Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Car Care & Detailing [V5], Caring for your car apprearance

views

Kaffatsum
post Jan 5 2019, 02:47 PM

On my way
599 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Jan 5 2019, 01:17 PM)
Locally, u can contact Osren/SGCB for what they have to offer. Another local alternative is to visit places like Mount Explorer in Subang (https://www.gadgetworld2u.com/) to look for quality torchlights.

If order from overseas, u can try this place:

https://www.fasttech.com/

For light recommendations, generally the best light would be daylight type of bulb/led light, which falls around the 4200k range. 3500k is considered warm white or yellow based on your interpretation, and 6500k is cool white or white based on your interpretation.

Personally I think anything beyond 500 lumens is too bright for detailing, as the light reflection shining back to your eyes would most probably blind u and unable to properly see defects. As I know the original Rupes pen light is only about 100 lumens, and the scangrip ones are 650 and above (which I kinda think overkill but maybe I'm wrong).

Feel free to buy a small variety based on your budget, and test them against your existing cars to know which one works and which doesnt.
Thank you for the recommendations sifu. Will take your advice and check around 🙇‍♂️
V429
post Jan 5 2019, 03:26 PM

1,002 posts

Kaffatsum, just remembered you mentioned the below some time ago, can you share your experience of how did it went? Because I am in somewhat similar situation as well.

QUOTE(Kaffatsum @ Sep 17 2018, 11:38 AM)
For polishing, would it be possible to do 1-2 sections of the car at a time? And then repeat wash, clay, dry, ipa step everyday for whatever section I wanted to polish?

The reason I ask is because my car is parked outside without much shading. Meaning I would try and polish as much of the car as I can before it gets too hot and sunny.
celciuz
post Jan 5 2019, 05:16 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Jan 5 2019, 03:26 PM)
Kaffatsum, just remembered you mentioned the below some time ago, can you share your experience of how did it went? Because I am in somewhat similar situation as well.
Same scenario here! No choice I did panels by panels... like day 1, hood, roof and boot... then day 2 fenders and doors... then bumpers on day 3. sometimes can stretch for weeks.. not exactly time efficient...
V429
post Jan 5 2019, 05:22 PM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(celciuz @ Jan 5 2019, 05:16 PM)
Same scenario here! No choice I did panels by panels... like day 1, hood, roof and boot... then day 2 fenders and doors... then bumpers on day 3. sometimes can stretch for weeks.. not exactly time efficient...
Yeah this is what I was thinking of, especially because I plan to polish by hand, take even longer time than polish by machines. Still not quite ready to start buying DA polishers yet..
douglas_tong
post Jan 5 2019, 06:55 PM

MaddDougg
1,719 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Jan 5 2019, 05:22 PM)
Yeah this is what I was thinking of, especially because I plan to polish by hand, take even longer time than polish by machines. Still not quite ready to start buying DA polishers yet..
I started this way. by hand. Got fed up and bought my first da years ago. Never look back lol.
there is a limitation to how much shine a hand polish can bring about.

brands you can consider on da polisher if you have around Rm800 budget:
Shinemate
OSREN

V429
post Jan 5 2019, 07:04 PM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(douglas_tong @ Jan 5 2019, 06:55 PM)
I started this way. by hand. Got fed up and bought my first da years ago. Never look back lol.
there is a limitation to how much shine a hand polish can bring about.

brands you can consider on da polisher if you have around Rm800 budget:
Shinemate
OSREN
Yeah, I suppose you are probably right that I will get fed up sooner or later, but still i think it's a hard experience worth having. Never try never know how hard it is to polish manually tongue.gif
blurcase
post Jan 5 2019, 10:36 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Jan 5 2019, 05:22 PM)
I believe many DIY detailers will start off with hand polishing in the beginning. If your interest continues to build from there, then u can consider a machine to increase your detailing efficiency.

One tip that I would like to give in hand polishing, avoid pressing harder on the pad in thinking to remove deeper scratches. It doesnt work that way. As with claying, polishing is also about consistent but lighter pressure and persistent motion over the same area and let the polish do the work.

Also, be mindful of pad cleanliness as u progress. Considering hand polishing pads are usually small, 1-2 sections of 1 panel can start overloading hand pads with residue. If possible have more than 1 pad (4-6 pads ideally), so that can wash the old one and let dry while using a new one.
Learjet35
post Jan 5 2019, 11:57 PM

500hp
1,925 posts

Guys im getting a new car next week. Black color.

Im Contemplated by putting ceramic coating or just go with the old school way wax and polish.

If old school way, any recommended interval i need to do?

V429
post Jan 6 2019, 12:25 AM

1,002 posts

Many thanks for the advice. smile.gif look forward to start the little project soon!

QUOTE(blurcase @ Jan 5 2019, 10:36 PM)
I believe many DIY detailers will start off with hand polishing in the beginning. If your interest continues to build from there, then u can consider a machine to increase your detailing efficiency.

One tip that I would like to give in hand polishing, avoid pressing harder on the pad in thinking to remove deeper scratches. It doesnt work that way. As with claying, polishing is also about consistent but lighter pressure and persistent motion over the same area and let the polish do the work.

Also, be mindful of pad cleanliness as u progress. Considering hand polishing pads are usually small, 1-2 sections of 1 panel can start overloading hand pads with residue. If possible have more than 1 pad (4-6 pads ideally), so that can wash the old one and let dry while using a new one.
blurcase
post Jan 6 2019, 01:11 AM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(Learjet35 @ Jan 5 2019, 11:57 PM)
Guys im getting a new car next week. Black color.

Im Contemplated by putting ceramic coating or just go with the old school way wax and polish.

If old school way, any recommended interval i need to do?
From my experience with my wife's black car coating (I applied it myself after doing a complete compound/polish), honestly I would prefer to recommend for u to go for sealant/wax instead of coating. The biggest issue I experienced with black car is the obviousness of water spots very early into the coating life. Over time it just becomes more obvious and worse. Dont get me wrong, after 2 years my wife's car coating is still there, the water beading is still great, but water spots are far more obvious if compared to lighter coloured cars that are coated.

As for intervals, it really depends on the durability of your sealant/wax. Typical spray wax last about 1 week, liquid paste wax could last between 1-4 weeks, all depending on your car use, your parking and weather conditions. The only way to know for sure is u need to keep and eye on the hydrophobic/hydrophilic level of your car (common term it means water beading (hydrophobic) and water sheeting (hydrophilic)). U could consider topping up your wax once the hydrophobic properties are gone.
hwang ti puh
post Jan 6 2019, 01:46 PM

21 posts

Dear sifu, what wash/treatment/car shampoo can remove this?it is on the roof at my black sedan and also some at the hood. Appreciate your feedback.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
blurcase
post Jan 6 2019, 02:53 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(hwang ti puh @ Jan 6 2019, 01:46 PM)
Dear sifu, what wash/treatment/car shampoo can remove this?it is on the roof at my black sedan and also some at the hood. Appreciate your feedback.
Hmm, from the picture it looks like a possible clearcoat failure, so this isnt something washing or chemicals can do much about in terms of removal. U could try to DIY compound a spot and see if it can be removed, if can then u could consider sending to a car detailing center to compound/polish the entire car. If DIY compound doesnt remove it, then it becomes more likely that the clearcoat is failing and probably the best option would be to respray.

Just to have a better understanding, do u park your car under hot sun regularly?
hwang ti puh
post Jan 6 2019, 03:09 PM

21 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Jan 6 2019, 02:53 PM)
Hmm, from the picture it looks like a possible clearcoat failure, so this isnt something washing or chemicals can do much about in terms of removal. U could try to DIY compound a spot and see if it can be removed, if can then u could consider sending to a car detailing center to compound/polish the entire car. If DIY compound doesnt remove it, then it becomes more likely that the clearcoat is failing and probably the best option would be to respray.

Just to have a better understanding, do u park your car under hot sun regularly?
Yes. Last time i took to polish but cant help. Possible this this due to water or rain dry out under the hot sun? I looking for any kind of polish which can help.

This post has been edited by hwang ti puh: Jan 6 2019, 03:13 PM
blurcase
post Jan 6 2019, 04:25 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(hwang ti puh @ Jan 6 2019, 03:09 PM)
Yes. Last time i took to polish but cant help. Possible this this due to water or rain dry out under the hot sun? I looking for any kind of polish which can help.
Mmm, if polishing didnt work the last round, this most likely means that the clearcoat on your paint is failing. What this means is that your clearcoat is drying up and cracking or hazing or even peeling off. This is the common case when your car is left to bake in the hot sun too frequently. From the edges of your picture, your headlights are also yellowing, confirming this theory.

Unfortunately, polishing would not be able to help you further. The minimum case scenario for your car now is to attempt wetsanding to remove the top layer of your clearcoat that is hazed and dried, then re-attempt compoundind/polishing process again to see if that helps. However, this would be a trial and error method. The best thing in my opinion for your situation unfortunately is to respray your entire car.
slk
post Jan 6 2019, 09:54 PM

Casual
326 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Jan 6 2019, 01:11 AM)
From my experience with my wife's black car coating (I applied it myself after doing a complete compound/polish), honestly I would prefer to recommend for u to go for sealant/wax instead of coating. The biggest issue I experienced with black car is the obviousness of water spots very early into the coating life. Over time it just becomes more obvious and worse. Dont get me wrong, after 2 years my wife's car coating is still there, the water beading is still great, but water spots are far more obvious if compared to lighter coloured cars that are coated.

As for intervals, it really depends on the durability of your sealant/wax. Typical spray wax last about 1 week, liquid paste wax could last between 1-4 weeks, all depending on your car use, your parking and weather conditions. The only way to know for sure is u need to keep and eye on the hydrophobic/hydrophilic level of your car (common term it means water beading (hydrophobic) and water sheeting (hydrophilic)). U could consider topping up your wax once the hydrophobic properties are gone.
have you tried acid to remove the watermarks?
slk
post Jan 6 2019, 10:00 PM

Casual
326 posts

QUOTE(Kaffatsum @ Jan 5 2019, 11:47 AM)
Any tips or tricks on paint inspection for swirls/scratches?
Recommendations for lights? I would think you need one LED white light and one yellow light for inspection right?
eagletac TX25C2. contact kah wai : http://www.philightsophy.com/index.php
blurcase
post Jan 6 2019, 10:29 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(slk @ Jan 6 2019, 09:54 PM)
have you tried acid to remove the watermarks?
Not yet, plan to do that soon. However, I would suspect by using acid to remove watermarks on the car paint, it would strip or degrade the coating as well, yes?
slk
post Jan 7 2019, 08:30 AM

Casual
326 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Jan 6 2019, 10:29 PM)
Not yet, plan to do that soon. However, I would suspect by using acid to remove watermarks on the car paint, it would strip or degrade the coating as well, yes?
acid can only remove watermark deposits not etching.... so it depends on what issue are you facing smile.gif
blurcase
post Jan 7 2019, 09:36 AM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(slk @ Jan 7 2019, 08:30 AM)
acid can only remove watermark deposits not etching.... so it depends on what issue are you facing smile.gif
Well, the big issue is definitely the watermarks on the entire car (including windshield, windows and side mirrors), however I am unsure if etching had happened already or not.

On some past discussion with fellow forumers here and from other forums do confirm that ceramic coatings are watermarks magnet. Since my wife’s car was coated with Camui coating by myself 2 years ago, I am assuming the same issues apply.
slk
post Jan 7 2019, 09:42 AM

Casual
326 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Jan 7 2019, 09:36 AM)
Well, the big issue is definitely the watermarks on the entire car (including windshield, windows and side mirrors), however I am unsure if etching had happened already or not.

On some past discussion with fellow forumers here and from other forums do confirm that ceramic coatings are watermarks magnet. Since my wife’s car was coated with Camui coating by myself 2 years ago, I am assuming the same issues apply.
If 2 years can recoat biggrin.gif

Coatings need Spray wax to minimize water spotting.... and a cordless blower is your best friend smile.gif

794 Pages « < 271 272 273 274 275 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0184sec    0.11    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:59 PM