Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Car Care & Detailing [V5], Caring for your car apprearance

views

blurcase
post Dec 29 2018, 12:05 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Dec 29 2018, 11:30 AM)
Just to share my experience, I finally found out why grime trail keep appearing from my car's door handle part, despite my repeated washing with brush.

It's because there is grease applied inside the handle and I usually pull it lightly to wash it with brush, so I suppose grease mixed with soapy water is what caused it to form the grime trail.

Maybe next time I should just wash the outside of the door handle.

user posted image
That is one probability. The other one is that rain trails most frequent at car edges, door handles being one of them. To know for sure, try use your water hose to spray your car and see where water trails.
V429
post Dec 29 2018, 01:12 PM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Dec 29 2018, 12:05 PM)
That is one probability. The other one is that rain trails most frequent at car edges, door handles being one of them. To know for sure, try use your water hose to spray your car and see where water trails.
I know what you mean, just that based on my observations only door handle have this problem even until now. Other parts that used to have grime trails like side mirror and corners of windows, no longer have this problem after few time of washing with brush.

I suppose I will experiment a bit in the coming weeks by not wash the insides of the door handle and see what happens.
celciuz
post Jan 3 2019, 07:16 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,509 posts

Cars manufacturers like Honda love to use the piano black finishing which are swirls/scratch magnets... what would be the best way to polish it? Plastx?

Also wondering the ever popular and expensive iBrid... does it have a cheaper alternatives?

This post has been edited by celciuz: Jan 3 2019, 07:25 AM
V429
post Jan 4 2019, 03:52 PM

1,002 posts

Hi Bro, I suppose sifus are busy currently. Haha. Why not try Meguiars Ultimate polish? Remember hearing before that Honda paint is very soft or 'sticky'.

Can't help u with the iBrid Coz I myself also have no idea tongue.gif

QUOTE(celciuz @ Jan 3 2019, 07:16 AM)
Cars manufacturers like Honda love to use the piano black finishing which are swirls/scratch magnets... what would be the best way to polish it? Plastx?

Also wondering the ever popular and expensive iBrid... does it have a cheaper alternatives?
celciuz
post Jan 4 2019, 04:28 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,509 posts

QUOTE(V429 @ Jan 4 2019, 03:52 PM)
Hi Bro, I suppose sifus are busy currently. Haha. Why not try Meguiars Ultimate polish? Remember hearing before that Honda paint is very soft or 'sticky'.

Can't help u with the iBrid Coz I myself also have no idea tongue.gif
The black plastic is actually.. plastic, not a paint finishing... so was wondering hmm.gif cause I just "de-chrome" my car's grill to black piano... before install I coated it with those SiO2 from Osren.. but while doing it I also scratched a bit ah doi! Damn even when I handled with a lot of care haha...
nebula87
post Jan 4 2019, 04:37 PM

Fg = mg
1,308 posts

Guys, need help from you guys.

Last week I waxed my car with Soft99 Extreme Gloss and terkena my fender (those SUV wheels arc with unpainted Grey plastic)

The wax got stain over there and unable to remove...any idea how to remove the wax stain?
#Victor
post Jan 4 2019, 04:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,600 posts

QUOTE(nebula87 @ Jan 4 2019, 04:37 PM)

Last week I waxed my car with Soft99 Extreme Gloss and terkena my fender (those SUV wheels arc with unpainted Grey plastic)

The wax got stain over there and unable to remove...any idea how to remove the wax stain?
Would like to know this too... I waxed on side mirror plastic and plastic on windscreen assembly, when first waxed it looks shiny and gloss but after sun burn and rain, white stain start to appear.
douglas_tong
post Jan 4 2019, 04:44 PM

MaddDougg
1,719 posts

QUOTE(#Victor @ Jan 4 2019, 04:40 PM)
Would like to know this too... I waxed on side mirror plastic and plastic on windscreen assembly, when first waxed it looks shiny and gloss but after sun burn and rain, white stain start to appear.
On plastics or rubber.

The dirty little secret is to use eraser. Rubber eraser.

This msg will be self destructed in 2 days time lol

nebula87
post Jan 4 2019, 04:46 PM

Fg = mg
1,308 posts

QUOTE(douglas_tong @ Jan 4 2019, 04:44 PM)
On plastics or rubber.

Oh my...I will set this quote as my Signature then... icon_idea.gif
#Victor
post Jan 4 2019, 04:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,600 posts

QUOTE(douglas_tong @ Jan 4 2019, 04:44 PM)
On plastics or rubber.

Plastic and rubber mixed? The one at roof, side mirror cover and windscreen assembly.
user posted image
nebula87
post Jan 4 2019, 04:50 PM

Fg = mg
1,308 posts

QUOTE(#Victor @ Jan 4 2019, 04:47 PM)
Plastic and rubber mixed? The one at roof, side mirror cover and windscreen assembly.
user posted image
This looks like your plastic and rubber mixed got destroyed by acidic rains or something else..
#Victor
post Jan 4 2019, 04:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,600 posts

QUOTE(nebula87 @ Jan 4 2019, 04:50 PM)
This looks like your plastic and rubber mixed got destroyed by acidic rains or something else..
Nono, this is the image from Google to show the object. Mine do not look like that, will capture photo when next visit to my car biggrin.gif
V429
post Jan 4 2019, 04:58 PM

1,002 posts

Oh, didn't realise it's plastic, haha. As far as I know, nothing much we can do after it is scratched. Maybe can DIY spray paint it? I remember seeing a forensic detailing video before that he spray painted interior plastic.

QUOTE(celciuz @ Jan 4 2019, 04:28 PM)
The black plastic is actually.. plastic, not a paint finishing... so was wondering  hmm.gif cause I just "de-chrome" my car's grill to black piano... before install I coated it with those SiO2 from Osren.. but while doing it I also scratched a bit ah doi! Damn even when I handled with a lot of care haha...
douglas_tong
post Jan 4 2019, 05:15 PM

MaddDougg
1,719 posts

user posted image
rip.
cannot be saved
blurcase
post Jan 4 2019, 06:13 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(celciuz @ Jan 3 2019, 07:16 AM)

PlastX is a way to try, but handle with care. Test spot first and dont gungho. If it doesnt remove your swirls/scratches then it possibly will add more.

If not mistaken Plastx is a Diminishing Abrasives Technology (DAT) type of polish, which means the longer u work the polish, the more the abrasives will diminish to nothing left, which maybe can restore to piano finish or very close.

As douglas_tong mentioned, pencil eraser is one common method. This is especially useful for smooth surfaced plastic/rubber. For fenders that are rough textured plastic/rubber, then a combination of pencil eraser for first pass, then follow up with a medium bristle toothbrush with APC of your choice. This is because for textured plastic/rubber, the pencil eraser can only clear the surface top layer of wax residue, and the embedded wax cannot reach.

user posted image
For this particular picture and this particular problem, one way I find effective in somewhat reducing and also probably masking such defects is to clean thoroughly with APC, and then apply an exterior protectant. That should even out most of those hideous spots.
VeeJay
post Jan 4 2019, 06:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,763 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Jan 4 2019, 06:13 PM)
PlastX is a way to try, but handle with care. Test spot first and dont gungho. If it doesnt remove your swirls/scratches then it possibly will add more.

If not mistaken Plastx is a Diminishing Abrasives Technology (DAT) type of polish, which means the longer u work the polish, the more the abrasives will diminish to nothing left, which maybe can restore to piano finish or very close.
As douglas_tong mentioned, pencil eraser is one common method. This is especially useful for smooth surfaced plastic/rubber. For fenders that are rough textured plastic/rubber, then a combination of pencil eraser for first pass, then follow up with a medium bristle toothbrush with APC of your choice. This is because for textured plastic/rubber, the pencil eraser can only clear the surface top layer of wax residue, and the embedded wax cannot reach.
For this particular picture and this particular problem, one way I find effective in somewhat reducing and also probably masking such defects is to clean thoroughly with APC, and then apply an exterior protectant. That should even out most of those hideous spots.
#Victor The other way you may want to try is using tar remover to clean the railing and then use cleaner wax to further remove and even out the damage part and then maintain it with general rubber wax/softener
#Victor
post Jan 4 2019, 07:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,600 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Jan 4 2019, 06:53 PM)
#Victor The other way you may want to try is using tar remover to clean the railing and then use cleaner wax to further remove and even out the damage part and then maintain it with general rubber wax/softener
Wouldn't that wipe off my just applied wax? Btw, that picture is not my roof strip condition, my problem is there are a lot whitish after got sunburn and rain due to waxing on it.
Kaffatsum
post Jan 5 2019, 11:47 AM

On my way
599 posts

Any tips or tricks on paint inspection for swirls/scratches?
Recommendations for lights? I would think you need one LED white light and one yellow light for inspection right?
VeeJay
post Jan 5 2019, 12:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,763 posts

QUOTE(#Victor @ Jan 4 2019, 07:04 PM)
Wouldn't that wipe off my just applied wax? Btw, that picture is not my roof strip condition, my problem is there are a lot whitish after got sunburn and rain due to waxing on it.
didnt really get your question. the cleaning should be done on the plastic/rubber strip and not the body paint....kalau kena sikit sikit, just rewax that area
blurcase
post Jan 5 2019, 01:17 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(Kaffatsum @ Jan 5 2019, 11:47 AM)
Any tips or tricks on paint inspection for swirls/scratches?
Recommendations for lights? I would think you need one LED white light and one yellow light for inspection right?
Locally, u can contact Osren/SGCB for what they have to offer. Another local alternative is to visit places like Mount Explorer in Subang (https://www.gadgetworld2u.com/) to look for quality torchlights.

If order from overseas, u can try this place:

https://www.fasttech.com/

For light recommendations, generally the best light would be daylight type of bulb/led light, which falls around the 4200k range. 3500k is considered warm white or yellow based on your interpretation, and 6500k is cool white or white based on your interpretation.

Personally I think anything beyond 500 lumens is too bright for detailing, as the light reflection shining back to your eyes would most probably blind u and unable to properly see defects. As I know the original Rupes pen light is only about 100 lumens, and the scangrip ones are 650 and above (which I kinda think overkill but maybe I'm wrong).

Feel free to buy a small variety based on your budget, and test them against your existing cars to know which one works and which doesnt.

794 Pages « < 270 271 272 273 274 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0180sec    0.09    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:22 AM