Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Car Care & Detailing [V5], Caring for your car apprearance

douglas_tong
post Jan 7 2019, 10:13 AM

MaddDougg
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(blurcase @ Jan 6 2019, 10:29 PM)
Not yet, plan to do that soon. However, I would suspect by using acid to remove watermarks on the car paint, it would strip or degrade the coating as well, yes?
Good coating can take quite a bit of beating. Some brands we experimented, really took quite some beating and still has water beading on it. Some, while still retains the water beading, starts turning blurry.

I would say using a damp cloth method is very safe on coatings. Much like polishing, use less acidic approach and increase if have to.

Also one of the reason why I don't like coating.

QUOTE(blurcase @ Jan 7 2019, 09:36 AM)
Well, the big issue is definitely the watermarks on the entire car (including windshield, windows and side mirrors), however I am unsure if etching had happened already or not.

On some past discussion with fellow forumers here and from other forums do confirm that ceramic coatings are watermarks magnet. Since my wife’s car was coated with Camui coating by myself 2 years ago, I am assuming the same issues apply.
As long as minerals and calcium are present on water, waterspot will appear in any brand of coating. You should ask the guy here la, claims one brand of coating will not have waterspots.

QUOTE(slk @ Jan 7 2019, 09:42 AM)
If 2 years can recoat  biggrin.gif

Coatings need Spray wax to minimize water spotting.... and a cordless blower is your best friend smile.gif
Pm price for cordless blower lol

douglas_tong
post Jan 7 2019, 10:28 AM

MaddDougg

For those who are considering if they would want to have their cars coated or not.

1) Please forget about the longevity of the coating or so they proclaim.
What you should be seeking for is how well is the after-sales service. If after-sales service is good, your car is in good hands. Ideally, you want to seek for service, not just product feature alone.

2) Understand the coating package. 1 year, 2 years, 5 years or so, prices will vary. Again, ditch the mentality of durability of coating. Basically operators are selling service, and according to your budget or selection, that's how long your car will be taken care of. Any shine that comes after that is a bonus.

3) Understand the terms and condition of the warranty.
If you pick a 3 years coating package, operator has to honour that 3 years. So please understand what is covered and what is not. If they are selling 3 years warranty but only give 1 year of free "maintenance", basically the package is 1 year, not 3 years. Please and I stress upon this: Ask about if the warranty is on water beading on or the shine & gloss. Most maintenance will involve spraying a layer of sealant. Once sealant wears out, there will no longer be water beading. But gloss is entirely different. (long story short - gloss is also part of the feature of the presence of coating, not just water beading)

4) Understand what you are getting into.
Deciding which service provider means subscribing to their service. It also means entrusting them to take good care of your car for the number of years you are subscribing to. (much like signing up digi plan for 2 years la.)

5) Coated cars are not invincible
As discussed, also prone to waterspots and scratches la. It's not a product whereby after application it will increase your car's armor. It's similar to assigning of a beautician for your car. That doesn't mean you don't have to take good care of your car too. I advise washing it with 2 bucket + grit guard method if you really want to retain that shine. For everything else, go back to your service provider.

Bonus
If you have spare time on hand, DIY! Detailing can be quick and simple. Sometimes, a well taken cared car will outshine a coated car too.

This post has been edited by douglas_tong: Jan 7 2019, 10:43 AM
slk
post Jan 7 2019, 10:57 AM

Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(douglas_tong @ Jan 7 2019, 10:13 AM)

Pm price for cordless blower lol
ayam not taukeh lah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nirkRQZvpa0

321aisyalam
post Jan 9 2019, 05:19 PM

Group: Newbie

Hi all taikors,

Would like to seek option on bosch gp950 vs gxe125-1. My intention is to do simple polish and waxing. Can both serve these purposes? Budget is below rm500? Feel free to suggest other option too!

Thank you
smile.gif
blurcase
post Jan 9 2019, 07:27 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(321aisyalam @ Jan 9 2019, 05:19 PM)
Hi all taikors,

Would like to seek option on bosch gp950 vs gxe125-1. My intention is to do simple polish and waxing. Can both serve these purposes? Budget is below rm500? Feel free to suggest other option too!

Thank you
smile.gif
I had the GEX 125-1 before, honestly, not worth it for polishing, very limited work done. GPO950 on the other hand is a vertical rotary, so when it comes to compounding and polishing, it would be more of an advanced class level.

Perhaps u could visit Osren, or check out ShineMate or SGCB and see what they have to offer.
shinhwa92
post Jan 11 2019, 03:21 PM

Hey guys, just bought a Black Decker pressure washer from Tesco, RM209, model PW1370TD 1300W, for weekend car wash and sometime clean floor. https://mjjc.com/collections/foam-cannon/pr...n-for-bosch-aqt
is this the one for my washer ? any local seller here ?
celciuz
post Jan 11 2019, 07:40 PM

CY Pixels

So, I sent my car to respray my front bumper other day then saw this drip of paint on the back. Googled online recommended to use fingernail, managed to removed the color but under light can see this shape appeared, clear coat from the paint? 😓 I haven’t use machine yet. user posted image
user posted image
blurcase
post Jan 11 2019, 09:48 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(celciuz @ Jan 11 2019, 07:40 PM)
So, I sent my car to respray my front bumper other day then saw this drip of paint on the back. Googled online recommended to use fingernail, managed to removed the color but under light can see this shape appeared, clear coat from the paint? 😓 I haven’t use machine yet. user posted image
user posted image
U coul try doing a spot compounding first to see if u could level it down. If that doesnt work then using maybe 1000 grit sandpaper or above to wetsand it should do the trick. Just remember after wetsanding u will need to compound and polish to bring back the shine again. Be gentle during wetsanding so that its easier to compound after that.
celciuz
post Jan 11 2019, 09:50 PM

CY Pixels

QUOTE(blurcase @ Jan 11 2019, 09:48 PM)
U coul try doing a spot compounding first to see if u could level it down. If that doesnt work then using maybe 1000 grit sandpaper or above to wetsand it should do the trick. Just remember after wetsanding u will need to compound and polish to bring back the shine again. Be gentle during wetsanding so that its easier to compound after that.
Will try with my 3" DA (MF + Nao46), if I can't level it... gonna leave it there I guess, eventually it should level out in the future as I polish (fingers crossed).
slk
post Jan 11 2019, 10:00 PM

QUOTE(celciuz @ Jan 11 2019, 09:50 PM)
Will try with my 3" DA (MF + Nao46), if I can't level it... gonna leave it there I guess, eventually it should level out in the future as I polish (fingers crossed).
always check for heat.. plastic bumper heats up very fast!
slk
post Jan 11 2019, 10:01 PM

QUOTE(shinhwa92 @ Jan 11 2019, 03:21 PM)
Hey guys, just bought a Black Decker pressure washer from Tesco, RM209, model PW1370TD 1300W, for weekend car wash and sometime clean floor. https://mjjc.com/collections/foam-cannon/pr...n-for-bosch-aqt
is this the one for my washer ? any local seller here ?
www.osren.com
celciuz
post Jan 11 2019, 10:30 PM

CY Pixels

QUOTE(slk @ Jan 11 2019, 10:00 PM)
always check for heat.. plastic bumper heats up very fast!
Its on the rear fender... metal I guess, hopefully it goes well. Will take note of the heat too, wanna avoid overworking and burning a hole laugh.gif
Timberwolf83
post Jan 12 2019, 04:51 PM

Group: Newbie

Now it seems water wax is a hype now , car wash shops I went are pushing for this cleaning method. They charge somewhere rm 25 to 30 bucks. Gila.
blurcase
post Jan 12 2019, 06:14 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Timberwolf83 @ Jan 12 2019, 04:51 PM)
Now it seems water wax is a hype now , car wash shops I went are pushing for this cleaning method. They charge somewhere rm 25 to 30 bucks. Gila.
Yup. Commercial car detailing is often about hype mostly. Coating was a hype for the last few years.

Perosnally I still find the traditional wax still more effective protection. Other less known protection stuff like synthetic sealants are also actually very good. If I really wanted to do a “water wax” method, I think Meguiars latest Ceramic Wax seem to be the much better bet.
therain01
post Jan 13 2019, 03:30 PM

Getting Started

Deleted.

Wrong quote.

This post has been edited by therain01: Jan 13 2019, 03:32 PM
therain01
post Jan 13 2019, 03:31 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(celciuz @ Jan 11 2019, 07:40 PM)
user posted image
Just use turpintine. Your 2k clear coat will be safe from it while the color base paint can be easily removed by turpintine.

celciuz
post Jan 13 2019, 07:15 PM

CY Pixels

QUOTE(therain01 @ Jan 13 2019, 03:31 PM)
Just use turpintine. Your 2k clear coat will be safe from it while the color base paint can be easily removed by turpintine.
Base paint came off already, but this one is like... a buldge of clear coat left on it shakehead.gif
nuttyking91
post Jan 13 2019, 09:51 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(douglas_tong @ Jan 7 2019, 10:28 AM)
For those who are considering if they would want to have their cars coated or not.

What you should be seeking for is how well is the after-sales service. If after-sales service is good, your car is in good hands. Ideally, you want to seek for service, not just product feature alone.

2) Understand the coating package. 1 year, 2 years, 5 years or so, prices will vary. Again, ditch the mentality of durability of coating. Basically operators are selling service, and according to your budget or selection,  that's how long your car will be taken care of. Any shine that comes after that is a bonus.

If you pick a 3 years coating package, operator has to honour that 3 years. So please understand what is covered and what is not. If they are selling 3 years warranty but only give 1 year of free "maintenance", basically the package is 1 year, not 3 years. Please and I stress upon this: Ask about if the warranty is on water beading on or the shine & gloss. Most maintenance will involve spraying a layer of sealant. Once sealant wears out, there will no longer be water beading. But gloss is entirely different. (long story short - gloss is also part of the feature of the presence of coating, not just water beading)

Deciding which service provider means subscribing to their service. It also means entrusting them to take good care of your car for the number of years you are subscribing to. (much like signing up digi plan for 2 years la.)

As discussed, also prone to waterspots and scratches la. It's not a product whereby after application it will increase your car's armor. It's similar to assigning of a beautician for your car. That doesn't mean you don't have to take good care of your car too. I advise washing it with 2 bucket + grit guard method if you really want to retain that shine. For everything else, go back to your service provider.

Bonus
If you have spare time on hand, DIY! Detailing can be quick and simple. Sometimes, a well taken cared car will outshine a coated car too.
wow wow. well said notworthy.gif

No matter what the coatings claim to do, one has to constantly take care of the care if they want to maintain the level of paint job as new. weekly or bi weekly wash with waxing once a while is a must. Proper washing techniques with clean microfiber cloths is also a must to minimise swirl marks and light scratches. Also take note if you park under a tree (try to minimise that) or parked under a hot sun. notworthy.gif
Qasy
post Jan 14 2019, 02:55 PM

QUOTE(douglas_tong @ Jan 7 2019, 10:28 AM)

2) Understand the coating package. 1 year, 2 years, 5 years or so, prices will vary. Again, ditch the mentality of durability of coating. Basically operators are selling service, and according to your budget or selection,  that's how long your car will be taken care of. Any shine that comes after that is a bonus.

Bonus
Contemplating between coating and waxing. My sole purpose is to protect the paint. Its kept outside 24/7. My dad says there is no need of any of that since its a brand new car (4 month).
Hmm...
V429
post Jan 14 2019, 03:41 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Qasy @ Jan 14 2019, 02:55 PM)
Contemplating between coating and waxing. My sole purpose is to protect the paint. Its kept outside 24/7. My dad says there is no need of any of that since its a brand new car (4 month).
Hmm...
Most here would say protection is needed no matter new or old car. My car also kept outside all day almost everyday. I currently use spray wax and sometimes cleaner wax. Lasts about 1 (if hot weather) or 2 weeks at most.

I don't prefer coating due to lack of flexibility, cannot polish if you need to. Traditional waxing requires effort but more satisfying and cheaper in the long run for me.

297 Pages « < 272 273 274 275 276 > » Top

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0751sec    2.30    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd March 2019 - 03:07 AM