Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

am i misunderstanding? or this is truely robbery?

views

- JaY -
post Nov 22 2016, 11:58 PM

t(^.^t)
1,023 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ Nov 22 2016, 05:13 PM)
what about mobile data option,

there are two options, one is mobile data option, another one is data roaming option (under mobile data option).

if just turn off data roaming option, enough to avoid the cost?
Data Roaming - turned off
No Calls (Receive or Call Out)

Safe to go. smile.gif
westlife
post Nov 23 2016, 12:41 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,295 posts

QUOTE(- JaY - @ Nov 22 2016, 11:58 PM)
Data Roaming - turned off
No Calls (Receive or Call Out)

Safe to go.  smile.gif
thanks for the confirmation. biggrin.gif

will be porting over to Maxis One soon.
QQQ133
post Dec 29 2016, 10:18 PM

24 posts

I was charged RM38/day for 4 consecutive days last week while I was in Singapore & somehow my phone's setting got the data roaming on, but, I didn't use my phone when I'm out & without wifi, so, I guess the only data traffic was the incoming push text messages from WhatsApp, which can't be much volume.

I called Maxis helpdesk & they told me as long as you use more than 512 Bytes of data, they will charge you RM38/day, claiming that this is for your protection as you could clock up a lot more expenses if you hit high volume of data. Daylight robbery RM38 for 513 bytes of data!!!
QQQ133
post Dec 29 2016, 10:20 PM

24 posts

To make matter more infuriating, I discovered that my wife's Hotlink has data roaming in Singapore for RM10/day! Clearly, Maxis is milking post-paid customers. Time to switch to pre-paid?
cucubud
post Dec 30 2016, 07:48 AM

Super Moderator
3,067 posts

QUOTE(QQQ133 @ Dec 29 2016, 10:18 PM)
I was charged RM38/day for 4 consecutive days last week while I was in Singapore & somehow my phone's setting got the data roaming on, but, I didn't use my phone when I'm out & without wifi, so, I guess the only data traffic was the incoming push text messages from WhatsApp, which can't be much volume.

I called Maxis helpdesk & they told me as long as you use more than 512 Bytes of data, they will charge you RM38/day, claiming that this is for your protection as you could clock up a lot more expenses if you hit high volume of data. Daylight robbery RM38 for 513 bytes of data!!!
Lucky thing you were out of the country for 4 days.
If out of the country for 2 weeks or 1 month, you will explode. vmad.gif ranting.gif
HippyTony
post Dec 30 2016, 02:00 PM

Enthusiast
960 posts

Do not mean to rub salt in your wound. Our mobile data roaming is expensive when in SG. Singtel offers to their subscribers SG $10/mth/1GB data roaming in MY.
QQQ133
post Dec 30 2016, 05:30 PM

24 posts

QUOTE(HippyTony @ Dec 30 2016, 02:00 PM)
Do not mean to rub salt in your wound. Our mobile data roaming is expensive when in SG. Singtel offers to their subscribers SG $10/mth/1GB data roaming in MY.
On detailed check of my bill, I noticed Maxis charged me RM38 for 4 days PLUS an additional line under Roaming Calls & Data Charges for Singapore - Data Charges that show: [Operator: SingTel; Type: Internet; Qty: 25,400KB; Total (RM): 15.21]. Definitely looks very suspicious that they double-bill me.

Maxis call centre initially explained that the additional RM15.21 charge for data roaming was due to my usage exceeding the 500MB daily limit. I challenged them that as my data roaming was accidentally turned on & I have not been using data without wifi, I can't have used above 500MB in a day.

After checking, Maxis called back to explain that the way to interpret this Data Charge line item is: I used a total of 25.4MB of data via SingTel across the billing cycle, but, 4 of those days, my usage for the day exceeded 512KB (the threshold to trigger RM38 daily charge). The charge of RM15.21 is for the other day(s)' data usage that I did not hit the threshold of 512KB.

I can't refute their argument. But, the fact that they twist & turn to get a 'logical' explanation is sufficient to give one the impression of overbilling & as post-paid customers, the sky is the limit for such practices mad.gif
QQQ133
post Dec 30 2016, 05:31 PM

24 posts

QUOTE(QQQ133 @ Dec 30 2016, 05:30 PM)
On detailed check of my bill, I noticed Maxis charged me RM38 for 4 days PLUS an additional line under Roaming Calls & Data Charges for Singapore - Data Charges that show: [Operator: SingTel; Type: Internet; Qty: 25,400KB; Total (RM): 15.21]. Definitely looks very suspicious that they double-bill me.

Maxis call centre initially explained that the additional RM15.21 charge for data roaming was due to my usage exceeding the 500MB daily limit. I challenged them that as my data roaming was accidentally turned on & I have not been using data without wifi, I can't have used above 500MB in a day.

After checking, Maxis called back to explain that the way to interpret this Data Charge line item is: I used a total of 25.4MB of data via SingTel across the billing cycle, but, 4 of those days, my usage for the day exceeded 512KB (the threshold to trigger RM38 daily charge). The charge of RM15.21 is for the other day(s)' data usage that I did not hit the threshold of 512KB.

I can't refute their argument. But, the fact that they twist & turn to get a 'logical' explanation is sufficient to give one the impression of overbilling & as post-paid customers, the sky is the limit for such practices mad.gif
westlife
post Jan 2 2017, 02:17 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,295 posts

QUOTE(QQQ133 @ Dec 29 2016, 10:18 PM)

If u turn on data roaming obviously there will be traffic in and out from ur phone even u dun surf or dun do anything. technically, u indeed are liable for the charges.
QQQ133
post Jan 2 2017, 02:53 PM

24 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ Jan 2 2017, 02:17 PM)
If u turn on data roaming obviously there will be traffic in and out from ur phone even u dun surf or dun do anything. technically, u indeed are liable for the charges.
I am not refuting that I am liable for some data roaming charges, it is the over-charging that I am refuting. In Malaysia, I use about 200MB PER MONTH of Data, with Waze navigations, WhatsApp & ocassional net browsing. In Sgp, I did nothing except that the data roaming was somehow turned on for 5 days. So, go figure out.

4 Pages « < 2 3 4Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0222sec    0.74    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:38 PM