11 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

TIME [OFFICIAL] TIME Fibre Broadband™ v3.o, 500 Mbps of rocket science

views

SilentVampire
post Jul 29 2017, 11:13 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(chiucheng @ Jul 29 2017, 11:04 PM)
The whole unit is 2600 sqft one storey, planning to get only 100mbps as not heavy user but appreicate some extra speed while watching youtube videos and stuff

Is the router provided sufficient for the whole area of my house? Because according to the installer, the spot which is best if i were to install a wifi extender doesnt have a power plug, so if it is neccessary i will need to add one power plus to that location (its doable since its under renovation now), but im looking around for options coz he said the speed will cut to half which scares me a bit
What router are they providing for you? The router might be powerful enough to reach your entire house. If not, I would suggest either getting a better router or as jjj2 have mentioned, you can utilize a powerline connection, by installing an additional power plug.

If powerline doesn't work, you can try the extender, only as a last resort. The speed cut into half really depends on the layout of your house. If you have large walls or electrical appliances around the extender, then, yes, the speed will be affected. Otherwise, it won't really be a problem.

This post has been edited by SilentVampire: Jul 29 2017, 11:14 PM
SilentVampire
post Sep 4 2017, 03:20 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(ahmy @ Sep 4 2017, 11:36 AM)
Hi everyone, i'm using 100mbps TimeBroadband package. Anyone have tips on how to solve the problem which is lagging when playing online game(dota/csgo) because of someone in the house is downloading? Can we limit his speed of download so that people who playing online games wont affected.
Get a new router that have QoS settings and you can limit his speed when downloading. Keep in mind there won't be a real cheap option if you decide to get a new router as there are limited routers with good QoS settings, unless you can flash the firmware.
SilentVampire
post Sep 19 2017, 11:16 AM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(Lord_Ashe @ Sep 19 2017, 10:00 AM)
Hi there, yes, I am one of those people who upgraded and now very unhappy already. Am thinking to buy a new router anyway tonight.

bro @yeapch1 how are you? I'm very happy with my TIME subscription, now only a bit upset the router issue lah. I'm looking for ASUS routers, any good AC ones recommended compatible with TIME?
Any Asus AC routers will be compatible with TIME.

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Sep 19 2017, 10:01 AM)
But the firmware is not released yet though, no?
And i checked, the firmware update is country-specific.
https://www.lowyat.net/2017/142185/update-f...r850l-malaysia/
Not yet. It will be released on September 21, for the specific firmware for Malaysia.

QUOTE(jetwash @ Sep 19 2017, 10:06 AM)
Might take a while.

Should I be worried though? I don't do anything 'sensitive' on my home network, well, except for occasional banking.
Well, you should be, to be honest. There are a lot of malicious things that could be done, with a compromised router, but don't worry too much about it. Just update to the secure firmware when it it released on Thursday.

QUOTE(jetwash @ Sep 19 2017, 10:25 AM)
Well, remote management is disabled by default. And I've disabled SharePort too. Anything else I should be doing for the time being?
Nah, just wait for the updated firmware to be released.

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Sep 19 2017, 11:01 AM)
Can you share the steps to those things?
See here: http://www.dlink.com.my/securityadvisory-msia/
SilentVampire
post Sep 19 2017, 11:17 AM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Sep 19 2017, 11:15 AM)
Factory reset won't affect the time setting?
It will and you will have to set everything up again if you do the factory reset.
SilentVampire
post Sep 19 2017, 11:32 AM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Sep 19 2017, 11:30 AM)
that's the thing, cause I wouldn't know how to set them all up again.
Just don't do it. You don't have to do it as jetwash said. Just disable remote management and disable SharePort and change your default username and password.
SilentVampire
post Sep 19 2017, 02:35 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(jetwash @ Sep 19 2017, 02:12 PM)
But how malicious can these vulnerabilities get? I'm fairly indifferent right now but perhaps am I underestimating how bad would it get?

Having said that I'm pretty sure those outside of tech circles (say, 90% of subscribers?) won't even know this is happening  biggrin.gif
Someone could get entire access to your router. After that, they can do whatever they want on your network. Keep in mind that your router is like the gate and door to your house, both in one package. Someone that have access to both can do anything they want to your house and you.

Well, that's the reason why I always see Dlink routers on port sniffing websites and their security is pathetic, especially the majority of compromised DLink routers are from Malaysia. As Lord_Ashe said, they thrive on people's indifference.
SilentVampire
post Sep 25 2017, 11:10 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(RobMC @ Sep 25 2017, 10:11 PM)
2.4GHz, Chn 11, 20MHz

user posted image
Bro, as explained in earlier posts, it might be a channel congestion issue. Try 5GHz, 40MHz, and whatever channel that is available in the 5GHz band. The speed will be better hopefully.
SilentVampire
post Sep 25 2017, 11:19 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(RobMC @ Sep 25 2017, 11:17 PM)
Will try with my phone later. All my desktops/laptops are without 11ac.
Ah, sorry to hear that. Might be worth investing in external wifi AC adapters which is quite affordable these days to enjoy the full speed of your connection.
SilentVampire
post Sep 28 2017, 10:51 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(hotohori_sin @ Sep 28 2017, 10:43 PM)
Thanks for the information.
Should look for a better router with high speed and stable connection.
The only issue I am facing now is just the sudden lost of internet speed...
cry.gif  cry.gif  cry.gif
Yes, I suggest you look for a better router, preferably from Asus or TP-Link, if you want to enjoy a better connection as ralyon has explained in his posts.
SilentVampire
post Sep 29 2017, 12:54 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(Dany1403 @ Sep 29 2017, 12:00 PM)
Yay the time technician is installing at my home!!!! Should take mc today can't wait to test it after work. So guys is TP-Link Archer C1200 good as they give me? If not I'm planning to buy asus router.
TP Link Archer C1200 is a good router, but if you want better features and performance, of course Asus is better. You might not need it though, so just depends on your need.
SilentVampire
post Oct 6 2017, 02:11 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(mrdude @ Oct 6 2017, 02:08 PM)
Hi,

I just ordered Time broadband to be installed at my home.

Currently I am using Asus RT-N14UHP router.

Can I continue using this router with Time?
It should be compatible with Time but it does not have AC, which might be important if you want to get the full speed.
SilentVampire
post Oct 6 2017, 02:21 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(mrdude @ Oct 6 2017, 02:16 PM)
nah, not interested in AC

my router has built-in bittorrent client, which is more important hehe
Fair enough. But you might not get the full speed with just N. If you're happy with only getting potentially 70% to 80% or even lower percentage of the speed than the full speed that you're paying for, it's your money lol.
SilentVampire
post Oct 6 2017, 02:40 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(mrdude @ Oct 6 2017, 02:27 PM)
Yes I understand already I might not get full speed.

A 300MBps N-router is fairly good enough to support a 100Mbps Time line. So there is excellent potential I will get full speed, and on top of that I still get to keep my bittorrent client  smile.gif
Okay bro whatever makes you happy icon_rolleyes.gif
SilentVampire
post Oct 6 2017, 03:22 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(mrdude @ Oct 6 2017, 03:08 PM)
thanks.

Would you care to explain how an N router that supports 300Mbps cannot fully support 100MBps Time line?
The 300Mbps is just a theoretical maximum, without including the factors of interference or congestion on the 2.4Ghz band. You might be lucky, and living in an area, where there is not many other wireless devices, but in this modern time, it's highly unlikely. Anyway, once it's installed, try connecting as normal first. If you can't hit the full speed, try changing channels. If that still doesn't work, then you would need to change to the 5GHz band, which is AC.
SilentVampire
post Oct 6 2017, 03:32 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(mrdude @ Oct 6 2017, 03:28 PM)
Thanks. Congestion, interference etc - same factors that may also affect an AC router. There's no guarantee an AC will give 100% too  smile.gif
That's true, but very unlikely that it will have the same congestion and interference levels as 2.4GHz. Anyway, hope you get and enjoy the full speed of 100Mbps biggrin.gif
SilentVampire
post Oct 6 2017, 03:54 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(mrdude @ Oct 6 2017, 03:45 PM)
Thanks again. It seems TIME is giving out TPLINK router.

Just to tell my own experience - I had an AC TPLINK router before - sure it had AC, had dual-band with 5GHz, but it was very unstable.

I got rid of the router and bought this current Asus N router. The Asus is much more stable, and offers more consistent speed.

So anyway, an AC router is not necessarily better. Yes, theoretically the specs is better - but we dont really know the quality of the product till we try it.
I agree with you. You won't know until you try it. Anyway, Time is giving the TP Link Archer C1200, which is an okay router, and sufficient for AC, plus it's quite stable too. You can keep using your Asus router, or use the new router. It's up to you, to see which you would prefer at the end of day. Enjoy the new speed rclxm9.gif
SilentVampire
post Oct 12 2017, 02:14 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(Defyno @ Oct 12 2017, 01:43 PM)
Hello, yeapch01 after reading this thread for a while you seem to be the guy I should contact regarding switching from Unifi to TIME, I currently have 1 year of contract left with unifi and paying the 500rm termination fee is a little too hefty for a student. I heard you helped people around with it, would be great if you could help me too. Also I'm moving to a new condo which has TIME coverage (Mesahill Nilai), Moving there by this weekend and I asked my rental agent and he said it would take around 1-2 weeks.. 1-2 weeks without Internet I will die mah, looking forward to hearing from you! (Can't wait for the 100mbps juicy speed, was paying 210rm for 50mbps unifi, Haizzz)  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif
PM him directly bro. You wouldn't want anyone to know your personal details lol.
SilentVampire
post Oct 12 2017, 11:37 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(happygarden1980 @ Oct 12 2017, 11:36 PM)
Budget <1k. Home use , 1800 sft. Devices is 3 laptops and 2 phones. Any better recommendation than c9?
TP Link AC3150 v2, as it is newer, and have better firmware, plus it's below your budget, and have great coverage.
SilentVampire
post Nov 24 2017, 07:57 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(HerbalTea @ Nov 24 2017, 05:50 PM)
Anyone suffering like me. At certain time my download speed can reach my subscribed speed which is 100mbps. At some time my speed drops down to 20-30mbps. The technician already came and changed the fiber cable. At the time of his test, speed was great and stable.

Now it's back to where it is. Half the speed
Is that with wifi or Ethernet or both? If it’s only wifi, it might be interference and congestion isssue.
SilentVampire
post Nov 25 2017, 03:53 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(HerbalTea @ Nov 24 2017, 10:15 PM)
It's both.
Should be router or modem problem.

11 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1317sec    0.33    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:36 PM