81 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Car Care & Detailing [V5], Caring for your car apprearance

views

woodentiger86
post May 21 2019, 11:38 AM

Budding DIY Detailer & Avid Gamer
2,414 posts

Has anyone tried out the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax? Quite keen. So far out of stock so waiting for restocks to come in. smile.gif
woodentiger86
post May 27 2019, 12:14 PM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(Lanchio @ May 21 2019, 12:27 PM)
Recommended to apply two layers. For me, the first base layer just did not give enough gloss. (Car already has two thin layers of Permanon DIY coating 3 months ago. Too lazy to clay before applying this Hybrid ceramic wax).

I used damp polishing sponge to apply the first base layer on wet surface (just like traditional way of applying liquid wax/sealant), then use damp microfiber cloth to spread some more/wipe off immediately (very minimal curing time as does not want water spot forming). Streaking due to too much applied. Top tip, less is more. Took 2+ hours to finish.

Second layer applied after 24 hours "cure time". Initially sprayed water to spread the first layer & can see the beading slowly forming after water spray (just like what we see on YouTube). Then took wet microfiber cloth, spray once & spread over one panel. Immediately use water spray to spread this layer. Dry off immediately. Took 1+ hours to finish.

It is now that the gloss level is deemed somewhat acceptable to me. But water beading was phenomenal as got caught in the rain later the next day.

Is it worth that RM80? Hell YES. Am a lazy bugger who now spend more time with family than on the car. Also damn cerewek and prefer to DIY as most polishing places out there hire Banglas who aren't as cerewek as myself. Will probably do another layer maybe in 3 months time as my car is mostly parked in covered car park (office & home). Still deciding if this maintenance layer to be "spray & rinse" or do like my second layer (which uses less & ensure proper spreading of the sealant). (Sorry, no photos available. Can't be arse to take photos as it can't capture what you actually see).
Awesome. Thanks for the detailed review bro! Can't wait to get my hands on one...
woodentiger86
post Jun 25 2019, 10:38 AM

2,414 posts

Nice! Thanks for the links.

So much cheaper than getting from Ace Hardware/Autobacs...
woodentiger86
post Jun 25 2019, 03:11 PM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Jun 25 2019, 10:48 AM)
Just curious, are you referring to ONR? I was not aware that Ace hardware sells ONR? Hmm..
Sorry not ONR - I meant the other brands outside of Meguiar's/Turtlewax that aren't easily found off the shelves.

Even Soft99 items, I used to visit Autobacs at 1U [already closed] or Klang to satiate my fix for detailing items.

More options on Shopee/Lazada too... Been seeing products like Poorboy etc which I've never heard of before but just a simple Google search and it shows the products are quite decent.

Now... if only there's ready stock for Meg's Hybrid Ceramic Wax! biggrin.gif

woodentiger86
post Jun 25 2019, 04:00 PM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Jun 25 2019, 03:19 PM)
While it is true that many detailing products are sold cheaper via shopping website, just beware of some that could potentially be clone products. So far as I know, there are plenty cases of 3M claybar clones, and if not mistaken some cases of Soft99 Fusso coat clones as well.
True. I do agree. So far I'd just bought ONR Wash & Wax and Opti-Seal from Detailien [their shop page seems to be down this morning] after many years of not using ONR and it still feels like a decent way to wash my rides even with the lack of 'sudsing' action; coupled with the sweet scent it emits. First time using ONR Wash & Wax [green] as I used to be a big fan of the Wash & Shine.

I see. So far claybar I've stuck to using the PG ones since they're slightly more affordable compared to Meg's or even the Turtle Ice Liquid Clay series...

Fusso Coat I've tried once [without proper car prep back then] and the beading results were actually pretty amazing.
woodentiger86
post Jun 25 2019, 04:05 PM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Jun 25 2019, 03:40 PM)
I see. If you want variety there are Carpro, Sonax and Chemical guys resellers / distributor here in Malaysia, but I almost never consider their products as they are out of my budget. Most chemicals I use are from Osren (best bang for buck) and Meguiars.
Wow, thanks for sharing the other options. Yeah, from time to time I'll visit Autogeek forums just to gawk at their detailing work and products, and quite a number of them aren't sold here too. Been reading about Dodo Juice in UK mags a long time ago - seems like they're disappeared altogether?

Osren yes - I did reach out to one of their reps on FB Messenger a few months ago to chat about detailing packages [was eyeing their rotary] but didn't follow through. Chickened out at the thought of spending on rotary although I do enjoy doing simple DIY detailing at home.

Of course, knowing that detailing by hand won't give me epic results as with a rotary... *dilemma*

And yup, so far been sticking to regular brands such as Meguiar's, TurtleWax for my car washing fix. So far the most expensive item I've bought was an Autoglym sealant many years ago from Eneos 1U...

Btw, just to share - recently I bought a couple of products from Mr DIY - one was the water coating film [Getsun maybe] for RM9.50 and a windscreen spray/water repellant [RM 4.30 or so] and the results, frankly speaking, were so impressive considering the price I paid. smile.gif

This post has been edited by woodentiger86: Jun 25 2019, 04:07 PM
woodentiger86
post Jun 26 2019, 08:14 AM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(matrix88 @ Jun 25 2019, 08:16 PM)
Fusso Coat indeed has very good beading result, but it is quite difficult to apply (wiping off).
Ahh I see. Probably overlooked the wiping off part as it has been several years since I last used Fusso Coat.

Lately been trying Opti-Seal... Kinda like the idea that it doesn't need to be buffed and just spray, wipe with applicator pad and walk away. Then again, my ride is silver so I can't really see the product that much even if it leaves streak marks.
woodentiger86
post Jun 26 2019, 08:21 AM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Jun 25 2019, 07:36 PM)
Wow, you are quite adventurous in trying out the products from Mr DIY. Haha. I usually just stick with tried & true products Coz easier to find reviews and ask for advice, but that's just me smile.gif

Regarding the rotary, if budget is an issue, as someone  suggested to me, maybe you can try cheap vertical rotary polishers, which might give decent results if you know what you are doing. Then again I never really look into this before and I imagine more research is needed on pad and backing plate compatibility, etc. Just a suggestion smile.gif
Ahh, thanks for the suggestion. I did buy one B&D polishing machine from Ace Hardware many years ago but I guess that one lacked the cutting power since it only came with one speed... Been reading up about brands such as Makita/Rupees/Osren but again, budget worries tend to leave me opting for detailing by hand still.

Which brings me to another query - was checking out those made in China brands rotary, and sometimes I've seen attractive posters from MY DIY [not Mr DIY] - they did have a Father's Day promotion recently where I've seen polishers/rotary for sub-RM200-300... As always, the questions arising are - if too cheap - too good to be true?
woodentiger86
post Jun 26 2019, 10:36 AM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(ainnolj @ Jun 26 2019, 09:20 AM)
Regarding polishing machine, can suggest for me below machines, now im just using Meguairs DA power sytem tool (G3500). Just for weekend hobby,

Shinemate EX605 (DA) RM650
Dewalt DWP849X ® RM500
Very interested in the Dewalt too...

Checked some of the deals on Shopee. Looks pretty impressive.

Pricing may be a tad on the pricier side at >RM400 but might be worth the investment for budding detailers.
woodentiger86
post Jun 26 2019, 02:13 PM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Jun 26 2019, 12:02 PM)
Personally while I have not tried it myself, I think no harm in trying the vertical rotary polishers that come cheap from MYDIY. As long as they are using the standard thread for backing plates, then u get the option to change to smaller and/or better quality backing plates if the need arises. Another thing is ideally their starting speed should be low, 600rpm or lower, so that u dont risk paint burn right from the start.

Perhaps u can consider attending Osren's detailing workshop so that they can show u how to do machine polishing, then it will be a slightly easier learning curve when handling a machine on your own. Rotary is definitely a riskier option for the inexperienced, so best have pros guide u from the start.
Yea, you're right. Will look into the detailing classes to better learn the tips. I did went for one workshop a long time ago by KC & Seech and that was the first time I learnt to hold a Makita. Haha.

Yup, then again,I'm just trying out on my and family cars so the pain and learning curve will not be as painful compared to working on other people's pride and joy. brows.gif
woodentiger86
post Jun 26 2019, 05:09 PM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Jun 26 2019, 04:39 PM)
Sounds like you've been around for quite some time, haha. Saw those name from time to time back when I was digging around in earlier pages of this thread. smile.gif
Haha, just not active on LY forums back then. Was avidly visiting BMWCM/Contilovers and etc. I believe I found out about KC & Seech also thru those forums and subsequently their posts on detailing...

It was thru them that I first started to know about ONR. Haha.

Will KIV the Dewalt polisher... Seems tempting..

Waiting for payday. Haha. tongue.gif

But as shared earlier, might as well consider the Osren classes to enhance my knowledge. biggrin.gif
woodentiger86
post Jun 28 2019, 09:18 AM

2,414 posts

Did some digging in my storeroom last night and I found my old Skil Polisher set.

Likely will dust it and try out some mini-detailing again this weekend.

Looks similar to this [cannot recall the model number now though]:-
user posted image

woodentiger86
post Jun 28 2019, 11:01 AM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Jun 28 2019, 10:28 AM)
Nice! Please kindly share with us how it goes! Curious how polishing with rotary machine is like, Coz I am still not all that familiar with machine polishing. smile.gif
Haha won't be showroom quality yea... DIY type so won't be swirl free. biggrin.gif

Excited to give it a try when time permits too.

woodentiger86
post Jul 1 2019, 02:45 PM

2,414 posts

My machine skills is rusty indeed.

Finally found out the model of my Skil Polisher - Skil 9080. This is the only post I could find on Lazada/Shopee for this model:-
https://shopee.com.my/Car-Polisher-Skil-908...67552.372638292

Anyways, will practice a bit more and hopefully able to restore the paint.
woodentiger86
post Jul 1 2019, 03:10 PM

2,414 posts

Not sure if this is the right thread to share but since there's no 'showroom' or 'show off your work' kind of threads here, I'd like to share some pics of my DIY work last weekend:

1. Using Skil 9080 polisher - two speeds in use - MIN and I. Min cutting power is not as aggressive but I opted for it as I've not handled the machine in years.
user posted image

2. Myvi Gen 1 side mirrors paint fading. Pics 2 & 3 [with flash and without] - can roughly see the paintwork is quite dull and coarse to the touch.
user posted image
user posted image

3. After using Meguiar's Color X [a very old bottle] to use as 'polish' and finishing with wool pad with a bit of Turtlewax Carnauba Spray Wax - this was the end result:
user posted image

Slightly better reflection and paint looks more clearer now:-
user posted image
user posted image

Will revisit again - time to get a decent compound/polish... biggrin.gif

Thanks for reading. Welcome to get feedback from the detailing sifus...

woodentiger86
post Jul 1 2019, 03:12 PM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Jul 1 2019, 02:51 PM)
I have the same model! smile.gif

Pretty good, but mind you its kinda heavy as well. I got it from local hardware shop. Cant remember the price now...
Yes! It's on the hefty side indeed!

My right thumb was buzzing/aching a bit after using it... Unless I was not holding it correctly.

Aduh.
woodentiger86
post Jul 1 2019, 04:08 PM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Jul 1 2019, 03:44 PM)
I use the top "C" handle.
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...40&p=87304285&#

If Im not mistaken, each speed division is about 600rpm. Hence the low rpms 1-2, I only use it for buffing/wax.

For polishing I used higher step, depending on paint hardness and the amount of polishing need to be done.
Ah man. Thanks for the tip!

Was wondering how I can use the top holder...

I guess it's one of the screws in the box. I use the left sided thing and screwed it in...

Will try it again when time permits. smile.gif
woodentiger86
post Jul 2 2019, 09:59 AM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Jul 2 2019, 09:17 AM)
Nice! smile.gif 'Color X' must be really old product Coz I've never heard of it. Haha. Also just curious did you clean the surface (with something like IPA or even Carpro eraser) before applying spray wax?
Yea, bought it way back in 2014 or so... Don't see it sold anymore either. Haha.

Hmm, frankly speaking I didn't do any surface prep prior to using the machine. Hmm, I don't have those products mentioned. IPA wipe is alcohol-based wipe right? Usually see it in some Youtube comments whenever I watched detailing videos.

I only washed the car and straightaway used the polisher after wiping it dry.

I didn't clay the side mirrors that night...

Really careless and using shortcuts. blush.gif
woodentiger86
post Jul 2 2019, 10:03 AM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Jul 1 2019, 10:18 PM)
The work looks very good! Keep it up!

Yes, rotary can be rather heavy, and if u are not doing it every day, a sudden decision to use it will leave u aching at the end of the day. From my personal experience this is normal. My polishing work usually takes me 3-4 days, and end of first day is always the most tiring. One way to keep yourself from over-exerting is to take plenty rest in between, drink plenty of water, and if u have a bottle of 100Plus handy, that help to replenish your energy.

From technique standpoint it would be hard to know whether u were holding the machine right or not, but perhaps by attending a detailing course u can understand better the right ways of using the machine.
Ahh I see. Yea. My hands were a bit sore that night and the rotary was much heavier than I had anticipated. So far doing bit by bit on the missus' ride. Usually my routine is just to wash with ONR Wash and Shine, then apply some water repellent on the windscreen [like Rain X] and then a quick spray and wipe using either Meguiar's Fast Finish / Opti-Seal.
woodentiger86
post Jul 2 2019, 10:53 AM

2,414 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Jul 2 2019, 10:25 AM)
I see. Yeah IPA is basically just diluted alcohol wipe. And don't say it like that Bro. Haha. Everybody have their own methods and also limited time & energy to invest into detailing. We are all just sharing here smile.gif keep it up Bro!
Thanks for the words of encouragement bro.

Appreciate it.

Btw, any tips on IPA? Was trying to look at pharmacies like Caring/Watsons/Guardian to get the isopropyl alcohol and dilute it myself but couldn't find it. Else I should expand my search into bigger pharmacies like Big? I don't recall seeing any at Ace Hardware too if looking at off the shelf IPAs. Or likely I'm not looking at the right place. Haha.

And yes, you are right. As a family man with kids, it's hard to find that teeny tiny window to even spare to rekindle my interests in rotary... that's why I prefer quick fix such as spray waxes which doesn't take up too much time. And I only sent my car for polishing once way back in 2016 [Giant carwash at USJ near Summit]... Most times I prefer to DIY & spend long time ogling at car care sections in Ace/Jusco/Autobacs... Hahahaha

Edit: seems like better to get it online:-
user posted image

From Lazada - Isopropyl Alcohol

This post has been edited by woodentiger86: Jul 2 2019, 10:57 AM

81 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0276sec    0.42    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:23 AM