Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Working in Japan, Malaysian working in Japan.

views

TSFlanegan
post Apr 11 2016, 02:38 PM

Getting Started
146 posts

QUOTE(wantrader82 @ Apr 11 2016, 11:48 AM)
great sharing and can make guide to japan....
There's lots of guide you can find in Japan for free.

My guide/life in Japan are more like the local. Most place I visit usually where local hang out which is cheap and reasonable.
Tourist and foreign recommended place the price usually double or triple.
key3hky
post Apr 11 2016, 10:27 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

Thanks...would you still have lobang to pull some strings on getting job there? I'm working as engineer in semi con industry...can't speak japanese.. Only understood few words.. But those words as usually used in body language movie nia
rexona
post Apr 12 2016, 07:59 AM

Getting Started
90 posts

I think one key point some of you guys are missing is that TS was physically in Japan already as a resident (student) when he networked his way into a job there.

I'd imagine it would be a lot more difficult to find one from offshore especially if you don't speak Japanese. RegentCid
nonameface
post Apr 12 2016, 08:15 AM

Getting Started
196 posts

great post TS! tried applying for engineering role end of last year, didnt make it through the 2nd round =( learning jap now tho. maybe i'll try again this year..

given the chance, you'd go back work again rite?
UJil
post Apr 12 2016, 08:27 AM

Getting Started
140 posts

nice thread, park here as future reference
x3r0x
post Apr 12 2016, 08:37 AM

11 posts

Interesting topic,parking here
charsiewking
post Apr 12 2016, 09:27 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

What about freedom? Over here if somebody complain about pm or his party sure to get in deep trouble, can get away what about Japan?
Innovation
post Apr 12 2016, 12:44 PM

Getting Started
240 posts

QUOTE(charsiewking @ Apr 12 2016, 09:27 AM)
What about freedom?  Over here if somebody complain about pm or his party sure to get in deep trouble, can get away what about Japan?
interesting thread, i been assigned to jap for awhile by my company for some project..
basically people here doesn't care much as long as you dont go and harass others ..
i have seen ppl having political talks and criticized abe openly infrnt of shinjuku station laugh.gif
TSFlanegan
post Apr 12 2016, 01:04 PM

Getting Started
146 posts

QUOTE(charsiewking @ Apr 12 2016, 12:27 PM)
What about freedom?  Over here if somebody complain about pm or his party sure to get in deep trouble, can get away what about Japan?
QUOTE(Innovation @ Apr 12 2016, 03:44 PM)
interesting thread, i been assigned to jap for awhile by my company for some project..
basically people here doesn't care much as long as you dont go and harass others ..
i have seen ppl having political talks and criticized abe openly infrnt of shinjuku station  laugh.gif
Yup, you have the freedom to voice out... Public or Online.
How this happens, all started from the 3/11 incident. The Tsunami, Earthquake and Nuclear Reactor Explosion at West Tohoku.

The Japanese, especially young one (millenials) started to voice out more on their opinion and lost trust on their politician.
Since most politician in Japan are comes from family generation, age between 50-70 and doesn't think much about the situation.

Places like Shibuya and Shinjuku always have big demo once in a while or in-front of parliament diet at Kokkaigijidomae.
Got invited to join my bunch of my friend, especially those hip-hop lifestyle friend who believe in changes and new policy for the future of Japan.
They sick and tired of ponzi tax for elderly retirement fund and also negative interest on their bank account especially those who earn a lot.

Of course once in a while if they bump into right wings (those who still believe empire era with black vans and huge microphone and speaker on top of the car wandering around tokyo) they'll exchange abusing words each other or didn't layan them. If you can read Japanese and check some of the right wing troller comments on youtube or blog where normal Japanese voice out. It is actually worst than troll or different extreme supporter like what we read in Malaysia. Some even took to another level and create a scandal just to shut them off. Which causing them losing jobs, hard to find a jobs etc. Yes, worst than the kurang ajar's if you know what I mean.

Yeah, when you got the freedom sometimes you need to fight with those extreme right wing people too.
Sometimes freedom will exploit your personal life if you goes all the way.
TSFlanegan
post Apr 12 2016, 01:22 PM

Getting Started
146 posts

QUOTE(key3hky @ Apr 12 2016, 01:27 AM)
Thanks...would you still have lobang to pull some strings on getting job there? I'm working as engineer in semi con industry...can't speak japanese.. Only understood few words.. But those words as usually used in body language movie nia
QUOTE(rexona @ Apr 12 2016, 10:59 AM)
I think one key point some of you guys are missing is that TS was physically in Japan already as a resident (student) when he networked his way into a job there.

I'd imagine it would be a lot more difficult to find one from offshore especially if you don't speak Japanese. RegentCid
Yup, Networking (a.k.a Lubang) is important and easier to get connection. Japanese language is a must, don't need to be super fluent but conversational level where both party understood.

--

Bingo!
Rexona get it right.

If you want to work in a foreign land. Not sure what's your plan, maybe for experience or for long-term migration.
There's no luxury or easy path to get a job in foreign-land unless you work for a company who can send you to overseas especially in IT and Banking industry, sometimes tourism.

This is what I learn when I was in Australia, meeting up with my Asian Aussie friend's parents who are basically f.o.b in the 60's. But settled and become Australian and denounce their birth country citizenship.
Took all what they have and move to Australia, try to get a job as fast as you can to get the legal document and work your arse off and forget all the luxury and priviledge you have back home.

At the end of the day, if everything all right with no problem.
Life become content and you live the dream you want.
Like the Aunty and Uncle I met in Australia, of course there's a few regret this and that but everyone always regret in everything mistake they did.

So let's say if I can turn back time or will I do it again if everything settled in Sabah.
For sure I'll do it again from point A. Since I already know the consequences and the struggle for a few months or years at the end of the day you'll get it somehow.
And also I love the lifestyle and super conveniences in Japan.

Most of my friend in Sabah says I'm crazy but at least I showed them everything is possible if there's no opportunity in your own motherland, if you know what I mean.

But if you're married, I encourage don't do that.
If you're single and have nothing to lose (throw aside the ego and pride).. If you want to experience hows life outside, maybe refresh your life with new friends and environment. Go for it.

A little bit of out of topic but just a tiny wee-bit encouragement for those who ever think of getting out of the comfort zone.

This post has been edited by Flanegan: Apr 12 2016, 08:15 PM
charsiewking
post Apr 12 2016, 03:32 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(Flanegan @ Apr 12 2016, 01:04 PM)
Yup, you have the freedom to voice out... Public or Online.
Yeah, when you got the freedom sometimes you need to fight with those extreme right wing people too.
Sometimes freedom will exploit your personal life if you goes all the way.
But in Japan I heard all parties get freedom to campaign unlike here? So what do people usually do on saturday and sunday? is it 5 working days a week?
TSFlanegan
post Apr 12 2016, 04:35 PM

Getting Started
146 posts

QUOTE(charsiewking @ Apr 12 2016, 06:32 PM)
But in Japan I heard all parties get freedom to campaign unlike here?  So what do people usually do on saturday and sunday?  is it 5 working days a week?
Yes, every 丁目cho-me (area) within every district (市) in Wards/Town (区/府) have a special board where the politician can post their campaign propaganda.
Something like this :
Attached Image

5 working days a week most of the time, but my case in creative production weekend kadang2 ada but will replace the break date on weekdays.

Saturday and Sunday is like any normal weekend in Japan.
Going to cafes, wandering around the cities, going to see their favourite artist/musician open live space,otaku goes to akihabara milk em out, lepak2 at their favourite park, visit any awesome modern township, admire their favourite train passing-by, dating, going to music store and listening good tune, heading to bookstore looking for inspiration, searching for the best ramen or udon or tsukemen, jogging around the riverside etc.

It's more fun in Tokyo because there's more choice and adventure you can do for me personally.

In KK, I tend to get stress out if I want to go out and meet friend or meeting to land a contract because I have to plan my time, stuck in jam, spend another 10mins-30mins looking for parking, have to pay parking, have to focus driving.. Once reaching the destination almost lost my energy already. haha (reserve culture shock problem)

In Tokyo, it's more like commuter/walking society. Everywhere is walkable, once in a while you'll get 'human traffic jam' then I'll opt for taking public bus or taxi if the destination is only 12-15mins.
godzlarz
post Apr 15 2016, 05:27 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Can you share a little bit on house rentals? I heard that it costs an arm and a leg.. lol..
It's quite difficult isn't it as in financially when relocating to Japan?
TSFlanegan
post Apr 15 2016, 08:17 PM

Getting Started
146 posts

QUOTE(godzlarz @ Apr 15 2016, 08:27 PM)
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Can you share a little bit on house rentals? I heard that it costs an arm and a leg.. lol..
It's quite difficult isn't it as in financially when relocating to Japan?
Rental will be around 40k-80k yen a month depends on location, distance to train station and also the age of the building. Oh ya, plus the size.
Elite or Prime area will be around 70k-200k yen a month.

Average of normal rental will be cost around 60k yen a month.. If you're lucky enough, 40k yen a month is like jackpot for everyone here.
I manage to get 45k yen a month, 12 mins walk to Station or 5 mins bicycle ride to Station. Neighbourhood located at the riverside between East Tokyo and West Chiba.
Perfect spot for me to have evening breeze walk once in a while...

Depends on your personal financial. Start struggling in the beginning and enjoy the progress like any other Japanese who comes from different prefecture. (Trust me, they are broke as f*ck than any foreigner who move to Japan)
Or save as many saving as you can, start plurge in the beginning and slowly control your budget financially.

I booked a share house room a month in-advanced once I decide to move to Tokyo. Sign a non-duration contract deal and pay 15k yen deposit only and 1 month rental of 50k yen a month which is include electric, water, gas and internet bills. Opposite the Share House is Aeon Supermarket, basically every evening I'll drop by there to buy fresh food and vege and cook decent meal (cost around 300-400yen) for myself every night. Metro Station just 8 mins walk, convenient as f*ck and felt like heaven for the first time.

But I have that dream/ideal place, where I always watch Japanese movie (where those lonely single guy/lady own a cool small studio house or apartment a little bit further down from the station.)
Everyweek for 2 months, I'll visit a real estate agent and tell them I'm looking for my ideal studio house/apartment and hopefully they can find 1 for me with the budget I mentioned.

On 2nd month, Those famous or well-known real estate agent cannot find the criteria I want and I took another alternative way which is go to district local estate agent (those only accept japanese customers). Give it a try with my almost perfect Japanese conversation and ask them I'm looking for a studio house/apartment, in resident housing area and 15-20mins away from any public train.
They have a few on their list, list down to 5 apartment to see. Drove me around the area and have a look at the house or apartment.

Found the one I like, which is a House Studio (attach beside another apartment but separately), 45k yen a month, 12mins walk or 5 mins cycle to Metro Station or another 20mins walk or 9 mins cycle to different Train company station, 2 blocks away from Edo River and there's a jogging track where you can jog the other opposite way to Arakawa River. Decide to go for that Studio House.

At first the landlord reject my application because they a little bit hesitate when it comes to foreigner. And then I was lucky, very lucky to meet up the landlord at the office where she pick-up some document from the estate agency. The guy who help me apply the application point at me and say I'm the guy who applied her Studio House to rent and her first impression thought I'm Japanese instead of Foreigner (look and physically). Had a small chit-chat with the landlord and the landlord decide to cancel the reject application and let me rent her Studio House to me. smile.gif

I had my first own rent studio house in Japan and cheap one 45k yen a month.
The first month I need to pay is :
First month rental : 45k yen
Deposit (You'll get back 50%-75% once you move out): 30k yen
New Key Installation : 8k yen
Real Estate fees : 15k yen.
No Key Money Fees and Landlord Fees, luck again on my side.

Total is : 98000k yen to get the dream house I want. (back in 2012, around RM3.6k)

Basic Monthly bills on my side for own place is :
4500yen for Fiber Optics Internet (Yahoo! Hikari)
500 yen - 2000 yen for Electricity.

Every 2 months :
1200yen for Gas
800yen for Water

Total Rent include bills is : 51500yen a month. Equivalent to RM515 or conversion RM1800+

Separate non-house bills is my Softbank + Iphone Bills which cost 6k yen a month. (Unlimited LTE + Calls, most Japanese use phone mail to contact with each other. Rarely SMS)

--

And again, do not convert the yen to Ringgit because you earn your salary in Yen.
The right way to see the living expenses is by seeing the equivalent.

RM1 = 100yen.

While in Malaysia you cannot buy lots of stuff for RM1.
But 100yen you can get Onigiri or Bun in a local bakery shop.

I challenge myself to Survive with only 500yen a day for a month (Breakfast & Lunch).
Surprisingly, I can get lots of stuff for 500yen in a day in Tokyo.
Like 90yen of Melon Bun with 100yen Lemon CC for Breakfast. 300yen Bento for Lunch.

But in Kota Kinabalu RM5, small packet of M&M already cost RM3 or 1 Chicken Pao already cost RM4 for breakfast.
godzlarz
post Apr 15 2016, 09:59 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

Very interesting read! It looks like you did get a pretty good deal for the rental! biggrin.gif

Getting hired in Japan is also another problem right?
From what I heard, you need at least a Degree or with professional working experience of 10 years..
I'm not really sure about this..

Thanks again on your long detailed explanation, very informative! rclxms.gif
TSFlanegan
post Apr 15 2016, 10:19 PM

Getting Started
146 posts

QUOTE(godzlarz @ Apr 16 2016, 12:59 AM)
Very interesting read! It looks like you did get a pretty good deal for the rental!  biggrin.gif

Getting hired in Japan is also another problem right?
From what I heard, you need at least a Degree or with professional working experience of 10 years..
I'm not really sure about this..

Thanks again on your long detailed explanation, very informative!  rclxms.gif
At least a Degree, according to Immigration Work Force Law.
Mine is very straight, a Degree Holder and a company willing to provide mandatory document to apply visa. I do all the paper work myself without using Immigration Lawyer, easier but am try to avoid to safe some cash for other stuff.

But I knew a few who don't have Degree or Education Cert but still manage to work legally in Japan.
There's a blackhole within the system for sure, I don't know how they get but maybe working experience or legal help from Lawyer.
2fashioneyewear
post Apr 16 2016, 05:47 PM

17 posts

I hope i can join!!!
sacwoc
post Apr 18 2016, 11:37 AM

Casual
306 posts

Interesting Thread here. Been working in Tokyo for a few years and basically there are a lot of Malaysian here as well. Most can actually speak good Japanese as they graduated from a Japanese universities. I have a few non Malaysian friends who cannot speak Japanese working here as well. But they were send here initially from their home countries.

Comparing to Malaysia, pay here is good, but the taxes are really high. You need to pay two taxes - municipal and government. Besides that you need to pay to the pension scheme that you most probably wont get back unless you work 25years. Most you can get back is two months worth of salary. On the plus side, since you pay taxes you are treated like a normal Japanese. If you plan to give birth in Japan you get lots of benefits compare to Malaysia.

As for housing, be prepare to live in a small house. If you are single I guess its fine, but with family, you need to get use to it. As mention by @flanegan, you need to pay deposit and Key money as well. However now quite a number of places do not need to pay these. During my negotiation, I negotiated a longer period than the normal 3 years, to get the rent down and no key money. My agent is very good and can speak perfect English. He help me with all the negotiation with the landlord. For two months, every weekend, he drove me around Tokyo to look at apartments/houses until I make a decision. It was really interesting as you get to see lots of Japanese houses design.

Finally you need to be prepare for earthquake. It happens often in Tokyo that it just dont get reported as its not big - average magnitude of 3. But its still unnerving when you feel the building shake.

This post has been edited by sacwoc: Apr 18 2016, 11:44 AM
james 2
post Apr 18 2016, 12:11 PM

Getting Started
57 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Apr 18 2016, 11:37 AM)
Interesting Thread here. Been working in Tokyo for a few years and basically there are a lot of Malaysian here as well. Most can actually speak good Japanese as they graduated from a Japanese universities. I have a few non Malaysian friends who cannot speak Japanese working here as well. But they were send here initially from their home countries.

Comparing to Malaysia, pay here is good, but the taxes are really high. You need to pay two taxes - municipal and government. Besides that you need to pay to the pension scheme that you most probably wont get back unless you work 25years. Most you can get back is two months worth of salary. On the plus side, since you pay taxes you are treated like a normal Japanese. If you plan to give birth in Japan you get lots of benefits compare to Malaysia.

As for housing, be prepare to live in a small house. If you are single I guess its fine, but with family, you need to get use to it. As mention by @flanegan, you need to pay deposit and Key money as well. However now quite a number of places do not need to pay these. During my negotiation, I negotiated a longer period than the normal 3 years, to get the rent down and no key money. My agent is very good and can speak perfect English. He help me with all the negotiation with the landlord. For two months, every weekend, he drove me around Tokyo to look at apartments/houses until I make a decision. It was really interesting as you get to see lots of Japanese houses design.

Finally you need to be prepare for earthquake. It happens often in Tokyo that it just dont get reported as its not big - average magnitude of 3. But its still unnerving when you feel the building shake.
sound nice any good recommended vacancy
sacwoc
post Apr 18 2016, 01:07 PM

Casual
306 posts

QUOTE(james 2 @ Apr 18 2016, 01:11 PM)
sound nice any good recommended vacancy
You can try Rakuten. I know they hired a lot of non Japanese speaking people in their IT department. Google Rakuten jobs and should lead you to their homepage.

20 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0397sec    0.26    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:46 PM