5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Car Care & Detailing [V5], Caring for your car apprearance

views

christ14
post Sep 20 2020, 10:00 AM

Regular
1,503 posts

Whats the go to thing for wax and/or coating now?

Used to be on mix megs and optimum but after 4 years of being carless, might get a car soon 😪 making a white shiny is tough work
christ14
post Sep 21 2020, 10:19 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(woodentiger86 @ Sep 21 2020, 10:11 AM)
If it's the in-thing now, the craze is all about those Sio2 type waxes. Effortless to apply and provides crazy beading. That's the convenience and time saving element.

Meg's HCW, TW Ceramic Range etc.

Having said that, certain old-school methods still give great results, such as paste waxes etc.

Ensure the car has been prepped from the start [clay, polish etc] and thereafter it's very easy to maintain.

My car only clayed once since collecting it in mid 2019 and all I've done to it is just the regular washes and top up with spray waxes etc and it still beads like mad:

user posted image
Ahh so it seems. I've thought that if im getting a new car, id skip some prep meaning no clay and polish albeit its less ideal but previously my polish never finish too and dont wana get new ones.

These hybrid stuff are so cool and easy after watching all the videos lol. Thats a very good beading! Hoping the TW ICE range are UV protectant too
christ14
post Sep 22 2020, 09:57 AM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(woodentiger86 @ Sep 22 2020, 08:52 AM)
Racun ah?? Are they a good purchase? Saw the buckets sold at Osren too with the grit guard but I didn't proceed to get it. Haha. Happy with my simple pails from those kedai runcit. brows.gif
Technically it should be this way - think of it as a brand new car = blank canvas for you to protect. Rather than come in way too late when your ride has been exposed to the elements/scratches after several years. So that one time investment at the very start to surface prep the car before applying any form of protection [i.e waxes, sealants, Sio2] will make it last even better.

Like I shared in the earlier post, I've only thoroughly clayed my ride once since July 2019 and ever since, I've just continued my regular wash regime and testing out all sorts of products on the paint to ensure it beads like mad. Hahaha.

My previous ride after one round of claying and apply TW Ice Seal & Shine
user posted image

TW Ice range is good but pretty pricey here.
Anyone here got some spares to letgo? Haha like polish and claybar?

Beads pretty good! All the vids says in US only cost like 6 bucks. Daheck. Googled the price here and its exorbitant. Whats your durability? Im aiming to reapply like once a month ish. If my partner doesnt use the car or we use it as weekend ride. Old liao dun wana elbow grease hahaha need simple stuff that works
christ14
post Sep 22 2020, 05:37 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(woodentiger86 @ Sep 22 2020, 02:35 PM)
Where are you based bro?

Anyways, if you're really tight with budget, there's many OEM clay bars out there. Of course there are some selling for < RM10 but unbranded la. Haven't tried them also. Otherwise may consider Perma Glass [PG] claybars as they retail for around < RM20.

I think once a month application is fair also. Much depends on the car's exposure to the elements. Is your ride parked outdoors 24/7? Access to shade/roof? Avoid parking under trees yea. Cleaning those twigs is one thing, another is the likelihood of tree sap or bird droppings falling onto your ride and etched onto your paint if not removed quickly.

In an earlier post the page before, I did share some photos of the shelves at Mr DIY. You may consider giving those items a try, but they're kinda cheap. May do the job though.
Haha I see. Was wondering what's the benefits of getting a proper bucket, since it does look like paint buckets. brows.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
South Puchong like close to putrajaya ish

Yeah thinking the same, will just buy some if cant get any lol whichever to try. Because mines basement parking lol away from any harm. TW ice range is overkill here although much praise. Seems like the cheaper Megs SiO2 is the go to.

Also its be my first time washing a car in a condo. No water supply anywhere in the basement! How do people in the city was their car? And no i dont mean sending to car wash haha

This post has been edited by christ14: Sep 22 2020, 05:38 PM
christ14
post Sep 26 2020, 10:09 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

Is clay mitt/sponge popular here? Or we going classic clay bar+ clay lube?
christ14
post Sep 27 2020, 09:55 AM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(celciuz @ Sep 26 2020, 11:02 PM)
Clay mitt/clay cloth all have bigger area and faster working, but some stubborn contaminants still need aggressive clay bar to do it. I use both clay cloth and clay bar (got the usual and the red joybond).
Yessss thats what i saw and seems less time consuming.

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Sep 26 2020, 10:43 PM)
Few years back...it was all clay bar...but I guess many here been either trying it out or moved to clay mitt, including me. why?
Willing to try it out but less people talk about it and im like. Last year videos been out about these stuff so wondering which and what the crowd here use? Any brands preferred or just get some off lazada/shopee. Not sure how effective it is too. Like what lube to use or do we just use normal car wash shampoo and concentrate it more. Then top it off with iron remover? As some could be embedded
christ14
post Sep 27 2020, 09:57 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(newhouseowner @ Sep 27 2020, 07:50 PM)
TW blow away meguiar by far margin. since you are looking for durability, used only TW.

Option 1: as above, if you used meguiar, it will impact the overall durability. Between product compatibility, there is another issue.
Option 2: correct, meguiar hybrid liquid wax (yellow one) as base layer to seal the paintwork after properly prep, after wash, used meguiar hybrid ceramic wax (blue one) as maintenance. You might consider meguiar ceramic spray detailer in between wash weekly (this detailer boost gloss and hydrophobic), the blue one can be used as monthly maintenance.
Option 3: exactly the option I'm using for my 2 rides. this option is highest gloss among the option.

Just to clarify that you meant the Meguiar hybrid ceramic liquid wax should NOT be used with a wax/sealant but should/can be used with Meguiar hybrid ceramix wax and/or hybrid ceramic detailer?---->>Yes it is. The reason is because this meg hybrid ceramic liquid wax (the yellow one) used as a base layer. If you used as a base layer, anything on top of it like wax and sealant you applied, it will impact the property of the ceramic wax especially self cleaning.

If so, since you said the hybrid ceramic liquid wax should not combo with a wax, isn't the meguiar hybrid ceramic wax (blue one) a wax as well, I mean even the name says it's a "wax"?
1) Meguiar ultimate paste/liquid wax is actually not wax but a sealant? Reading further, the ultimate paste/liquid wax are synthetic wax but are synthetic wax considered as sealants then?
2) Let's say I use the Meguiar Hybrid ceramic liquid wax as the only layer. After every wash, what should I "top up" to maintain the hydrophobicity?
3) How is the durability of the Meguiar hybrid ceramic liquid wax compared to other sealants such as Turtle Wax Ice Seal n Shine or Meguiar Synthetic Sealant 2.0?

as below:
Yes it is but different way to apply. If you see option 3 above, i put the sealant as base layer, after this layer bonding to paintwork through curing, i applied meg hybrid ceramic wax (blue one) on top of it. base layer sealant boost gloss, hydrophobic a little durability, top layer meg hybrid ceramic wax (blue one) boost further hydrophobic, durability and self cleaning. That's why this way won't impact the benifit of both waxes.
1) Yes it is. all synthetic wax is man made engineering chemistry wax, so we enthusiast category it as sealant. A true natural wax is in carnauba form. often called it carnauba wax.
2) You can refer to option 2 above.
3) meguiar lost to TW as anwered above . for a sealant, meguiar ultimate paste/liquid win meguiar synthetic sealant 2.0 for both gloss and durability. THis is the only consumer line outperform their own professional.

If you still in doubt about meguiar ultimate liquid wax = sealant, you can go to meguiare forum and autogeek forum to check it out. answer is there. :thumbsup:

Let's say the base layer is a wax that typically lasts 3 months. The first/last layer is the ceramic/Si02 coating which lasts 5 months. Does it mean the wax will now last as long as the ceramic/Si02 coating? Simply put, the base layer will only last as long as the last layer?--->> theoretically, it is but also no. All contaminants attack the top layer everyday, once the contamination penetrate to base layer, it is gone. The problem is we don't know how this contamination attacking it. If your paintwork is not properly prep, imagine there is some fine or minor scratch, we layer both waxed on top of it, let say there is a gap between wax and clearcoat, this area very fast bring down by contamination attacking, thus in our eyes we see the wax not longer lasting compared to others. There is too many factor to impact durability. That's why I'm not going for all out durability instead of gloss, hybrophobic and sleekness.

Below are my testing but not yet ended it, car prep on 2/8 using option 3 method above for my wife car daily work Mon to Fri, environment industrial fallout. Accidentally top up one layer meg hybrd ceramic wax (blue one) few weeks ago.

Make sense?
Bruh.... Did you write this while waiting for curing time? Hahahahaha man so detail and lengthy i actually read it all
christ14
post Sep 29 2020, 09:28 AM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(woodentiger86 @ Sep 29 2020, 09:22 AM)
Using clay cloth also for the past 1 year or so. The convenience and time saved helps a lot.

Took a bit of time to adjust to the 'lack of friction' or grabby sensation I used to experience with the clay bar though. And one thing about clay cloths/mitts/towels, since the part facing the paint is almost always black/grey, can't really see the dirt being picked up vs the traditional clay bar.
What brand works for you? Is it supposed to have pores in between?

Yeah since thats a factor guess have to run the hand over and see if everything's picked up. Also not sure if marring will occur. These mitts/clothes are just rinseable to rid contaminants? Might survey around but never see anything on sale before
christ14
post Sep 29 2020, 12:25 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(woodentiger86 @ Sep 29 2020, 11:04 AM)
Fuyoh - car make up stuffs - new rims ah? I noticed from the pics it ain't running on the stock Polo rims already. laugh.gif

Yea, still using garden hose to hose off my wash solutions if using Nano/Bubble Wash. brows.gif
So far using Osren's Clay Cloth, as per my sig. Was looking at Polyshave as well on Shopee/Lazada a few months ago but didn't pursue it cos my clay cloth still working fine. I threw away the cheapo clay mitt I bought from China previously though - it left visible marrings on the paint despite proper lubrication with soap/QD.
Ok the latter was the clarification i was seeking for lol

Guess thats the red flag
christ14
post Sep 29 2020, 05:55 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(junclj @ Sep 29 2020, 05:25 PM)
I have heard from many people suggest to stay with clay bar only because clay bar is the safest way to avoid your car get marred by leaving fine scratches on the paint surface. The main reason is clay bar able to flip over to other side to use when get dirty, also can remold when both side get dirty. As long as you use it correctly together with clay lube, you will have lowest chance to scratch the paint surface.

For clay clothes and clay mitt, the performance are better than clay bar but there has one big disadvantages is high chance to get your car scratch. We cannot say clay clothes and clay mitts are totally unusable, they have certain situation that we need to use clay clothes or clay mitts. When we prepare to polish the car, using clay clothes/mitts can shorten the time to get the car clean before proceed to polish. Usually for car polish, we just ignore about the fine scratch by clay clothes/mitts because the next step we polish will fix all of the scratches, swirls problems.

So what if we want to skip the polish step then directly to wax? We better to keep use clay bar only because clay bar has smooth surface and help us to avoid scratches when do claying.
Informative. Guess its back to old school if polish isnt in the works
christ14
post Sep 30 2020, 12:13 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

Graphene so expensive still
christ14
post Oct 1 2020, 08:37 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(newhouseowner @ Oct 1 2020, 06:32 PM)
thumbup.gif

Ultimate protectant still outlast new car scent protectant. Ultimate one can also be used on exterior plastic. It make plastic looks darker doesn't matter interior or exterior. Just very simple rule, meg ultimate series of product in the consumer line is the highest grade product in their line up.

Bonus for you. interior by new car scent protectant for a weekend car, 3 years + old.

user posted image

Enjoy your detailing  rclxms.gif
This looks hubba hubba

christ14
post Oct 3 2020, 09:49 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

Was around mr diy and decided to try a cheapo polymer spray

This post has been edited by christ14: Oct 3 2020, 09:51 PM
christ14
post Oct 5 2020, 01:11 AM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(miaopurr @ Oct 4 2020, 07:22 PM)
3rd weekend after applying osren sio2 spray wax. 2nd wash.
so much dirt and rain stains. worse than when i used the cheaper tw carnauba spray wax.
was just surveying this cheapo stuff, guess to look away
christ14
post Oct 5 2020, 02:06 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(woodentiger86 @ Oct 5 2020, 08:20 AM)
Which one you opted for bro? The RM14.90 one?

Do share the results yea.
The getsun one haha trying to upload. Its like rm13 ish or so. Initially wanted to coat the windows and lazy get rainx etc so try this one cheap2 and then test on my gf car bonnet lol. Getsun polymer spray
christ14
post Oct 5 2020, 03:20 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(woodentiger86 @ Oct 5 2020, 02:50 PM)
From the video, can see water sheeting. A bit slow though so likely the surface tension of the product not really bonding with the paint.

Maybe try to clay the area and reapply the coating - it should be much better bro.

Rain X ok la. I do recommend getting Soft 99 Glaco.

Seriously worth it. I think Glaco roll on is around < RM30.

user posted image
Yaya quiet slow because many contaminants. Havent bought any clay yet. Glaco is liquid or spray on?
christ14
post Oct 6 2020, 07:45 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

Speaking of car shampoo... I know ONR but is there other brand for cheaper? Like what do people use in condos/apts here haha
christ14
post Oct 8 2020, 04:33 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(MazeLoL @ Oct 8 2020, 10:23 AM)
Wow , clay cloth then clay bar 😳

Damn hardcore bro !! Anyway I think you can try clay bar first but get something which is reasonable pricing and not those “3M” Claybar at Laz or Shopee which is terrible as I brought twice from different seller but end up ending into the trash before using it .
wow how so haha
christ14
post Oct 9 2020, 12:42 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(-kytz- @ Oct 9 2020, 11:44 AM)
Any reviews on this?

LazMall APACHE WaterOFF® Ceramic Speed Wax Ultimate Car Coating Liquid Hydrophobic Water Repellent Cleaner For Glossy Finish (600ML)

RM30 at Lazada flash sale below

https://s.lazada.com.my/s.1SNyb
also saw it yesterday 29.90 ish

then it also got other stuff like wash kit etc, seems reasonable and says made in malaysia hmm.gif
christ14
post Oct 9 2020, 03:43 PM

Regular
1,503 posts

QUOTE(woodentiger86 @ Oct 9 2020, 02:55 PM)
Saw this Apache on Shopee a few weeks ago as well...

But didn't pursue further.

Probably repackaged stuffs but the pricing is neither too cheap nor too expensive. It's a bit middling yet sounds too good to be true either... Haha
so it seems summore never heard of hahaha

got dodgy feeling but got wana try feel brows.gif due to an ok price

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0767sec    0.12    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:41 AM