Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

RIP Chu Moy, Passed Away on the 12th February 2016

views

TSEnigmatic
post Mar 17 2016, 12:07 PM, updated 9y ago

Tralala?
3,291 posts

RIP, Pow Chu Moy - The owner of Headwize and the creator of the CMoy pocket amplifier.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/memor...zCXdbdjrZgcC.97
ezekiel_77
post Mar 17 2016, 12:42 PM

Five Star Fuzz McFuzz
848 posts

Good history lesson. Thanks mate.
echineko
post Mar 17 2016, 01:24 PM

Enthusiast
762 posts

Still can't believe there isn't even a single picture of him somewhere, even though I wasn't into audio at the time, you'd think someone would memorialise him properly.
VagueConcerns
post Mar 17 2016, 01:45 PM

Enthusiast
884 posts

Yup. All I could find were some donations made by him, and that he is opposed of gay marriages, and that he's in his 50's. Don't know if it's actually him, but all the Pow Chu Moys I found were from California and nowhere else.
echineko
post Mar 17 2016, 02:06 PM

Enthusiast
762 posts

QUOTE(VagueConcerns @ Mar 17 2016, 01:45 PM)
Yup. All I could find were some donations made by him, and that he is opposed of gay marriages, and that he's in his 50's. Don't know if it's actually him, but all the Pow Chu Moys I found were from California and nowhere else.
In support of. If you look at the proposition, it's against gay marriage, he opposed it tongue.gif At least, a person who provided the same name is, as you say, we don't really know if it was him in the first place.

Back to the point, sad that someone who played a significant role in starting the online form of this hobby now is another footnote in history. Never knew the CMoy amp was actually named after someone, just thought it was a brand all this while sweat.gif

This post has been edited by echineko: Mar 17 2016, 02:07 PM
VagueConcerns
post Mar 17 2016, 02:43 PM

Enthusiast
884 posts

QUOTE(echineko @ Mar 17 2016, 02:06 PM)
In support of. If you look at the proposition, it's against gay marriage, he opposed it tongue.gif At least, a person who provided the same name is, as you say, we don't really know if it was him in the first place.

Back to the point, sad that someone who played a significant role in starting the online form of this hobby now is another footnote in history. Never knew the CMoy amp was actually named after someone, just thought it was a brand all this while sweat.gif
Oh right, misread the title. laugh.gif
ClieOS
post Mar 17 2016, 09:16 PM

In-Ear Addict
1,097 posts

He practically kickstarted the online headphone community and I can still remember building my first cmoy a decade ago. Such sad news.
PedangGila
post Mar 18 2016, 12:28 PM

Enthusiast
918 posts

Knows nothing about him until you guys dug this out. All I've seen was a nice boxed amp, could be labelled as work of arts, at least for me. Good info and yes, a lost.
Quazacolt
post Mar 22 2016, 06:24 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

RIP

great person who laid the foundations of online headphone community before head-fi took over.
Leolabs
post Apr 1 2016, 10:09 AM

On my way
600 posts

One of my favour audio diy site during the early days.......RIP sir.....
Jssnow1
post Aug 21 2016, 12:11 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(echineko @ Mar 17 2016, 01:24 PM)
Still can't believe there isn't even a single picture of him somewhere, even though I wasn't into audio at the time, you'd think someone would memorialise him properly.
Hi, I was very sorry to hear of Chu's passing. I was a high school classmate of Chu's and was just trying to catch up with what he might be up to. Foe some background, Chu grew up in Chinatown, NYC and attended Poly Prep CDS in Brooklyn. He was a very serious and good student; extremely straight-laced with excellent principles. A very nice person. After high school, he went to Yale, and I lost track of him after that. I'll try to dig up an old photo and figure out how to post it. Best,
Jssnow1
post Aug 21 2016, 12:24 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(Jssnow1 @ Aug 21 2016, 12:11 PM)
Hi, I was very sorry to hear of Chu's passing. I was a high school classmate of Chu's and was just trying to catch up with what he might be up to. Foe some background, Chu grew up in Chinatown, NYC and attended Poly Prep CDS in Brooklyn. He was a very serious and good student; extremely straight-laced with excellent principles. A very nice person. After high school, he went to Yale, and I lost track of him after that. I'll try to dig up an old photo and figure out how to post it. Best,

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
echineko
post Aug 21 2016, 01:35 PM

Enthusiast
762 posts

Wow, that's unexpected. Thanks for the info, I'm sure it's new info to most of us here.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0156sec    0.35    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:11 AM