Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Car Care & Detailing [V5], Caring for your car apprearance

#Victor
post Mar 19 2019, 06:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(blurcase @ Mar 19 2019, 04:57 PM)
I used to stay in landed with my parents, so had the luxury of car park with electricity via extension cords. However now I live in condo with my wife, so dont have such luxury. If I require polishing, then I go to my parents place.

Honestly speaking, battery operated machines doesnt give u the length of time required to polish an entire car no matter how good it is. Even when u see furniture ppl come fix up furniture at your place, everywhere they go they will try to borrow a power socket to charge their batteries while they have other spare batteries to work. If u really talk about mobile detailing, then a generator set is the more practical solution, and that is definitely not a DIY home detailer's ideal situation.

So what would be my best recommendation? I have 2:

1) Send your car to a good detailer u trust and have seen their work, go for a good 2-3 step compound polish. After that try your best to wash yourself and wax regularly to keep the paint always looking good.
2) If u do get a battery operated device, then complete 1 panel a day. Clay, compound, polish, wax 1 panel a day. Your batteries only last that long, so u should at least target to complete 1 panel before the batteries finish so that u dont have to worry about it being naked before moving to next panel. Finish 1 panel, go home and charge the batteries and repeat next day.

Hope this helps.
I guess option (1) would be ideal. Option (2) required investing so much time and cost for machines, as well as compounds on a daily driver.

Btw what are the differences using hand polish and machines other than suffering from muscle pain and effectiveness? Can hand polish achieve the same result like machines?
V429
post Mar 19 2019, 06:49 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(#Victor @ Mar 19 2019, 06:12 PM)
I guess option (1) would be ideal. Option (2) required investing so much time and cost for machines, as well as compounds on a daily driver.

Btw what are the differences using hand polish and machines other than suffering from muscle pain and effectiveness? Can hand polish achieve the same result like machines?
I think hand polish will never achieve the same results as machines. One simple fact is that our hand's RPM (how many circles we can Spin the pad in a minute) will never be as high as the machine.
blurcase
post Mar 19 2019, 07:02 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(#Victor @ Mar 19 2019, 06:12 PM)

Realistically, no, unfortunately hand polish will have a very difficult time achieving the same results as machines polish. When u hand polish, at best u could start with 30-40 RPM with your hands (if u bother to count the amount of rotations u do per minute on a panel), but by the time u have done 1 panel and moving on to the next, u will start to get tired and your speed slows down to maybe 20 RPM. A typical rotary machine's lowest speed is 600 RPM, so its easily doing 15-20 times faster work in polishing your paint. Besides, hand movement often provide far less consistent pressure on the pad and paint, and machines would generally have more consistent pressure.

Having said that, it is still very useful to have some compound and polish at home. If u do get some fine scratches, u can easily spot polish and remove some of these scratches quite easily.
kennt0312
post Mar 20 2019, 10:14 AM

Casual

QUOTE(blurcase @ Mar 19 2019, 04:57 PM)
Unfortunately there isnt any easy way other than polishing. U can try hand polishing with a polish and pad, but best manage your own expectations on the results.
I used to stay in landed with my parents, so had the luxury of car park with electricity via extension cords. However now I live in condo with my wife, so dont have such luxury. If I require polishing, then I go to my parents place.

thanks for the reply, appreciate that.

anyone have any recommended & reputable polish/wax shop with reasonable price around seri kembangan/sri petaling/puchong/kuchai area? thanks in advance!
kahjun
post Mar 20 2019, 12:42 PM

Getting Started

any recommendation on car wash shampoo/soap for normal,regular self wash?
V429
post Mar 20 2019, 03:51 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(kahjun @ Mar 20 2019, 12:42 PM)
Meguiars and Osren's shampoo should be good. Or if you are not picky then most car shampoo sold at Ace hardware should be fine.
Par@dox
post Mar 20 2019, 07:04 PM

Gantzer

QUOTE(kahjun @ Mar 20 2019, 12:42 PM)
This is a great budget option. I bought this under a whim and it turned out to be excellent, as a normal wash shampoo or as a foam shampoo. Produces a good amount of suds and ideal for foam cannon use.

GM Tech Shampoo
Twins10
post Mar 21 2019, 09:51 AM

Getting Started

Rotary polisher for polish and then handwax?
blurcase
post Mar 21 2019, 11:21 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Twins10 @ Mar 21 2019, 09:51 AM)
Rotary polisher for polish and then handwax?
Tricky, rotary is great at cutting, but finishing had always been tougher, especially for the less experienced. That is why DA became so popular, because it can finish to high gloss and swirl free even for newbies.

Handwax generally is still the most practical option.
N33d
post Mar 21 2019, 09:01 PM

Enthusiast

i am thinking of selling my DA polisher after I bought my new first house, a condo.. after taking a look at the condition/layout at the car park and car wash area. i dont even think i would have a chance to use it anymore.. no power outlet at all and car park not fully covered from the environment

Thinking of going meg's DA power system combo with my cordless drill..at least once a while i can still polish here and thr to maintain the shine, esp the headlight.
blurcase
post Yesterday, 12:32 PM

Getting Started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD2q2gLzNlQ

For u 2-bucket wash fans out there, here's an interesting modification to the existing system. smile.gif
#Victor
post Yesterday, 12:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(N33d @ Mar 21 2019, 09:01 PM)
i am thinking of selling my DA polisher after I bought my new first house, a condo.. after taking a look at the condition/layout at the car park and car wash area. i dont even think i would have a chance to use it anymore.. no power outlet at all and car park not fully covered from the environment

Thinking of going meg's DA power system combo with my cordless drill..at least once a while i can still polish here and thr to maintain the shine, esp the headlight.
can cordless drill use as polisher? how to combo with polish pad?
Par@dox
post Yesterday, 06:48 PM

Gantzer

QUOTE(blurcase @ Mar 22 2019, 12:32 PM)

For u 2-bucket wash fans out there, here's an interesting modification to the existing system. smile.gif
Yeah.. saw the video. Too time consuming I feel.
VeeJay
post Yesterday, 08:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Par@dox @ Mar 22 2019, 06:48 PM)
Yeah.. saw the video. Too time consuming I feel.
lol ya....unless someone wants to be perfectionist. With 2 bucket, we are minimizing the swirls and scratch's from the wash. Cukup la smile.gif
V429
post Yesterday, 09:39 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(blurcase @ Mar 22 2019, 12:32 PM)

Interesting idea. Indeed it has the advantage of not diluting the soap bucket, but I wonder whether spin drying the wash mitt really can dislodge dirt inside? Or just make it dryer but the dirt stuck inside still remains?

Kinda wish he did an side by side experiment with these 2 different methods.

This post has been edited by V429: Yesterday, 09:39 PM
blurcase
post Yesterday, 11:57 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(V429 @ Mar 22 2019, 09:39 PM)
Interesting idea. Indeed it has the advantage of not diluting the soap bucket, but I wonder whether spin drying the wash mitt really can dislodge dirt inside? Or just make it dryer but the dirt stuck inside still remains?

Kinda wish he did an side by side experiment with these 2 different methods.
From my own basic logic, the inner side of the wash mitt will have the dirt pushed further into the mitt, unless u flip it around and wring again with the spinner. Basic g-force rules.

If u guys got time and patience, then can try wash 2 cars with different variations of this method and see if what he says is true. smile.gif

Twins10
post Today, 12:01 AM

Getting Started

Anyone use car plan triple wax products from UK? Any reviews?

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0873sec    6.80    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd March 2019 - 06:23 PM