Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Anyone dehumidify their guitars?, Guitar Maintenance

views

ciwi1166
post Aug 10 2016, 09:47 AM

~~~Prestissimo~~~
2,254 posts

QUOTE(lockheed90 @ Aug 10 2016, 08:45 AM)
If u put silica gel beads inside the bag with the guitar will it make the guitar too dry?is too dry gonna damage the guitar?
i think dry is good. best is cold and dry.

what is not good is heat, like leaving ur guitar in car under hot sun. of coz it's dry but the heat gonna destroy ur guitar.

just my 2 cents. smile.gif
+3kk!
post Aug 10 2016, 11:40 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,275 posts

QUOTE(lockheed90 @ Aug 10 2016, 08:45 AM)
If u put silica gel beads inside the bag with the guitar will it make the guitar too dry?is too dry gonna damage the guitar?
here? no

overseas? maybe

one thing to take into account is that you need not just silica gel but a hygrometer , which you need to monitor that the guitar stays around 40-50% ish humidity

the good part about it is, due to our relatively stable weather, half the time you dont have to worry about it and majority of the time the worse case scenario is you get a bloated top.

QUOTE(ciwi1166 @ Aug 10 2016, 09:47 AM)
i think dry is good. best is cold and dry.

what is not good is heat, like leaving ur guitar in car under hot sun. of coz it's dry but the heat gonna destroy ur guitar.

just my 2 cents. smile.gif
dry is actually worse,

in general comfortable surroundings is the best, as long as you are comfy, the guitar will be fine

once the heat goes up and you feel too hot or too try that you feel like you are getting sore throat, then its bad
lockheed90
post Aug 10 2016, 12:19 PM

Getting Started
271 posts

QUOTE(+3kk! @ Aug 10 2016, 11:40 AM)
here? no

overseas? maybe

one thing to take into account is that you need not just silica gel but a hygrometer , which you need to monitor that the guitar stays around 40-50% ish humidity

the good part about it is, due to our relatively stable weather, half the time you dont have to worry about it and majority of the time the worse case scenario is you get a bloated top.
dry is actually worse,

in general comfortable surroundings is the best, as long as you are comfy, the guitar will be fine

once the heat goes up and you feel too hot or too try that you feel like you are getting sore throat, then its bad
So by just leave it in my bedroom is ok enough?since our climate is quite humid as long as its not under the sun
+3kk!
post Aug 10 2016, 12:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,275 posts

QUOTE(lockheed90 @ Aug 10 2016, 12:19 PM)
So by just leave it in my bedroom is ok enough?since our climate is quite humid as long as its not under the sun
its not as simple as that

basically the first question is, is it a laminate or not?

if its laminate, then you can not worry about it, they are quite resilient

if its not, then you need to read the manual, what are the right conditions for the guitar

for most cases its no a problem (I've never seen guitars go bad due to weather here), but theres no harm just double checking
Everdying
post Aug 10 2016, 01:00 PM

Two is One and One is None.
Group Icon
Staff
30,688 posts

taylors and ibanez have gone bad due to weather here whistling.gif

i never bother to do anything with my gibsons, just leave it in their cases for yrs and they're still fine.

most US guitar makers keep around 45-50% humidity in their factories anyway...something thats not hard to achieve here.
the real danger is in getting too dry cos then it'll start to crack, thats why they invented humidifiers.

my cheap cort with solid top and back i just leave on my guitar stand, no warp whatever still in tune etc.
guess local weather doesnt affect it cos china weather also probably quite similar...i doubt they maintain any form of humidity control there tongue.gif
lockheed90
post Aug 14 2016, 07:14 AM

Getting Started
271 posts

QUOTE(+3kk! @ Aug 10 2016, 12:23 PM)
its not as simple as that

basically the first question is, is it a laminate or not?

if its laminate, then you can not worry about it, they are quite resilient

if its not, then you need to read the manual, what are the right conditions for the guitar

for most cases its no a problem (I've never seen guitars go bad due to weather here), but theres no harm just double checking
Ive been reading on the internet about humidifying their guitars. Since maybe they live in a cold and dry country and we here living in a humid country here dont need to humidify is it? As long as need to monitor the humidity level and dehumidify it if needed

P.s my guitar body is satin finished btw
+3kk!
post Aug 14 2016, 10:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,275 posts

QUOTE(lockheed90 @ Aug 14 2016, 07:14 AM)
Ive been reading on the internet about humidifying their guitars. Since maybe they live in a cold and dry country and we here living in a humid country here dont need to humidify is it? As long as need to monitor the humidity level and dehumidify it if needed

P.s my guitar body is satin finished btw
we need to dehumidify , not humidify, we have too much moisture in the air. on any given day 60% - 70% is very normal, and during rainy days this goes up.

also this depends if your guitar is in an aircon room, aircon rooms auto dehumidify when its on, so the effects are minimalized

finish has nothign to do with it, its what type of wood and construct
LYK2004
post Dec 11 2023, 11:48 PM

3 posts

Guys, tho this thread has been long dead, I want to ask should I leave windows and door opened for air circulation or am I better off seal up my room as much as possible and use dehumidifier machine? Or should I just go with case dehumidifying? But I would took out my guitar for practice frequently, would case dehumidifying works?

Both my electric's metal hardware corrode like no ones business.

This post has been edited by LYK2004: Dec 11 2023, 11:50 PM

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0158sec    0.16    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 12:01 AM