, 05:00 PM, updated 8y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,544 posts

For common dotnet applications to run, you need to have the correct dotnet framework installed in the PC, thats why a dotnet exe is small, cause most of the library is in the dotnet framework.

I did some google and found that there are linkers who will put all those needed dotnet framework libraries into your app, so that your app does not need to have dotnet installed in that pc, but your app will be much much bigger. I wanted to know if anybody tried this method b4 and having any issues at all with your final output ?

ISawYou
post Apr 20 2016, 09:42 AM

On my way
531 posts

have not tried this method. but the common way of doing it is to package the net framework together with the installer.
alien3d
post Apr 20 2016, 09:45 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(narf03 @ Apr 16 2016, 05:00 PM)
For common dotnet applications to run, you need to have the correct dotnet framework installed in the PC, thats why a dotnet exe is small, cause most of the library is in the dotnet framework.

I did some google and found that there are linkers who will put all those needed dotnet framework libraries into your app, so that your app does not need to have dotnet installed in that pc, but your app will be much much bigger. I wanted to know if anybody tried this method b4 and having any issues at all with your final output ?
want to know also.. long time kinda annoying build some small 5 mb script need to download dungeon of mb .net framework.. but nowdays some can even install at control panel.
rickysnapz
post Apr 21 2016, 11:00 AM

Getting Started
65 posts

Interesting topic... I also curious for those who had tried.
hades4eve
post May 25 2016, 12:17 PM

Getting Started
193 posts

Are you saying putting .NET Framework dll into and as part of your project?

It is a messy piece of work to be honest. My company was originally working on that but scrap the idea after that.
EricReynolds
post May 28 2016, 12:59 PM

6 posts

Interesting topic.
rthm93
post May 29 2016, 10:28 PM

Getting Started
109 posts

QUOTE(hades4eve @ May 25 2016, 12:17 PM)
Are you saying putting .NET Framework dll into and as part of your project?

It is a messy piece of work to be honest. My company was originally working on that but scrap the idea after that.
So far the only idea i can think of... but did come it to my mind in some cases..
hades4eve
post May 30 2016, 11:55 AM

Getting Started
193 posts

QUOTE(rthm93 @ May 29 2016, 10:28 PM)
So far the only idea i can think of... but did come it to my mind in some cases..
I see. But do you really need to do that? That is the question. To be honest, so far in production we did do that method and has yet encounter any issue. I'm not sure if this is a good practice to implement such method. We have also created a lot of "signed" (with snk) .NET dll that we use when we are doing development as well. I can't comment much as I'm not too well-versed in this.

From another perspective, I'm wondering why not you install client profile .NET framework? I heard it is much lesser weight compared to the full .NET Framework.
rthm93
post May 30 2016, 10:35 PM

Getting Started
109 posts

QUOTE(hades4eve @ May 30 2016, 11:55 AM)
I see. But do you really need to do that? That is the question. To be honest, so far in production we did do that method and has yet encounter any issue. I'm not sure if this is a good practice to implement such method. We have also created a lot of "signed" (with snk) .NET dll that we use when we are doing development as well. I can't comment much as I'm not too well-versed in this.

From another perspective, I'm wondering why not you install client profile .NET framework? I heard it is much lesser weight compared to the full .NET Framework.
The time where this idea came into my mind was that my application require a library from a runtime to be able to execute.
And we developers do not have permission to perform any installation on our servers.
We have to request infra to do so which sometimes they dont even know how to install it. doh.gif

Other times are during development, some of our developers' machine does not have the correct version installed on their machines
that caused them not able to build the solution.
Wasted quite some time to resolve the reference issue tho.. sweat.gif
hades4eve
post May 31 2016, 12:47 PM

Getting Started
193 posts

QUOTE(rthm93 @ May 30 2016, 10:35 PM)
The time where this idea came into my mind was that my application require a library from a runtime to be able to execute.
And we developers do not have permission to perform any installation on our servers.
We have to request infra to do so which sometimes they dont even know how to install it.  doh.gif

Other times are during development, some of our developers' machine does not have the correct version installed on their machines
that caused them not able to build the solution.
Wasted quite some time to resolve the reference issue tho..  sweat.gif
In that case shouldn't that be infra team issue rather than the dev issue? you can somehow come out with a deployment plan to "educate" your infra how to install and the infra guys will just follow the deployment plan to execute. On the same time, why would we use some code that can't run in server?

Not having correct version installed, this is justifiable. I myself is one of them to be honest, but I'm quite sure .NET is backward compatible? Unless you are using some top notch code that needs latest .NET framework (like myself tried to make myself a lab mouse), then you have to install the correct .NET framework. laugh.gif If you are able to justify the code that you used (either too new and not supported by current framework, or obsolete and no longer supported by current framework), why not update your code / use retro style code? smile.gif

I tried something with C#7 on old .NET framework and boom! production error... We only found out that our server farm are partially updated for .NET framework.

This post has been edited by hades4eve: May 31 2016, 12:49 PM
rthm93
post Jun 1 2016, 10:29 PM

Getting Started
109 posts

QUOTE(hades4eve @ May 31 2016, 12:47 PM)
In that case shouldn't that be infra team issue rather than the dev issue? you can somehow come out with a deployment plan to "educate" your infra how to install and the infra guys will just follow the deployment plan to execute. On the same time, why would we use some code that can't run in server?

Not having correct version installed, this is justifiable. I myself is one of them to be honest, but I'm quite sure .NET is backward compatible? Unless you are using some top notch code that needs latest .NET framework (like myself tried to make myself a lab mouse), then you have to install the correct .NET framework.  laugh.gif If you are able to justify the code that you used (either too new and not supported by current framework, or obsolete and no longer supported by current framework), why not update your code / use retro style code? smile.gif

I tried something with C#7 on old .NET framework and boom! production error... We only found out that our server farm are partially updated for .NET framework.
In the end the installation was done by our DBA...

The reference was set to specific version, so those that did not installed the latest version runtime was not able to build the solution. In the end everyone upgrade their runtime so case closed biggrin.gif
hades4eve
post Jun 4 2016, 12:04 PM

Getting Started
193 posts

thumbup.gif thumbup.gif Good that you solved your issues now thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

But weird thing is your DBA is the one who do the installation if sh!t happens Infra and DBA is done for real. devil.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0143sec    0.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:47 AM