794 Pages « < 316 317 318 319 320 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Car Care & Detailing [V5], Caring for your car apprearance

views

N33d
post May 23 2019, 03:52 PM

Enthusiast
896 posts

for those of you who wondered how much could, meg's DA power system correct.

this is my result.. 2 step(UC orange foam + UP yellow foam), 5-6 passes each.. subject is sanded with 2000 grits sandpaper.. doing this as a study to correct my headlight which I planned to sand it with 2000 grits paper
Not able to fully remove the sanding marks, but at least it improved 80% and almost invisible under normal diffused light. If I were to take a guess, I think I could remove it totally if I can get myself a red correcting pad + maybe 2x more passes

Thanks to my old Seagate ext HDD which serve as a canvas for me to fool around LOL

user posted image
Quartzphene
post May 23 2019, 03:58 PM

Getting Started
97 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ May 23 2019, 03:14 PM)
Interesting suggestion. Do you use this? Can I ask Is the colour temperature more towards warmer (yellowish) or cooler (white-ish)?
Depends on your requirements and lighthing conditions of your work area. Better get both for versatility and convenience. Just do a test spot and examine whether the result is satisfactory to your needs. Still using polymer based wax like collinite on your ride or moving towards sio2 based protection?
V429
post May 23 2019, 03:59 PM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(N33d @ May 23 2019, 03:52 PM)
Thanks to my old Seagate ext HDD which serve as a canvas for me to fool around LOL
Lol! Impressed by your creativity. Just wonder is it similar to car paint with clear coat or just single stage paint. Hahaha.

So this system is attachment to power tools right? Wonder how long can the battery last? Is overheating a problem? Does the pad stall more easily compared to DA machine?

Sorry for the barrage of question but quite curious how this works since never hear much about this.
#Victor
post May 23 2019, 04:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,600 posts

how to remove this stain sitting on paint? suspect it is tree sap when first got the stain which was very sticky and smelly before dried up by sun
user posted image
V429
post May 23 2019, 04:06 PM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(Quartzphene @ May 23 2019, 03:58 PM)
Depends on your requirements and lighthing conditions of your work area. Better get both for versatility and convenience. Just do a test spot and examine whether the result is satisfactory to your needs. Still using polymer based wax like collinite on your ride or moving towards sio2 based protection?
I mostly just work at house car porch (half covered) during the day. Sometimes I really wish I can borrow torchlight from stores to go to my car and test it before purchase tongue.gif but yeah I think I should probably get both white and yellow light.

Funny thing I have a nitecore torchlight (with cool colour temperature), but when I shine it on my dark blue metallic paint, can't really see much swirls (even if I know there are suppose to be more swirls since I saw under street lamps before). Maybe most swirls at that time are hidden by wax? Need to experiment.

Currently still using traditional paste & spray wax. In the future might try out sio2 spray light Meguiars HCW.

This post has been edited by V429: May 23 2019, 04:24 PM
blurcase
post May 23 2019, 04:45 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ May 23 2019, 01:30 PM)
I do have one more thing wanna ask you guys : what lighting do you guys use? Since I am just renting outside, no convenient for me to get those big lighting with stands. Thinking to get a torchlight as Blurcase mentioned sometime ago but not quite sure what to get.
Few recommendations I can give:

1) flashlights using 18650 batteries from fasttech
2) headgear flashlights, can buy from Sports Direct at their camping gear section
3) variety of emergency torchlights and emergency lights from Mr DIY.

N33d
post May 23 2019, 04:46 PM

Enthusiast
896 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ May 23 2019, 03:59 PM)
Lol! Impressed by your creativity. Just wonder is it similar to car paint with clear coat or just single stage paint. Hahaha.

So this system is attachment to power tools right? Wonder how long can the battery last? Is overheating a problem? Does the pad stall more easily compared to DA machine?

Sorry for the barrage of question but quite curious how this works since never hear much about this.
hmmm
i think is 'single stage paint' cos I don't think Seagate would put clear over the HDD case LOL
but i might be wrong as i did not find my pad is stained with color. might be too little to be notice

yeah, it is the one that attach to a power drill. I use a 18v Black decker cordless drill and I think the power is enough for light maintenance. Battery not sure, I polished 2 sets of headlight. each twice. still got some juice left
I think i could do 2-3 panels without any prob... no overheating so far.. feeling warm only.

About the stall issue, this is the interesting one
you will be surprised if I tell you this DA system is a forced rotation system. Means no stall as it keeps spinning even with pressure. which is one of the reasons that got me sold on it. Else, I would think this system is a total failure for correction.

I think is product deserve a little more attention than it got.
Yes, a proper corded DA machine is a mile ahead but it's totally helpless when you could not find a socket to power it. with correct washing technique, most I need i just light maintenance here and there(like one week do one AIO 1-2 panel after washing) and this tool suit my needs. I do no need to risk being caught by mgmt or owners for illegally using an available outlet to scratch my detailing itch

it's like ' the best tool is the one that is always available to you'

This post has been edited by N33d: May 23 2019, 04:48 PM
slk
post May 23 2019, 05:07 PM

Casual
326 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ May 23 2019, 03:14 PM)
Interesting suggestion. Do you use this? Can I ask Is the colour temperature more towards warmer (yellowish) or cooler (white-ish)?
IMHO it depends on the brightness(lumens) and type of LED diode...

currently my fav torch for dark coloured cars is the Zebralight H600Fd Mk IV Floody.....
slk
post May 23 2019, 05:11 PM

Casual
326 posts

QUOTE(#Victor @ May 23 2019, 04:01 PM)
how to remove this stain sitting on paint? suspect it is tree sap when first got the stain which was very sticky and smelly before dried up by sun
user posted image
try magic sponge... but you will need to repolish
V429
post May 23 2019, 05:32 PM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(N33d @ May 23 2019, 04:46 PM)
hmmm
i think is 'single stage paint' cos I don't think Seagate would put clear over the HDD case LOL
but i might be wrong as i did not find my pad is stained with color. might be too little to be notice

yeah, it is the one that attach to a power drill. I use a 18v Black decker cordless drill and I think the power is enough for light maintenance. Battery not sure, I polished 2 sets of headlight. each twice. still got some juice left
I think i could do 2-3 panels without any prob... no overheating so far.. feeling warm only.

About the stall issue, this is the interesting one
you will be surprised if I tell you this DA system is a forced rotation system. Means no stall as it keeps spinning even with pressure. which is one of the reasons that got me sold on it. Else, I would think this system is a total failure for correction.

I think is product deserve a little more attention than it got.
Yes, a proper corded DA machine is a mile ahead but it's totally helpless when you could not find a socket to power it. with correct washing technique, most I need i just light maintenance here and there(like one week do one AIO 1-2 panel after washing) and this tool suit my needs. I do no need to risk being caught by mgmt or owners for illegally using an available outlet to scratch my detailing itch

it's like ' the best tool is the one that is always available to you'
I suspect the HDD might have clear or glossy plastic similar to headlight material instead of paint but it's just my wild guess.

Interesting product, I think this is like a 'life saver' product for a lot of detailers living in Condo. Haha. Thanks for sharing, very informative indeed.

V429
post May 23 2019, 05:41 PM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(slk @ May 23 2019, 05:07 PM)
IMHO it depends on the brightness(lumens) and type of LED diode...

currently my fav torch for dark coloured cars is the Zebralight H600Fd Mk IV Floody.....
Couldnt find zebralight, don't think it's common here in Malaysia. Haha. Can I ask any specs I should look out for? I think lumens can't be too high right? (may reflect on car paint and blind myself) also, is high CRI important for our use?
V429
post May 23 2019, 05:44 PM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ May 23 2019, 04:45 PM)
Few recommendations I can give:

1) flashlights using 18650 batteries from fasttech
2) headgear flashlights, can buy from Sports Direct at their camping gear section
3) variety of emergency torchlights and emergency lights from Mr DIY.
Thanks for the recommendations. I tot about getting a headgear flashlight too after watch red details YouTube video. seems quite useful as we don't need to hold it.
V429
post May 23 2019, 07:28 PM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(#Victor @ May 23 2019, 04:01 PM)
user posted image
Can't tell what this is, looks almost like dried candle wax drips. Did you try hitting it with chemicals & clay yet?
#Victor
post May 23 2019, 07:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,600 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ May 23 2019, 07:28 PM)
Can't tell what this is, looks almost like dried candle wax drips. Did you try hitting it with chemicals & clay yet?
don't have any chemical other than car shampoo icon_question.gif tried with claybar when it was still fresh in transparent before it baked under the sun and turn whitish like now.
V429
post May 23 2019, 08:14 PM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(#Victor @ May 23 2019, 07:50 PM)
don't have any chemical other than car shampoo icon_question.gif tried with claybar when it was still fresh in transparent before it baked under the sun and turn whitish like now.
I see.. Try to clean with diluted dish soap, if that doesn't work maybe might have to rub it off with magic sponge like Bro Slk mention.

This post has been edited by V429: May 23 2019, 08:14 PM
slk
post May 23 2019, 11:25 PM

Casual
326 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ May 23 2019, 05:41 PM)
Couldnt find zebralight, don't think it's common here in Malaysia. Haha. Can I ask any specs I should look out for? I think lumens can't be too high right? (may reflect on car paint and blind myself) also, is high CRI important for our use?
not the best person to advice on torchlight smile.gif

actually it depends on what kind of brightness at where you are doing polishing. I need a brighter torch because i do my detail during day time and my car porch is quite bright from natural daylight.

I inspect before and after polish, not during the buffing... i cannot wear head mounted light because i sweat a lot. If you want to use one, just make sure it doesnt heats up after prolong use.

Zebralight is available online only. another option is to contact http://www.philightsophy.com/index.php as he is a car detailer too. I got my Eagletac TX25C2 from him.

haa another thing to look for is the type of reflector... mine is the smooth type
V429
post May 23 2019, 11:34 PM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(slk @ May 23 2019, 11:25 PM)
not the best person to advice on torchlight  smile.gif

actually it depends on what kind of brightness at where you are doing polishing. I need a brighter torch because i do my detail during day time and my car porch is quite bright from natural daylight.

I inspect before and after polish, not during the buffing... i cannot wear head mounted light because i sweat a lot. If you want to use one, just make sure it doesnt heats up after prolong use.

Zebralight is available online only. another option is to contact http://www.philightsophy.com/index.php as he is a car detailer too. I got my Eagletac TX25C2 from him.

haa another thing to look for is the type of reflector... mine is the smooth type
Thanks for the advice smile.gif will check out the website!

Iroquois Plissken
post May 24 2019, 07:36 AM

Getting Started
57 posts

My car turns 2 next month and it still looks pristine because I wax it at least every two months and always hand wash. Is there anything I could do to maintain it aside from waxing? I heard about ceramic coating but I'm not sure how good it is.

Also, is there a way to prevent waterspots since it rains so regularly in Selangor? Getting tired or always washing the car after rain!
V429
post May 24 2019, 08:12 AM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(Iroquois Plissken @ May 24 2019, 07:36 AM)
My car turns 2 next month and it still looks pristine because I wax it at least every two months and always hand wash. Is there anything I could do to maintain it aside from waxing? I heard about ceramic coating but I'm not sure how good it is.

Also, is there a way to prevent waterspots since it rains so regularly in Selangor? Getting tired or always washing the car after rain!
You always wash your car after kena rain? I think that's a bit extreme. My simple suggestion is just wash your car once every week or every 2 weeks, then use spray wax after every wash (faster to apply then paste wax).

Personally I don't prefer coating because can't polish or clay or hit it with chemicals and also I heard it attracts waterspots more easily.
Kaffatsum
post May 24 2019, 08:57 AM

On my way
599 posts

Anybody here have suggestion for vacuum cleaner for interior cleaning? Dont need a fancy extractor or anything but a vacuum would solve most of my interior cleaning needs along with some APC and brushes.

794 Pages « < 316 317 318 319 320 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0183sec    0.20    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:31 AM